HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Future looking good for U.S. on "D"?

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2003, 07:01 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Future looking good for U.S. on "D"?

I was watching several of the games last night and noticed that several American defensemen played key roles in their team's decisions:

Mara
Tanabe
Leopold
Berard
Sauer

Throw in guys like Komisarek, Orpik, Whitney, Suter, Hainsey etc and things aren't looking so bad.

With all of the talk of the next generation of American players being less than stellar, and think the test of time will prove otherwise. Just an observation.

Old
12-08-2003, 07:21 AM
L3DZ3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
I was watching several of the games last night and noticed that several American defensemen played key roles in their team's decisions:

Mara
Tanabe
Leopold
Berard
Sauer

Throw in guys like Komisarek, Orpik, Whitney, Suter, Hainsey etc and things aren't looking so bad.

With all of the talk of the next generation of American players being less than stellar, and think the test of time will prove otherwise. Just an observation.
Imo those guys are not too impressive.I dont think they will be able to replace Chelios,Housley and co.

Old
12-08-2003, 07:26 AM
Hecht

can't they replace chelios with Tselios?

Old
12-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3DZ3P
Imo those guys are not too impressive.I dont think they will be able to replace Chelios,Housley and co.

I'm not saying they will replace a legend like Chelios. All I'm saying is that the next generation of American defensemen looks promising.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 12-08-2003 at 07:47 AM.
Old
12-08-2003, 07:33 AM
Takeo

Quote:
I'm not saying they will replace a legend like Chelios. All I'm saying is that there the next generation of American defensemen looks promising.
Trashing that hotel room a few years back is legendary indeed.

Old
12-08-2003, 07:48 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21

Finally! A post of substance!

Old
12-08-2003, 07:51 AM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
How is that even relevant?? All you are doing is prooving the guys point. He's trying to say that the US will have a good future, and you're saying that they have a bad past. Please go flame somewhere else.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:09 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Tanabe, Mara, and Berard?

Is this the all-turnover team?

I think we would be better served to use some guys that were actually responsible in their own end. However, Tanabe's speed would be rather effective on that big olympic ice surface.

Tselios can't even stick as a regular in the NHL, much less international play

Old
12-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
Tanabe, Mara, and Berard?

Is this the all-turnover team?

I think we would be better served to use some guys that were actually responsible in their own end. However, Tanabe's speed would be rather effective on that big olympic ice surface.

Tselios can't even stick as a regular in the NHL, much less international play

Perhaps you have better insights than I, but I've watched alot of Phoenix hockey this year, and both Mara and Tanabe are playing extremely well. Berard is a great offensive presence, I never suggested he's a great all-around D-man.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:30 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Perhaps you have better insights than I, but I've watched alot of Phoenix hockey this year, and both Mara and Tanabe are playing extremely well. Berard is a great offensive presence, I never suggested he's a great all-around D-man.
Well, the only player out of the three that I wouldn't consider myself a very reliable source on would be Paul Mara simply because he plays out West and I don't get as much access to those teams.

David Tanabe i've watched since his rookie season and I pretty much know all the aspects of his game that you have to look out for. This guy is just inexplicably prone to missing assignments. I have no idea why his assignment slips his mind or why he forgets the puck sometimes but it happens at least once or twice a game, and in olympic play with the talent level of forwards they have, are going to jump all over it. He's a fine skater and when he's on he's one of the best offensive defenseman around but when he's off he will stink up the place in a hurry.

As for Bryan Berard, i've had the chance to see him with both Boston and NYR since returning from that eye injury and his defensive play leaves something to be desired. He used to be able to get away with that during his days with Toronto before the eye injury because he was so offensive, but now that his numbers have eased off a little his value to a team has as well. While I feel that he is a great story, he's not a defenseman I would covet anymore.

Just my two cents.

Old
12-08-2003, 09:09 AM
BruinsGirl

Add Jeff Jillson and our (B's) prospect who is also somewhat promising Mark Stuart.

And how about Mike Komisarek?

Old
12-08-2003, 10:00 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Mark Eaton with the Nashville Predators has really looked good this season.

Old
12-08-2003, 10:22 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Well, the only player out of the three that I wouldn't consider myself a very reliable source on would be Paul Mara simply because he plays out West and I don't get as much access to those teams.

David Tanabe i've watched since his rookie season and I pretty much know all the aspects of his game that you have to look out for. This guy is just inexplicably prone to missing assignments. I have no idea why his assignment slips his mind or why he forgets the puck sometimes but it happens at least once or twice a game, and in olympic play with the talent level of forwards they have, are going to jump all over it. He's a fine skater and when he's on he's one of the best offensive defenseman around but when he's off he will stink up the place in a hurry.
Ever heard of players developing their games? I can remember back when Naslund sucked, Bertuzzi was a nobody, and Joe Thornton was a marginal player. Things change.

12-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey
Ever heard of players developing their games? I can remember back when Naslund sucked, Bertuzzi was a nobody, and Joe Thornton was a marginal player. Things change.
So you're proposing that Tanabe has changed forever due to the 25+ games he has played in Phoenix as opposed to the 200+ he played in Carolina? Interesting.

Yes, in fact, I have heard of players developing their games. But i've also heard of players playing above expectations for a little while upon changing teams due to the extra pressure they place on themselves. I'm really nobody to say that he's going to revert back to this, but you aren't anyone to say he's not either. I'm simply going upon past precidents with this player and that is usually the most reliable.

Old
12-08-2003, 10:30 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
So you're proposing that Tanabe has changed forever due to the 25+ games he has played in Phoenix as opposed to the 200+ he played in Carolina? Interesting.

Yes, in fact, I have heard of players developing their games. But i've also heard of players playing above expectations for a little while upon changing teams due to the extra pressure they place on themselves. I'm really nobody to say that he's going to revert back to this, but you aren't anyone to say he's not either. I'm simply going upon past precidents with this player and that is usually the most reliable.
Well, only time will tell, but maybe he just needed a change of scenery? 25+ games, plus practices and training camp is a lot of time. Maybe you're just mad because he's not on Carolina and he's developing?

Old
12-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Maybe you're just mad because he's not on Carolina and he's developing?
Actually, that trade made me pretty happy on draft day. Danny Markov has come over and proven that he is a true first paring defenseman, which is something we haven't had here in Carolina for a long time. His defense has been incredible and he's actually been posting points. Thats another thing we haven't seen since Sandis Ozolinsh but Markov is doing it playing defense as well.

Tanabe had long worn out his welcome here in Carolina and you weren't going to find too many fans that would really make too much noise over him being dealt. I personally don't have any problems with him developing on Phoenix since they're playing in another conference, I just know this guy's game front to back and was just trying to impart a little of that knowledge to posters who hadn't quite seen as much of him as I have. Besides, he had a bad attitude here and that was something not welcome in a lockerroom full of the character veterans we have.

Tanabe fooled me before in 98-99 with his 7G 22A performance. So needless to say, it's going to take quite a bit to prove to me that he's finally "broken out" for good.

Old
12-08-2003, 10:57 AM
John Flyers Fan

Where team USA will have problems is that there seems like a big gap in the talent.

What the US lacks is much top end talent in the 25-30 age range.

Over 30: Modano, Weight, Roenick, Amonte, LeClair, Tkachuk, Leetch, Chelios, Schnieder, Miller, Hull, Richter etc. etc.

There seems to be a gap, and then the US has recently started producing what looks like top end talent again, but still a few years from being able to lead US team to wins in a best-on-best tournament.

This years World Cup will be the USA's best chance to win a major even for the forseeable future.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:39 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Where team USA will have problems is that there seems like a big gap in the talent.

Over 30: Modano, Weight, Roenick, Amonte, LeClair, Tkachuk, Leetch, Chelios, Schnieder, Miller, Hull, Richter etc. etc.

There seems to be a gap, and then the US has recently started producing what looks like top end talent again, but still a few years from being able to lead US team to wins in a best-on-best tournament.

This years World Cup will be the USA's best chance to win a major even for the forseeable future.

I would agree, although the U.S. of late has fared very well in junior aged tournaments, and is a favorite to win the WJC's this year in Finland. The World Cup will feature a veteran U.S. squad, but most of those players are still in their prime. The real questions will be raised for the 2006 Olympics, and it's unknown if NHL players will even be participating in that event.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:40 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Add Jeff Jillson and our (B's) prospect who is also somewhat promising Mark Stuart.

And how about Mike Komisarek?

Again, I'm going by what I've seen through Center Ice, but Jillson looks good. Any insights from Bruin fans? Stuart should be a good stay-at-home guy, which is important, because many of the American D-men I consider "promising" are of the offensive defenseman type.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:43 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Well, only time will tell, but maybe he just needed a change of scenery? 25+ games, plus practices and training camp is a lot of time. Maybe you're just mad because he's not on Carolina and he's developing?

Well, we share the same perspective. I acknowledge that Tanabe wore out his welcome with the Hurricanes, but he clearly has the confidence of Coyotes management, as he's logging over 20+ minutes a night, dictating the attack, and being somewhat defensively responsible.

Old
12-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Good insight, there's a bit of mid range talent in the 25-30 age bracket, but not too much of that either (Drury and Cole come to mind).

I'd also like to throw JM Liles name out there from the Avs camp. He might not be a shoe in on future USA squads, but looks very sharp this season. It'll be interesting to see what happens when he starts getting some reall PP time on the Avs unit.

Old
12-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Don't Forget Tim Gleason.

Old
12-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Pittsburgh's top 3 D prospects are American: Orpik, Whitney, Welch.

Old
12-08-2003, 05:10 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Good insight, there's a bit of mid range talent in the 25-30 age bracket, but not too much of that either (Drury and Cole come to mind).

Drury, Cole, Poti & York. No star players.

Old
12-08-2003, 05:43 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Again, I'm going by what I've seen through Center Ice, but Jillson looks good. Any insights from Bruin fans? Stuart should be a good stay-at-home guy, which is important, because many of the American D-men I consider "promising" are of the offensive defenseman type.

Jillson is still young and makes his mistakes...but IMHO he is MUCH better than Berard(at least after Bryan's injury) on both sides of the ice.
He can score timely goals, play QB on PP and also be physical D.

I can't say anything about Stuart at this moment but heard only good things about him.

Closed Thread