HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If The Play-Offs Are Un-likely, Time To Deal Roloson???

Old
02-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

vCash: 500
If The Play-Offs Are Un-likely, Time To Deal Roloson???

IMO the answer is a definate yes. He was stellar for us last season, and he has been solid this season. That said, un-less we are looking at being a Cup contender this season of next, we need to deal him. His value would be high as a play-off proven goaltender, and his contract isn't too crazy for a team that's poised to make a few cup runs in the next season or 2. Then give JDD a chance at this level to end the year and see if he appears ready to be our starter next season. If not, then package him with another player/prospect for a starting goaltender that is closer to the age of our core group of players. Anyone else have a similar opinion???

02-10-2007, 06:32 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 96
and with that trade all players over the age of 27...

why?

Cause the oilers do not have a goalie on the farm ready for the show.

So, Bryan--you want 4 years of missing the playoffs?

too early to say whether JDD or DD will be ready

or do you want the oilers to try on the open market for a starting goalie?

Oilers will need some retooling, but they have two goalies coming neither one is ready--so I say no--keep him.

There is always next year, but getting rid of him would up the chances of the oilers not making the playoffs next year and then you will be on this board screaming to get a goalie.

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:33 PM
LUPS_15*

im sorry but this is the dumbest thread ever there is no reason to trade roli maybe if he was a UFA but not when we just signed him for three years and JDD with dubnyk as a backup would be the worst 1-2 goalie combo worst than conkannen

LUPS_15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

I wouldn't mind trading Roli and signing Biron in the offseason, but thats seems mighty difficult, with Roli we know what we're getting, with Biron, we have no clue how he is starting as he has been backup alot of the time, now dont get me wrong, Biron is good, i just feel more 'safe' with Roli. Mind you, past few weeks his games have slipped a bit performance wise..

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:37 PM
chrisj

I'm pretty much Roloson's trade value is next to nothing.

Most real contenders are set in nets. Those that aren't, or maybe want to upgrade their backup, are not going to want Roloson's contract (specifically, the remaining years on it).

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO the answer is a definate yes. He was stellar for us last season, and he has been solid this season. That said, un-less we are looking at being a Cup contender this season of next, we need to deal him. His value would be high as a play-off proven goaltender, and his contract isn't too crazy for a team that's poised to make a few cup runs in the next season or 2. Then give JDD a chance at this level to end the year and see if he appears ready to be our starter next season. If not, then package him with another player/prospect for a starting goaltender that is closer to the age of our core group of players. Anyone else have a similar opinion???
Just a question how many clear cut # 1 goaltenders do you figure are out there and will be available that are in their mid to late 20s and it will probably not be a prospect packaged with JDD to get him but a top 6 or 9 forward as well. Probably will end up paying the guy as much or more than Roli. Unless you want to get a fringe starter in that age group? Then we can relive last seasons goaltending nightmares.

Yeah I am not crazy on this idea, rushing goaltenders unless they are one of those amazing, dominating cannot miss types usually ends up being not good for the team or player. Goalies have to be brought along slowly, it would be good for JDD to get at least 1 year in the NHL as a back up and see how he handles that.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUPS_15 View Post
im sorry but this is the dumbest thread ever there is no reason to trade roli maybe if he was a UFA but not when we just signed him for three years and JDD with dubnyk as a backup would be the worst 1-2 goalie combo worst than conkannen
If you read my post, I said that if JDD isn't ready (which is quite likely) then make a deal for a younger 'tender either in the off-season or even this trading deadline. IMO keeping a 37 or 38 year old goalie around if your team is going no-where is a waste of an asset. If Lowe plans on making a push this year, then keep him, if not, then un-load him before his value is next to nothing at the end of his contract.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Bergeron47

I'd like us to trade him to either Ottawa or Tampa

and then trade for Biron

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
There is always next year, but getting rid of him would up the chances of the oilers not making the playoffs next year and then you will be on this board screaming to get a goalie.
As long as we'd be in a real re-build mode, I wouldn't complain. That said, if Lowe doesn't see this team as a contender in the next 2 seasons, then you deal him. I don't see the whole 4 years of missing the play-offs if you deal Roli. I'm sure that we'd have the assests neccesary to get a some-what decent goaltender some-where in those 4 years. That's also discounting the fact that one of Dubnyk or JDD couldn't be good enough to get us into the post-season at 24 and 26 years old respectively.

Old
02-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post

and then trade for Biron
If a contender was having major league goaltending issues and then they consider what he was able to do for us when we acquired him at the deadline, IMO that makes his value considerable. If his trade value was next to nothing, I'd sooner just keep him, but IMO that's not the case.

Old
02-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Jason Bowie

Quote:
Hey Bryan, it's no secret that you love the youngsters, but I think you over value them at times (ie: Schremp, Jacques, etc.). This would be one of those times. Roli is a legitimate #1 goalie. He's signed for years to come, so lets just sit back and be happy our goaltending situation is strong and well.

The kids aren't the answer right now, besides, we're beating Atlanta tomorrow, and making the playoffs!!!

GO OILERS GO!!!

Jason Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Draekke

After last year of Conkkanen, this is a no-brainer. Definitely NOT.

WHy would we trade a solid goaltender right when we start to have a steady netminder duo? We've had goalie woes for a while, let's not start that again. Rather focus on other things.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan86 View Post
After last year of Conkkanen, this is a no-brainer. Definitely NOT.

WHy would we trade a solid goaltender right when we start to have a steady netminder duo? We've had goalie woes for a while, let's not start that again. Rather focus on other things.
So in essence you'd rather potentially have him back-stopping us to mediocrity until he's ready for the lodge, instead of getting something of substance out of him and then looking to become a contender again??? If you believe that we can be a contender next year, then I can understand this line of thinking, if you think that we won't be, then why not deal him for something to build around???

Old
02-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
So in essence you'd rather potentially have him back-stopping us to mediocrity until he's ready for the lodge, instead of getting something of substance out of him and then looking to become a contender again??? If you believe that we can be a contender next year, then I can understand this line of thinking, if you think that we won't be, then why not deal him for something to build around???
The problem is that dealing away Roloson essentially takes away any chance of us finding out if we could contend next year. We could certainly sign another goaltender in the off-season but that's easier said than done and there is no guarantee that we'll even get a guy as good as Roloson for a similar price. Do you seriously want to play the guessing game in the off-season over our goaltending situation?

It would be foolish to trade away Roloson at this point in time, we don't have anyone in the system ready to step up and his contract is set up in such a way that one of Dubnyk or JDD will hopefully be ready to step in when he's done.

02-10-2007, 06:58 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
i'm guessing that even if lowe wanted to trade roli (which he likely doesn't), there ain't a GM in the league that's gonna take him off our hands. unless the goalies' last name rhymes with "Basek" you generally don't pick up near-40-year old goalies unless you're signing them as a UFA (i.e.: Phoenix picking up Cujo).

pretty much no team in their right mind is going to give away components of their team to pick up a 37 year old with a fat contract.

(my opinion, feel free to disagree)

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
The problem is that dealing away Roloson essentially takes away any chance of us finding out if we could contend next year.
IMO you don't deal him if you believe that we'll be a contender next season. Anything is possible, but with this current group, we will have to give to get a solid d-man. So un-less Lowe deals picks or prospects for what we need, I don't see us contending next season either. IMO I'd be looking at contending the season after next.

Old
02-10-2007, 07:01 PM
grego

Just because the Oilers won't be a Stanley Cup favorite next year doesn't mean they have to offload their goalie.

I would say in a year that only 6 teams can be considered true contenders for the cup and the rest are just the teams fighting for a playoff berth.

I don't want to see the Oilers ( who will play another season facing 2 of the best goalies in the league in Luongo and Kipp for 16 of the 82 games of the year ) with a weak goaltender in the net, or overworking and hoping a kid can hold the back up role

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Boston_Bruins

i think the oilers can still make it, your only 6 points out right? i hope ya's make it boys, i'll pray for ya's put the oilers in the playoffs

Boston_Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:04 PM
grego

If I am Lowe as the GM you have to answer first to EIG. And EIG wants at least one playoff round per year from the team. They will accept the occasional miss of the playoffs but they do want that money, if he can't build a team to get them in the playoffs most years he will be out of his job.

To just trade our starting goalie for a future player and then give up on a better chance to make the playoffs next year may make more sense if you live in a world where the bottom line of the team and profit for the season doesn't matter

The reality is the Oilers expect to make money and want the playoff revenue

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Boston_Bruins

my bruins are not going any where, so lets go oilers

Boston_Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:09 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post

and then trade for Biron
I second that

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:30 PM
JonQuixote

Unless we got a starting goalie coming back, trading Roli would be ridiculous.

I swear, some of you guys would be as happy as pigs in poo if we were the worst team in the league as long as our HF list was fat and shiny.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post

I swear, some of you guys would be as happy as pigs in poo if we were the worst team in the league as long as our HF list was fat and shiny.
And that would benefit the other team how exactly??? Deal him for a solid package and then use some of what we have to get a starter (JDD, picks, prospects, etc.) I'm not saying deal Roloson and then deal for Conklin. Seriously, does no one read the ****ing posts??? Deal him and get someone younger hopefully by the time next season starts. I'm not saying just roll with JDD and Dubnyk all of next year. I am saying give JDD a shot up here if the team is out of the play-offs. Or do some of you care if we miss the play-offs by 8 points instead of 6???

Old
02-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post

Agreed 100%.

JDD is not ready to be a starter. Heck I'm not even sure he's ready to be a backup. So we trade Roli and then who do we have? JDD and Jussi in net? Hope for some miraculous UFA signing? Biron, is by the way, a UFA this summer so we can't just trade for him next season WHEN JDD fails to be a starter next season.

nope. Have you noticed BB, that there's not a lot of approval for this idea? you can still argue all you like, but if you have to convince someone of your argument, then you haven't really convinced them.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:43 PM
goggog

Who would take his old age and ridiculous contract?

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote