HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

If The Play-Offs Are Un-likely, Time To Deal Roloson???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2007, 06:43 PM
  #26
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And that would benefit the other team how exactly??? Deal him for a solid package and then use some of what we have to get a starter (JDD, picks, prospects, etc.) I'm not saying deal Roloson and then deal for Conklin. Seriously, does no one read the ****ing posts??? Deal him and get someone younger hopefully by the time next season starts. I'm not saying just roll with JDD and Dubnyk all of next year. I am saying give JDD a shot up here if the team is out of the play-offs. Or do some of you care if we miss the play-offs by 8 points instead of 6???
Like Who?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:47 PM
  #27
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Like Who?
??? I'm not sure what your question is.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:56 PM
  #28
JonQuixote
Registered User
 
JonQuixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And that would benefit the other team how exactly???
It almost certainly wouldn't. But I'm not the one advocating trading Roli. Unless a starting goalie comes back, trading him doesn't benefit us!




Quote:
Deal him for a solid package and then use some of what we have to get a starter (JDD, picks, prospects, etc.)
Oh. I didn't realize how simple it was. What with how complicated normal trades are in the NHL.

Tell you what, let's use "some of what we have" to get a starter and THEN talk about trading Roli.


Quote:
Deal him and get someone younger hopefully by the time next season starts.
Bolded the two words that are most telling. The former to reiterate my point about the idolatry of youth (and the forgoing of performance), and the latter to underline the biggest flaw in your outline for trading Roli: Hey, let's trade our starting goaltender and maybe we won't be totally ****ed next year. And if we are, at least we'll have another somebody born in the 80's somewhere in our system.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:11 PM
  #29
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Deal him for a solid package and then use some of what we have to get a starter (JDD, picks, prospects, etc.) I'm not saying deal Roloson and then deal for Conklin. Seriously, does no one read the ****ing posts??? Deal him and get someone younger hopefully by the time next season starts.
Like what young starter is available for JDD plus picks?

Say we trade Roloson for a 2nd round pick. (somehow.)

What youngish starter would be available for JDD + 2nd round pick?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:32 PM
  #30
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Like what young starter is available for JDD plus picks?

Say we trade Roloson for a 2nd round pick. (somehow.)

What youngish starter would be available for JDD + 2nd round pick?
We gave up a 1st and I believe a 4th rounder for an UFA Roli, so are you saying that his value has dropped that much after a solid Cup run???

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:34 PM
  #31
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
might be time for the oilers to become sellers after the flames deal

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:47 PM
  #32
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
might be time for the oilers to become sellers after the flames deal
Now you want to join this bandwagon after crucifying me on the 1st page??? Not gonna happen buddy!!!

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:56 PM
  #33
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Now you want to join this bandwagon after crucifying me on the 1st page??? Not gonna happen buddy!!!
alot can happen in 3 hours

Any team but a Northwest team getting Stuart would have been okay

the oilers are looking at a worse hand now then they were 3 hours ago

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:01 PM
  #34
Declassified
Registered User
 
Declassified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,789
vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
alot can happen in 3 hours

Any team but a Northwest team getting Stuart would have been okay

the oilers are looking at a worse hand now then they were 3 hours ago
you are going crazy.

the oilers werent going to catch the flames anyway, what the flames do have no effect on the oilers, unless it's in a game between the two, the flames pulled away a long time ago.

Vancouver is the process of pulling away

the Wild are poised to be pulling away too

It would absolutely donkey retarded to give up so much for a rental player.

Brad Stuart is not the Player to take the oilers to the playoffs. neither is primeau. so grow up, calm down and step away from you're computer.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:17 PM
  #35
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
you are going crazy.

the oilers werent going to catch the flames anyway, what the flames do have no effect on the oilers, unless it's in a game between the two, the flames pulled away a long time ago.

Vancouver is the process of pulling away

the Wild are poised to be pulling away too

It would absolutely donkey retarded to give up so much for a rental player.

Brad Stuart is not the Player to take the oilers to the playoffs. neither is primeau. so grow up, calm down and step away from you're computer.
I did not realize the oilers had someone like Stuart in the D-line

hold on a second

they don't

The biggest hole on the Oiler d was and still is a transition game d-man

The flames were catchable and that is one of the reason the flames did the deal now

last ten games the flames are 5-1-4

Lowe has waited too long to make a move to answer the problem on D

it is not a new problem

did not just happen over night

did not just jump up out of the blue

it has been there for awhile

it is not just the lose of FCP--From the d that went to the cup final last year he lost Tarnstrom, Spacek and Pronger replaced them with Smid, Tjarnquist and Hajda

he waited and waited and waited, while the oilers stayed near the bottom of their division. The Oilers needed a puck carrying d-man to help the transition game and he contiunues to wait. I don't think that the Flames gave up too much to get stuart.

The oilers have three good lines and a reliable number 1
since training camp, what have we been talking about=== the need on the d-line.

I think it is now too late for Lowe to pay a reasonable price for a d-man--so now I have to go back less then 4 hours after saying that I did not see the oilers as neing sellers to saying that it maybe time to put up the for sale sign. One trade can make a difference--it was proven at the last deadline with the Roloson deal.

I still would not trade Roloson enless the oilers do a second deal to get say Biron, cause as I said Originally, JDD and DD are not ready to be starters in this league

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:21 PM
  #36
Declassified
Registered User
 
Declassified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,789
vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
I did not realize the oilers had someone like Stuart in the D-line

hold on a second

they don't

The biggest hole on the Oiler d was and still is a transition game d-man

The flames were catchable and that is one of the reason the flames did the deal now

last ten games the flames are 5-1-4

Lowe has waited too long to make a move to answer the problem on D

it is not a new problem

did not just happen over night

did not just jump up out of the blue

it has been there for awhile

it is not just the lose of FCP--From the d that went to the cup final last year he lost Tarnstrom, Spacek and Pronger replaced them with Smid, Tjarnquist and Hajda

he waited and waited and waited, while the oilers stayed near the bottom of their division. The Oilers needed a puck carrying d-man to help the transition game and he contiunues to wait. I don't think that the Flames gave up too much to get stuart.

The oilers have three good lines and a reliable number 1
since training camp, what have we been talking about=== the need on the d-line.

I think it is now too late for Lowe to pay a reasonable price for a d-man--so now I have to go back less then 4 hours after saying that I did not see the oilers as neing sellers to saying that it maybe time to put up the for sale sign. One trade can make a difference--it was proven at the last deadline with the Roloson deal.

I still would not trade Roloson enless the oilers do a second deal to get say Biron, cause as I said Originally, JDD and DD are not ready to be starters in this league
ok, so why don't you go pick up the phone and make that trade then

ever stop and think that maybe Boston wanted Kobasew and Ference? and that's why they pulled the trigger. to me Jason Smith and brad stuart are in the same category, not same mold, but same category, ie, not a number 1 dman. having stuart on this team doesnt make it good enough to make the playoffs, not at the cost it would take.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:22 PM
  #37
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Last game I saw Stuart play in he looked to have better wheels then Smith and a better shot

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:24 PM
  #38
Declassified
Registered User
 
Declassified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,789
vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
Last game I saw Stuart play in he looked to have better wheels then Smith and a better shot
we need a Pronger type player, not a stuart. he would have made no difference.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:25 PM
  #39
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
Last game I saw Stuart play in he looked to have better wheels then Smith and a better shot
IMO Stuart could've helped us to make the play-offs, but we still wouldn't ammount to much once we got there. This team needs too many additions to make us a contender this year. Either start a sell-off or a mild one by dealing away Smith and Sykora. This year is not our year to make a run.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:26 PM
  #40
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
we need a Pronger type player, not a stuart. he would have made no difference.
Are you serious??? Of course he would've helped, that said, IMO he wouldn't have made us contenders. And that's wher I want thgis team to be, and un-like many on here, I'd be willing to wait a few years for that to happen.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:29 PM
  #41
Declassified
Registered User
 
Declassified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,789
vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO Stuart could've helped us to make the play-offs, but we still wouldn't ammount to much once we got there. This team needs too many additions to make us a contender this year. Either start a sell-off or a mild one by dealing away Smith and Sykora. This year is not our year to make a run.
This year wasnt our year the day we traded Pronger and left Peca walk without offering a Contract.

Pronger really forced Lowes hand, and that's a major reason why this team is where it is now.

why would, or should kevin lowe pay $300,000 to fix his 15,000 car, thats right he should, cut your losses and try again next year. iM not throwing in the towel for this season, but i am against any trade that takes roster players away for Rentals.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:44 AM
  #42
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
I personally get what you're saying Bryan, and I want us to be a seller at the deadline because I believe on Febuary 27th the sellers will be laughing at the buyers. However I don't deal Roloson unless we know for certain we can get a proven guy in here. I don't think his play will decline next season. He works his *** off and is in phenominal shape. 38 is scary, 4 mil is scary, but I think he'll be able to do it. Now if we dealt Roloson and immediatly flipped the tables and dealt for Nabokov I wouldn't be that against it. I know Johnny Nabokov makes more money but he's younger and just as good. I think JDD is ready for 25 - 30 games next year, but by no means to I think he's ready for the starting gig, we need a proven guy and I personally wouldn't want to go into the offseason taking a huge chance on filling that void....espically with a guy like Lowe, he would probably go with another 3 headed monster until the deadline.....AGAIN!

The other end of this is that I'm not certain that Rollie would bring in a lot in a deal. Who needs a goaltending upgrade??? Nobody that's going for it in the West does, or in the case of the Avs could afford it. In the East the Leafs MAYBE, but Razor is playing great lately, MAYBE Tampa, but again Denis is playing really solid lately. Having said everything that I've said, if Lowe is a seller we all know he'll only sell guys like Sykora, Tjarnqvist, Markkanen, and MAYBE a d-man like Hejda who despite what most of you think of him having a brighter future then Smid is 28 years old and it's probably as good as it gets with the guy right now. He's decent, I like him, but I'm not crying if we dealt him. I would prefer to deal Horcoff right now because I think for next season we're pretty set down the middle and he would garner a huge return from a team like the Habs, but I know Horc won't go anywhere.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:55 AM
  #43
westcory
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
I disagree with most people on here, I think Roli has played well but not great this year and a better goalie can be had for cheaper. Montreal, Colorado, and Det might be takers.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:05 AM
  #44
crackercats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I'd like us to trade him to either Ottawa or Tampa

and then trade for Biron
i think we can all agree to disregard anything posted by bergeron fans

crackercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:14 AM
  #45
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Zach and Slater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
I disagree with most people on here, I think Roli has played well but not great this year and a better goalie can be had for cheaper. Montreal, Colorado, and Det might be takers.
Then who are we going with??? And why would Montreal with Huet and Detroit with the guy who's currently the top goaltender in hockey want Roloson? I'm not trying to be a ***** here but I'm just saying it doesn't make sense unless we got something in place to get a top guy in another deal.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:15 AM
  #46
Boozers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO the answer is a definate yes. He was stellar for us last season, and he has been solid this season. That said, un-less we are looking at being a Cup contender this season of next, we need to deal him. His value would be high as a play-off proven goaltender, and his contract isn't too crazy for a team that's poised to make a few cup runs in the next season or 2. Then give JDD a chance at this level to end the year and see if he appears ready to be our starter next season. If not, then package him with another player/prospect for a starting goaltender that is closer to the age of our core group of players. Anyone else have a similar opinion???
Depends if you can get a Biron an established goalie who has been a starter and is fairly young Id do it. No chance in hell I go with JDD or Dubby your putting too many eggs in one basket and you never know how steep you have to pay for a goalie if it turns out you need one especially when everyone else knows you need a goalie again.

However my sense is if JDD comes in next year plays solid in the backup role and looks to be NHL ready I think Oilers could deal Rollie but its a lot of what if's.

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:33 AM
  #47
OttawaGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I'd like us to trade him to either Ottawa or Tampa

and then trade for Biron
Why would we want another 3.7M backup, we already have one. I wouldn't even trade Gerber for Roloson due to age, at least we could bury Gerber in the minors and not pay the cap hit. Also why would you trade for a UFA if you're out of the playoffs? Why not wait until July and get him for free? We will gladly take Smyth off your hands though

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 03:25 AM
  #48
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,672
vCash: 500
Even if we trade him, who would want a 39 year old making more than Kipper for 2 more years. It's absolutely senseless. His contract was made so he could play till he retires, and it was in a way that if the Oilers were ever to trade him, they would get ***** with the deal.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:49 AM
  #49
philthy mcnasty*
 
philthy mcnasty*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Storm
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Roli, as good as he is, is virtually untradeable due to age and contract.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:11 PM
  #50
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,625
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozers View Post
Depends if you can get a Biron an established goalie who has been a starter and is fairly young Id do it. No chance in hell I go with JDD or Dubby your putting too many eggs in one basket and you never know how steep you have to pay for a goalie if it turns out you need one especially when everyone else knows you need a goalie again.

However my sense is if JDD comes in next year plays solid in the backup role and looks to be NHL ready I think Oilers could deal Rollie but its a lot of what if's.
Would it kill the organization if we played JDD the last 15-20 games in the NHL, if we are sold on the fact that we won't make the play-offs??? What's the harm in giving him a shot when the play-offs are out of the picture??? If he swims, then he gives us more flexibility, if he sinks, then ride Jussi to the end of the year. What's the big deal??? Expecting JDD to be an NHL starter next year with no NHL experience would be foolish, that's not what I'm saying. Give him some games to end the year and see how far away he is. Then in the off-season make a deal for a goalie.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.