HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your favorite team and where you live...

Old
02-11-2007, 11:11 PM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Your favorite team and where you live...

The idea behind this thread is sort of explorative. If you will, answer those questions that pertain to you.

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?

- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV?

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?

I hope it's not too much trouble to answer all the questions that pertain to you, but if so then just answer the ones that you feel like answering.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 02-12-2007 at 12:22 AM.
MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?
Watch. Every game that I can possibly tune into, I watch, Sabres or no Sabres. There isn't anything that's better than playoff hockey, regardless of the combatants.

Quote:
- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?
I live right outside NYC, so I'm in a heavy Ranger-populated area. Devs and Isles are secondary, but for me it's the Sabres. Dad was born and raised in Buffalo.

Quote:
- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?
I ususally find myself having a 'flavor of the playoffs' type team. I like watching/rooting for the underdogs, and teams with strong defense. Fast paced teams are obviously fun to watch as well.

Quote:
- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?
Never want to see a team from my division go on and win, and I have particular hatred for the Stars, Flyers, and Hurricanes. Not the fan bases, just the teams.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:20 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?.

I won't go out of my way to watch it if my team is eliminated though I will watch the finals.

Quote:
- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?.
I live in Anchorage, Alaska and my team is the New Jersey Devils

Quote:
- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice?.
I've only been to 3 games two in Dallas during the stanley cup finals and once in San Jose

Quote:
- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?.
No unless there is somebody I know on the other team.

Quote:
- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?.

Not really the only time I did that was against Carolina but I didn't watch them I just wanted them to lose.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:24 PM
RightKinger

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs? I usually read up on the prospects for the upcoming draft and I try look at the UFAs that my team might be interested in for the offseason.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for? I usually root for Eastern Conference teams or cinderella teams like the Oilers last season.

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they? I root against all Pacific division teams in the playoffs.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:26 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
1) I still watch the games if there is a team I'm interested in. And even if I don't watch, I keep track of it. There is always a sheet on my fridge with the matchups on it, and I keep track of who wins and who gets tossed, all the way to the end. Of course, it's more fun when my Wings are in it.

2) I live three hours from Detroit, but it's like living in another country sometimes. No matter where I travel though, my roots are here and so is my team. I've worn Red Wings shirts from San Francisco to the Outer Banks and inevitably someone somewhere will smile when they see it.

3) I find myself cheering for whoever is playing the team that knocked my guys out. Revenge factor, you understand.

4) I would root against Nashville, Carolina and the Rangers for certain. The rest are on kind of an individual case basis.

kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:28 PM
TheSabre

vCash:
Quote:
What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?
I still watch because I like the sport.

Quote:
Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?
I live in western New York and I'm a Sabres fan.

Quote:
Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice?
I've seen maybe 15 Sabres games.

Quote:
If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?
I usually root for underdogs (ex: CBJ vs ANA - I'd pick CBJ).

Quote:
Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?
I root against my hated teams all the time. That'd be TOR, PHI, and BOS.

At least I don't have to worry about the Flyers this year . .

Old
02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Slink

Quote:
What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?
I watch whatever games are on TV at the time or I go play shinny.

Quote:
Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?
I live about an hour drive north of the ACC so I am in Leafs territory.

Quote:
Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice?
I have been to a few games in the past few years but it is very difficult for me to get tickets.

Quote:
If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?
Everyone I know who are "Leaf fans" cheer for the other Canadian teams. I personally despise the fan bases of the western teams so you will never see me cheer for Calgary, Edmonton and to a lesser extent the Canucks. I respect Ottawa and Montreal fans but I hate the teams so I don't cheer for them either. You would also never see me cheering for Philly, Boston, Detroit, Buffalo, NYI, Atlanta and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of teams. Teams that I will cheer for are either playing one of my hated teams listed above or in a non traditional hockey market like Florida, Nashville, Arizona, Texas, California. I'd also cheer for Minnesota or Dallas. My favourite Western Conference team is St Louis so if the Leafs and Blues ever make the playoffs again I'd cheer for a Blues/Leafs finals.

Slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Captain Marleau

Quote:
I catch a game or two, but don't follow as closely. I do watch all of the Stanley Cup Finals though.

I guess this doesn't apply to me since I live in San Jose and about 5 minutes from the Shark Tank.

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice?
Doesn't apply to me.

Meh, I don't really root for any other team. I guess I root for any team that is against a California team that isn't the Sharks.

Not as much, I did root for Edmonton last year in the Conference Finals when they faced Anaheim.

Captain Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:32 PM
nckd

I always have some sort of rooting interest based on my favorite players. Not the same thing as rooting for your favorite team, but I'll watch hockey regardless of what teams are playing.

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice?

I grew up there, and I've seen plenty of games, but I'm now pretty far away. Which probably means I'll get the Rangers game on NBC next week instead of seeing my Pens play Washington.

See above -- usually a different team every year, though. I picked Tampa Bay in 2004, but usually I don't guess right. I should be able to root for Pgh this year, finally. But I think this is Buffalo's year. I think the Penguins are a little too inexperienced yet, but they're getting close.

Absolutely. Rangers, Flyers, Devils. The usual Patrick division set. Carolina, for some reason.

nckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
I try to watch the games but I lose a lot of interest.

Quote:
I live in Westchester NY and Upstate NY and my favorite team is the NJ devils.

Quote:
Have been to about 4 or 5 Devils games.

Quote:
Not really.

[/quote]- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?[/QUOTE]

Probably. If the Rangers ever advance further than the Devils I'd be pulling pretty hard against them.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:39 PM
SERE 24
LGR

1) I'm more of a fan of individual players throughout the league, so when my favorite team ends up getting eliminated I watch just as intently. I've been hockey-crazed since I was three years old - I'll watch any game.

2) Right now my favorite team is probably Detroit or Buffalo and I live in Southern New York.

3) I've only ever been to home games for the Islanders, Rangers and Devils, none of which will ever likely be favorites. I buy tickets to see my favorite teams play those teams whenever possible, but I've never seen my favorite team on their home ice.

4) If my favorite team is eliminated from the playoffs I root for whichever remaining team has the players I like most. I have a favorite or two on almost every team in the league, so whoever I like best I'll root for. There are a couple of teams I'll never root for though.

5) Well, since I still watch very intently, and adopt a new team to cheer for, I definitely cheer against the teams I don't like, which include NYI, CAR, FLA, DAL

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Edler Statesman*

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs? I start rooting for other teams. I was cheering for Buffalo in the last playoffs.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for? Vancouver fan. I root for Buffalo after the Canucks, then the Canadian teams other than Calgary and Toronto, and then the American teams, and then Calgary and Toronto.

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they? Yeah. Also I always root against the team that eliminated my team

Edler Statesman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:44 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
I've had good practice with this one, as my Panthers haven't sniffed the playoffs since they were swept by NJ in the 1st round of 2000. I'll still watch the playoffs...can't let this be a roadblock to watching great hockey.

Quote:
I used to live in Florida, but recently moved to Western North Carolina this summer.

Quote:
I've gotten to see them play live when I was living in South Florida.

Quote:
Hell yes, I do...haven't got much choice given the ineptitude of the Panther organization. And there have been so many years, you could pick about half the league and chances are I've rooted for 'em.

Quote:
Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?
Only if the Lightning are still in it.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:45 PM
crazycanuck

I watch the games, I am a big fan of the game, and will watch games even if the Canucks are playing.

I live in Calgary so being a Canucks fan, I take my lumps, but I still have my fun at the expense of the Flamer fans.

I have been lucky enough to see the Canucks play on home ice, but it was back in the early 90's when I was a kid, and in the the old Pacific Colliseum. But one game I did get to sit first row, and there was a huge hit right in front of me (which was where I pinpoint my love of the game starting).

I usually cheer lightly for various teams for various reasons. Living in Calgary, I get exposed to a lot of the Flames, so as much as I despise them when the Canucks are still alive, if the Canucks are eliminated, I guess I cheer for the Flames, hoping for a repeat of the red mile from their last cup run

I do enjoy cheering against the Leafs, just because, well, they are the Leafs. Other than that, there isn't really a team that I truely hate and won't cheer for.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:46 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19

-If my team is out of the playoffs (which is generally a foregone conclusion before the season starts, at least it was for way too long), I generally just watch whatever games are on and hope for the most entertaining, passionate game possible. I used to love watching the Detroit-Avs playoff series when Roy was in net, and St. Louis had a few good series too.

- I live in NY, though right now I'm in Syracuse for school so it's more of Buffalo territory than Rangers territory.

-I've seen a decent amount of games, but definately nothing crazy. I've been to two this year, one in MSG against the Isles, and one in Ottawa, which was awesome. I might go to a game in Nashville since I'll probably be heading down there for some business.

-Generally I just root for the Canadian teams out of tradition. I also root for Minnesota just because of the whole northern thing. Mainly, I just root for good entertaining hockey. IMO hockey is the only sport where if your team is eliminated, you can still watch a playoff game and really enjoy it. In baseball if your teams out, you're screwed, same with basketball and football. Hockey is just way more entertaining.

-I really hate the Devils because they always beat us, root against the Flyers, and the Hurricanes, just because a friend of mine is a huge Whalers fan to this day, and he got my on the "save the Whale, hate the Canes" bandwaggon. Amazingly, I don't root against the Islanders, and usually root FOR them. Crazy I know, but my mom was an Isles fan, so I can't hate them that much,

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:47 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 293
Stars fan, I don't get alot of chances to watch on TV, so I do whenever I can. Also root for Oil and for Ottawa, especially come playoff time. Actively root against / curse the name of / cast spells against Detroit, Colorado, Anaheim, San Jose, Montreal, Phoenix and Carolina.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Playa Hamm*

Quote:
1. What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?

2. Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?

3. Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice?

4. If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?

5. Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?

1. I still watch.

2. I live in Vancouver but have always been a die-hard Kings fan.

3. I've been to Staples Centre multiple times to see the Kings play.

4. If my favorite team has been eliminated, I will usually cheer for the underdogs or cheer against my rivals.

5. There's nothing better than cheering for my team but if my team is gone then I love to cheer against Vancouver, Anaheim & Toronto.

Playa Hamm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Flicktron

Quote:
Root for my favourite teams that are left, and if none are left. I'll just enjoy the game of hockey as a unbiased fan.

Quote:
I used to live near Toronto and my favourite are the Penguins, and now I live near San Jose, and I still love my Penguins.

Quote:
I haven't. I'm still planning on travelling to Pittsburgh for a game.

Quote:
Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, San Jose, Detroit and Minnesota.

Quote:
Washington, Toronto, Philadelphia, Dallas, Colorado, Tampa Bay, and Atlanta.

Flicktron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:01 AM
gerhart

Send a message via MSN to gerhart
Quote:
The idea behind this thread is sort of explorative. If you will, answer those questions that pertain to you.
Quote:
I hope for competitive games and teams that I enjoy watching play win.

Quote:
Me.

Quote:
Me. Los Angeles is far from Ottawa. I saw the Kings play last year in Toronto though... I was going to school in Kitchener at the time.

Quote:
Boston Bruins (dad's favourite team)
Chicago Blackhawks (mom's favourite team)
...so, basically I've had nothing to root for recently.

Quote:
Yes.
Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Ottawa Senators, Anaheim Ducks.

gerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Air

After crying my heart out, I revert back to just being a hockey fan and enjoy the rest of the playoffs. I usually need a round to recuperate.

I live in Toronto. I am an Ottawa Senators fan.

This is true for me. A pilgrimmage to Ottawa to see the Sens is in the works. I can't bear to spend the playoffs in Toronto.

No. Absolutely not.

Toronto Maple Leafs. Their pathos makes me happy.

Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:15 AM
KeydGV21

Quote:
I don’t do anything special if my team (Sabres) gets knocked out; I’ll usually pick a bandwagon or two to ride though. Usually that ends up being one of the Western Canadian team, preferably Edmonton.

I will admit though that I no longer take time off from work (damn college jobs) to watch the games like I will when the Sabres are playing. TIVO yes, but the need to watch the game live is lost.

Quote:

Season ticket holder, live an hour away. Can't help with what your looking for here.

Quote:
Like mentioned above I ride a bandwagon of a Western Canadian team.

Quote:
Yes, of course. I develop such a hate during the postseason that the mere sight of the opposing jersey that beat us forces me to root for whoever they are playing.

Quote:
I hope it's not too much trouble to answer all the questions that pertain to you, but if so then just answer the ones that you feel like answering.

I’m sort of curious as to what your trying to get at here. Knowing you I’m sure there’s a reason for this. I mean that in a good way of course, I am answering after all.

KeydGV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:20 AM
The Dopefish

Quote:
I usually don't.

Quote:
I live in Portsmouth, NH and root for the Penguins.

Quote:
I was going to next Sunday but I had to sell my tickets.

Quote:
If, say, the Penguins were not in the playoffs but the Bruins were, I'd root for them.

Quote:
Again, if the Penguins lost in the playoffs I'd root against the team that beat them.

The Dopefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 05:46 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Okay, Lesse

I love the Wings and Caps, yet live in Canada.

Because of this, I have not been able to see that many Wings of Caps games live.

Should those two teams not be playing in the playoffs, theres always some other series I will watch.I definatly have some other teams I like better than others, and will cheer for those teams.

I will definatly root against the more hated of two teams in a playoff series.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Canucks19*

Quote:

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV?

1. Cry, and then watch other teams in the playoffs, and then cry some more...
2. Steve Nash
3. Yes, and i have been to a lot of games
4. Pittsburgh
5. Calgary, and Minnesota

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 06:17 AM
The_Hockey_Guy18

Quote:

1. I watch all the playoff games on TV, no matter who's playing.
2. My team is the Avs, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any relatives living in the US. I'm from Nova Scotia.
3. I haven't gotten the chance to see the Avalanche live, but I watch them whenever they are on TV here.
4. Well, the last few years I've rooted for the Canadian teams, but since Tanguay ended up in Calgary , I guess I'm hoping they do well. Also, I gotta hope for the Pens, since Sidney grew up not far from where I live now.
5. Yes. I hate the Wings with a passion. Here's hoping another early exit for them.

The_Hockey_Guy18 is offline   Reply With Quote