HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Habs are scared...Boohoo

Old
02-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
The Habs are scared...Boohoo

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=195851&hubname=nhl

you know what i'd rather miss the playoffs and have a team playing on the edge next year rather than a bunch of flaoters being too comfortable

Kovalev:
Quote:
We're not enjoying the games," he said. "We're playing scared.

"We're scared of getting benched or scratched. Right now, we're in a bad atmosphere and to make it right we have to come back and start over like it's Day One."
i dont undestand....if you play well and dont whine there's no reason to get benched or scratched so it's upto the players themselves to not get benched or scratched

i think that the problem noone is scared and Carbo saw this. This team was on it's way to becoming the rangers of old filled with primadonnas

Theo, Ribs and Bulis were not the only Divas on this team i guess

you think Bowman or Sutter or Lindy Ruff or Martin let any of their players get comfortable?

every player was always scared playing for bowman so they performed to stay on the team...everytime they inverview players they'd say the same thing about bowman

Look even souray has no intensity left in him the guy that was talking about how we lacked it and every game tried to bring it back

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:00 PM
LamborGREENie

The only player that should be scared right now is Samsonov...

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:01 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=195851&hubname=nhl

you know what i'd rather miss the playoffs and have a team playing on the edge next year rather than a bunch of flaoters being too comfortable

Kovalev:

i dont undestand....if you play well and dont whine there's no reason to get benched or scratched so it's upto the players themselves to not get benched or scratched

i think that the problem noone is scared and Carbo saw this. This team was on it's way to becoming the rangers of old filled with primadonnas

Theo, Ribs and Bulis were not the only Divas on this team i guess

you think Bowman or Sutter or Lindy Ruff or Martin let any of their players get comfortable?

every player was always scared playing for bowman so they performed to stay on the team...everytime they inverview players they'd say the same thing about bowman

Look even souray has no intensity left in him the guy that was talking about how we lacked it and every game tried to bring it back
The problem is that Carbo doesn't bench the guys who deserve it and punishes the guys who are getting better and better.

Why was Samsonov benched a few games back? He was one of the best forwards on the team for a few games. And again, he was very good Saturday night and Carbo was negative towards him saying "he was ok but he didn't shoot enough."

Why isn't Ryder benched? I too would be scared of being benched, if I wasn't Koivu, Latendresse, Ryder or others of the usual suspects of course. Carbo plays favorites, and it screws up the motivation on the team.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Nobak

If you bench guys as soon as they make mistakes they'll try to avoid bad plays rather than trying to make good ones. It's not a good situation.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:05 PM
dodecapod*

Ryder was on the 4th line last night but he scored a goal so Carbo put him back at the top when he benched Kovalev. And Samsonov was benched those few games back because he asked to be traded and was put on waivers. If you're going to dis Carbo do it properly.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Wow.... can't believe Kovalev has the temerity to complain about the coaching decisions. With his play we're lucky we haven't gone through more coaches during his time here. It's as though he's allegic to good work ethic. I doubt any of the players on this team (outside of lazy players) are scared.

Only lazy, non-committed hockey players would feel nervous on the team. It's not rocket science.

Kovalev, for his part, was more talking about himself and Samsonov and Perezhogin than, say, Max Lapierre, Radek Bonk, Higgins or Plekanec. There are guys who are obviously working hard and others who are obvious passengers.

I hope K. hasn't just given up like it sounds.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
MM425

If their number 1 concern is getting benched, than no wonder we're loosing so many games lately. Suck it up and play hockey

And if they think that they can fight Carbs on this, then they have another thing coming. He isn't going anywhere, the players will just have to get used to it.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:30 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCopterKey View Post
Ryder was on the 4th line last night but he scored a goal so Carbo put him back at the top when he benched Kovalev. And Samsonov was benched those few games back because he asked to be traded and was put on waivers. If you're going to dis Carbo do it properly.
Samsonov's agent asked for a trade after Sammy found out he was being scratched. The scratching had nothing to do with what happened after.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Kovalev said that, and I don't think he speaks for the whole team right now...

IMO HE is the one that is scared

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

listen it's obvious when he said not all players are heading in the right direction right now...

you have guys like bonk, johnson, pleks, lapieere, dandy, komi, higgins, koivu even murray and downey they know their roles and play hard...

but sammy whines, kovalev is really annoying lately and alwasy taking bad penalties and too individual and ryder same thing...and perezhogin who thinks he's the next european superstar but has barely proven himself..

look at guys like pleky and higs...those two take on the blames themselves dispite not being the problems...

again...what happens when you get comfortable? you slack and you get caught

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Rockomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiram View Post

Considering he's not the only player who deserved to be benched lately I think that there must be more players than only him who are playing scared. He may not be speaking for the whole team, but he sure speaks for some of his team mates. That said, Kovy rocks, Habs rock GO HABS GO

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
If you bench guys as soon as they make mistakes they'll try to avoid bad plays rather than trying to make good ones. It's not a good situation.
Exactly what I think... Perez is trying hard he creates chances and he makes a little mistake and then bam hes scratch... It's really hard play not making mistake. When you feel lke you've an opening you make the simple play not to get caught and when it happens you dont score goal and its exactly what happens right now.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Rockomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
listen it's obvious when he said not all players are heading in the right direction right now...

you have guys like bonk, johnson, pleks, lapieere, dandy, komi, higgins, koivu even murray and downey they know their roles and play hard...

but sammy whines, kovalev is really annoying lately and alwasy taking bad penalties and too individual and ryder same thing...and perezhogin who thinks he's the next european superstar but has barely proven himself..

look at guys like pleky and higs...those two take on the blames themselves dispite not being the problems...

again...what happens when you get comfortable? you slack and you get caught
Lately, Koivu has been the one who's always taking bad penalties, not Kovalev. Koivu's my favorite player on this team but right now, he's the one taking those annoying penalties...there is just too much people hating Kovalev here

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Trying to understand what Carbo seems to be saying about Sammy, is that I have the feeling he keep asking Sammy to be more involve with that speed of his but to mostly SHOOT more often, and every game, sure Sammy is skating, working and all but still doesn't shoot......

When Carbonneau was asked after the game how Sammy was, he clearly said "good, he skated hard.....but we would like for him to shoot, but it's coming..", clearly again a discomfort about his play even though through our eyes, Sammy played a really good game yesterday.

But everybody is confused 'cause Carbonneau keeps saying that we're not working when the true problem is that we're not working properly. Sammy is working, but he's not going to pay the price and go in the slot to take a shot, he's just not willing to do that and I'm sure that pisses Carbo off....but then there's a few more problems to settle than this one.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiram View Post

Kovy's got no reason to be scared, he knows Carbo is not stupid enough to put him on waivers. I think he was talking about the younger guys, not having confidence right now.

02-11-2007, 07:02 PM
One Trick Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The problem is that Carbo doesn't bench the guys who deserve it and punishes the guys who are getting better and better.

Why was Samsonov benched a few games back? He was one of the best forwards on the team for a few games. And again, he was very good Saturday night and Carbo was negative towards him saying "he was ok but he didn't shoot enough."

Why isn't Ryder benched? I too would be scared of being benched, if I wasn't Koivu, Latendresse, Ryder or others of the usual suspects of course. Carbo plays favorites, and it screws up the motivation on the team.
Exactly

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Lafontaine

I totally agree...

I totally agree with Kovalev's comments. Carbonneau clearly plays favourites and the benchings are entirely unrelated (as some of you claim) to work ethic. Ryder and Latendresse have not been giving a solid effort for over a month, and only in the last two games has it affected Ryder's playing time.

Carbo has been playing yo-yo with Perezhogin and has clearly scared him into playing a less creative, more fearful style. This guy (Guy) wants to put the reigns on the type of flare that got us off to a 21-8-5 start. I have no idea why. If it was purely a matter of punishing players who weren't working hard, I would be all for it, but it is far more random than that.

We can only assume that it has something to do with what goes on behind closed doors. Well, you know what? I don't give a damn what goes on behind closed doors. I couldn't care less if Perezhogin and Samsonov hadn't shown up to a practise all year - if they step out on the ice game day and show the effort, that is all that counts.

Are the players scared? Of course some of them are!

Carbonneau: "Hey Alex, go out there and skate hard, play good defence and stick to the system"

Perezhogin: "Da"

Carbonneau: "Excellent game Alex, you did exactly what I told you and even added a goal! You can sit for the next two games."

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:06 PM
STAALing

So, the whole habs started playing bad because they spontaneously got scared that if they played bad they would get benched ?

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:12 PM
JV

This is nonsense. This is like asking for a patient's opinion on why the surgery went bad.

The team has no edge because:

1. Samsonov and Kovalev have been allowed to languish on a line that hasn't functioned since training camp.

2. Latendresse was pushed up to the first line when Higgins went down when it should have been Samsonov.

3. Ryder has been (almost entirely) immune from criticism despite poor play.

4. Perezhogin hasn't been used in an offensive role with players who can move the puck and skate.

5. And because nobody thought we had a major problem depending entirely on special teams for scoring.....

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
I totally agree with Kovalev's comments. Carbonneau clearly plays favourites and the benchings are entirely unrelated (as some of you claim) to work ethic. Ryder and Latendresse have not been giving a solid effort for over a month, and only in the last two games has it affected Ryder's playing time.

Carbo has been playing yo-yo with Perezhogin and has clearly scared him into playing a less creative, more fearful style. This guy (Guy) wants to put the reigns on the type of flare that got us off to a 21-8-5 start. I have no idea why. If it was purely a matter of punishing players who weren't working hard, I would be all for it, but it is far more random than that.

We can only assume that it has something to do with what goes on behind closed doors. Well, you know what? I don't give a damn what goes on behind closed doors. I couldn't care less if Perezhogin and Samsonov hadn't shown up to a practise all year - if they step out on the ice game day and show the effort, that is all that counts.

Are the players scared? Of course some of them are!

Carbonneau: "Hey Alex, go out there and skate hard, play good defence and stick to the system"

Perezhogin: "Da"

Carbonneau: "Excellent game Alex, you did exactly what I told you and even added a goal! You can sit for the next two games."
What these guys would have done in 1955? Or 1975? Or 1985? Being depressed or work harder? These guys these days are a bunch of wusses.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:35 PM
STAALing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What these guys would have done in 1955? Or 1975? Or 1985? Being depressed or work harder? These guys these days are a bunch of wusses.
The guys in 55, 75 or 85 had talent.

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarillo Slim View Post
The guys in 55, 75 or 85 had talent.
Kovy has talent in spades.

Old
02-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Lafontaine

Hmmm...

I totally disagree with all of the posters who are saying that our players are "wussies" or complainers, because of their reactions to Carbonneau's decisions.

If you have played a lot of sports you would know that frusteration and confidence are key parts of any game and have nothing to do with hard work. Most of these guys are strong competitors - they want to win. Naturally, if you work your a** off to win games every night and a coach is doing something that works against all of your best efforts, you are eventually going to see the futility in breaking your back over a losing cause.

I am a soccer player. In soccer you are constantly having to make runs off of the ball to find open space and pave the way for an easier passing game. Over the years I have played on teams that are plagued with selfish players. You make a run, you don't get the pass. You make a run, you don't get the pass. I love winning, I work hard on the pitch, but in those situations you just stop trying. It is pointless.

Samsonov works hard: bench. Perezhogin works hard: press box. Grabovski is flying: minors. Kostitsyn tears it up in the minors: doesn't get a sniff. Murray does nothing (except clear waivers): gets to play in the NHL. Ryder doesn't work a minute of a shift all year: first line garauntee. Latendresse play steadily declines: garaunteed 15 minutes a game.

If I am Kovalev I look at my three Stanley Cup rings, stop to think about all of the things it takes to win titles, I look over at my buddies Samsonov and Perezhogin, glance back at the coach (who hasn't said a word to any of us in three months) and I say to myself: "What's the point?"

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I totally disagree with all of the posters who are saying that our players are "wussies" or complainers, because of their reactions to Carbonneau's decisions.

If you have played a lot of sports you would know that frusteration and confidence are key parts of any game and have nothing to do with hard work. Most of these guys are strong competitors - they want to win. Naturally, if you work your a** off to win games every night and a coach is doing something that works against all of your best efforts, you are eventually going to see the futility in breaking your back over a losing cause.

I am a soccer player. In soccer you are constantly having to make runs off of the ball to find open space and pave the way for an easier passing game. Over the years I have played on teams that are plagued with selfish players. You make a run, you don't get the pass. You make a run, you don't get the pass. I love winning, I work hard on the pitch, but in those situations you just stop trying. It is pointless.

Samsonov works hard: bench. Perezhogin works hard: press box. Grabovski is flying: minors. Kostitsyn tears it up in the minors: doesn't get a sniff. Murray does nothing (except clear waivers): gets to play in the NHL. Ryder doesn't work a minute of a shift all year: first line garauntee. Latendresse play steadily declines: garaunteed 15 minutes a game.

If I am Kovalev I look at my three Stanley Cup rings, stop to think about all of the things it takes to win titles, I look over at my buddies Samsonov and Perezhogin, glance back at the coach (who hasn't said a word to any of us in three months) and I say to myself: "What's the point?"
I played sport too. In fact I played Soccer and Hockey. And when the effort is truly there, something happens. Maybe not always goals, but there's sparks outthere. If Sammy really was giving his whole, things would be happening. Take Begin in the last game for instance: that's a real effort.

Old
02-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Kovalev won the cup three times? I thought he only won it with the Rangers once?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote