HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I don't know what to think about Kilger?????

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Price is the Future

vCash: 500
I don't know what to think about Kilger?????

If Kilger could always play like tonight, he wouldn't be in the position he's in right now.... Why wait to have your back to the wall before giving all you got... the coach should at least get a certain amount of effort from every player, every night ... i think we (the fans) seserve that too !!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all know the kid as potential, but he should at least give it all he has every time he's on the ice !!!

Old
01-04-2004, 06:07 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Fan
If Kilger could always play like tonight, he wouldn't be in the position he's in right now.... Why wait to have your back to the wall before giving all you got... the coach should at least get a certain amount of effort from every player, every night ... i think we (the fans) seserve that too !!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all know the kid as potential, but he should at least give it all he has every time he's on the ice !!!
We're now in a good position... when (if) he plays as if his job is a given, we can send him down to Hamilton. He cleared once so I think we don't have to waive him again to send him down. (I think...)

Old
01-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Lil Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
We're now in a good position... when (if) he plays as if his job is a given, we can send him down to Hamilton. He cleared once so I think we don't have to waive him again to send him down. (I think...)
I believe the rule is something like if he plays 10 games or is up for 30 days, then he would have to clear waivers to be sent down again. But if he plays the next 9 games like he did today, and gets into a grove, I think there is still a spot for him on the club.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:31 PM
RE-HABS

Typical Kilger, out of the line-up for a while and he comes back and plays hard, hits everything in sight and doesn't do anything stupid. He plays simple hockey and nothing fancy, but it works. But as it always goes it will disappear in a game or two. If Kilger wants to last in Montreal or the NHL for that matter he should do like he is now, play every game like it is his last and keep it simple.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:34 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Typical Kilger, out of the line-up for a while and he comes back and plays hard, hits everything in sight and doesn't do anything stupid. He plays simple hockey and nothing fancy, but it works. But as it always goes it will disappear in a game or two. If Kilger wants to last in Montreal or the NHL for that matter he should do like he is now, play every game like it is his last and keep it simple.
I think a trip to Hamilton might do him wonders... it'd give him confidence (if he takes it as a challenge) and loads of ice-time. He'd be a good compliment to Balej, too.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:45 PM
RE-HABS

I'm wondering if his eye injury is something in the back of his mind? Is it holding him back from playing his size properly?

But a trip to Hamilton to play more and to learn from Doug Jarvis may do his game a world of good!

Old
01-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Corey

Just be thankful he's available at a time the Habs have injuries.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:58 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Just be thankful he's available at a time the Habs have injuries.
There are a lot of kids in Hamilton playing really well and are deserving of a call up to show them that that club is noticing and want to give them an audition now before it gets too close to playoff time, because if we are close to a spot with others close behind...well there won't be too many call ups at that time of the season.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I'm wondering if his eye injury is something in the back of his mind? Is it holding him back from playing his size properly?

But a trip to Hamilton to play more and to learn from Doug Jarvis may do his game a world of good!
The Habs are Kilger's 6th team. If that alone can't incite him to play hard consistently then there's something inherently lacking in his desire to play the game. The eye injury doesn't explain why 5 teams have given up on him.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:18 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
The Habs are Kilger's 6th team. If that alone can't incite him to play hard consistently then there's something inherently lacking in his desire to play the game. The eye injury doesn't explain why 5 teams have given up on him.
I know what your trying to say, but what I'm saying is maybe playing with the visor and having the eye injury is something in the back of his mind holding him back from going out there and trying to play physical and from getting into little tusles or causing a little commotion out there. Not being able to drop the gloves because of fear of re-injury the eye may be a mental thing and it may be another element affecting his play and career. He had the talent, he was mismanaged and that totally hurt his career.

Maybe he should be sent to the Wild where all former 1st rounders manage to play a little closer to their potential and have more success?

Old
01-04-2004, 07:31 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:

Kilger is useless to the Canadien he doesn't have anymore more upside , he is done ...

Old
01-04-2004, 07:33 PM
HabsBaby18*

Kilger is useless to the Canadien he doesn't have anymore more upside , he is done ... Stop with the potential thing , we have seen too much what he can and can't do on a regular basis.

Last edited by HabsBaby18: 01-05-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old
01-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Traitor8

If I were Gainey, I would set a meeting between:

Myself(Gainey)
Claude Julien
Chad Kilger

We will talk to him and tell him, you have to play like a power forward or your days in the Nhl are done, will send you to the AHL or maybe even to the ECHL or something. You cleared waivers, nobody wants you but we feel that you have potentiel to become an amazing player. We will give you third line ice time, we want you to drive hard to the net and jump on the lose rebounds and put them back in. If you do well, you will get a change to play with Ribeiro or Koivu.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Habber

Quote:
I think it's about time we stopped talking about Kilger having potential. He's in his 9th NHL season and has played almost 500 games (480 actually which is 25 more than Koivu). He's a veteran, not a kid. If he hasn't shown any consistency so far, why all the sudden would he show some now? I also don't buy the eye injury arguement because he played 460 games without the eye injury and he looks no different since it happenned. Neither should he require a meeting with Gainey or anyone for that matter. He should know by now what he has to do to to stay in the NHL.

Face facts, he's a bust and only a borderline NHL'er who will never play more than a 4th line role on a non-playoff team. I'm glad we're getting rid of him.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:42 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

Myself(Gainey)
Claude Julien
Chad Kilger

We will talk to him and tell him, you have to play like a power forward or your days in the Nhl are done, will send you to the AHL or maybe even to the ECHL or something. You cleared waivers, nobody wants you but we feel that you have potentiel to become an amazing player. We will give you third line ice time, we want you to drive hard to the net and jump on the lose rebounds and put them back in. If you do well, you will get a change to play with Ribeiro or Koivu.
Maybe they already done that in the past ...

Old
01-04-2004, 07:44 PM
HabsBaby18*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I think it's about time we stopped talking about Kilger having potential. He's in his 9th NHL season and has played almost 500 games (480 actually which is 25 more than Koivu). He's a veteran, not a kid. If he hasn't shown any consistency so far, why all the sudden would he show some now? I also don't buy the eye injury arguement because he played 460 games without the eye injury and he looks no different since it happenned.

Face facts, he's a bust and only a borderline NHL'er who will never play more than a 4th line role on a non-playoff team. I'm glad we're getting rid of him.
Let's not focuss on Kilger pass 1st round pick , let's focuss more on Michael Ryder who was taken in the 8th round , shall we ?

Last edited by HabsBaby18: 01-04-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old
01-04-2004, 07:47 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

Myself(Gainey)
Claude Julien
Chad Kilger

That conversation would be a lot different if you ask me. They may say to him "you can be an every day contributor to this team and be a good role player" (not an amazing player, that isn't him and will never be him).

"If you go out there and utilize your size properly and play 100% game in and game out we believe you can be a good checking forward to play with Juneau and Dackell against top line in this league. "We have faith in you, now it is in your hands to go out there and prove it to us and to yourself"..."if not we will have to put you on waivers again and if you aren't picked up we will send you to hamilton or loan you to another team, it's your last chance Chad...make the most of it"!

Old
01-04-2004, 08:55 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Viking
But if he plays the next 9 games like he did today, and gets into a grove, I think there is still a spot for him on the club.
Oh give me a break. I love Kilger off the ice, but I have watched him for so many years do absolutely nothing. Nothing. At least Audette showed up for the playoffs...

I am so sick of people saying "the Habs need size" and then pointing to Kilger as our size. He doesn't hit. He doesn't score. He has no speed and is not dedicated. He's basically courtnall in the corners and when the chips are down. I swear Zholtok hit more than Kilger ever has.

You are right about tonight's game though, Kilger played well. But if you have to be sent down to make you do your (well - paid) job, well, that opens up a whole new can of worms.

Again, I think Chadwick is a very nice fellow and I wish him all the luck, but I would rather see a smaller guy who used what he had than a big guy who ignores his role.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Blackshad

We should keep Kilger if we make the playoff.
We will need him.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Traitor8

why ???????

Old
01-05-2004, 03:00 AM
Medicine Twin

Send him to Hamilton. Once Perreault, Gratton and Sunny come back there's not gonna be room on the roster. Of course, Gratton could be sent down too...

Old
01-05-2004, 04:35 AM
Marchy79

Well, it is my understanding that Gainey CAN play Kilger 10 games before having Chad re-clear waivers to be sent down. IMHO, I thinlk he deserves at least another game due to his good/great performance against Washington... This kid wants to play HERE, But has been enigmatic at best. I thought it was a great oppurtunity for us to be able to send Chad down for some conditioning. I still believe Chad has a lot to offer us (as shown yesterday, when he was buzzing all over the ice).

He honestly seems to be too nice to play this way... but now that his back is against the fire, perhaps he realizes that he needs to show this consistent effort night in, night out. He was buzzing all over the place, I watched the game, I believe there was only one so-so shift I saw him play. He was one of the top players in the game for sure last night... Hence, why I think he should be in the line up for the next game. Should Sunny be ready to play... I think he should take Dagenais' role in the line up.

Sundstrom IMHO, has been very solid during the past quarter. He struggled coming out of the gates, but this second quarter he has been a fixture to our defensive awareness.

Personally, I'd love to see Kilger snag a Centerman role on the bottom 2 lines.
a line of
Bulis - Kilger (last night's version) - Sundstrom (second quarter version)

IMHO could be very effective against many of the top lines in the Eastern conference.

Now if Gainey can land another big center like Jason Arnott... I'd be very content with this team's future direction in to the next 42 games/play-offs

Old
01-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I think it's about time we stopped talking about Kilger having potential. He's in his 9th NHL season and has played almost 500 games (480 actually which is 25 more than Koivu). He's a veteran, not a kid. If he hasn't shown any consistency so far, why all the sudden would he show some now? I also don't buy the eye injury arguement because he played 460 games without the eye injury and he looks no different since it happenned. Neither should he require a meeting with Gainey or anyone for that matter. He should know by now what he has to do to to stay in the NHL.

Nail on the head. Potential, 1st rounder, size.... these are main reasons that Chad has been drawing a NHL paycheck for 9 years. Truth is that a package such as him is hard to give up on. Every coach and GM think that they are the ones who can turn a player around.

Then you see him play. He has speed, but only in a straight line. He has size, but only hits after a bonfire is lit under his ass, then in a game or two he disappears. He has born mean streak-free. Soft as a grape.

He is not what I would call depth. He is what I would call filler.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:40 AM
Marchy79

See I disagree that Kilger has been a complete bust... He's had some promising seasons, that can be said...

2 times he hit 15 goals(well once, 14 but close enough), and he even posted 32 points in the season he came over from Edmonton.
Problem is, he hasn't broken 10 goals for 2 seasons now... But his previous efforts prove to me that there is some game there.

Another talent he has that is not mentioned is that his shot is hard. He does have the package, but it seems to me that he has a 10 cent head for the game. This is the guy I completely believe Bob is working on, and I believe he'll be reformed come September 2004 Training camp. I do know this is a case of same old, same old... But even Chad is starting to realize that his playing career is on the line (as the line to grab him on waivers was non-existent).

If it were me (Gainey's shoes) I'd do what Gretz said Walt did to him on his Ultimate Gretzky DVD... and send him home in the summer with a bunch of hockey tapes, get him with a drawing board, and have him draw lines as to the puck movement in any given game. Just so that he could get some hockey sense... He has the ability to be a premier checking line forward (as the facets to his talents are more than 2/3 of the league)... And if he were to pick up SOME scoring ability... he'd make a great addition to this club... By doing such, he'd also realize that the one blessing he has in his life is that an NHL career is a great full-time job to have, Doing this would IMHO, bring a completly different Kilger next year.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:55 AM
Darz

The only reason Kilger has played in the NHL as long as he has is because he has the ability to have a game like the one against the Caps from time to time. The question is, can he play this way on a regular basis?? He hasn't proven he can in 9 years and until he does he won't have a regular NHL spot anywhere. I assume Kilger's game versus the Caps will give him another game in the lineup, but you have to believe his leash is VERY short.

Closed Thread