HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Brooks: EDM looking at Paul Mara and others

Old
02-11-2007, 11:21 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

vCash: 500
Brooks: EDM looking at Paul Mara and others

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02112007...oks.htm?page=0
http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

-A well-placed source claims the NY Rangers inquired about Bruins defenseman Paul Mara and forward Brad Boyes, but no offers were extended. Calgary and Edmonton are believed aggressively pursuing Mara.
-- Carolina... "has been talking with Oilers about a deal that would send defensemen David Tanabe and Andrew Hutchinson out west."

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:33 AM
R-MAN83

I still think Pitkanen would be best fit I wonder what the cost would be though.

R-MAN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Beevatron2000

Send a message via AIM to Beevatron2000
Neither Carolina player sound particularly compelling.

Beevatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevatron2000 View Post
What we need isn't available.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02112007...oks.htm?page=0
http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

-A well-placed source claims the NY Rangers inquired about Bruins defenseman Paul Mara and forward Brad Boyes, but no offers were extended. Calgary and Edmonton are believed aggressively pursuing Mara.
-- Carolina... "has been talking with Oilers about a deal that would send defensemen David Tanabe and Andrew Hutchinson out west."
Those were all true we would be bringing in 3 new D. I assume at least 1 would have to be shipping out. Not sure any of those guys are an answer but they are puck mover types and Tanabe / Mara would be some experience for next season. Anyone know how long Tanabe and Hutchinson are signed for? I think Mara has at least a couple years left if I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
You say that like you know it is cold hard fact. I would love to see where you got that from, until I do I will assume there are some guys available.

If you are referring to Pitkanen, I have no proof but I am also assume he is not available, looking at the Flyers D going forward I cannot imagine how they can afford to lose him.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Those were all true we would be bringing in 3 new D. I assume at least 1 would have to be shipping out. Not sure any of those guys are an answer but they are puck mover types and Tanabe / Mara would be some experience for next season. Anyone know how long Tanabe and Hutchinson are signed for? I think Mara has at least a couple years left if I recall.

You say that like you know it is cold hard fact. I would love to see where you got that from, until I do I will assume there are some guys available.

If you are referring to Pitkanen, I have no proof but I am also assume he is not available, looking at the Flyers D going forward I cannot imagine how they can afford to lose him.
we need a #1 not a 2/3 3/4 guy.

no team is gonna trade a number 1 to us. and if they do, it would be a JT type trade, that just comes from nowhere, involving alot of alcohol and some compromising photos

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:49 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
Youre right... a time machine.

Eaton would have been a nice signing.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 12:53 PM
speeds

I think Brooks might have made an error there, and was actually referring to Stuart when he wrote Mara in the following sentence

Quote:
Calgary has joined Edmonton as the most aggressive pursuers of Mara, an impending free agent
because Stuart is the impending UFA while Mara is signed through next season.

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 01:59 PM
djmarcopolo

nope mara is the guy we have been after, ask yourself why klowe would give up anything to rent stuart if we are just trying to make the playoffs still? now if we were in calgary's position, then it makes sense to go after stuart and rent him.
with these trades coming up we gotta think that common sense is the reason why most of these proposals dont happen.
cheers

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:02 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Mara hasn't been a plus player since 2000-2001, and is -101 in his NHL career.

3G and -19 so far this year.

i've never seen him play before, so someone PLEASE tell me how this guy could make the oilers a better team.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:05 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Mara hasn't been a plus player since 2000-2001, and is -101 in his NHL career.

3G and -19 so far this year.

i've never seen him play before, so someone PLEASE tell me how this guy could make the oilers a better team.
he's a nice guy, lol. He's very offensively-minded but incredibly soft for a big man.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:09 PM
djmarcopolo

change of scenery to a team who has the forwards who can handle the puck, remember mara played for a weak phoenix squad.
cheers

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:31 PM
momentai

Quote:
Well, he's a better dman pp producer than anyone on the team not named Bergeron... That would help some. I believe he's around 4 ppp/hr. Does that number sound right?

momentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Cerebral

Mara would be a solid addition (you're correct Momentai, he is pretty effective on the powerplay for a defenceman) but I'm not sold he's a guy who could turn this ship around. If we add Mara, I feel we'd need to make a strong push for another top 4 defenceman like Boynton. Mara is pretty good on the powerplay but he's not all that reliable in his own end.

02-11-2007, 03:05 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
we need a #1 not a 2/3 3/4 guy.

no team is gonna trade a number 1 to us. and if they do, it would be a JT type trade, that just comes from nowhere, involving alot of alcohol and some compromising photos
No I don't think we need a #1, it'd be nice but not gonna happen.

What we need is veterans who can move the puck, clear the zone and contribute on the PP without panic and rookie mistakes.

2 of said players would improve this team immensely. A #1 would be great, but we need 2 top 4 guys more than anything.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Hemsky4PM

When you look at the free agent pool this summer I can't understand why the Oilers would trade away an asset to get Mara, VanRyn or any of those guys with years left on their deals. 3M for Mara is way too steep when you could get Markov or Rafalski for 4-4.5M this summer. If Lowe does do something I expect it to be pretty big, otherwise why bother?

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:15 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

can't see flames going after Mara

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:35 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
When you look at the free agent pool this summer I can't understand why the Oilers would trade away an asset to get Mara, VanRyn or any of those guys with years left on their deals. 3M for Mara is way too steep when you could get Markov or Rafalski for 4-4.5M this summer. If Lowe does do something I expect it to be pretty big, otherwise why bother?
With the way the market has been going for dmen, I think that 4-4.5M mark might be a little low.

momentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:56 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
That would be great, but when was the last time we signed a big name UFA?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
I doubt either of those guys even reach the Market, i think the premier D-man this summer will be Souray, Stuart and maybe Timonen, but thats it. Timonen will just get a wad of cash thrown at him from a team like Philly, and the other two aren't 'complete enough' to be #1 D-man IMO.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
rafalski will not come that cheap.... nor would i expect him to be leaving the devils this year, they arent in that bad of cap-shape actually next year and with the cap going up 2-3 million again, they should have room to sign him

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:48 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beevatron2000 View Post
Yeah. We could have signed Tanabe in the off-season (assuming Lowe didn't try and get rejected) after the B's walked away from his contract. I know I was hoping for it.

We didn't and I'm under the impression that he hasn't done anything to make letting him slip through our fingers a mistake, even though he's been given ample opportunity in Carolina.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:49 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
rafalski will not come that cheap....
It's all speculation, but I'd have to agree.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:00 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
i repeat... Mara is minus one hundred and one for his career. i know that +/- isn't always indicative of how a player plays defensively, but he's never been higher than +2 in an NHL season.

hearing that "he's a nice guy," "incredibly soft for a big man," and that he's "solid on the PP but not that good in his own end" makes him sound like someone we should stay the hell away from. we've got enough defensive black holes of suckass on this team already.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i repeat... Mara is minus one hundred and one for his career. i know that +/- isn't always indicative of how a player plays defensively, but he's never been higher than +2 in an NHL season.

hearing that "he's a nice guy," "incredibly soft for a big man," and that he's "solid on the PP but not that good in his own end" makes him sound like someone we should stay the hell away from. we've got enough defensive black holes of suckass on this team already.
Look at the records of all the teams he has played on. There are some other good NHL D men that have brutal +/- due to the teams. From what I see he is average to a little below average in the Defensive end and is actually really good on the PP. He is a upgrade on MAB, a rather large one. He would be a good fit, I woudln't give up a lot for him though. Realize Chara is -11 on the B's, Stuart was -23.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote