HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Renney lost faith in Weekes?

Old
02-11-2007, 04:20 PM
DontStaal

vCash: 500
i think it's just that Renney has gained faith in Lundqvist

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:25 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
doesn't like changing things up. Lundqvist has been playing very well, and with the All Star Break rest, had gotten some ample rest. The problem is, Lundvist can easily tire, and in that tired game, the Rangers may lose as a result, and when Weekes comes in the next game, you may see the same thing. Weekes probably should've been sent to HFD for a tune-up game or two (on a conditioning stint), and in the process, he'd be warmed-up for the next game and we don't have to see a tied Lundqvist in one game and a cold Weekes in the next game.
I like that idea, hopefully Renney does too.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 04:48 PM
SML

Fletch, I think you're right, Weekes skillwise can and should be in the league next year. I just think that value wise, he doesn't work anymore. I really don't see him as a 32 year old veteran, signing a contract worht less than what an entry level guy is going to get, and I don't think he's skillwise going to that far above what most teams can field as a rookie goalie or a backup veteran. He's like the Ken Sutton of goalies, The guy can probably play, but is always close to the lower echelon of players at his position. What team is going to open the wallet for him? Who realistically either doesn't have an established #1, or a hot young prospect waiting to get #1 minutes?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Fletch

Weekes has a couple options...

he needs to accept the fact that he's going to have to prove himself in this league again, likely having lost a little something as a result of limited playing time over the last couple seasons. He can either retire, go to the AHL, go to Europe, or sign a one year contract with a team who has a young goalie to be a backup for $800k-$1MM and hope that he can get his share of starts so he can stay in the NHL.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:16 PM
eco's bones

Weekes was signed originally just to give us some respectable goaltending during a period of transition. Then last year happened--unexpected success with Henrik pretty much taking away the top job from him. Now we're fighting for our lives and Kevin is running out of a future with us anyway--there's no point in playing him now except in an emergency. He's nowhere near as good as Henrik and in a close game that goes into overtime I'd feel much more comfortable about our chances of getting the extra point in a shootout with Lunqvist in the net. Kevin has been a good locker room guy and sometimes he's even played well but he's inconsistent and definitely not worth the 2 million we're giving him. He's a player that I would look to move before the deadline and if that were to happen moving Montoya up as our backup. He has a future.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
No....

he'll go next Sunday vs Chicago
Yeah Weekes should start one of those two afternoon back to backs.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Leprechaun

I think it's best to keep riding Lundqvist until he needs a break and I think that Renny is taking the same approach.

I don't think that Renny has lost faith in Weekes as much as he's trying to do what will get the best play out of Henrik.

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote