HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do NOW!!!!!

Old
02-10-2007, 11:25 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 672
What to do NOW!!!!!

With the fracking Flames getting Stuart, it is obvious the oilers can not wait till the dead line to do something

Take the flames off of the list of teams the oilers are chasing

Nucks and Wild..... 8 and 6 points down(maybe 8 and 8 nucks are up by a goal)

1 game on hand on the nucks and 2 on the wild

8 games till the deadline

I think the oilers will go 4 and 4 for 8 points over that streatch

Nucks have 7 games till the deadline

I see the nuck going 3-4 with the oilers picking up only 2 points

that leaves the chase on for the wild

they have 6 games

and I see them going 4-2 over that streatch

either Lowe does something shortly to try and go better then 4-4 in the next 8 games or it is time to become a seller for this season and build for next

get ready to flame me

but---it maybe time to get teams to kick the tires on Ryan Smyth and see what the oilers get for him and then try to resign him after the playoffs.....

Pisani, Horcroff, Smith and Staois

the clock of death has now started for the oilers

either lowe does something to improve the team for a run or he takes a step back and fold the tents up for the year

oiles can no longer wait for the deadline

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Declassified

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
With the fracking Flames getting Stuart, it is obvious the oilers can not wait till the dead line to do something

Take the flames off of the list of teams the oilers are chasing

Nucks and Wild..... 8 and 6 points down(maybe 8 and 8 nucks are up by a goal)

1 game on hand on the nucks and 2 on the wild

8 games till the deadline

I think the oilers will go 4 and 4 for 8 points over that streatch

Nucks have 7 games till the deadline

I see the nuck going 3-4 with the oilers picking up only 2 points

that leaves the chase on for the wild

they have 6 games

and I see them going 4-2 over that streatch

either Lowe does something shortly to try and go better then 4-4 in the next 8 games or it is time to become a seller for this season and build for next

get ready to flame me

but---it maybe time to get teams to kick the tires on Ryan Smyth and see what the oilers get for him and then try to resign him after the playoffs.....

Pisani, Horcroff, Smith and Staois

the clock of death has now started for the oilers

either lowe does something to improve the team for a run or he takes a step back and fold the tents up for the year

oiles can no longer wait for the deadline
breathe

relax

it's out of our hands

if something happens it happens, if it doesnt, it doesnt. it's as simple that

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Gunner8811

vCash: 500
Does Kevin Lowe even work for the Oilers anymore? Sure been awful quiet on the GM front of this team.....all year.

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Two options:

Sell or buy.

We can't wait much longer to buy.

We can wait a lot longer to sell.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:31 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Two options:

Sell or buy.

We can't wait much longer to buy.

We can wait a lot longer to sell.
but watch Lowe do nothing till the deadline--trade both first rounders and schremp and map and maybe cogs for something that will not get them into the playoffs

enless Luongo gets injured--oilers are not going to catch the nucks

Old
02-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Marvin

settle down....this team is not nearly as good as it was a year ago and they still had clinch a playoff spot on game 81...and then the whole Pronger thing basically set this team back at least 1 year and maybe 2....getting a rental player to maybe make the playoffs to get swept or lose in 5 games is not worth it...Lowe will make the right trade for the right D-man when it works for this team...and it will work for this team when that D-man is a long term investment, not a rental...

Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:49 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
but watch Lowe do nothing till the deadline--trade both first rounders and schremp and map and maybe cogs for something that will not get them into the playoffs

Chicken Little.

Stuart wasn't the answer for the Oilers. He helps the Flamers, but they are still catchable. In the end I still think Lowe needs to be a seller simply because this team needs too much help to make a serious run. Adding one Dman, regardless of who it is, likely isnt going to save this team. Even if we win 6 of 8 before the deadline, I think Lowe will proceed cautiously and make minor deals to add depth, but nothing big.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:53 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Chicken Little.

Stuart wasn't the answer for the Oilers. He helps the Flamers, but they are still catchable. In the end I still think Lowe needs to be a seller simply because this team needs too much help to make a serious run. Adding one Dman, regardless of who it is, likely isnt going to save this team. Even if we win 6 of 8 before the deadline, I think Lowe will proceed cautiously and make minor deals to add depth, but nothing big.
But Stuart makes the Flames that much better and gives them something without giving up very much

This makes the flames a better team

realistically--the oilers are now chasing the Nucks and Wild and it looks to be 8 points down from both

If Lowe waits to the deadline to do a deal

I would rather see Pisani, Horcroff, Smyth or Smith go then any of the kids

Old
02-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Tyrolean

Just have patience and don't panic because of what other teams are doing. You can't control that so it's no use being paranoid about it. Lowe will do what's best for the team and I am sure he will do it wisely without sacrificing too much.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:08 AM
metallicat

I think Lowe should wait until the off-season now. If this team can get hot, they can still make the playoffs as is, and we all know what can happen from there. I do not want management mortgaging the future (read: Lupul) for a rental d-man when it's clear this team is not one of the elite teams. One d-man will not make enough of a difference unless it's a FCP.

metallicat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:10 AM
itsmagic

It is at times like these that I'm glad that the armchair GMs for the Oilers don't actually have any real input in how the team is run.

itsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Declassified

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmagic View Post
It is at times like these that I'm glad that the armchair GMs for the Oilers don't actually have any real input in how the team is run.
oh my god, you have no idea.

i hope these posters don't get jumping on and off the bandwagon

Old
02-11-2007, 12:21 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

3-1 nucks oilers 8 points behing the Nucks and wild

2 games in hand on the wild and 1 on the nucks

which of those two team look the weakest?

for the past two weeks I have been firmly in the buyer catagory

the dynamics have now changed and teams knowing full well the oilers just got a hit(depending on how you look at it) and teams that have been talking with the oilers may now ask for something more then they were before.

Old
02-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Elim99

Quote:

I hate to tell you but the Oilers are a longshot right now to make the playoffs. If Lowe made the same trade, I would be asking him to be fired. The Flames are a better team then the Oilers and have a shot to do a lot of damage. Even if the Oilers make the playoffs, it is very unlikely they would get past the first round. This is not the same team as last year.

Just say no to UFAs!

Elim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Declassified

Quote:
3-1 nucks oilers 8 points behing the Nucks and wild

2 games in hand on the wild and 1 on the nucks

which of those two team look the weakest?

for the past two weeks I have been firmly in the buyer catagory

the dynamics have now changed and teams knowing full well the oilers just got a hit(depending on how you look at it) and teams that have been talking with the oilers may now ask for something more then they were before.

dude step away from the computer. give it a rest.

Old
02-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Cerebral

This might strike some people as really backwards logic but think about it for a second: Realistically, catching the Flames is going to be a very difficult task. Assuming Stuart makes them a better team (and I really think it will - Stuart-Regehr will be a far better top pairing than Regehr-Warrener), Calgary plays a lot of games against the teams we're chasing and they could have a better chance of winning those games. They play...

Colorado 6 more times
Minnesota 4 more times
Vancouver 1 more time

Who knows, maybe Calgary picking up Stuart will actually help us in an indirect way.

02-11-2007, 12:27 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Enless Col goes out and gets some players--they are a none factor. IMO.

I am looking at the teams in front--not behind

flames were 11-5-3 against NW teams before the trade

Old
02-11-2007, 12:27 AM
21Gator*

I think we still pick up a Dman. But why overpay? This teams isn't a Brad Stuart away from the Stanley Cup. If I were Lowe I would probably pick up a guy last minute, whoever doesn't get swept up, as all teh buyers will be gone and maybe we get a dump.

With the trade deadline earlier, we may still make the playoffs with a move like that, and without giving up two roster guys, one with a sweetheart deal.

This is not the end of the world. The sky is not falling.

I can't wait for the draft.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:29 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
This might strike some people as really backwards logic but think about it for a second: Realistically, catching the Flames is going to be a very difficult task. Assuming Stuart makes them a better team (and I really think it will - Stuart-Regehr will be a far better top pairing than Regehr-Warrener), Calgary plays a lot of games against the teams we're chasing and they could have a better chance of winning those games. They play...

Colorado 6 more times
Minnesota 4 more times
Vancouver 1 more time

Who knows, maybe Calgary picking up Stuart will actually help us in an indirect way.
Interesting take. The Oil would still need to get a solid streak together even with the Flames' help though. Its not going to be easy.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:30 AM
smytty's mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
cerebral, please do not bring logic into this debate.

of course you are right, but it's so much fun to watch the guys who would have elected lowe as premier last year now demand that he be fired because he's not mortgaging the future to try to squeak into 8th and get demolished in round 1.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:34 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet View Post
cerebral, please do not bring logic into this debate.

of course you are right, but it's so much fun to watch the guys who would have elected lowe as premier last year now demand that he be fired because he's not mortgaging the future to try to squeak into 8th and get demolished in round 1.
has anyone used the word FIRED

some of us are banging our collective heads at the fact that it is no secret that oilers have had a problem on the d-line and has done nothing to change it

and now if Lowe does make a move on d-- he will more then likely have to over pay more then if he had done something in the off season last year or ealier this year

Old
02-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Declassified

Quote:

some of us are banging our collective heads at the fact that it is no secret that oilers have had a problem on the d-line and has done nothing to change it

and now if Lowe does make a move on d-- he will more then likely have to over pay more then if he had done something in the off season last year or ealier this year
you are just jealous that the Flames have a shiny new toy to play with, and now you want a shiny new toy too.

and that shiny new toy the flames have is just a gi joe covered in Gold leaf

Old
02-11-2007, 12:43 AM
hockeyaddict101

Give me a break people.

None of us wanted to give up a roster player for Stuart and now suddenly we should have? IMO it would be a stupid deal and I not convinced it wasn't a stupid deal for Calgary whether they sign him or not! It was a pretty big price and BTW, the draft pick is ONLY a conditional draft pick.

I'm not changing my spots, I have said from the beginning that I would not give up a roster player for Stuart.

Be honest how many of you that are crying about Lowe said the same thing!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:45 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Based on what? The price for D-men has been very high since the UFA market hit. Guys like Stuart weren't even available until recently. You can't fault Lowe for not picking up something that wasn't an option.

And now that the market is going, yeah Lowe could have made a play for Stuart, but he decided the price was too high. I wouldn't want to trade a young forward for Stuart.

If there is a deal that is in our interest to make short term and long term then Lowe will make it, if not then we sell, take our proceeds from the sale and our high draft pick, and plan for next season.

Honestly, what are our chances even with upgrades through trades against Anaheim, Nashville, SJ, Buffalo, Dallas(if healthy), or NJ? Last year we were a goalie away. This year, we are further then that.

Carolina went from the finals to drafting Staal 3rd overall, and back to the Cup. Why can't we do something like that? Adding an top 7/8 pick would be very helpful long term. Kane? Esposito? Alzner, Couture, Cherapanov, Turris? There are some good kids this draft.

Personally I'd kill for Turris or Couture. Both fairly reasonably accessible with out potential draft position. Or if we can move up, Alzner. I think he has hidden offensive potential and a great shot. He and Smid could make a great top pairing for us.

Last edited by s7ark: 02-11-2007 at 12:56 AM.
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:46 AM
smytty's mullet

Quote:

you didn't suggest he should be fired. but other posters on this board continually question his ability to do his job. believe it or not, i'm quite sure lowe is aware that his defence sucks. it's not like he's going to come to this board and read all of our posts and all the sudden realize he needs to make a deal. as for your complaint that he has done nothing to fix the problem...the easy thing for lowe would be to decide he's going to get a certain defenceman no matter what it costs him. gm's that approach their jobs that way have a short shelf life. what would the reaction be with oiler fans if lowe gives up lupul and torres for a ufa d-man? we'd all want his head on a platter.

as for your point that lowe will have to overpay more now that stuart has been traded...i'm not so sure. i think lowe knows he's way more than one player away from winning and so he isn't focused on the ufa market, trying to find a quick fix that will hurt him in the long run. maybe, just maybe, a team that has a good, young, signed, puck moving defenseman needs a scoring forward more than they need their own young d-man to make a run this year. maybe, lowe gets his guy because the other gm needs what lowe's offering more than lowe needs the defenceman.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote