HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

LMHF Game Report #30

Old
02-10-2007, 01:38 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #30

EDMONTON OILERS 2

VS.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS 1
--------------------------------------

Tonight featured a true battle of the titans…no not the Oilers and Hawks but of the two LMHF’s in on-ice-contest mayhem! One of the contests we regularly lampoon; musical tubes, featured yours truly and #2 as well in a battle of the best at the end. #2 was victorious on this particular occasion, but I hope we at least mildly entertained all of you in attendance at tonight’s game.

Anyway, down to the hockey game…hey we got the two points, which is more than Calgary or Vancouver can say when it comes to their recent battles with Chicago. We played an unspectacular but effective game throughout. This was true from our goaltender through all the skaters. It might not be the flashiest way to win, but it was a win nonetheless.

Tonight was kind of strange…the puck was hopping madly in odd directions, there were far fewer people in the stands than the usual “sell-out”, people were standing during the play all the time…it was just odd.

I think I’m just going to get right into the Player stuff, my memory is fuzzy; remember of course that I missed at least 5 minutes at the end of the second period.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
-They were good I suppose, not great but good. They all logged a ton of minutes, especially at the end of the game for whatever reason, and were not really challenged on the ice at any point. The PP goal that they combined on (even though Sykora got the assist and not Hemsky) was effective but kinda ugly…Smyth and Horcoff played hot potato before finally deciding to put the puck in the net…other than that it was not too exciting of a night offensively. All had some chances, all those chances were missed even if by a very slight margin. All three made some excellent defensive plays, Horcoff specifically on a Hawk in the slot who he got to just before a dangerous shot would have happened. Nothing annoys me more than Hemsky getting penalties for less than what is done to him every game multiple times in the neutral zone, it’s just stupid. Hemsky didn’t hook, and at least Hejda’s first penalty was entirely a stick lift…they called it because he lifted Havlat’s stick…this league really has it backwards on some nights…

Pisani-Pouliot-Torres
-This was a really good line tonight. MacTavish showed great faith in Pouliot and he got an excellent performance from him. You could really tell he has his confidence back…he was bulling into corners and always coming up with the puck, hitting his lanes quickly, making excellent passing choices and taking appropriate shots. He could have had himself a couple goals tonight. Torres still isn’t Torres, but he was better tonight. There were a couple hints of physicality, and he took his customary shot off the wing and scored as opposed to passing the puck away. That was good to see. He still had a couple chances to really pummel guys and backed off…which is not what we need from him. Fernando did what he does well, no more, no less.

Lupul-Sykora-Petersen
-I dunno, they just weren’t a very good line tonight. Sykora independently was better than he’s been in a while…getting into shooting position and moving the puck confidently. We need much more of that from him. Lupul still couldn’t make the one more stride or move he needs to get scoring goals. He didn’t come that close tonight. Toby is getting behind the play more and more lately…the pace must be picking up out there.

Stortini-Reasoner-Nedved
-This line was oddly effective. I still think Nedved’s a lost cause, I mean, no way he misses on that clear break he got in the first if he was going good at all, but at least he contributed and took some dangerous shots as the game went on. He works on the fourth line much as I’d rather have Brodziak or Schremp getting a shot there. Marty was alright, but nothing spectacular. He was at least better on the faceoff dot. Stortini had a couple good solid hits, fought Martin Lapointe, and drove to the net well. A+ for him again. He’s a fixture now.

Smid-Staios
-They seemed to do pretty well tonight, but then again so did all our D, so what do you make of that? Smid had a bit of a hiccup on the first play of the game…after that he was fine. Staios was good.

Smith-Hejda
-Surprisingly good pass to Nedved by Smith to set up the clear break. He’d prove later multiple times that he’s not an effective puck-mover, but at least we had a glimpse. Hejda got victimized by the ref and was otherwise certainly decent enough.

Bergeron-Greene
-Matt Greene seemed much more settled down tonight. He was calm and solid and didn’t mess around with the puck. I was really surprised Bergeron didn’t get one tonight with as many good looks as he got on shots. He usually doesn’t need that many chances. The shot was effective in generating offensive chances though, and he moved the puck well out of his own zone save for a bad bounce that ended up in his feet and another missed pass. Good backhand pass to Torres on his goal.

Roloson
-He wasn’t all that tested for 33 shots, but when he was he was equal to the task. Bad break losing the SO after Hemsky gets that bogus penalty and Marty Havlat goes lazer-beam…what are ya gonna do.
-------------------------------------------------------

That fourth line could actually be effective for this team, and I wonder how long MacTavish sticks with it.

Should Pouliot be able to take one game and make his strong play a trend, he’ll certainly stay and I think that Petersen would find himself PB’ed nearly for good once Stoll is healthy.

Not the most exciting game again, but that’s okay. We won, and you could really tell the fans are starving for wins right now…

LMHF#1 out.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow, I'm sure not hoping off the Pouliot band wagon. I was a little nervous when he first got called up as I thought his skating had actually gotten worse then it was late last season, but tonight the kid looked great. He still needs that extra 15 pounds to put on but I actually think the way he's progressed this season that he could be ready for 2nd line duty next fall.

Stortini is the man, no questions asked! He actually looks like he'll be a rare breed of a 4th line enforcer that can be a Captain in this league. He's sticking around for a long time, seems like the type of guy that's going to LOVE a hockey mad city like Edmonton as opposed to wanting to go deep down South away from all the "pressure", simply LOVE this kid, and if you don't and you're an Oiler fan you should simply be ashamed of yourself!

Smid bugs me. The talent is there, it will come, I'm not worried about it. But kid could you please for the love of god make a pass on the original breakout instead of being so freakin worried of making a mistake! I don't want him to become a MAB type player where he makes every pass an adventure up the middle, but you can't be THAT scared to mess up. Our forwards must HATE having him back there right now because he seemingly never gets a rush going, he's always circling back behind the net and setting up all over again. I know it's safe but it also hurts our offense.

I can't believe Rollie played. I know he played rock solid but I believe this should have been Juicy's start tonight. I know the Hawks are playing great lately, but Juice could have got that win and Rollie would be fresh for Atlanta and for the roadie.

Horcoff got a typical "Horcoff" goal tonight....Smyth does all the work, and Horcoff from the bottom of the crease taps it in. Hey, I'm not saying the guy doesn't know where to be out there with those guys, I'm just saying....

I thought the team overall played well tonight, I would EXPECT this to be the first of 3 in a row. Atlanta plays at 8:00 on Saturday night vs a fired up and still playing well Canucks team....go ATL, but hopefully Vancouver gives them a rough ride, we should beat a tired team on Sunday, and we SHOULD beat the B's on Tuesday in Boston.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:39 AM
Tyrolean

Oilers won't win 3 in a row. They always lose after getting the fans hopes up.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:55 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Honestly, why do you still come here? Just to spread your negativity everywhere? When is the last time you had anything remotely positive to say? Even after a win, here you are being Mr.Negative.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:18 AM
Yanner39

Pouliot basher here. But man, he was good tonight. I'm startig to think MacT should reduced some of Sykora Petersen and Nedved's minutes and give it to him and see what he does.

One thing I noticed last night more than ever was Pouliot's lack of confidence. Given more minutes, he could get over that.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Nedveds line was the best line for the last half of the game

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:56 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Horcoff got a typical "Horcoff" goal tonight....Smyth does all the work, and Horcoff from the bottom of the crease taps it in. Hey, I'm not saying the guy doesn't know where to be out there with those guys, I'm just saying....
if anything, that was a typical Smyth goal...usually Horcoff does all the work and Smyth is there to tap it in, it was the opposite last night

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:26 AM
canadave

Just wanted to chip in something else along the lines of it being a bit of a strange game with the puck hopping all over the place, people standing, etc....did anyone else notice that the linesmen and referees seemed to be getting hit with the puck more than usual?? It seemed like almost half the time someone tried to shoot the puck in or clear it out, they nailed one of the men in stripes. Then there seemed to also be some weird bounces off the boards a few times, too.

Regarding Pouliot, I thought he started the game really well, but sort of slowed down a bit near the end. Nothing horrible, but just seemed like he maybe needs some stamina work. I guess he played the previous night, too, so maybe he was just tired. Or maybe scoring 3 goals in the minors tired him out

I thought the same with Stortini, by the way. He seemed to fade and go to sleep out there a bit near the end. There was one play where the puck came right to him on the doorstep and he didn't even react to it until it was about ten feet past him.

We sure seem to be patenting the old "finding ways to make games we should win handily difficult" routine. I'm surprised no one singled out Hemsky for being too aggressive on the forecheck in the offensive zone with a minute left--he was clearly hoping to strip the other player of the puck and get an empty net goal. Up 2 goals, you've got to back off and just play some D at that point. I love Hemsky's game, but that was a selfish play. LMHF, you spoke of the penalty being bogus, but I don't know if you had the benefit of replay at the arena...on replay it's pretty clear Hemsky hooked him. In any case, his stick was for sure close enough for the ref to call it hooking, and there's just no reason for him to be stick-checking someone inside the offensive blue line, up 2 goals with 1:00 left.

--Dave

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
They WILL win these 3.

Oilerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Draekke

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
Just wanted to chip in something else along the lines of it being a bit of a strange game with the puck hopping all over the place, people standing, etc....did anyone else notice that the linesmen and referees seemed to be getting hit with the puck more than usual?? It seemed like almost half the time someone tried to shoot the puck in or clear it out, they nailed one of the men in stripes. Then there seemed to also be some weird bounces off the boards a few times, too.

Regarding Pouliot, I thought he started the game really well, but sort of slowed down a bit near the end. Nothing horrible, but just seemed like he maybe needs some stamina work. I guess he played the previous night, too, so maybe he was just tired. Or maybe scoring 3 goals in the minors tired him out

I thought the same with Stortini, by the way. He seemed to fade and go to sleep out there a bit near the end. There was one play where the puck came right to him on the doorstep and he didn't even react to it until it was about ten feet past him.

We sure seem to be patenting the old "finding ways to make games we should win handily difficult" routine. I'm surprised no one singled out Hemsky for being too aggressive on the forecheck in the offensive zone with a minute left--he was clearly hoping to strip the other player of the puck and get an empty net goal. Up 2 goals, you've got to back off and just play some D at that point. I love Hemsky's game, but that was a selfish play. LMHF, you spoke of the penalty being bogus, but I don't know if you had the benefit of replay at the arena...on replay it's pretty clear Hemsky hooked him. In any case, his stick was for sure close enough for the ref to call it hooking, and there's just no reason for him to be stick-checking someone inside the offensive blue line, up 2 goals with 1:00 left.

--Dave
I was actually thinking the same about Smyth trying to get the empty net from our zone...with a minute or so left, just take it to the red line THEN try for the EN. Definitely didn't need that Icing call.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:04 AM
nameht

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post

--Dave
I dont know, if you give Havlat to much space he will burn you, I think hemsky was just trying to be close enough for Havlat not to gain to much speed coming through the neutral zone

nameht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan86 View Post
I was actually thinking the same about Smyth trying to get the empty net from our zone...with a minute or so left, just take it to the red line THEN try for the EN. Definitely didn't need that Icing call.
Smyth's real bad for that IMO. I remember the LA game that came back in the last min and won because Smyth iced the puck looking for an empty net.

Regarding MAP... I liked what i saw on his first shift, and it died down a lil after that. But heres hoping he can carry the load while Stoll is gone, and more importantly, send Petersen packing.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Pisani has been worrisome the past few games. I think he isn't healthy - his game just doesn't look right. He's turning the puck over way more on the forecheck than I remember, and he just isn't as effective as he usually is.

I'm not one of those people who thought he'd score 40 goals this year either. I'm just used to a guy who always gets the puck deep... who makes good decisions and doesn't turn it over much. I think he is hurt.

02-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Pisani has been worrisome the past few games. I think he isn't healthy - his game just doesn't look right. He's turning the puck over way more on the forecheck than I remember, and he just isn't as effective as he usually is.

I'm not one of those people who thought he'd score 40 goals this year either. I'm just used to a guy who always gets the puck deep... who makes good decisions and doesn't turn it over much. I think he is hurt.
Agreed, he is also a lot less physical and seems to be losing puck battles along the wall. DOesn't look very effective at all.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
EDMONTON OILERS 2

VS.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS 1
--------------------------------------

Tonight featured a true battle of the titans…no not the Oilers and Hawks but of the two LMHF’s in on-ice-contest mayhem! One of the contests we regularly lampoon; musical tubes, featured yours truly and #2 as well in a battle of the best at the end. #2 was victorious on this particular occasion, but I hope we at least mildly entertained all of you in attendance at tonight’s game.

Anyway, down to the hockey game…hey we got the two points, which is more than Calgary or Vancouver can say when it comes to their recent battles with Chicago. We played an unspectacular but effective game throughout. This was true from our goaltender through all the skaters. It might not be the flashiest way to win, but it was a win nonetheless.

Tonight was kind of strange…the puck was hopping madly in odd directions, there were far fewer people in the stands than the usual “sell-out”, people were standing during the play all the time…it was just odd.

I think I’m just going to get right into the Player stuff, my memory is fuzzy; remember of course that I missed at least 5 minutes at the end of the second period.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
-They were good I suppose, not great but good. They all logged a ton of minutes, especially at the end of the game for whatever reason, and were not really challenged on the ice at any point. The PP goal that they combined on (even though Sykora got the assist and not Hemsky) was effective but kinda ugly…Smyth and Horcoff played hot potato before finally deciding to put the puck in the net…other than that it was not too exciting of a night offensively. All had some chances, all those chances were missed even if by a very slight margin. All three made some excellent defensive plays, Horcoff specifically on a Hawk in the slot who he got to just before a dangerous shot would have happened. Nothing annoys me more than Hemsky getting penalties for less than what is done to him every game multiple times in the neutral zone, it’s just stupid. Hemsky didn’t hook, and at least Hejda’s first penalty was entirely a stick lift…they called it because he lifted Havlat’s stick…this league really has it backwards on some nights…

Pisani-Pouliot-Torres
-This was a really good line tonight. MacTavish showed great faith in Pouliot and he got an excellent performance from him. You could really tell he has his confidence back…he was bulling into corners and always coming up with the puck, hitting his lanes quickly, making excellent passing choices and taking appropriate shots. He could have had himself a couple goals tonight. Torres still isn’t Torres, but he was better tonight. There were a couple hints of physicality, and he took his customary shot off the wing and scored as opposed to passing the puck away. That was good to see. He still had a couple chances to really pummel guys and backed off…which is not what we need from him. Fernando did what he does well, no more, no less.

Lupul-Sykora-Petersen
-I dunno, they just weren’t a very good line tonight. Sykora independently was better than he’s been in a while…getting into shooting position and moving the puck confidently. We need much more of that from him. Lupul still couldn’t make the one more stride or move he needs to get scoring goals. He didn’t come that close tonight. Toby is getting behind the play more and more lately…the pace must be picking up out there.

Stortini-Reasoner-Nedved
-This line was oddly effective. I still think Nedved’s a lost cause, I mean, no way he misses on that clear break he got in the first if he was going good at all, but at least he contributed and took some dangerous shots as the game went on. He works on the fourth line much as I’d rather have Brodziak or Schremp getting a shot there. Marty was alright, but nothing spectacular. He was at least better on the faceoff dot. Stortini had a couple good solid hits, fought Martin Lapointe, and drove to the net well. A+ for him again. He’s a fixture now.

Smid-Staios
-They seemed to do pretty well tonight, but then again so did all our D, so what do you make of that? Smid had a bit of a hiccup on the first play of the game…after that he was fine. Staios was good.

Smith-Hejda
-Surprisingly good pass to Nedved by Smith to set up the clear break. He’d prove later multiple times that he’s not an effective puck-mover, but at least we had a glimpse. Hejda got victimized by the ref and was otherwise certainly decent enough.

Bergeron-Greene
-Matt Greene seemed much more settled down tonight. He was calm and solid and didn’t mess around with the puck. I was really surprised Bergeron didn’t get one tonight with as many good looks as he got on shots. He usually doesn’t need that many chances. The shot was effective in generating offensive chances though, and he moved the puck well out of his own zone save for a bad bounce that ended up in his feet and another missed pass. Good backhand pass to Torres on his goal.

Roloson
-He wasn’t all that tested for 33 shots, but when he was he was equal to the task. Bad break losing the SO after Hemsky gets that bogus penalty and Marty Havlat goes lazer-beam…what are ya gonna do.
-------------------------------------------------------

That fourth line could actually be effective for this team, and I wonder how long MacTavish sticks with it.

Should Pouliot be able to take one game and make his strong play a trend, he’ll certainly stay and I think that Petersen would find himself PB’ed nearly for good once Stoll is healthy.

Not the most exciting game again, but that’s okay. We won, and you could really tell the fans are starving for wins right now…

LMHF#1 out.
I might be off here, but wasn't it Bergeron who sent Nedved on the break away?

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
Either way it was amazing to see an Oiler d-man move the puck up-ice for a breakaway.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:01 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
I honestly wasn't sure. #2 said Smith...all I saw was the pass and the break-in.

Old
02-10-2007, 07:16 PM
smytty's mullet

is getting picked for those on ice contests completely random, or what do you have to do to get picked?

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet View Post
is getting picked for those on ice contests completely random, or what do you have to do to get picked?
I am pretty sure they go around and choose the people for the contests before the warmups (Like 30+ minutes before the warmups). I am always at the games early, but since im up in the 300's, I am always more of a prime candidate for "Move of the Game" instead, which I have got 7 times over the last 2.5 seasons.

As an interesting side story, my friend went to an Oiler game in Colorado last month, and his dad was picked for an on-ice contest, which he ended up winning. Unfortunately, the "prize" was an autographed Av's Sakic jersey (Hellloooo Ebay)....

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:47 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet View Post
Sometimes its truly 100% random...sometimes it's...let's say, a little less than random.