HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Proposal (EDITED): Raffi Torres to Buffalo for Dmitri Kalinin

Old
02-11-2007, 01:46 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Kalinin still only has 17 points on a high-flying Buffalo offense. He isn't the PP QB we need to get if we move Torres. Kalinin will likely neve be more then a 4/5 20-25 point 2-way d-man. And given that Torres will generally average those numbers in goals, this trade isn't equal.

I don't see Buffalo having a top pairing guy we can target. I personally would look elsewhere. You just don't have what we are looking for.

Nashville or SJ make much better trading partners for us, as they are contenders with good young D to spare for a temp upgrade for a cup run.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Kalinin still only has 17 points on a high-flying Buffalo offense. He isn't the PP QB we need to get if we move Torres. Kalinin will likely neve be more then a 4/5 20-25 point 2-way d-man. And given that Torres will generally average those numbers in goals, this trade isn't equal.

I don't see Buffalo having a top pairing guy we can target. I personally would look elsewhere. You just don't have what we are looking for.

Nashville or SJ make much better trading partners for us, as they are contenders with good young D to spare for a temp upgrade for a cup run.
17 points is not much, but at the same time, no Sabres defenseman is producing points right now - mainly due to a mediocre PP. Kalinin doesn't get much PP time at all, not necessarily because he's not capable but moreso because we've got Campbell, Spacek, Kotalik, Pominville, Numminen and recently Paetsch who share the duties on the point.

If a PP QB is what you are looking for, than unfortunately Kalinin probably isn't your guy. He's more of a well rounded 2 way defenseman who does everything well, but isn't exceptional in any aspect of the game.

Would you be more interested in Spacek and his 3M$+ pricetag? That would make things a bit more difficult because the Sabres really need Spacek to elevate his game and be a key piece in the playoffs.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:11 PM
stangconv

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
17 points is not much, but at the same time, no Sabres defenseman is producing points right now - mainly due to a mediocre PP. Kalinin doesn't get much PP time at all, not necessarily because he's not capable but moreso because we've got Campbell, Spacek, Kotalik, Pominville, Numminen and recently Paetsch who share the duties on the point.

If a PP QB is what you are looking for, than unfortunately Kalinin probably isn't your guy. He's more of a well rounded 2 way defenseman who does everything well, but isn't exceptional in any aspect of the game.

Would you be more interested in Spacek and his 3M$+ pricetag? That would make things a bit more difficult because the Sabres really need Spacek to elevate his game and be a key piece in the playoffs.
I would rather pass on Spacek. I want his biggest fan last year. I mean he could do an alright triple lutz when a player went wide on him, but I really really think we could do WAY better then him.

Dont we already have this in MAB?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utpp737cKwY

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
I would rather pass on Spacek. I want his biggest fan last year. I mean he could do an alright triple lutz when a player went wide on him, but I really really think we could do WAY better then him.
Well Spacek is out for a month anyway. I'm not his biggest fan either. He's our highest paid defenseman...

Old
02-11-2007, 02:16 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Well Spacek is out for a month anyway. I'm not his biggest fan either. He's our highest paid defenseman...
Playing with Pronger last year, covered up alot of his weaknesses.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:38 PM
chance

Biron, I wish.

chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Fan-of-#9

Well there seems to be no consensus whatsoever in terms of what Oilers fans are looking for.

Some say a defenseman. Some want top prospects. Some say Biron.

Old
02-11-2007, 02:53 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Well there seems to be no consensus whatsoever in terms of what Oilers fans are looking for.

Some say a defenseman. Some want top prospects. Some say Biron.

How about a top Dman prospect with the last name Biron? Got any in your ranks? LOL

I think Torres is too valuable right now to us for what little we would get for him right now

Old
02-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Why

Why is everyone so bent on dealing Torres? He brings an element of toughness to this lineup that the Oilers are sorely missing. Dealing this 25-year old Kid would simply make us a weaker team.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by U3O8 View Post
Why is everyone so bent on dealing Torres? He brings an element of toughness to this lineup that the Oilers are sorely missing. Dealing this 25-year old Kid would simply make us a weaker team.
We aren't, he is just a very valuable trade piece. And we need to get a number 1 D. Since his upside is below Hemsky, Smyth and Lupul, he gets caught in a numbers game.

But for us to move him, the return still has to be worth our while. He isn't "on the block", he just might be available to the highest bidder. We are in no rush to move Torres.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Bryan Campbell is the guy i want from Buffalo, #1 or at worst a #2 IMO. plays 22 min a night and signed for 2 more years at a reasonable rate. Defensively good, Offensively solid. Lays out big hits from time to time and has great foot speed. I doubt Buffalo trade him though, him and Tallinder are the most valuable pieces in their Defencesive system.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote