HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Reasoner

Old
02-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Oilthrash

vCash: 500
Reasoner

This is not a Marty fan club post. I don't think he belongs on the first or even second line. But my problem is, why the lack of ice time and why the lack of talent. Marty can do good things and is about as consistant as any centre we have. Last i checked he was in the top 10 in the league in FO% and out of the players ahead of him he by far takes the least amount of overall faceoffs for the team. He is not going to take the oilers on his shoulders and get us to the playoffs, but he can win faceoffs, play the PK and can make some things happen offensively. 10 minutes of icetime with people like Peterson getting 15 does not make any sense to me!!

Oilthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilthrash View Post
This is not a Marty fan club post. I don't think he belongs on the first or even second line. But my problem is, why the lack of ice time and why the lack of talent. Marty can do good things and is about as consistant as any centre we have. Last i checked he was in the top 10 in the league in FO% and out of the players ahead of him he by far takes the least amount of overall faceoffs for the team. He is not going to take the oilers on his shoulders and get us to the playoffs, but he can win faceoffs, play the PK and can make some things happen offensively. 10 minutes of icetime with people like Peterson getting 15 does not make any sense to me!!
Welcome. Why Petersen gets more min... is beyond all of us. You'll fit in nicely.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:31 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilthrash View Post
Right now Reasoner is +17/-29 at even strength. Thus far he has contributed very little offense and has one of the worst goals against averages on the team. He has not had a good year by any stretch.

He has done well in the faceoff circle and on the PK unit though. I will give him that.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:38 PM
HotToddy

They are essentially the same players (Toby and Marty)

Marty doesn't score on the road, doesn't score very often actually, doesn't play very physical and is somewhat responsible defensively.

Very dissapointing season for Reasoner.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:40 PM
fuhr

Peterson does play too much but his minutes do not need to go to Reasoner. Reasoner is the same exact player in the fact that he brings very little to the table, other than his faceoff skills, but like Peterson, he is a "safe" player. The extra minutes Peterson plays 5 on 5 should be going to Nedved, Sykora or even Stortini at this point. Zack creates more on the ice then either Reasoner or Peterson and with Sykora and Nedved the chance of them creating something is there every shift..........if it happens or not is a different matter. That being said, they at least have the skill to do it unlike Peterson or Reasoner.

fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:47 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
They are essentially the same players (Toby and Marty)

Marty doesn't score on the road, doesn't score very often actually, doesn't play very physical and is somewhat responsible defensively.

Very dissapointing season for Reasoner.
I'm not saying you in particular but what are some of you expecting from Reasoner? Reasoner has played like Reasoner always has, like a 4th liner. He has 5 goals and last year he scored 11 which tied his career high. So how is he having a "dissapointing season"? He'll probsbly score 7 or 8 goals and have about 25 poionts..again what are some of you expecting? The guy is a solid 4th liner but he is nothing else and his +/- isn't shocking because he seems to always have different linemates. He's been good in the faceoff circle and on the PK, not much more should really be expected from him.

fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:58 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I don't thinl Toby and Marty are the same player, not yet atleasy

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:59 PM
21Gator*

You can put Marty with any two rookies and you have a decent line. So he is the glue for the fourth line, an important role. And if he did score more (because he does get chances) his ice time probably would go up. MacT would use him elsewhere.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:00 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr View Post
I'm not saying you in particular but what are some of you expecting from Reasoner? Reasoner has played like Reasoner always has, like a 4th liner. He has 5 goals and last year he scored 11 which tied his career high. So how is he having a "dissapointing season"? He'll probsbly score 7 or 8 goals and have about 25 poionts..again what are some of you expecting? The guy is a solid 4th liner but he is nothing else and his +/- isn't shocking because he seems to always have different linemates. He's been good in the faceoff circle and on the PK, not much more should really be expected from him.
Reasoner played much better than this before his knee injury. His results were very impressive in 2002-2003. Even last year, his results at 5V5 were better than this year despite the really poor goaltending from Conkannen.

His lack of minutes the past two years is a pretty good crutch to lean on, but the problem this year is that he's getting an extra 1-2 shifts at ES and has actually cracked the PK unit this year.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote