HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Future looking good for U.S. on "D"?

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 07:42 AM
MentalPowerHouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
I was watching several of the games last night and noticed that several American defensemen played key roles in their team's decisions:

Mara
Tanabe
Leopold
Berard
Sauer

Throw in guys like Komisarek, Orpik, Whitney, Suter, Hainsey etc and things aren't looking so bad.

With all of the talk of the next generation of American players being less than stellar, and think the test of time will prove otherwise. Just an observation.
I don't see any great players there, not impressed at all. I doubt any of these guys will ever compete for a Norris, except maybe Suter some day but it's too early to say. He is the only one on the list I think has a chance to be great.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:54 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalPowerHouse
I don't see any great players there, not impressed at all. I doubt any of these guys will ever compete for a Norris, except maybe Suter some day but it's too early to say. He is the only one on the list I think has a chance to be great.

I think people are missing my point. I never said any of these guys will compete for a Norris. I've seen alot of people badmouth the future (especially the near future) of U.S. hockey, including defensemen, and I don't think it's warranted.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:01 PM
RoyIsALegend*

And my country's got Redden, Jovanovski, Morris, Brewer, Bouwmeester, Stuart, etc. all coming through.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
And my country's got Redden, Jovanovski, Morris, Brewer, Bouwmeester, Stuart, etc. all coming through.

That's fantastic!

Old
12-09-2003, 01:22 PM
dragonwyck

vCash:
I've seen Tanabe play a few times this year and have been EXTREMELY impressed with his play each time.

Old
12-09-2003, 02:39 PM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Apparently, from what I've heard anyways, that Mara is playing extremely good this year.

Maybe Pheonix fans can enlighten us with their insight?

Old
12-09-2003, 04:19 PM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

i dont get it, why would Jovo play for Canada, wasnt he born in eastern Europe?

Old
12-09-2003, 06:41 PM
MentalPowerHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkie
i dont get it, why would Jovo play for Canada, wasnt he born in eastern Europe?
Owen Nolan was born in Ireland. They play for Canada because this is were they grew up and learned how to play.

Back to the topic, if anything you have proved those people right. That list might have some quality NHL defensemen, and a few good prospects, but little top end talent.

Maybe my view is a little skewed cause I am Canadian and the list of good young defensemen we have. Would be interesting to compare your list to some other nations like Russia, Czechs, finland, etc. Your list may end up looking ok.

Old
12-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalPowerHouse
Owen Nolan was born in Ireland. They play for Canada because this is were they grew up and learned how to play.

Back to the topic, if anything you have proved those people right. That list might have some quality NHL defensemen, and a few good prospects, but little top end talent.

Maybe my view is a little skewed cause I am Canadian and the list of good young defensemen we have. Would be interesting to compare your list to some other nations like Russia, Czechs, finland, etc. Your list may end up looking ok.

Like I've said countless times in this thread, I'm not suggesting the present and future crop of U.S. defensemen is Norris worthy. All I'm saying is the future doesn't bleak IMO. As for the Canadian crop, yeah, Canada has produced several quality D-men in the 20-26/27 range, but how many of them are truly Norris quality? Maybe Jovanovski. perhaps Bouwmeester down the line, but Morris? Stuart? ERIC freakin BREWER? I don't think so.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 12-10-2003 at 07:48 AM.
Old
12-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Reign Nateo

Jovo's family is from Yugoslavia I beleive, but he was born and raised in Canada and has played all international outings for Canada.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:27 PM
st_roland

So are you canucks seriously saying this is a weak list of young d-men??

JM Liles
Komo
Mara
Tanabe
Leopold
Berard
Sauer
Orpik
Whitney
Suter
Hainsey
Jillson
Stuart
Eaton
Gleason
Welch

I would say theres a couple potential #1's(Leopold, Suter), 1 potential Norris winner(Suter), and a couple of potential #2's(Orpik, Jillson, Komo) . Theres a lot of talent in that group. To say it will be as good as the group from the 90's is doubtful, but we're gonna be pretty strong on the blueline.

Last edited by st_roland: 12-09-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old
12-10-2003, 05:37 AM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
So are you canucks seriously saying this is a weak list of young d-men??

JM Liles
Komo
Mara
Tanabe
Leopold
Berard
Sauer
Orpik
Whitney
Suter
Hainsey
Jillson
Stuart
Eaton
Gleason
Welch

I would say theres a couple potential #1's(Leopold, Suter), 1 potential Norris winner(Suter), and a couple of potential #2's(Orpik, Jillson, Komo) . Theres a lot of talent in that group. To say it will be as good as the group from the 90's is doubtful, but we're gonna be pretty strong on the blueline.
don't forget hale and martin in new jersey, they are pretty good as well

the new crop of american players, espically the group from the ages 18 - 23 are reallt good. they are comming along just in time to replace the old guard

Closed Thread