HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hossa (Merged with Poll)

View Poll Results: Are You a Hossa Supporter?
YES -I always Hoped for the best with him 108 55.10%
YES -I was not a supporter of him at the start of this season but i'm liking him now! 63 32.14%
NO - I wasn't a supporter of him and despite him playing better he shouldnt be on the Team 11 5.61%
NO - I wasnt a supporter of him from the start, still not. 14 7.14%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-12-2007, 05:35 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I just watched that goal Hossa scored against the caps.

That was a first class bit o Hockey there. The way he controlled the puck after Cullen's shot, beat the two opposing players, skated out and makes the nice feed back to Cullen, crosses back in front of the net so Shanny has the screen to shoot into, collects and then wrists a nice a rebound past Kolzig. Verrrry Nice. Great execution of some simple, but skillful hockey.

I don't want to make too big a deal out of it. History tells us he's still got a bit to prove, but if this guy can continue playing THAT kind of game.......

....I mean go back and watch it. It's pretty sweet.
Something I think went unnoticed was his screen on the 1st Straka goal. Too many times, when Nylander was a part of that line, everything was kept to the outside. But, if Hossa gets his big body in front of the net like he did then, he brings an element that's been missing from that line.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 06:22 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
ANd, without a doubt, playing much better then Prucha RIGHT NOW..Don't see how anybody can say otherwise...Doesn;t mean it will be like this next week or the week after but, for the Rangers sake, I hope he keeps it up...
For all the fuss about Hossa this, Prucha that, this guy gets preferential treatment blah blah blah. Hossa's still only a whopping 11 months older than Prucha. If you think about it, it'd be in the best interests of the team if Hossa came around too. As much as Prucha is endeared by all, Hossa could be some type of package. And he's still learning how to put it all together. At this point, he is more than useless 4th line fodder for the simple fact that I do not consider Prucha 4th line rubbish as well.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Something I think went unnoticed was his screen on the 1st Straka goal. Too many times, when Nylander was a part of that line, everything was kept to the outside. But, if Hossa gets his big body in front of the net like he did then, he brings an element that's been missing from that line.
Agreed. I'd like to see Nyls shooting through more Avery/Shanny screens.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:09 AM
in the hall

I'm not gonna lie.. i've never been a fan but i will admit he is growing on me

a lot of why i was never a fan had to do with Renney's stubborn-ness in playing him.. so it's not all hossa

this season i've been very pleased, and how can you hate on how he's played lately.. hope he continues

the thing i've always liked about him is puck control, he certainly has offensive talent and this season it seems like he's learned to round out his game much more.. except minus the offense which is i guess what we're all waiting for.. he is a good fourth liner imo, possibly our best if you consider his all around game.. but because he doesn't bring something extra like hollweg does, its his job i want taken by one of the kids.. after orr's of course

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I always liked Hossa's game as long as I saw improvements, which I did.

A few weeks back nobody picked up on a key play Hossa made, not even Sam or Joe, in fact no one anywhere mentioned it: I forget which game it was, but It mustve been in January. Anyway, Hossa skated his butt of to negate and icing, swung the puck around the boards and Jagr or Nylander got to the puck and the Rangers ending up scoring on the play, maybe it was Jagr. Anyway, my whole point is that Hossa negated the icing resulting in the goal(which mightve been a game winner or it tied a game) and nobody took notice. It's little things like that i've seen from him more and more as his icetime was being increased.

Maybe he'll continue to be streaky, who knows, but I was never along with the 'Hossa sucks' crowd.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

I think the Poll pretty much speaks for itself.

One thing I do want to say and that is why he has improved:

He has always had good puck control and skill...the real problem was that he was stick-handle too much and end up with the puck being stripped away from him. Now what he has done is really SIMPLIFY his game by stick-handling less, passing more and shooting more! His decision-making is much quicker now and he really looks like he is thinking the game...not just stick-handling for the sake of stick-handling.

Also, I think that he is more of a 4th liner...I think that he will become a solid 2nd line player for us....20 goals, 20-30 assists is not impossible for him.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I have always hoped for the best with Marcel, and he has steadily come along all season with stronger defensive play. It seems like now he is looking to add some offense to his game which I fully support. Hopefully he keeps up the solid play.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Levitate

Scoring two games in a row isn't going to make me think that Hossa is about to break out as real scoring threat, but I think the thing is that he's gone from being a supposed scorer who seemed mentally out of it and not capable of putting in the consistant effort, to a hard working 3rd/4th liner who has simplified his game and in doing so, has given himself the opportunity to stick in the lineup and learn the game better as well as gain confidence.

In theory, it'd be great if he could continue to build off of his hard work and better understanding of the game and continue to put up points. I'm not sold on the idea that it'll happen, since again, a couple of goals is hardly indicative of a breakout. But I do think he's been looking better lately, and has handled the increased icetime and responsibilities.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:01 PM
chosen

An awful lot of posters here owe Renney an apology for his insistence on keeping Hossa in the lineup, unless Hossa disappears again.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:04 AM
The Thomas J.*

JEFF TOMS! Thats who it was!
Hossa is this years version of Jeff Toms!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:24 AM
bleedrngrblue

It sure is interesting reading all this positive stuff about Marcel Hossa. From my perspective its long overdue, and in some ways over the top. I've been a Hossa supporter from the beginning both here and other boards. There are several of you who can verify this. I can say honestly, that I understood those who didn't like him, even if I disagreed with them. From the first time he hit the ice in a Ranger uniform, I saw potential, in spurts, of the player he is now becoming. Problem was, he seemed unfocused and lost at times on the ice last season, almost lacadaisical. I'm honestly not surprised by anything other than the fact he's on a line with Jagr. He has shown glimpses of this ability, and he has pretty much shown the ability to dominate and dictate play with puck moving skills along the boards for over a season. The question is, does he finally have it all together for good. Is he now blossoming into the player some saw the potential of. Alot is riding on the rest of this season for him and the Rangers, lets hope it turns out well!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:01 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Easy, my friend...I've mentioned in quite a few places that its still too early to tell if this move up to the next level of play is the real thing for Hossa..But, you know what, I take what I can get from this team, and right now Hossa is playing damn well..,,And much better then I ever, ever expected (I couldn't stand the guy).....ANd, without a doubt, playing much better then Prucha RIGHT NOW..Don't see how anybody can say otherwise...Doesn;t mean it will be like this next week or the week after but, for the Rangers sake, I hope he keeps it up...
I hope that he can keep it up to, but would find it rather mirculous if he did. Don't get me wrong, it is not like I want Hossa to be the 4th player he has shown himself to be. Off course I want more. However, after 2 years, I just need to see it over a longer period of time. And these types of threads seem to crop up every couple of months after his latest hot flash. Then they disappear, and the same people then avow that although they have always supported him, it is time to cut the cord. Then he gets a hotflash and the same ouflowing of "Here comes Hossa" threads crop up again.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:34 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Up until the past 2 weeks!?!? He has been playing great ALL year and not once was there a thought to bump him up onto the top 2 lines until recently.
He has certainly not been playing great all year. I would not call a player who up until the last 4 games had 2 goals and 3 assists as "great". Indeed, many of the same (note: not all) posters that are now beating the drum for him were getting ready to cut the cord not all that long ago.
Quote:
Prucha had a great rookie season but where has he been this year. Put aside who he's played with this season, he has done nothing to show the type of game he possessed last season.
Except you really cannot put aside who he has played with this season. Having the wonderous Betts as your center, does not do much. Or Cullen, who pretty much managed to nueter even a player like Shanny's goal scoring. Prucha also has had, at least up until the last several games, his PP time reduced to nothing. That affects his timing and confidence. His treatment is no way to develop your best rookie forward since Amonth & Weight. His treatment is a prime example why the organization has always relied on outside free agents and has been incapable of developing it's own players.
Quote:
Thats all him, he hasnt been shooting the puck well. And anyway you look at it this thread still has nothing to do with him. Why is he being brought up when its Hossa we are talking about because its Hossa who has been playing good?
It has to do with him when a player like Hossa gets more chances than a player like Prucha.
Quote:
as part of his debate I'm take Hossa;s side because he has been the better player.
To recap again, until 4 games ago, Hossa had 2 goals and 3 assists. How on Earth is that better than Prucha?
Quote:
Are you kidding??? Prucha has had much more opportunities on the top 2 lines as opposed to Hossa.
No, I am not kidding. Hossa skated with almost no points for virtually 3 months on the 2nd line last year. This year, Prucha started on it, then despite having more points than Cullen, was demoted from it. He has been a healthy scratch a few times and has found himself on either the 3rd or 4th line, with virtually no PP time plenty of times.
Quote:
its in him but Hossa has been playing gread lets not take the credit away from him when he has earned the credibility just because you like Prucha better. Again there was no reason to bring him up in this thread.
I explained why I brought him up in this thread. Liking Prucha or not, to me he is the superior player. Hossa has more natural talent, but that means exactly squat. To me, up until the last 4 games, Hossa HAS NOT been the better player. And since these 5 game hot flashes are common for him, I am not getting overly excited by it.
Quote:
Let's see because Prucha has a small body, he has been run at continuously and last year as we all know a Flyer took a run at him, injuring him.
Let's not misrepresent his injury. It was a fluke as he happened to be twisting the wrong way. It is not like he got run, caught the blast full on and did not get up. Last I checked Sullivan, Kariya, Gionta & St. Louis all have small bodies and have other peopel take runs at them.
Quote:
Since then he hasnt been the same player, not in the least bit.
This year, how many goals has Shanny scored with Cullen or Betts? Answer that and you will have your answer regarding Prucha not being the "same" player this year. Also, let's not forget that he was one of the better forwards in the playoffs last year, netting one of the few goals.
Quote:
Hossa on the other hand creates great space with his size and ability to handle the puck. He almost always comes out of the corner with the puck drawing two guys to him because it is hard to get the puck from him. What does this do? It creates space for Jagr to make things happen like he did last year.
Let's not make Hossa out something that he isn't. Where were these posts before the last 4 games? Where was the praise for him drawing multiple people to him each time he has the puck?
Quote:
Hossa also has a great shot.
How did his wonderous shot do for him last year? Or most of this year?
Quote:
Hossa can do more with Jagr than Prucha can.
4 games and he can suddenly do more than Prucha can. In one year, Prucha tallied more goals than Hossa has in his entire career. Up until 4 games ago, the amount of goals that Pruch scored THIS year was more than half than Hossa has in his entire career.
Quote:
C'mon just look at the last few games with Hossa on Jagr's line. All year Jagr has had no jump in his game, all the sudden with Hossa on his line he looks faster because he is open more now. He is skating harder because he is getting free more with Hossa on his line. The chemistry is there because Hossa is there.
Sorry, but I have a hard time in looking to Hossa as a reason for Jagr's play.
Quote:
Yeh but Shanny has 25+ goals this season! And most of the season he had been with Cullen. Thats the difference.
Not really the case. Out of Shanny's 27 goals, 13 have been on the PP, and those had nothing to do with Cullen. Cullen has the grand total of 15 assists, and it is not like he has assisted on every one of Shanny's ES goals. So, no. Shanny's goals have very little to do with Cullen.
Quote:
Prucha needs guys for him to play better. Hossa doesnt.
Now that is rich. Now Hossa does not need other players to play better, he can do it all on his own. He must have been simply resting these past few years.
Quote:
Hossa has been playing great all year, having an all around game making things happen while always being with guys like Betts and Ward who cant/couldnt finish.
Up until the last 4 games, he could not finish on a line with Messier and Gretzky. And no, he has not been playing great all year.
Quote:
Stop making excuses for a guy who has simply had a bad year.
A bad year and he is still 4th on the teamin goal scoring. Would that Hossa would be capable of having such a bad year.
Quote:
Oh please, sure he's been knocked off the puck before but c'mon man, your the one ignoring how he's truely played this season. He's been winning the puck in the corners all year coming off the boards to the middle and making things happen.
No, I just do not think that overall he has been that great. He has looked finewhen playing against other team's 4th liners. But I am not ready to annoit him as a legit top-6 forward yet, nor ready to play against other team's best players, night-in & night-out.

Old
02-14-2007, 10:33 AM
IanB

Quote:
Except you really cannot put aside who he has played with this season. Having the wonderous Betts as your center, does not do much. Or Cullen, who pretty much managed to nueter even a player like Shanny's goal scoring. Prucha also has had, at least up until the last several games, his PP time reduced to nothing. That affects his timing and confidence. His treatment is no way to develop your best rookie forward since Amonth & Weight. His treatment is a prime example why the organization has always relied on outside free agents and has been incapable of developing it's own players.
Shanahan had Cullen as his center the entire early part of the season when he was leading the Rangers (and in spurts, the league) in goals. He didn't necessarily contribute to Shanahan's production, but he didnt deter it either. If anything, what hurt Prucha was Shanahan taking his Powerplay time - where Shanahan scored the most consistently. So I agree with you that there is a veteran bias at play here, but I dont think its fair to blame Cullen entirely for Prucha's lack of production.

Quote:
No, I am not kidding. Hossa skated with almost no points for virtually 3 months on the 2nd line last year. This year, Prucha started on it, then despite having more points than Cullen, was demoted from it. He has been a healthy scratch a few times and has found himself on either the 3rd or 4th line, with virtually no PP time plenty of times.
The subject of discussion is Hossa this year, not last. If you look it up, you'll see Prucha and Hossa each have the same amount of games played this season (54), therefore they've each been scratched twice. Prucha has been on the second Powerplay unit the majority of the year, and spent alot more time in the top six than Hossa, who only got his first taste of it last Friday. Otherwise, Hossa has spent the entire year on the 3rd and 4th line, and killing penalties where he is effective. Thats fine, he can play that checking role, but Prucha can't. This year, Prucha has gotten alot more opportunities than Hossa. Hossa absolutely deserves the one he is getting now, more so than Prucha.

Quote:
This year, how many goals has Shanny scored with Cullen or Betts? Answer that and you will have your answer regarding Prucha not being the "same" player this year. Also, let's not forget that he was one of the better forwards in the playoffs last year, netting one of the few goals.
I think most of us would agree that Hossa was one of our better forwards in the playoffs last year as well. But that distinction doesnt hinge upon whether or not he scored goals, but what he does off the score sheet. Hossa is having an offensive spurt right now, sure, but he seems to have a legitimate chemistry with Straka and Jagr. Before that, he was playing well without scoring goals.This year, Hossa has been a consistent, capable checking line forward and penalty killer. He has been much more verstaile for the Rangers than Prucha.

Quote:
Let's not make Hossa out something that he isn't. Where were these posts before the last 4 games? Where was the praise for him drawing multiple people to him each time he has the puck?
Whether he was praised for it or not, he has been doing it. Against the Capitals the other night, for example, he drew three players, and set up Jagr all alone in the slot. When was the last time Jagr had space like that? I look at it this way - Nylander can handle the puck all around the offensive zone, but noone is going to go to him because he never shoots. They'll just take away his passing options. With Hossa, he can draw the attention of the defense and make a pass to Jagr or Straka, or if the defense sits back on him, he'll take a shot - he did it against Tampa Bay. In this way, Hossa is making Straka and Jagr better. Like I said, he could just be having a spurt right now, but I see the way he is doing what he is doing as indicative of something much more.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:06 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe426 View Post
Shanahan had Cullen as his center the entire early part of the season when he was leading the Rangers (and in spurts, the league) in goals. He didn't necessarily contribute to Shanahan's production, but he didnt deter it either.
Again, half of Shanny's goals came on the PP, so that had nothing to do with Cullen. And since Cullen has 15 assists, I would be willing to bet the farm that he did not have an assist on each of Shanny's ES goals. So, one can make a correlation that Cullen has been about as much a detriment to Shanny's scoring as he has been to Prucha's. So one cannot just say that Cullen is not preventing Shanny from scoring mroe goals when they play together.
Quote:
The subject of discussion is Hossa this year, not last.
Yes, it is. And the fact of the matter is that I just do not see Hossa as being so wonderfull. Has he looked fine when playing against the opposing team's 4th liners? Sure. But he has hardly skated circles around them. And when talking about rookie players, the prior year cannot be discounted.
Quote:
Prucha has been on the second Powerplay unit the majority of the year,
Let's call a spade a spade here. The 2nd unit has played about 15 seconds of each PP for the majority of the year.
Quote:
This year, Prucha has gotten alot more opportunities than Hossa. Hossa absolutely deserves the one he is getting now, more so than Prucha.
Again, I disagree. Hossa's rope is at least 3 times as long as Prucha's. And it takes more than 4 games for me to say that one player is playing better than the other.
Quote:
Like I said, he could just be having a spurt right now, but I see the way he is doing what he is doing as indicative of something much more.
Time will tell and I certainly hope that you are right, but the cynic in me tends to disagree. What Hossa is doing now is no different than he has done in his entire career.

Old
02-17-2007, 12:41 PM
BigE

90 people have always been a supporter of Hossa?

Jesus christ, how the mighty have fallen.

I'm glad someone chose to renew the Hossa discussion - I'm just a little disappointed it's already six pages. I don't want to read through all of it.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Another goal for Marcel. 4 goals in 6 games. The start of something, or just the usual streaky Hossa putting together a few nice games?

Time will tell.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 01:55 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
He's playing like I expected him to play. Making the most of his big frame and talent. Will he score 30 next year? Hard to say but I think this staff is going to give him a chance to do just that.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 06:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
In another couple of weeks, it will be 90 going the other way.

Old
02-17-2007, 06:22 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
He's playing like I expected him to play. Making the most of his big frame and talent. Will he score 30 next year? Hard to say but I think this staff is going to give him a chance to do just that.
It has to depend on these last 25 or so game. If he pulls another of his diappearing acts, he does not deserve a shot. If he can keep it up for another 20 games, it will be hard to argue preventing him from getting a shot.

Old
02-17-2007, 07:02 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
It has to depend on these last 25 or so game. If he pulls another of his diappearing acts, he does not deserve a shot. If he can keep it up for another 20 games, it will be hard to argue preventing him from getting a shot.
That's exactly my point but I have more confidence in him keeping it up than many.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
That's what I thought when I saw it.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:19 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Another goal for Marcel. 4 goals in 6 games. The start of something, or just the usual streaky Hossa putting together a few nice games?

Time will tell.
Has he ever scored 4 goals in 6 games?

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:23 PM
shoothepuck

Another goal today, against the Hawks, the game winner. If he can continue to keep it up, he will be a valuable player for this team.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:47 PM
FLYLine24*

5 goals in his last 7 games, not bad.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote