HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your favorite team and where you live...

Old
02-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Canucks19*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Hockey_Guy18 View Post
1. I watch all the playoff games on TV, no matter who's playing.
2. My team is the Avs, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any relatives living in the US. I'm from Nova Scotia.
3. I haven't gotten the chance to see the Avalanche live, but I watch them whenever they are on TV here.
4. Well, the last few years I've rooted for the Canadian teams, but since Tanguay ended up in Calgary , I guess I'm hoping they do well. Also, I gotta hope for the Pens, since Sidney grew up not far from where I live now.
5. Yes. I hate the Wings with a passion. Here's hoping another early exit for them.
The avs wont even have an entry....

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:02 AM
The_Hockey_Guy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks19 View Post
The avs wont even have an entry....
Ha. I can dream, can't I?

The_Hockey_Guy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:07 AM
HNJB*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
The idea behind this thread is sort of explorative. If you will, answer those questions that pertain to you.

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?

- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV?

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?

I hope it's not too much trouble to answer all the questions that pertain to you, but if so then just answer the ones that you feel like answering.
-I watch every single playoff game I can, sabres, or not

-I live in Calgary, so its all flames all the time here.

-I usually root for the wild if they are still in it, or the underdog, or the flames

-I still root for team x if team x is playing philly or toronto

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Mr. Penguin

Quote:
The idea behind this thread is sort of explorative. If you will, answer those questions that pertain to you.

1. What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?

2. Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV?

3. If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?

4. Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?
First of all, I live in Finland and I am Penguins fan... have been for over 10 years now.

1. I watch every playoff game anyway, so even if Pens get eliminated, I still enjoy the greatest event in sports: the Stanbley Cup Playoffs.

2. I've never had the chance to travel to America to see any NHL game live, but my dream is to go to a Pens game some day. Oh and I watch lots of Pens games on TV, thanks to NASN and its great NHL schedule.

3. If Pens get eliminated, I root for my 2nd favorite team which is the St. Louis Blues. And of course I'd love to see the best country on earth (Canada) winning the cup some day so I root for all the Canadian teams as well.

4. I will puke my guts out if any of these teams advance to the second round: Wings, Devils and Canes.

Mr. Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Syrinx
Heh...

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs? I'm a penguin fan, so this has been especially appropriate for me lately. Even without the pens in it, there is nothing better than playoff hockey.

- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team? I live in Raleigh, NC. Center Ice is the best money I've ever spent (for the last 7 years).

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV? I have never seen this version of the pens play on home ice but saw the older versions. In the last 9 years, I've seen the Penguins nearly every time they're in Raleigh.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for? I've started pulling for the canes when the pens aren't involved.

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they? I've always rooted against the flyers, and now the habs.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Phousse

Quote:
- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?
Usually I'll catch a few games here and there but I'm not quite as interested if there aren't any of my top teams in it.

Quote:
- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?
I live in Toronto (Ontario) and my favourite team is the Montreal Canadiens (Quebec) and my other top teams are the Minnesota Wild (Minnesota) Chicago Blackhawks (Illinois) and the New York Islanders (New York).

Quote:
- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV?
I have only seen them visiting at the HSBC arena in Buffalo. The only chances I get to see them play on TV is if they're are CBC and TSN. Someday I'll get RDS and/or Centre Ice.

Quote:
- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?
As mentioned before, I won't be as interested if none of my teams are in it, but I'll still root for (a) certain team(s). For example, last year every team I rooted for lost. Montreal in the first round, San Jose in the second, Anaheim in the third, and Edmonton in the fourth. As you can tell, I don't like Edmonton but I'm not too keen on Carolina either.

Quote:
- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?
Yeah, I still root against them to a degree. The one I most root against is Toronto since I really have no ability to like this city or anything in it. My hatred for Toronto never started by being a Habs fan. It was much more than that. Just a coincedence.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
That depends on whether or not my two second favorites make it. It looks like the Red Wings will make it this year, though...

If even my second favorite teams didn't make it, I don't enjoy hockey in any meaning of the word. Sometimes I switch sports, depending on what's available. Other times I just do something else. Like play something myself. Usually soccer.

Quote:
Me. There's the whole Atlantic Ocean and some other crap (like Sweden) between me and my favorite team...

Quote:
I have never seen a home or an away game of my favorite team live (it is one of my goals to do it someday...), but I'm able to occasionally see their games on TV (not a lot, hopefully more in the playoffs again...).

Quote:
Yes. My second favorite teams always depend on who is playing in them. Like this year my two second favorites would be the Kings and the Blackhawks, but neither of them are going to make the playoffs, so if the Red Wings get eliminated, I will just support any team with Finns on it, and possibly the Penguins for all the young talent.

Quote:
I don't know if I'll root against them, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Colorado, Tampa, Carolina, San Jose, New Jersey, Rangers, and the Islanders out of the race early (or not even make it in the playoffs). Nothing against Canadians, I just don't like any of the Canadian teams. Don't ask me why.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Juni

Quote:
Enjoying hockey isn't limited to my own team.

Quote:
I live some 3600 miles from Buffalo.

Quote:
Never been to the US, let alone a Sabres game. Unfortunately, I'm desperate to do so. With TV coverage in the UK it's one subscription channel (some 15 (so $30) a month) and they show pretty much every team. With Buffalo doing well I've seen a load of their games this season. Last season I got less than ten regular season Sabres games.

Quote:
Not particularly, depends if they've directly affected my team.

Quote:
See last one.

Juni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:22 AM
cherry

San Jose Sharks fan here in West Virginia. Columbus is my #2 team - only 3-1/2 hrs away (and the closest team to me, beating Pittsburgh by about 1/2 to 1 hr).

cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 05:39 PM
joolzie

I don't want to make dinner. :(

Quote:
I usually have to have some kind of feeling about the teams or players still involved in order to keep watching intently. Otherwise I'll still have the games on, but I won't pay as much attention as I'd intellectually like to. It's not usually much of a problem because I like lots of players around the league.

Quote:
The two teams I currently watch the most are Toronto and Chicago; I live in Michigan.

Quote:
I've been to a lot of Wings games over the years and a couple in other cities. Going to Chicago to see their home opener this year was the first time I was genuinely rooting for the home team because I actually liked them, and it was a pretty amazing experience, haha. I see all Leafs games on TV (never been to a game in Toronto), and all Hawks games that are televised.

Quote:
I usually find myself rooting more against a particular outcome than for one. I'm not going to name what teams I'd be apt to root against because I'm superstitious. :P Actively rooting for another team would require a certain set of circumstances or high concentration of players I really like.

joolzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?I watch ever single game I can. I'm a hockey fan first.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?Last season I rooted for the Sabres to make it to the SCF's,this season I have no idea who I will root for if the Rangers dont get in/eliminiated

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?There arent many team's who I hate, I guess if the Devils or Islanders made it farther than the Rangers I would root against them. I dont know what I would do if they ended up playing each other though lol

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
The avs are my favourite team and I live in Edmonton. I also will be cherring for the team that gets Forsberg and since the avs wont be in the playoffs theres no conflicts.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:

It's pretty hard to truly "enjoy" it to be honest. I can get a certain level of enjoyment watching an entertaining hockey game, but I need an emotional response to truly get into it. I have to try and switch my mind off, and ignore the jerseys the players wear to really get into it. But I do like watching hockey for the sake of it regardless of who is playing.

Quote:
I live in Ottawa. I'm a Sens fan. I will be to the day I die! I've lived in Ottawa the entire time I've been in Canada, and seeing as the team was already here when I arrived, it was only natural that they would become my team.

Quote:
I can see SBP from my bedroom window if I try hard enough! So it is no issue!

Quote:
There are some teams I would prefer to see win over others. I'm likely to root for teams that are underdogs, or that has a player that I like. Or a team that reminds me of the Sens. I've tried to get behind another particular team once the Sens were eliminated, but I just couldn't do it. I have a monogamous relationship with the Senators, even if I do like other teams.

Quote:
There are teams that I just don't want to see win no matter what. Leafs, Habs...actually other Canadian teams in general. I have this thing about no other Canadian team winning the cup before the Sens do, even if I like Vancouver and Edmonton. Also, teams that have won recently. If another team has to win the cup, at least make it unique (as long as it's not a team that I specifically don't want to win).

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
If my Nucks are out I root for my Habs.

If they are out, then I probably just root for a team that has players that I like, or underdog teams, who I just want to see them win.

Quote:
I live in Dawson Creek, BC, which is about 30km from the Alberta border, so I'm just within Canuck territory.

Quote:
I've watched games in Calgary, but I haven't in Vancouver, becasue it's much too far to drive in the wintertime, and our local aiport sucks. So, no I haven't watched any games at GM place.

Quote:
See #1

Quote:
Oh yeah, I still hate the Leafs and Flames, but if they do happen to win the cup, (even though they never again will ) I'll be happy for their fans, as long as the general comments aren't "WE WON THE CUP!!!!11111!!", halfway through the following season.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 06:55 PM
raikk

Send a message via MSN to raikk
Quote:

I hope it's not too much trouble to answer all the questions that pertain to you, but if so then just answer the ones that you feel like answering.
1)I cheer for another team (last year Oilers.)

2)I do I do! I live in Vancouver but my fav team is Toronto.. because well I was born Torontonian..

4)Oilers,Atlanta

5)I would route against the Habs and Nucks

raikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs? I watch the rest of the playoffs. I don't care who's playing, I just love to watch. I also play here in San Jose and the summer league usually starts around the play offs, so I get my fix.

- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team? I live 5 minutes away from the Shark Tank.

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV? I have season tickets, and have seen about 95% of their home games this season.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for? It depends on who's playing and what round. I don't like to subsribe to the stupid nationalism mentality of only rooting Canadian/American. I think thats freaking lame. I will NEVER root for Anaheim, LA, or the Stars though.

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they? Yes, and same teams above apply.

GO

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:03 PM
HarborYardSec109

Interesting topic....

I still watch the playoffs as they go on (simply put, the Stanley Cup Playoffs & Finals are by far the best postseason of them all, IMO). I also try to keep tabs on the Calder Cup Playoffs as well if there's a team left standing that I like...if not, well, I start paying a bit more attention to baseball

I live in Western Connecticut (right smack inbetween Danbury & Waterbury on I-84)...Grew up a Whalers fan, but always kinda followed the Rangers & Kings b/c they had the affiliation with the New Haven Nighthawks in the AHL back in the 80s. Getting to a Rangers game isn't a problem for me (about 90 min. from where I live to MSG)...Kings? Yeah, that's a bit of a stretch

With the Rangers, I haven't been to a game since the lockout, but I do get MSG on my local cable (along with FSNY, so I can keep tabs on the Isles and the Swamp Denziens). LA's a bit tougher, so I try to watch whenever they appear on VS, or just listen to the games on the web.

It really changes...most of the time, I find myself pulling for a favorite player of mine that's never gotten his name on the Cup to do that (except last year's finals...it was tough when the Canes had Brind'Amour & Weight on one side, and the Oilers had Pronger & Raffi Torres (who I started following when he was with Bridgeport)...). If a team I despise is in the Finals (Devils, Habs, Bruins), I usually end up rooting for their opponent...

Yep...I always find myself rooting for the Devils, Habs, or Bruins to fall short...Isles I don't mind (which is odd for a Ranger fan, but I do follow their AHL team, so it's kinda tempered a bit), and I amazingly have no issues with the Flyers (went to school in Flyers country, so they kinda grew on me a bit...not my favorite team, but I don't mind em).

HarborYardSec109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
LamborGREENie

Montreal Canadiens

1. If watch the Playoffs no matter, even though it is sad, if my Canadiens are or aren't there.
2. I am fortunate to live right near my Team's Headquarters.
3. I am lucky enough to go to at least 3 Habs games every year.
4. For some odd reason, I would root for the Team that eliminated my Habs.
5. No I don't, I usually root for Them because I deduce if they beat my team they are better and I give them a shot...

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:24 AM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:

My favorite team--New York Islanders
I live in southeast Georgia, but just moved here 3 years ago from Long Island NY

I love hockey, so if my team isn't in the playoffs I still watch, playoff hockey is the best!

I no longer live in NY, so I have Center Ice, and go to games in Atlanta and Tampa to see the Isles.

Used to go to Isles games all the time when I lived on Long Island, I was 20 minutes away

I usually root for teams from the west.

I really don't care what the team I hate does in the playoffs, just would rather it was the Isles and not the Rangers. But I really don't even hate them all that much.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:

Nothing special, just grab some beer and watch

Close enough but I'm about 30 miles north from the outskirts of Flyer country

Low seeds, individual players I like

Sure, Rangers, Toronto, Devils, Buffalo

None at all

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:05 AM
8BostonRocker24

I love The NHL playoffs. Toronto vs. Philly a few years ago is as good as it gets. I love the physical play, and I route for Toronto not to win a cup.

I live in Boston, and I am a die-hard Bruins fan.

I used to go to 20+ Bruins home games. I have not been to a game this year, but I have been to four Sharks home games, and two Rangers games at MSG. I also have tickets for Van at SJ in the first few weeks in March.

I route for players. I'm a huge Eric Staal fan. I also route for the East, unless it's Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo or Montreal.

See above. I am not a fan of the Northeast minus Boston of course.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:53 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

vCash: 50
Quote:

I go golfing. I used to watch all the games I could but now when the Canucks aren't playing I don't watch and I don't care. The playoffs being in April, May, June doesn't help. Who wants to sit in front of the boob tube when the weather is...well not wet, cold and it aint dark at game time.

Quote:
Grew up in the Vancouver area but I now live on the island. So I have seen lots of the Canucks, good and bad... and there were some really bad teams.

Quote:

Last game I went to really turned me off of going to another. Pay big bucks so that you can be force fed as much or more advertising as there is on TV.... Bleach $7 warm beer, $6 hot dogs and $10 for parking... They have you by the short and curlies and all that to see the Minnesota Wild trap the game away.

Quote:

Nope. Once the Canucks are done so is my interest in the NHL for the year. Again the weather at that time is too nice to sit and watch two teams I don't care about.

Quote:

All of them. Seriously I'm a Canucks fan and I find it hard to cheer or care whether another team wins or not.

Quote:

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Pyackog

Quote:

If my team, the Islanders don't make the playoffs I tend to root for Buffalo because every other hockey fan in my family are Sabres fans and being that I live in the Atlanta area and go to lots of Thrashers games, at least this year I'd probably follow them if the other two were gone. Barring them, I simply just like watching good hockey games.

Quote:
Like I mentioned above, I'm born and raised on Long Island and root for the Isles but live in the Atlanta area now.

Quote:
I see the Isles generally when they play the Thrashers and I also have Center Ice and watch virtually every game.

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
Yep. Islander fan so by rule, I have to hate the Rangers and wish severe pain on them at all times.

Pyackog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
blackrock

Quote:

I'm a Sabres fan and I almost always watch as many playoff games as I can after the Sabres are out. Last year, when the Sabres lost Game 7 of the ECF I was too devastated to watch the first Stanley Cup game, but I watched the rest.

I'm living in Denver, but I was born and raised in Buffalo. Last year I was living in Connecticut and Denver is a big step uop hockey-wise. Connecticut is split between Rangers and Bruins fans for the most part, but it's not really a hockey area since the Whalers left. Denver has some pretty good fans and at least hockey is on the front page of the sports section.

I saw a decent number of games when I lived in Buffalo, but I won't get to see any this year. This is the first year I got NHL Center Ice and it is the best money I've ever spent. Not only do I get to see every Sabres game, but being able to watch other teams again is fantastic. When I was in Connecticut I listened to the local radio broadcast over the internet - that feels like the stone ages now.

I usually pick a team that I like and root for them. Last year it was Edmonton. Now that I'm in Denver I would root for the Avs - but they're playoff chances are rapidly dimming. My general rule is to root for the team that's further north, except I never root for teams in the Northeast division.

Yeah, I will always root against Toronto, Ottowa, and the Bruins. I'll never root for Montreal, but I don't dislike them as much as the other three. I also usually root against the team that knocked the Sabres out, and most southern teams.

blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:39 PM
MoreOrr
B4

I suppose it's time I give my answers.

After a brief hiatus of about a year or two at the end of the 70s when I couldn't stand to see my Bruins lose again in the Playoffs, especially to the Canadiens, I became a fan of hockey in general. When I was a teenager I didn't fully accept that Playoff games could be really great to watch regardless of whether the Bruins are playing or not.

I've lived in Nova Scotia, Vancouver, and now Mexico (at least those are the places I've lived during hockey season), so I've never lived near to Boston.

Following from the last answer, I've never had a chance to see the Bruins on home-ice, though I have seen them a few times when they came to town to play the Canucks. As for seeing the Bruins on TV, that also as often been a rare occasion because in the places where I have lived Bruins' games were not commonly shown on TV. It really angered me when I couldn't see Bruins' Playoff games, but luckily that was rare. Now living here in Mexico, without ESPN carrying any games, I don't get to see anything.

Since the 70s, definitely I do. I kind of decided on a list of about 10 teams/cities (1/3 of the League) that I will root for to varying degrees; it makes for the games to be much more interesting when I'm rooting for or against teams. There are sometimes when a team just draws me in or makes me want to root against them, or sometimes it has to do with specific players on a team. But in general, after the Bruins, I would root for Vancouver, St. Louis, Carolina, San Jose, Atlanta, Buffalo, Calgary, Islanders, and Ottawa.

Of course! For me, rooting against a team is just about as strong a motivating interest as rooting for a team. And I have a list of about 10 teams/cities that I will root against to varying degrees. In general, after the Canadiens, for which I've wished every bad thing imaginable, there is Edmonton, the Rangers, Tampa Bay, Florida, Anaheim, Dallas, Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Toronto.

I think that because I never had the opportunity to fully follow the Bruins is really why I became accustomed to seeing almost all the teams and have them all be able to play against each other in the season.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote