HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your favorite team and where you live...

Old
02-13-2007, 12:48 PM
ALEX THE 8*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
The idea behind this thread is sort of explorative. If you will, answer those questions that pertain to you.

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?Yes for the love of the game

Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?I am in upstate NY, and have followed the Caps for 28 yrs.Thank god for Center ice

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV?I make a trip once a yr. to DC, and see them live twice a yr. in Buffalo.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?I root for the teams that I hate to lose.

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?
I hate Buffalo, NJ, Philly, TB. I GUESS i DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE fLYERS THIS YR.

I hope it's not too much trouble to answer all the questions that pertain to you, but if so then just answer the ones that you feel like answering.

ALEX THE 8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:00 PM
nadroeg

Quote:
- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?
I can watch the other teams play without the pressure of contantly worrying about winning, how my team is looking, etc. I can just sit back, relax, and watch two teams play playoff hockey.

Quote:
- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?
I live in the same state.

Quote:
- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV?
I only get to go to 1 or 2 games every season. I live 3-4 hours away, so it is a lot of money to buy the tickets, gas/food, and also hotel unless I want to drive home that night. I see every game on TV, either on FSN or Center Ice.

Quote:
- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?
Yes. I have a few other "favorite" teams. I'm not as passionate about them, but last year I rooted for Buffalo and Edmonton once my team was eliminated. And, most of the time, I find myself cheering for the underdogs.

Quote:
- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they?
Yes. I will always root against the Wings and Blues. And I root against the team that eliminated my team.

nadroeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Devil Dancer

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs?

During the season I try to watch the young guys and prospects so I can have some hope for the next season.

- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team?

Caps fan, grew up in DC. I lived in New Orleans and Denver for awhile, but I still loved my Caps.

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV?

I've been to hundreds of Caps home games.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for?

That changes from year to year, depending on the players and the history with the Caps. For example, this year I will be rooting for whoever plays against the Sabres.

Oh yes. Flyers suck!

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 09:58 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Thanks to those who participated. It was interesting to read how some of you stay loyal to your favorite team even though you don't live near to the city of that team or even if it's difficult to see their games on TV. And also how you still enjoy hockey even if your team has been eliminated from the Playoffs, or find ways to root for or against other teams.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:05 AM
KenHiczkakenbalz

Team: Washington Capitals
Location: Falls Church, VA (8.71mi/14km, 15 min. drive to DC)

Quote:
I watch the Finals but that's pretty much it. I love my team and stop caring when they're no longer in it. (addendum: Aside from the NHL, I watched most of the Hershey Bears' (AHL) playoff games last year in their Cup run. Great fun!)

Quote:
Whichever team I like more. My favorites in each other division are the Isles, Canadiens, Blackhawks, Canucks, and Kings.

Quote:
Everyone else in the Atlantic.

Last edited by KenHiczkakenbalz: 02-14-2007 at 08:45 PM.
KenHiczkakenbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Boocock

Watch.

My immediate family, including myself. I live in Cincinnati, where as the Penguins are in Pittsburgh.

I've seen the Pens at Mellon Arena and at Gaylord Entertainment Center. I generally am unable to watch the games on FSN Pittsburgh since I don't get FSN Pittsburgh. I generally listen to them on NHL.com radio, watch them whenever they are on Versus or NBC, or view them online.

I try to find a team I identify with and root for them. The team can't be in the Pens division. Usually, actually, I choose a Western Conference team. I'd probably root for either Minnesota or Buffalo. Buffalo has good fans and were part of one of my favorite Stanley Cups ever, and Minnesota lost their team and deserves a shot with their new team to go all the way.

I still laugh when Washington fails. I still hate everything the Flyers do. I still pray someone is able to knock off the Devils.

Boocock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
WpgPens

Quote:

Watch whichever games are available. Like the regular season, theres always a game on, doesn't really matter much if my personal favourite team is playing. Or if it's not the NHL, it doesn't really matter either, often get OHL/WHL/AHL games broadcast. It's all fine and dandy with me.

Am a Pens fan and live in Winnipeg, so...it's definitely not walking distance.

Whenever the Pens were in town I'd be there. For whatever reason they haven't played here in quite some time now. Bad scheduling methinks. Surprisingly get to watch quite a few Pens games this season, in around 20-25 thus far.

I wouldn't necessarily "root" for another team. A preference on who I would like to see win is more likely. Normally will support most Canadian teams, especially the Habs(close 2nd fav. team), the Wings, Avs, and Wild.

Hmmm...moreso I'd rather see one team win compared to wanting one team to lose. Somehow that made sense when I typed it. All depends on what teams are playing. If Leafs were playing the Lightning, i'd want the Leafs to win, but if say the Leafs were playing the Wings, I'd want the Wings to win. If the Wings were playing the Habs, I'd want the Habs to win. So on and so forth. Don't necessarily "hate" any team, there are some at the bottom of my preference list and many above those...

Last edited by WpgPens: 02-14-2007 at 11:09 AM.
WpgPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

vCash: 0
I live 45min from the CAA in N.J and unlike others in my area Im a Devils fan not Rangers or Flyers. I like baseball but don't real follow it until after someone raises the Stanley Cup meaning, I'll watch the entire playoffs and root for the underdogs or a team/city thats never won the cup before. If the Devils lose to a non rival in the playoffs and not to the Rangers of Flyers I sometimes root for that team Canes of 05 for an example but, only if it was a clean series sometimes rivalries are made in the playoffs.

Lou's Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Solak

Send a message via AIM to Solak Send a message via Yahoo to Solak
The idea behind this thread is sort of explorative. If you will, answer those questions that pertain to you.

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs? I love hockey and have no problem watching every game of the playoffs even if my team isn't playing.

- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team? I was raised in Ohio, currently live in Minnesota, my favorite team is Montreal. Columbus is my second team since they got their team but like I said I don't live in Ohio anymore. So I don't live close to either of my teams.

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV? I mentioned my case in the question above. I've never gone to a MTL or Columbus home game. I try and catch the Blue Jackets everytime they play the Wild and unfortunately with the scheduling I don't get a chance to see Montreal play here. I watch every hockey game I can, but rarely catch MTL or Columbus. I am definitely going to get Center Ice after this year though. I do listen to almost every Habs game online though.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for? If my teams aren't in the playoffs I root for teams with my other favorite players. It depends on who all is in the playoffs, I could find myself rooting for anyone depending on matchups. Only team I can't see myself rooting for is Toronto.

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they? Sure, even if my team is out my interest in the playoffs doesn't diminish much. I just love watching hockey.

Solak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Dizzy

- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs? I still watch even after my team is eliminated

- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team? My teams are Philly and Washington and I live in southwestern Ontario.

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV? Never seen either team play on home ice, though I try to get to the games when they're on the road nearby.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for? Usually root for my favourite players on other teams (usually former Flyers) - last year I went for Carolina. Or if that's not an option I'll go for the underdog.

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they? Always cheer against the Wings and Leafs. Usually cheer for the team playing the team that eliminated my team as well.

Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Lunatik*

I just in enjoy the games, before i was living with my fiance I surfed NHL center Ice every night the Flames didn't play

I live in the same province about 2-3 hour drive away

I have never been able to see my team play on home ice, i don't drive so unless I am paying a fortune to go on a fan bus I can't really go... i watch almost every flames game, i get most PPV games and have NHL center ice

in the playoffs I cheer for the Flames first and the Sens second

I can not bring myself to cheer for one of those hated teams... I will NEVER cheer for Edmonton, Vancouver, Detroit, NY Rangers or Dallas

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:06 PM
DG

Quote:
I like to watch all kinds of hockey... I can excited about watching good hockey between good teams, and watching individual players with tons of skill.

Quote:

N/A - Live in Ottawa, see them live all the time and watch them on TV.

Quote:

The last few years, I got behind the underdog (so Anaheim, Calgary and Edmonton) but I usually find myself pulling for one team or another. I pulled for Buffalo to beat Carolina last year too since they beat out Ottawa.

I absolutlely cheer against teams too - Toronto for sure, but otherwise, it's case by case.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
I will continue to watch the playoff games. Nothing like playoff hockey!

Quote:
My dad lives with me in California, but was originally from Montreal and his favorite team is the Habs.

Quote:
Yep, I do. It depends on the situation of-course. I probably won't root for the team that eliminated the Ducks, but other than that, I would usually root for the underdog and the team that hasn't won the Stanley Cup before. Of-course, I would root for the Habs first and then go from there.

Quote:
I wouldn't root for the team that eliminated my team and I am happy when they lose. Last year's Oilers for example...good times.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:26 PM
AVSfan2daMAX

My favorite team is the Colorado Avalanche (I've never been to Denver though). I live in Vancouver. And when the AVS are no longer in cup contentio I usally jump on another team's bandwagon. I can really enjoy games when the avs aren't playing, while when they are I just want them to win, not as enjoyable.

AVSfan2daMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:46 PM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

My answer to the first question is sort of...well, it's new territory. as a Flyers fan from about age 8, I've never seen the Flyers miss the playoffs. Ever. Started watching in '96. So right now, I watch, I read up on prospects, I weaar my jersey around, I cheer for big hits, solid wins, and moral victories, and I watch a lot of videos of past glory.

As for the other two-I root for the Avalanche if the Flyers are gone (I started watching in '96, remember, early memories of Foppa/Sakic/Roy/Claude Lemieux). If they're out, it's whichever teams I hate less. As a Flyers fan, I hate most of the conference, however, except Atlanta, Carolina, Washington, and the Bruins. And those teams aren't often in it. SO I usually hope the teams beat the **** out of eachother and hope the West wins the Cup.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Tachycineta

Oh MoreOrr, you and your thought provoking threads...

Quote:
I really enjoy just watching hockey and appreciate the amazing skills possessed by the players and I also appreciate hard work and good plays. Only 1 team wins the cup every year and so, IMO, one must take whatever satisfaction she can out of any given season, whether that includes your team doing well or simply appreciation of the game.
Quote:
Yep, in the following order- Ottawa (because the fans are classy and the city reminds me of Buffalo, small market etc....), Montreal, Toronto, Boston and Phoenix. Yep, I am a northeast homer but I also like underdogs.

Quote:
I do root against certain teams but I prefer not to mention which ones on the main boards.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion

I usually focus on junior hockey, and catch some of the NHL on TV, it depends on the intrest factor of the teams remaining. Last year for instance I watched alot of the Carolina and Buffalo games because they played the style I enjoy watching

I live in Ottawa and am a Toronto Maple Leaf fan. I up until the lockout had season tickets for the Senators though. Got to do your little bit for the community

I guess I have gone to 200+ Leaf games, most of them in the old Gardens during my lifetime.

Tough question, generally I would root for the team who beat my team in the playoffs. Seasons like last year I would root for the teams who I think deserved it

Nah not really. When you get older you learn to accept and not to hate as much. I have at times even felt myself cheering for Montreal and Ottawa.

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 12:40 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
- What do you do to simply enjoy hockey when your favorite team doesn't make the Playoffs or after they have been eliminated from the Playoffs? After mourning my team's loss, I continue to follow the playoffs via TV or other form of media. Still hockey, still a fan.

- Who among you doesn't live in the same state or province nor anywhere near to your favorite team? Dallas fan, born and raised in Toronto

- Who has never or almost never had an occasion of being at a game to see your favorite team play on home-ice? And if this is the case, are you at least able to see a lot of games with your favorite team on TV? Seen Dallas play in Toronto once (great game! 5-5 tie, lol). Can't see em much on TV, at least not Canadian TV, unless it's on a Saturday. Or NBC on Sundays.

- If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you root for other teams? And if so, which other teams might you root for? Well I always root for the team playing the team that eliminated Dallas!

- Flip side of the last question: If your favorite team has been eliminated from Playoff competition, do you still take great interest in rooting against the team or teams that you really hate? And if so, which teams are they? Of course, I still follow the playoffs, and I pick who I want to win or lose. Good times!

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:17 AM
SammyTheBull

1- Sens always bounce out of the playoffs so I keep watching as many games as I can on CBC, TSN and RDS.

2- Sens fan born in Halifax living in Quebec. Was a Pens fan first because of Lemieux.

3- I've never been to an NHL game

4- When the Sens lose I root for the Canadian teams and Pittsburgh.

5- I don't hate any team I just hate the fans of certain teams. For example Montreal I hate french Habs fans with a passion. They're Pierre McGuire to the MAX.

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote