HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do NOW!!!!!

Old
02-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Hahahahaha!

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:52 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet View Post
you didn't suggest he should be fired. but other posters on this board continually question his ability to do his job. believe it or not, i'm quite sure lowe is aware that his defence sucks. it's not like he's going to come to this board and read all of our posts and all the sudden realize he needs to make a deal. as for your complaint that he has done nothing to fix the problem...the easy thing for lowe would be to decide he's going to get a certain defenceman no matter what it costs him. gm's that approach their jobs that way have a short shelf life. what would the reaction be with oiler fans if lowe gives up lupul and torres for a ufa d-man? we'd all want his head on a platter.

as for your point that lowe will have to overpay more now that stuart has been traded...i'm not so sure. i think lowe knows he's way more than one player away from winning and so he isn't focused on the ufa market, trying to find a quick fix that will hurt him in the long run. maybe, just maybe, a team that has a good, young, signed, puck moving defenseman needs a scoring forward more than they need their own young d-man to make a run this year. maybe, lowe gets his guy because the other gm needs what lowe's offering more than lowe needs the defenceman.
and if the Oilers can not resign Smyth, how does the oilers offense look for next year?

If you are Smyth and you see the oilers have not done anything to try to solve the probelm on D--do you sign here and hope that Lowe doe something at some point in time? or do you look around for a team that looks like they maybe on the verge of winning a cup?

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
and if the Oilers can not resign Smyth, how does the oilers offense look for next year?

If you are Smyth and you see the oilers have not done anything to try to solve the probelm on D--do you sign here and hope that Lowe doe something at some point in time? or do you look around for a team that looks like they maybe on the verge of winning a cup?

^ I suggest you go to the L-store and buy some happy pop as I did and laugh at the whole thing.. or you could just have a nervous break-down, its up to you.

I'm actually happy the Oil didn't aquire Stuart.

Old
02-10-2007, 11:59 PM
smytty's mullet

Quote:

if the oil don't resign smyth, they will have $5 million to go out and get a player in free agency or via trade with a team that needs to move salary. they could also have a good young player or two that could potentially come in a deal if they trade ryan at the deadline.

as for your second argument...if i'm smyth, i'm looking at lowe's track record, how he beat the entire league to the punch when he aquired pronger and again when he gave up absolutely nothing to get tarnstrom and spacek last year, and i assume he know's what he'd doing. i can imagine it's frustrating for the players, but at the same time, i think they have confidence based on what lowe's done in the past that he'll make a deal that will be best for the team in the long run.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:05 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

The question still there

WHAT DO THE OILERS DO NOW????

wait till next year and become sellers

or do they now overpay heavily for atleast one d-man?

if the oilers do nothing

does this hurt the chances of Smythy re-signing in the off season?

Old
02-11-2007, 12:08 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
The question still there

if the oilers do nothing

I think when Stoll's injury proved to be long term, we were already out. We are now a number 1 D and a 2nd line C away from just matching the contending teams and that is if we don't lose and roster players picking them up. I don't think this is our year.

02-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Vagabond

Quote:
The question still there

if the oilers do nothing

S*** no! What happens when you punch gummby in the mullet?

Nothing, because its just his hair.

What happens when gummby gets punched in the nose or teeth?

Copper and blue will leak out.

Smyth was here in the lean years and he.. just as recently as last season went to game 7 of the cup final.

I say he signs.

Old
02-11-2007, 12:15 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

8 points behind

Calgary
Minny
Nucks

even with games with Calgary, two games on Miny and one game on the nucks.....

Old
02-11-2007, 12:16 AM
hockeyaddict101

This trade has nothing to do with Smyth resigning with the Oilers.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:20 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
S*** no! What happens when you punch gummby in the mullet?

Nothing, because its just his hair.

What happens when gummby gets punched in the nose or teeth?

Copper and blue will leak out.

Smyth was here in the lean years and he.. just as recently as last season went to game 7 of the cup final.

I say he signs.
Memories are often short

Smyth may look at the oilers as a one-hit wonder and decide his chances for the cup are better elsewhere

my greatest fear right now is that Lowe will now do a trade where he heavily over pays for a d-man

Old
02-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Oilers Fan 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
breathe

relax

it's out of our hands

if something happens it happens, if it doesnt, it doesnt. it's as simple that
no *****

Oilers Fan 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Well this thread isn't going anywhere specific and im bored, its late and i need some entertainment, so i'm gonna go out and post some random thoughts which came to me like dream on what the Oilers should do to make this awesome:

Make a few trades:

-Brewer for 4th + JFJ + Winchester (1st and a decent prospect my ass, no way he gets something like that, count on it, people pimp players on these boards sooo much)

-Kyle Calder for Goulet

-Olesz + Stumpel for Mikhnov + MAB + 2nd

-Berard for 3rd + Young

Our New lineup becomes:

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-Olesz
Calder-Stumpel-Lupul
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Stortini MAP

Brewer-Smith
Hejda-Staois
Berard-Shaggy
Greene

Smid is in Minors to help him tweak his game and gain more confidence

PP1:

Horcoff-Smyth-Hemsky
Stoll-Berard

...Thoughts...

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Vagabond

Quote:
Memories are often short

Smyth may look at the oilers as a one-hit wonder and decide his chances for the cup are better elsewhere

my greatest fear right now is that Lowe will now do a trade where he heavily over pays for a d-man

^ I think you're deciding on his behalf. Stop with the "what ifs", you'll become anemic or contract syphilis or something.

Old
02-11-2007, 12:28 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Well this thread isn't going anywhere specific and im bored, its late and i need some entertainment, so i'm gonna go out and post some random thoughts which came to me like dream on what the Oilers should do to make this awesome:

Make a few trades:

-Brewer for 4th + JFJ + Winchester (1st and a decent prospect my ass, no way he gets something like that, count on it, people pimp players on these boards sooo much)

-Kyle Calder for Goulet

-Olesz + Stumpel for Mikhnov + MAB + 2nd

-Berard for 3rd + Young

Our New lineup becomes:

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
Torres-Stoll-Olesz
Calder-Stumpel-Lupul
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Stortini MAP

Brewer-Smith
Hejda-Staois
Berard-Shaggy
Greene

Smid is in Minors to help him tweak his game and gain more confidence

PP1:

Horcoff-Smyth-Hemsky
Stoll-Berard

...Thoughts...

So we give up all of our B list prospects, no 1st rounder and throw in MAB and pick up a bunch of viable NHLer's. Awesome

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:31 AM
PanniniClaus

Kevin has been sitting with his laptop open to Eklund's site and he's hitting the refresh button every 30 seconds. When he sees an E5 with the Oilers name in it- he's pulling the trigger.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:33 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Wow, I didn't realize. We are 8 points out of a playoff spot, but only 6 points up on the 5th drafting team. If we sell early we stand a good chance of getting one of Kane, Alzner, Turris, Cherapanov, or Esposito. That kind of prospect, when added to the sale proceeds, make selling much more attractive.

I think tomorrow's game will be the game. If we lose that one, we are likely selling. And sooner rather then later.

That Stoll injury just came at the worst possible time Just like the Smyth/Hemsky thing right when we were at the top of the NW. Maybe TOPPEP needs a year to recharge?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:36 AM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Wow, I didn't realize. We are 8 points out of a playoff spot, but only 6 points up on the 5th drafting team. If we sell early we stand a good chance of getting one of Kane, Alzner, Turris, Cherapanov, or Esposito. That kind of prospect, when added to the sale proceeds, make selling much more attractive.

I think tomorrow's game will be the game. If we lose that one, we are likely selling. And sooner rather then later.

That Stoll injury just came at the worst possible time Just like the Smyth/Hemsky thing right when we were at the top of the NW. Maybe TOPPEP needs a year to recharge?
Yeah, we've actually been in this same position for nearly a month now where we are relatively the same distance from a top 5 pick as we are from a playoff spot.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:40 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

If the worse case happens (people I am just playing hypothetical here) and the Oilers get the number one pick.

Which player do you choose?

Old
02-11-2007, 12:41 AM
HotToddy

Quote:

Having players out for two weeks hurt your lineup shouldn't happen. To me it points to a fundamental problem with the team this year, lack of forward depth.

I really hope that management signs some cheap veteran forwards this summer, make any rookie who wants a spot in the lineup earn it in camp the old fashioned way, by beating a vet.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:05 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
If the worse case happens (people I am just playing hypothetical here) and the Oilers get the number one pick.

Which player do you choose?
My pref would be Turris or Alzner, with Couture a possibility as well, based on who finishes strongest, and when Couture has recovered fully from mono. But there are far more knowledgeable people then I, I am most going off scouting reports and limited views on these kids.

Some of my fav quotes about these 3. All from Mckeen's

Turris - C - 17 - 6-1 - 170lbs - BCHL
- there is nothing in here I don't love to read. It hits every nail.
"Simply is an effortless skater that almost looks like he can reach top speed without trying .. wears an A .. dishes out breakaway passes thanks to his vision and elite delivery .. will go to the net .. boasts the ability to slip through defensive coverage almost untouched and get a scoring chance .. displays a ton of energy even with his extra time on the ice .. unselfish, but reads the game so well that he knows when to shoot and when to pass .. a deadly accurate array of shots and heaven help a goalie that is left alone with him .. moves the passing and shooting lanes so well that it makes it hard for checkers to mark him .. an exceptional stickhandler in and out of traffic .. terrific balance on his skates and rarely gets knocked down"

Alzner - D - 18 - 6-2 - 210 - WHL - tries to play like Neidermeyer
"displaying his rock solid defensive game and developing offensive prowess as expected .. logs a ton of minutes .. played in all key situations and is matched up against the oppositions top line .. currently wears the A .. is an excellent skater with deceptive top speed and acceleration .. has a booming shot from the point that he unleashes from either side of the net keeping low and on target .. exceedingly well-rounded accented by a smothering defensive game .. probably most NHL ready draftee this year due to vast defensive maturity and few apparent weaknesses .. positioning, physicality, stick work, poise and feet are all top notch .. funneling techniques and ability to keep play to the outside are most impressive traits .. offense continues to develop as he aggressively joins the attack and pinches from the point .. drives hard to the net off the wing looking much like a forward, using his speed and sneaky hands to beat the opposition wide."

Couture - C - 17 - 6-0 - 190 - OHL- I'll wait to see how he looks fully recovered from mono. Has super high potential apparently, hence why I listed him as well if he impresses down the stretch.

Realistically, I don't think we can "catch" Philly though They have the 1st overall by 11 points right now. We are 22 points up on them.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Cerebral

I've said it all along, this is a terrible, terrible, terrible year to tank for a high draft pick. I was sitting behind two scouts (one of whom worked for the Kings) at the Canadian Juniors camp down at Father David Bauer and they were talking about the upcoming draft. One of them mentioned that they usually rate all the players on a scale to A+ and that most drafts typically at least had a few A to A+ players. This time around, they had difficulty even giving ONE player an A- rating.

I absolutely love the depth of this draft (we should be able to get quality players with both of our first rounders and our 2nd rounder as well) but the top end depth is really weak. The only guy that really intrigues me is Turris - he could be an offensive dynamo and his overall potential is somewhat up in the air at this point. This simply isn't a very good year to have a top 5 pick in contrast to previous drafts.

02-11-2007, 01:12 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Having players out for two weeks hurt your lineup shouldn't happen. To me it points to a fundamental problem with the team this year, lack of forward depth.

I really hope that management signs some cheap veteran forwards this summer, make any rookie who wants a spot in the lineup earn it in camp the old fashioned way, by beating a vet.
We have plenty of depth, as demonstrated by our continued high PK with Moreau out. We don't have top 6 depth though. Stoll, Hemsky and Smyth would be huge blows to any team.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:20 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I've said it all along, this is a terrible, terrible, terrible year to tank for a high draft pick. I was sitting behind two scouts (one of whom worked for the Kings) at the Canadian Juniors camp down at Father David Bauer and they were talking about the upcoming draft. One of them mentioned that they usually rate all the players on a scale to A+ and that most drafts typically at least had a few A to A+ players. This time around, they had difficulty even giving ONE player an A- rating.

I absolutely love the depth of this draft (we should be able to get quality players with both of our first rounders and our 2nd rounder as well) but the top end depth is really weak. The only guy that really intrigues me is Turris - he could be an offensive dynamo and his overall potential is somewhat up in the air at this point. This simply isn't a very good year to have a top 5 pick in contrast to previous drafts.
It isn't so much weak as there isn't a Crosby or Ovechkin. But the projected top 5-8 all have all-star potential, maybe not elite level(save Turris and Alzner imho), but all-star.

And there are good players to be found throughout the top 60. I wouldn't even be opposed to picking up some more 1st and 2nds in trades. This is a good year to have lots of high picks. It's just not a good year to have the top pick.

And I would like a top 5 pick at some point. Top 5 picks are always useful, no matter the year. And we haven't had one in soooo long.

Old
02-11-2007, 01:20 AM
grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
This might strike some people as really backwards logic but think about it for a second: Realistically, catching the Flames is going to be a very difficult task. Assuming Stuart makes them a better team (and I really think it will - Stuart-Regehr will be a far better top pairing than Regehr-Warrener), Calgary plays a lot of games against the teams we're chasing and they could have a better chance of winning those games. They play...

Colorado 6 more times
Minnesota 4 more times
Vancouver 1 more time

Who knows, maybe Calgary picking up Stuart will actually help us in an indirect way.
I agree

I expected the Flames to make the playoffs this year, it is one of the other teams the Oilers need to beat out to make it into the playoffs.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:23 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
It isn't so much weak as there isn't a Crosby or Ovechkin. But the projected top 5-8 all have all-star potential, maybe not elite level(save Turris and Alzner imho), but all-star.

And there are good players to be found throughout the top 60. I wouldn't even be opposed to picking up some more 1st and 2nds in trades. This is a good year to have lots of high picks. It's just not a good year to have the top pick.

And I would like a top 5 pick at some point. Top 5 picks are always useful, no matter the year. And we haven't had one in soooo long.
We have had only one top five pick in our entire history and we choose Jason Bonsignore, though we did get Smytty in the same draft.