HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official TOOTIN POWER GDT February 10: NY Rangers at Washington Capitals, 7:00p MSG

Old
02-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Good effort and good play all around. AALMOST every player did their job...As did Renney, fianlly...Thank God he stuck with what worked last night...And it would be something, if we fianlly had some chemisty...Too early to tell though. Best thing was that except for two bad bounces, the Rangers really limited the chances of the Caps...Thats how you win....Good physical play form alot of people.....I love Sean AVERY and the way he goes to the net---and it can be contagious.

JAGR was a beast with the puck all night...The Caps had to expend so much energy on him and he just kept on ragging it and dishing it...And Hossa is sure making me eat my words..some really good play from him.

Can't leave without a negative...WARD SUCKS...and, like Kaspar, looks like he cant keep up in this league...He's an accident waiting to happen every time he steps on the ice.

As for the near future, if Nylander and Straka stay at C, and Hossa can keep this up, the forwards just might be left alone and the deal we make is for a physical, steady D-man.

As for the lines, loved them. Orr did his job tonight but I also like seeing Holly-Betts-Orts together...And think it's something we might see more of when Dupuis is put into the line up.

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:44 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Well played Rags. The Caps has a bit of a home advantage with the crappy boards along the Geico sign... not the 1st time I've seen it...

Its amazing how this team has turned around in the last three games...

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:49 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal_NYR View Post
Seems like a pretty good fighter for a little guy.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:49 PM
crisb

By the sound of it, it looks like we won. Sounds like the game was well played. I'll be watching it soon.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

1st Star: Jaromir Jagr 3 assists giving him 1500 pts baby...milestone!

2nd Star: Rozsival Two PP goals and the GWG

3rd Star: The Geico sign in the corner with TWO assists for the Caps

Props to Hollweg for standing up for Lundqvist...

I love Sean Avery. Man is he what this team needed.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:54 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

One thing is for sure, going forward if we want to send any messages a line of Avery, Orr & Hollweg would really stir up a lot of crap. Now if we just had one Dman to put a glove, a stiff stick to the spine we could actually starting opening up ice for Jagr.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:56 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
anyone know Avery's contract status... I so want a jersey with Avery #16.... he could have picked a cooler number though... look at Dupuis... 61... :-)

Edit: I still cant believe J. Ward for Avery worked... LA got robbed... M.A. Cliche still has lots to prove... so it really is J. Ward for Avery.... WHAT A STEAL!
Sean Avery has NEW YORK RANGER written all over him. The spark he's added to this team is undeniable. He's a keeper

Old
02-10-2007, 09:58 PM
IanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
one should be asking where Nylander is...he'll be a Ranger, or there will be a UFA signing to replace him, make no mistakes about that. Dubsinky's improving, but I can't sit here and say that much should be expected of him next season. This team has been missing a second line center all season; perhaps they've missed a top centerman all season and Nylander was the second line centerman. Get rid of Nylander and replace him with Dubi and you likely create an even weaker position than you have now. Straka's done fine in two games as a centerman, but let's give this a few games and let's see them play decent teams. This has felt good, these last two games, but the competition hasn't been top notch and consistency has plagued the Rangers all season long.
Dont want to jump on the bandwagon here, but if it wasn't for those two garbage goals of the Geico sign, it would've been back-to-back 5-0 wins. You can say what you want about weak competition, but these are important games, and no win comes easy anymore. You couldn't ask for much more out of the Rangers the last two games.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:09 PM
NYROrtsFan

With the trades and lineup changes, it seems like this team has seen a quick transformation and become a pretty physical team.

Seems like Avery, Ortmeyer in there with Hollweg and Orr and then you see the others like Ward, Tyutin, and even Rozsival to an extent pick up the physical play. Girardi and Rachunek both arnt completely lost in terms of hitting either.

Think its good because Shanny and Jagr both have no problem with that play... THey take hits fine.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

not to mention that they played GREAT against the Devils and if not for Brodeur standing on his head, they woulda won that one too.

I dont think the competition is that bad when 2 of the 3 teams are in the playoffs.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:11 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Sean Avery has NEW YORK RANGER written all over him. The spark he's added to this team is undeniable. He's a keeper
Agreed, i'm loving his style. This is what has been missing and i'm hoping we lock him up for a few years this offseason.

Old
02-10-2007, 10:12 PM
NYROrtsFan

Think they would beat the Devs with these lineup changes... Before they would just throw Pandolfo and Colin White out there against Jagr and his group of 5, and go from there. Now you do that and you are wasting your two top defensive players against Jagr, Hossa and Straka while the second and third lines can really find ways to score.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:14 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Let us not forget Girardi. He's been very solid back there.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Think they would beat the Devs with these lineup changes... Before they would just throw Pandolfo and Colin White out there against Jagr and his group of 5, and go from there. Now you do that and you are wasting your two top defensive players against Jagr, Hossa and Straka while the second and third lines can really find ways to score.
Well, its important to remember, that the Rangers have picked up 7 out of a possible 12 points against the Devils going 3-2-1. They've played each other VERY evenly this year, but the addition of Avery should make things much more interesting.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:35 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

It's the Islanders who we have to beat to make the playoffs....

Old
02-10-2007, 11:08 PM
DontStaal

great win tonight!

that damn cavemen! shoulda been 4-0

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Pizza

I have to admit I did not want to lose Cliche as a prospect and was leary of Avery's rep, but holy crop has that trade lit a fire under the Rangers. I am simply amazed how having Avery has boosted the Rangers. They seem to be a completely different team from just a week ago.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Seems like a pretty good fighter for a little guy.
That's a great little movie. What a character Avery is. If he plays it smart he has the makings of a star on Broadway.

Old
02-11-2007, 12:53 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I have to admit I did not want to lose Cliche as a prospect and was leary of Avery's rep, but holy crop has that trade lit a fire under the Rangers. I am simply amazed how having Avery has boosted the Rangers. They seem to be a completely different team from just a week ago.
Agree with you man, at first I wasn't a fan of the trade but I had no idea Avery would bring as much as he is. And I'm sure he will continue to bring it all season because that is just his style of play, and that is not going to change.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:09 AM
Balej20*

As an organization, Washington should be embarrased that they feel the need to resort to tinkering with the boards in order to create an unfair advantage for themselves. If I was Renney, I would have pulled my team off the ice and demanded that they stop the game and fix the boards.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Block More Shots

Great game...solid effort from the whole team. Both Caps goals were flukes (they really gotta get those boards fixed!) but the Rangers dominated the game.

We gotta go into Carolina on Thursday and get a win. We are 4 points away from them in the standings with two games in hand on them AND two games remaining against them. Even if we lose one of the Philly/Chicago games, it's vital that we come out with a win against Carolina.

I think that if the Rangers can win their next three games, they can possibly be tied for the 8th spot or like one point away. After next weekend though, the schedule gets a bit tougher. We have to face the Devils back-to-back (home and home) and we still have the Isles four more times this season. The Isles have dominated us so far but i don't know, there's just something different about this team. Our offense and the new lines have really stepped it up.

It's good to see Hossa playing with confidence and putting pucks in the net. I know he tends to drift off after playing well for a certain amount of time but there's something different about how he's playing out there. Remember that pass to Jagr at the beginning of the 2nd period? Jagr should've buried it top shelf but that was such a great pass by Marcel. It was right on the tape and I believe between two defensemen. He's seeing the ice well and shooting a lot better. Gotta give him props for stepping his game up.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I've wanted the Rangers to get Avery since last season. I knew of his reputation but he's just such a good player. I think of him as a mini-Darcy Tucker (obviously, the points don't come as often so that's why he's a "mini" version of him). Plays with the same (even more sometimes) intensity as Tucker does. As long as he controls his PIMs, he'll make an impact on this team down the stretch.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Agree with you man, at first I wasn't a fan of the trade but I had no idea Avery would bring as much as he is. And I'm sure he will continue to bring it all season because that is just his style of play, and that is not going to change.
I think Cliche will turn out to be a hell of a player. You know Lombardi has his act together as GM. Cliche will be a solid player on one hell of a team in a few years.

As for Avery; in addition to his other assets as a player, the Rangers now seem to have a much better balance with him in the line up. Renney has finally bitten the bullet and moved Nyls to the second line. It will be interesting to see if Shanny can start scoring again with a guy that passes as well and as much as Nyls. One thing in particular I love about Avery is that he's always driving the net. As someone said last night "Shanny just has to fire it at the net because he knows Avery will be there".

Avery also lets the Rangers keep Prucha on the 3rd line where he seems very comfortable. I am anxious to see how Dupuis fits in on that line as I think Renney probably wants to puts Orts on the 4th line. Orts has been playing great though so maybe Dupuis starts out on the 4th. We'll see.

The only thing I wonder about is if the Rangers now stand pat or do they make other moves.

Anyway it's just nice to have something positive to think about where the Rangers are concerned. I hope they can keep this going.

Old
02-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Just wanted to say this... Never seen two weirder goals scored the same way in the same game by one team (the Caps goals of silly bounces of the boards)...

Kudos to Rags for overcoming the karma in that game.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Glen Hanlon was a loser as a player.Glen Hanlon is a loser as a coach

The Craps are playing games with the boards

Quote:
The NHL should be all over them for the gap in the boards," Ranger coach Tom Renney said after his team's second win in 24 hours. "To have two off terrible bounces in the opposing end is unique."

While Lundqvist and Renney implied foul play was at hand, one Ranger made the direct assertion, though he did not wish to be named. The player stated that he checked the boards in the second period and found no gap, and then checked again just a few shifts before Chris Clark tied the game 2-2 at 2:15 of the third and once again noticed it.

"There, not there, there," he said. "You tell me."
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02112007...rry_brooks.htm

Does Mr.AOL control the switch on the rigged board?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote