HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Good Deals For Roberts? -- ALL TRADE PROPOSALS HERE

Old
02-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Yes our drafting record is so awesome.
lol i wish we could pick out players like havlat; who went 26th overall.. thatd be pretty awesome, and now look at him.

I May Be Wrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:57 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
If this is true and the deal isn't already done, I would be very upset. That is a steal for Florida.
well, in theory, they could be holding off until the deadline so ottawa can maximize their cap space... but i doubt that deal is true.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Yes our drafting record is so awesome.
While that is true, I'd still like for us to draft our own player. Malone can't even be a productive goal scorer playing on the wing with Crosby, the best passer in the game. Imagine how horrible he'd look in Florida.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:28 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

I just think it's hilarious reading these trade proposal threads. Generally when a team trades for a rental they overpay - it's a classic case of mortgaging the future for the present. Only in South Florida are we expected to give up players at a "reasonable price". I hope JM sticks to his guns and makes people pay a premium.

You want Gary Roberts? Belfour? Gelinas? Stumpel? Sorry. A third round pick and a prospect with third line/third defensive pairing upside won't cut it. For that price I'd rather keep them and win a few more meaningless games. Oh, and another thing. Keep your bad contracts. Keep your under-performing veterans. We are not the NHL's garbage disposal.

... and JM, since I know you are reading this ( ), if you follow your predecessors and auction off our assets at a fraction of their value there will be a pyre of burning season tickets at your front office door. Then Yormark will have plenty of $7 seats to fill with victims of his unique "I would make a time-share salesman blush" three hour advertising bombardment.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:01 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I just think it's hilarious reading these trade proposal threads. Generally when a team trades for a rental they overpay - it's a classic case of mortgaging the future for the present. Only in South Florida are we expected to give up players at a "reasonable price". I hope JM sticks to his guns and makes people pay a premium.
Come on. Can the self-pity. You don't read other trade prosposals do you?
Every trade proposal (from a fan of a contender) to a non-playoff team will probably be biased in their favour.... because remember in 1989 when Lamoriello got "superstar" for a road cone, a banana and a Walter Mondale for Prez pin?

Meanwhile, as a fan of a contender and seeing offers (from fans of non-playoff teams)... Meszaros for uh, Jason York. Because Jason York is old and old = veteran leadership and Ottawa should want that for the playoffs!

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Clutch Mediocrity

I'd offer a 2nd rounder from Ottawa plus a mid-range defensive prospect in our system (which is pretty much all of them except Lee, and maybe Anikeyenko) since that seems to be a weakness in Florida after browsing their pipeline. Vermette would be too steep an asking price which I'd be both surprised and furious to see go down. Martin was absolutely in love with fellow French Canadian Vermette in Ottawa though so I'm sure he'd like to get him and might overpay a bit to do so.

Gary Roberts would be a nice addition but he is not at all as valuable as a Doug Weight type player for example, where you could justify mortgaging off some of the future. Curious to see if my offer is deemed reasonable as I'm not quite sure what the Panthers are expecting for Roberts. Regardless, it's as high as I'd go if I were a GM for Ottawa. Good luck to whatever team lands him for more than that - grit and experience are no longer big problems in the capital so it makes no sense to give up all sorts of assets from a Sens POV.

Clutch Mediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i don't agree with your assessment of roberts' speed. i don't think skating is his strength but he's not exactly slow. was morris that he blew past last night as if he was a pylon? sure, he had a head of spead and morris didn't but my point is, he can be effective. he doesn't have super hands but he's great around the net (screens, deflections, tap ins) and in the corners and he brings a consistency and a toughness that would benefit any teams' cup run. at 41, he's going to end up with 15-20 goals; second line numbers if you're feeling generous but considering everything else he brings, more than enough.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think there are better options available than Roberts for a team who is making a serious run for the Cup. I just wonder how much of people wanting him is hype? If he's such a great leader, if he's such a proven playoff warrior, why does he only have one Cup which he won in 1989? He's also only 40, born on 5/23/66.

I hope we are able to trade him for a younger player who can thrive here.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think there are better options available than Roberts for a team who is making a serious run for the Cup. I just wonder how much of people wanting him is hype? If he's such a great leader, if he's such a proven playoff warrior, why does he only have one Cup which he won in 1989? He's also only 40, born on 5/23/66.

I hope we are able to trade him for a younger player who can thrive here.
i agree on both points. i was just making the point that he's not a slow bum with nothing to contribute. echoing CM's point, i think gary could be a nice pickup for a team ready to make a run. there are other guys who might be a little more versatile and thus more valuable and more costly. it all depends on where said team feels their main need is.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:43 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Mediocrity View Post
I'd offer a 2nd rounder from Ottawa plus a mid-range defensive prospect
Depends on the prospect, but that sounds about right.

Old
02-11-2007, 06:48 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Come on. Can the self-pity. You don't read other trade prosposals do you?
It's not the proposals themselves. It's the sheer volume of them & the "this is a great deal for you guys (snicker)" attitude that goes along with them. It gets quite irritating after a while.

Incidentally, we have had a few road cones, some bananas and I think that Mondale pin is in Keenan's briefcase somewhere. I hear its very nice.

Old
02-11-2007, 09:58 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
It's not the proposals themselves. It's the sheer volume of them & the "this is a great deal for you guys (snicker)" attitude that goes along with them. It gets quite irritating after a while.
Exactly. I can take for about as long as it takes Roberts to roof a slap shot in the Sens net.

No reason for JM to fold. None whatsoever.

And I'm also getting tired of hearing that we should sell the old guys for picks. Picks are not the answer. Real players are.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Georgia Panther

Garrioch Now Says,

According to Spectors quoting a Garrioch article, Ottawa is offering blueline prospect Brian Lee for Gary Roberts. HF has Lee listed as the Senators top prospect.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
According to Spectors quoting a Garrioch article, Ottawa is offering blueline prospect Brian Lee for Gary Roberts. HF has Lee listed as the Senators top prospect.
Wow that's crazy. I don't see Ottawa doing that, especially without us throwing in a pick. Lee is worth more than Roberts is, especially to us with so little to draw on in terms of defensive prospects. That would be a huge coup, just seems too far fetched.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Georgia Panther

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...96153-sun.html

"League sources say if Senators GM John Muckler is going to pull off a trade at the Feb. 27 deadline, he'd better be prepared to pay a premium.

An NHL executive told the Sun yesterday that with only a couple of teams all but eliminated from playoff contention, the number of GMs trying to improve their clubs could be as competitive as the post-season races themselves.

It's believed the Senators are targeting Panthers winger Gary Roberts, who would provide Ottawa with a wealth of veteran leadership.

ROBERTS ON RADAR

When Roberts' name hit the rumour mill, Toronto and Ottawa were the most-often mentioned destinations.

And it was thought that Florida GM Jacques Martin's asking price for Roberts was a second-round pick but the demands would dip as it got closer to the deadline.

Now, the indications are that's not the case. In fact, the Panthers' demands may have gone up because the Leafs and Senators aren't the only teams that will make a pitch.

Several teams -- including the Rangers, Penguins, Thrashers, Wings and Sharks -- are going to be looking to add a veteran.

Roberts, 40, has battled injuries this year, but he's back in the Florida lineup and has posted good numbers.

The reason the Senators like Roberts so much is because of the role he's played against them in past playoff matchups when he was a member of the Leafs.

Ideally, Muckler doesn't want give up anything on his current roster.

It's possible the Senators could dangle prospect defenceman Brian Lee for Roberts, who has 13 goals and 16 assists in 44 games this season, but that would be a heavy price to pay. "

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Whew. Take it an RUN Martin. Run fast.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:40 AM
SouthFLFan79

Quote:
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...96153-sun.html

"League sources say if Senators GM John Muckler is going to pull off a trade at the Feb. 27 deadline, he'd better be prepared to pay a premium.

An NHL executive told the Sun yesterday that with only a couple of teams all but eliminated from playoff contention, the number of GMs trying to improve their clubs could be as competitive as the post-season races themselves.

It's believed the Senators are targeting Panthers winger Gary Roberts, who would provide Ottawa with a wealth of veteran leadership.

ROBERTS ON RADAR

When Roberts' name hit the rumour mill, Toronto and Ottawa were the most-often mentioned destinations.

And it was thought that Florida GM Jacques Martin's asking price for Roberts was a second-round pick but the demands would dip as it got closer to the deadline.

Now, the indications are that's not the case. In fact, the Panthers' demands may have gone up because the Leafs and Senators aren't the only teams that will make a pitch.

Several teams -- including the Rangers, Penguins, Thrashers, Wings and Sharks -- are going to be looking to add a veteran.

Roberts, 40, has battled injuries this year, but he's back in the Florida lineup and has posted good numbers.

The reason the Senators like Roberts so much is because of the role he's played against them in past playoff matchups when he was a member of the Leafs.

Ideally, Muckler doesn't want give up anything on his current roster.

It's possible the Senators could dangle prospect defenceman Brian Lee for Roberts, who has 13 goals and 16 assists in 44 games this season, but that would be a heavy price to pay. "

Do it now, quicker the better before they wise up! A good defensive prospect to pair with Jay in the future? I love it. Can I pack Roberts bags for him?

SouthFLFan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:48 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Why is everyone so amazed by this? Are we so conditioned to failure?

Things are worth what the market will bear. With only Philly elimated in the east, the buyers will outnumber the sellers. IMO we should be sellers, even if this team gets hot and starts winning games. If a team wants a rental they will have to overpay. Sign Bert and trade the rest of the vets (Gelinas, Belfour & Roberts - possibly Gratton & Stumpel if the price is right). We need to shore up the foundation of this franchise. We may have some golden opportunities to do it in the next two weeks.

Old
02-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Quote:
Why is everyone so amazed by this? Are we so conditioned to failure?

Things are worth what the market will bear. With only Philly elimated in the east, the buyers will outnumber the sellers. IMO we should be sellers, even if this team gets hot and starts winning games. If a team wants a rental they will have to overpay. Sign Bert and trade the rest of the vets (Gelinas, Belfour & Roberts - possibly Gratton & Stumpel if the price is right). We need to shore up the foundation of this franchise. We may have some golden opportunities to do it in the next two weeks.
Yes well we're used to the old ways. And we haven't seen Martin make a move like this yet (anyone could have traded Jackman for a pick). Martin deserves the benefit of the doubt at this time, but he will be largely defined by this deadline and offseason. Time will tell but there's a very good point about how few sellers there are. Panthers are technically in the driving seat with some of the most available veterans out of any selling team.

Old
02-12-2007, 11:25 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
If Roberts gets Lee, then i will personally fly over to Martin's house, and make him breakfast in bed.

I doubt Lee is a return we'd get though. There is overpayment, and then just insanity, which that is. Lee is a very good prospect, who i'd love to have, but i would be shocked if we manage to land him, especially just for Gary Roberts.

I know there are alot of Buyers, and very few sellers but to give up a prospect like Lee, for a player who may have minimal impact due to injuries, is just unrealistic IMO.

I hope im freakin wrong though.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
If Roberts gets Lee, then i will personally fly over to Martin's house, and make him breakfast in bed.

I doubt Lee is a return we'd get though. There is overpayment, and then just insanity, which that is. Lee is a very good prospect, who i'd love to have, but i would be shocked if we manage to land him, especially just for Gary Roberts.

I know there are alot of Buyers, and very few sellers but to give up a prospect like Lee, for a player who may have minimal impact due to injuries, is just unrealistic IMO.

I hope im freakin wrong though.
Wait a second. Robert E. Lee Hah that's pretty funny. Oh sorry OT. Um, yes I'll be shocked, too. Anyone think Martin is actually that good? Time will tell but even this early before the deadline some very interesting deals are going down. I see the Panthers holding out hope until they fall farther from the 8th spot. 10 points out now with a game in hand on Carolina.

Old
02-12-2007, 11:39 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

jeez, i just wanted hennessy, but lee is even better.

Old
02-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Lee is a good prospect but I don't think he's as good as the hype. He's never really impressed me that much when I've seen him. It is now consensus opinion that Ottawa messed up big time in the first round of the '05 draft with Lee, he was picked too high.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:46 PM
OttawaGM

Schaefer + Lee + 3rd for Roberts + Horton

or

Schaefer + Hennessy + 2nd for Roberts + Horton

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:08 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Schaefer + Lee + 3rd for Roberts + Horton

or

Schaefer + Hennessy + 2nd for Roberts + Horton
I'll take these bargains to Martin right away!

don't call us, we'll call you

Old
02-13-2007, 02:10 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Lee is a good prospect but I don't think he's as good as the hype. He's never really impressed me that much when I've seen him. It is now consensus opinion that Ottawa messed up big time in the first round of the '05 draft with Lee, he was picked too high.
while he was drafted too high (bourdon and staal were better picks, even at the time), I still think he has the ability to become a solid defencemen.