HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Today from Spectors - Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Oilhitch

vCash: 500
Today from Spectors - Comrie

This was posted on Spector's site today.

THE LATEST ON MIKE COMRIE.

BOSTON GLOBE: Kevin Paul Dupont reported the recent slump of the Edmonton Oilers is putting pressure on GM Kevin Lowe to move holdout centre Mike Comrie. Dupont believes Comrie is just the type of player the NY Rangers would want in exchange for Tom Poti but the Rangers got Poti from the Oilers so they won't want him back. Dupont mused on the possibility of Comrie coming to Boston. He write the Oilers would probably want Sergei Samsonov in return but might be willing to listen to an offer of Nick Boynton "if the deal were expanded".

Spector's Note: Lowe would probably be interested in Boynton but I doubt the Bruins have any interest. Their concerns are with their defensive game and I doubt they want to part with Boynton for another forward. Given Comrie's reputation for being difficult with management, that doesn't make him sound like the type of player Mike O'Connell would want.

I would be happy with Samsonov or Boynton as a retun. (A little better than Corey Perry)

It makes more sense from an Oilers standpoint but will it happen?

Your thoughts?

Old
12-08-2003, 08:51 AM
Digger12

I think Boynton's attainable given the right package, but it would be very difficult to pry Samsonov out of Boston. I'd love to have either one.

Quote:
Given Comrie's reputation for being difficult with management
See, that's what I was afraid of. And Team Comrie wonders why a trade still hasn't happened.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:58 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I think Boynton's attainable given the right package, but it would be very difficult to pry Samsonov out of Boston. I'd love to have either one.

See, that's what I was afraid of. And Team Comrie wonders why a trade still hasn't happened.

I think we all knew that someone was going to say that at some point.

He should learn to keep his mouth shut

Old
12-08-2003, 09:07 AM
goldenchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
I think we all knew that someone was going to say that at some point.

He should learn to keep his mouth shut
I was watching a bit of the Bruins Flyers game on Sat and in the 2nd intermission they were talking about how poorly Boyton has played in his own end the last few weeks, poor positioning, turning the puck over not very physical. Sounds a little too much like Poti to me but I think the Bruins would deal him and I wold rather see him than a guy like Perry. I would jump at Samsonov but I doubt they would trade him for Comrie.

Old
12-08-2003, 09:11 AM
Mizral

Spector's Notes as usual are gold. But in this case, I think Boynton could be moved.

How's this for a proposal:

Boynton, Green or Zamuner, and a 2nd round pick for Comrie and Smith?

Old
12-08-2003, 09:34 AM
H-Bear

Last week, in the guess where Comrie's going thread, I guessed Boston . Maybe my guess will be right ... what do I get for winning??

Anyhow, as for the return, I guessed at a Hannu Toivanen type package. The introduction of Boynton into the equation just expands the deal. Maybe:

Boynton, Toivanen, 2nd for Comrie, Smith?

Old
12-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Spector's Notes as usual are gold. But in this case, I think Boynton could be moved.

That is awful - Smith has been playing his best hockey in years recently would almost get us Boynton on his own right now. Adding MC and only getting Zamuner or Green back is silly.

I would love to have Boynton here - he's exactly the the kind of guy we need on on defense. Comrie would also be great as the #2 center behind Thorton. The problem is that Boston is as shallow on defense as we are so giving up Boynton without another d coming back hurts. How about a 3 way deal:

to Boston: Comrie, Brad Ference
to Phoenix: Jason Chimera
to Edmonton: Boynton, 3rd round pick

I'd drop the pick coming from Boston if it came to that - we need a dman that badly.

Old
12-08-2003, 09:41 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:

How does this trade help the Oilers?

Basically, the Oilers lose a top 4 defender, pick one up, lose a top 2 line forward and pick up a bottom 2 line forward and a pick...

not a very good deal.

Old
12-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:

I like Rob Zamuner and he would be a great addition for the Oilers special teams but he's what 35 now????????? Not to mention that the Oilers do not need another winger. Having said that im sure MacT could find room for Samsonov

To Boston:
Mike Comrie, George Laraque, Scott Ferguson, 2nd

To Edmonton:
Nick Boynton, Sergei Samsonov.

Still dunno if the Oilers are giving up enough thoughts?

Old
12-08-2003, 10:13 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
That is awful - Smith has been playing his best hockey in years recently would almost get us Boynton on his own right now. Adding MC and only getting Zamuner or Green back is silly.

I would love to have Boynton here - he's exactly the the kind of guy we need on on defense. Comrie would also be great as the #2 center behind Thorton. The problem is that Boston is as shallow on defense as we are so giving up Boynton without another d coming back hurts. How about a 3 way deal:

to Edmonton: Boynton, 3rd round pick

I'd drop the pick coming from Boston if it came to that - we need a dman that badly.

one of the most logical and even trade ideas I have seen involving comrie. Very well done.

Old
12-08-2003, 10:16 AM
Digger12

Quote:
To Boston:
Mike Comrie, George Laraque, Scott Ferguson, 2nd

To Edmonton:
Nick Boynton, Sergei Samsonov.

Still dunno if the Oilers are giving up enough thoughts?
I think there's the makings of a deal here, neither Boynton nor Samsonov have had great years, although the Bruins taking Ferguson benefits us more than them. Perhaps they'd want Allen back instead?

Problem: The Oilers would be taking on 5.2 M in salary...not including Comrie (whom we're not paying anyway) the Oilers are getting rid of 1.825 M. That's a fair chunk of change to add to the payroll.

Samsonov's contract is only for this year too, so who knows what he'd want next year...his previous contract to his current one was only 2.2 M, why did Boston give him such a big raise (making 3.65M now)?

Old
12-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Asiaoil

Samsonov is a LW (don't need more) expensive, small and over-priced at $3.6 million. He's the last thing we need right now.

Boynton on the other hand is exactly what we need but Boston needs a dman in additon to Comrie going their way. Only way to accomplish this is a 3 way deal where we deal an excess forward to the third team to get a dman Boston needs. 3 way deals are tough though.

Asiaoil wants Boynton under our Christmas tree - please Santa

Old
12-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Asiaoil wants Boynton under our Christmas tree - please Santa

Better ask nice.

While you're up there, ask him for some freaking special teams too.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I think there's the makings of a deal here, neither Boynton nor Samsonov have had great years, although the Bruins taking Ferguson benefits us more than them. Perhaps they'd want Allen back instead?

Problem: The Oilers would be taking on 5.2 M in salary...not including Comrie (whom we're not paying anyway) the Oilers are getting rid of 1.825 M. That's a fair chunk of change to add to the payroll.

Samsonov's contract is only for this year too, so who knows what he'd want next year...his previous contract to his current one was only 2.2 M, why did Boston give him such a big raise (making 3.65M now)?

I understand the salary involved. I just wanted to start a proposal that included the two players from what Specor reported.

"He write the Oilers would probably want Sergei Samsonov in return but might be willing to listen to an offer of Nick Boynton "if the deal were expanded"

Old
12-08-2003, 11:30 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
How does this trade help the Oilers?

Basically, the Oilers lose a top 4 defender, pick one up, lose a top 2 line forward and pick up a bottom 2 line forward and a pick...

not a very good deal.
Disagree completely. Smith is making more money than Boynton, and is probobly not as good as Boynton is right now (when Boynton is not slumping at least). Boynton is much younger and is closer to Eric Brewer than Jason Smith. He could potentially play with Brewer and form a legit top pairing in this league. He's also more liable to stick around for a long while, since the age thing. He's much more valuable than Smith, that's for sure.

Zamuner helps some right now. He can play all three forward positions, by the way. I was thinking he could play centre on the third or fourth line, and gives some insurance should one of the wingers get injured (Hello Ryan Smyth). Pretty versatile player. He also adds more veteran presence to a team that desperatly needs some. 2nd round pick is a second round pick.

What do you guys think you're going to get? That Samsonov & Boynton for Comrie & junk borders on laughable. How about Patrice Bergeron, McCarthy, Donato, and a pick for Hemsky and Brewer? Yeesh.

EDIT: One other bonus is that Boynton is a right-handed defenseman, which the Oilers are kind of lacking with only Staios back there who shoots right (Though I'm not sure which hand Bergeron shoots from).

Old
12-08-2003, 11:38 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
EDIT: One other bonus is that Boynton is a right-handed defenseman, which the Oilers are kind of lacking with only Staios back there who shoots right (Though I'm not sure which hand Bergeron shoots from).
Well, Smith is a righty. Bergeron is lefty.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:39 AM
momentai

Mizral.. I think the point of the matter is this. Where would we possibly fit both Travis Green and Rob Zamuner into the lineup. With Reasoner looking to come back within two weeks I would assume, Isbister healing up, etc. Where is the logical explanation for acquiring two bottom 6 forwards when, quite frankly, the Oilers are bursting there.

That, to me, is why the deal doesn't fly. We don't get rid of any forwards but add two more. Doesn't make sense from my perspective.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Disagree completely. Smith is making more money than Boynton, and is probobly not as good as Boynton is right now (when Boynton is not slumping at least). Boynton is much younger and is closer to Eric Brewer than Jason Smith. He could potentially play with Brewer and form a legit top pairing in this league. He's also more liable to stick around for a long while, since the age thing. He's much more valuable than Smith, that's for sure.

Zamuner helps some right now. He can play all three forward positions, by the way. I was thinking he could play centre on the third or fourth line, and gives some insurance should one of the wingers get injured (Hello Ryan Smyth). Pretty versatile player. He also adds more veteran presence to a team that desperatly needs some. 2nd round pick is a second round pick.

What do you guys think you're going to get? That Samsonov & Boynton for Comrie & junk borders on laughable. How about Patrice Bergeron, McCarthy, Donato, and a pick for Hemsky and Brewer? Yeesh.

The only person wanting to trade Smith to Boston is you Mizral - nobody else here wants that. I stand by my 3 way deal as the only option for landing Boynton in Edmonton:

to Edmonton: Boynton

Suggesting we trade our best dman and captain along with a 23 year old 30 goal scorer for a decent young dman who is struggling this year and an old bottom 6 forward is well..........not rocket science to use your words.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Digger12

Quote:

If we could afford to play a 34 year old guy making 2 million/yr on our bottom six, Todd Marchant would still be an Oiler.

And I don't know if I'd quantify Laraque and a 2nd round pick as 'junk'.

Old
12-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Oilhitch

Quote:
The only person wanting to trade Smith to Boston is you Mizral - nobody else here wants that. I stand by my 3 way deal as the only option for landing Boynton in Edmonton:

Suggesting we trade our best dman and captain along with a 23 year old 30 goal scorer for a decent young dman who is struggling this year and an old bottom 6 forward is well..........not rocket science to use your words.

I think that Phoenix gets the shaft here, and Boston makes out like bandits. Im not sure that as an Oiler fan that we give up on Chimera yet. And I dont think that we need to involve him in this deal. From the Oilers perspective, we have to give up Comrie & Chimera to land Boynton. IMO were giving up to much.

Old
12-08-2003, 12:22 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Boynton is more likely to stay around longer? Is that what he did in WSH or when he had his contract squabble earlier this season with BOS?

Old
12-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Mr Sakich

to modify this idea slightly:

Brad Ference has been a healthy scratch for 6 of the last 8 games in pheonix. They are looking to move him and make out like bandits if they could get chimera for a healthy scratch. IMO, they have to add a 3rd to the mix to be a player.

Boston is getting the best player and a 5/6 guy. They should be giving a 2nd to get this deal done

Edmonton is giving the best player and a great young prospect in chimmer and only getting the 2nd best player back. They are getting the shaft a little bit.

How about:

to Edmonton: Boynton, Phx 3rd, Boston 3rd.

Old
12-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
I think that Phoenix gets the shaft here, and Boston makes out like bandits. Im not sure that as an Oiler fan that we give up on Chimera yet. And I dont think that we need to involve him in this deal. From the Oilers perspective, we have to give up Comrie & Chimera to land Boynton. IMO were giving up to much.
Ference has been a healthy scratch lately and I proposed the same deal about a week ago in the trade section and it got a pretty favorable response. None of the dogs fans got out of joint about it. Boston does OK but picks up salary - not an unimportant thing these days.

Maybe the oil get a pick from the B's or dogs as well if Lowe is sharp - but that's not a deal buster - we need a dman like Boynton, Stuart etc real bad.

Last edited by Asiaoil: 12-08-2003 at 12:45 PM.
Old
12-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Ference has been a healthy scratch lately and I proposed the same deal about a week ago in the trade section and it got a pretty favorable response. None of the dogs fans got out of joint about it. Boston does OK but picks up salary - not an unimportant thing these days. Maybe the oil get a pick from the B's as well if Lowe is sharp. I still think it's pretty fair and addresses our most glaring need - a big young dman.

I agree, I think that Boynton would be a huge addition for the
oilers. I just don't want to give up on Chimiera.

Old
12-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Digger12

Quote:
I agree, I think that Boynton would be a huge addition for the
oilers. I just don't want to give up on Chimiera.
True, but you have to give to get sometimes...and at least in regards to Chimera we're giving up from a position of strength with Salmo and perhaps finally Rita waiting in the wings.

Closed Thread