HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Urquhart

Old
02-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Kramy

vCash: 500
Cory Urquhart

2 goals, 4 assists and + 3 in 4 games since he was called back from Cincinnati!

Show your love here!

Seriously, I don't know much about Urquhart since everybody labelled him as a bust, does anybody still have hope he could make the NHL someday? Could he have just unblocked? He's not that old after all, turning 23 in October.

Last edited by Kramy: 02-12-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Kramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Shabutie

He's playing with the Hottest Dog at the moment, Andrei Kostitsyn.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:27 AM
Kramy

Ahhhhh I'd love to see the Bulldogs on TV, so is Grabovsky playing on the left wing? Who are D'Agostini's linemates?

Grabovsky - Urquhart - Kostitsyn ?

Kramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:30 AM
km2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
2 goals, 4 assists and + 3 in 4 games since he was called back from Cincinnati!

Show your love here!

Seriously, I don't know much about Urquhart since everybody labelled him as a bust, does anybody still have hope he could make the NHL someday? Could he have just unblocked? He's not that old after all, turning 23 in October.
No, a good 4 game streak does not mean he has unblocked. He's still a lazy, fairly player who should never have been drafted in the 2nd round.

km2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:32 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
Ahhhhh I'd love to see the Bulldogs on TV, so is Grabovsky playing on the left wing? Who are D'Agostini's linemates?

Grabovsky - Urquhart - Kostitsyn ?

No Grabovski is out either resting from playing on friday or reinjured, didn't get to hear the Dogs pregame and had to listen to the other teams announcers twice this weekend. It was D'Agostini Urquhart Kostitsyn

He played ok, nothing bad all weekend, although he didnt play much on friday. He filled in fine, worked hard and didn't back away from the physical play. I think he could be a regular in the ahl, after that I am not sold yet. This team has many B level prospects imo, so Urquhart has his work cut out for him cause there is a lot of comp with few spots.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 05:14 AM
wedge

Urquart finally gets his chance and shows his great talent. I tell you, next year he's gonna make the habs.

He would be our perfect 2nd line center. He's 6'3 and 200 pounds

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Top Corner2

Maybe the ECHL is not such a bad league

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:50 AM
mcphee

During his first camp, I saw an interview with the kid on RDS. He was well spoken,in French, and seemed like a pretty impressive guy. I found myself really hoping he'd do well. I've never seen more than a few shifts of him on the ice, but some guys don't have the extra gear that gets you from high scoring Jr. to solid pro. Could be mental toughness, competitiveness, who knows. I still hope he does well though.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Qui Gon Dave

I've only seen him play a handful of games but he hasn't looked like the guy I imagined he would be having read descriptions of his play in the ECHL. He hasn't been an absolute force but he has given a good account of himself each game. He has had a few shifts here and there where he isn't all that noticable, but has put up some nice numbers and shown a willingness to work the boards at both ends of the ice as well as making sure he gets back to his own zone (or chasing an opponent) when the puck is turned over. Hopefully, he sees his play lately as the first step on his way to something better and not as a conclusive result.

It's still far to early to tell what will happen to him, there are a number of problems facing him. First, for as long as Grabs and Manlow are out, he has to play well on the top line. If he can do that, his next challenge will be to keep a spot on the team once those guys start getting healthy (or Montreal/Edmonton send people back down). Then he has to show management enough to make sure he is resigned and then show his abilities in the AHL over a season or so (unless he has a remarkable training camp, but it seems a little unlikely he'll beat out a significant number of our other centres). But at least he seems to be on the right track for the time being, which can only be good for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToBeAHabFan View Post
He would be our perfect 2nd line center. He's 6'3 and 200 pounds
Nonsense. Utter nonsense. He would have to be a right handed centre to be perfect

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:59 AM
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by km2 View Post
No, a good 4 game streak does not mean he has unblocked. He's still a lazy, fairly player who should never have been drafted in the 2nd round.
what makes me wonder is why we drafted 4 players from the same team that year...

perhaps scouting was lazy that year?

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 08:09 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
what makes me wonder is why we drafted 4 players from the same team that year...

All the players that fit their wants were there, not laziness....was the Rocket based in Montreal that year or in PEI???? It would look lazy if they were in Montreal, but really we know that isn't the truth.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Souray44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
All the players that fit their wants were there, not laziness....was the Rocket based in Montreal that year or in PEI???? It would look lazy if they were in Montreal, but really we know that isn't the truth.
I can't remember. I know for sure the year after they were drafted they played here because I was psyched I got a first hand look at 4 Canadiens prospects every home game.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:01 AM
jcpenny

His problem wasnt lazyness, the guy was just afraid to get involve physically. Now it seems like he understood what it takes to make it to the pros. For some reason ive never given up on this guy, 6'3 200lbs with awsome skills and not a bad skater...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll see how he finishes up the year before I make a proper opinion. But since his call up, so far so good.

02-12-2007, 09:23 AM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Funny enough, a big physical ( well ... if he stays physical ) scoring presence like Urquhart, might be right up the alle .... FORSBERG , WE NEED FORSBERG
WHERE IS MY FORSBERG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Never was a fan of his even at draft day, (and that has nothing to do with Bergeron...)still not to sure about him but then needs to receive some props for upgrading his game.

I've seen at least 2 games from him this year on TV and he was dominant without really trying. At a point that he looked disinterested and bored as well which again made me think that he didn't lose his "great" work ethic......But so far, seems that he was only waiting for a better level of play and responded well. So great for him but there's a long way to go.....I didn't like at all his showing at the Pros camp, was totally invisible, was sent home really soon, didn't show anything as if he still didn't get what to do to go further. If he just did, good for everyone.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:16 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post

First, It was 3 players from PEI.. Lambert was selected the year before..

Lapierre was displaying a great work ethic on and off ice, had great size, great hockey sense, great attitude, was skating extremely well.. Was definitively one of the best checker in the Q.. Urquhart had spectacular playoffs that year, was just dominant offensively and thats the reason why the Habs drafted him.. he was a big skilled center highly ranked by the central and his stock rose in playoffs in Habs' scouts mind..

Bonneau was the best enforcer in the Q.. A late round pick..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:30 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
No Grabovski is out either resting from playing on friday or reinjured, didn't get to hear the Dogs pregame and had to listen to the other teams announcers twice this weekend. It was D'Agostini Urquhart Kostitsyn

He played ok, nothing bad all weekend, although he didnt play much on friday. He filled in fine, worked hard and didn't back away from the physical play. I think he could be a regular in the ahl, after that I am not sold yet. This team has many B level prospects imo, so Urquhart has his work cut out for him cause there is a lot of comp with few spots.
well, I think they said in the line-up changements that Grabo was missing is 2nd game with a knee injury, which make me thing he was not 100% ready on friday but still played

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Lambert 2002 --> Montréal Rocket
Lapierre, Urquhart, Bonneau 2003 --> Montréal Rocket

so yeah, all were drafted before going to P.E.I.

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Altoid

I like the Urquhart kid, I think he's going to play in the NHL one day, actually I like the entire story on 4 draft picks from the 2001-02 & 2002-03 Rocket. I thought Montreal was ahead of its time doing this and I think soon enough that we’ll see more pro teams working with amateur teams developing their developmental programs.

The Rocket was in Montreal until summer of 2003. They weren’t exceptional but had an up-tempo game, good forechecking and had been recruiting pretty well themselves. Also, the Rocket is a Savard family venture (Serge, not Andre). Serge Savard Jr was/is the GM, Marc Savard was/is the Governor and President of the Rocket. There were lots of links between the two teams. The Montreal Canadiens invited the Montreal Rocket to their Christmas party and lots of volunteer events were done jointly such as the Christmas visit to St. Justin’s hospital.

The Canadiens spent most of the 2001-02 season interviewing candidates to build the front office and picked up some great talent like Trevor Timmins who’s now Director of Player Development. He had been with the Ottawa Senators Scouting staff that has arguably had the most success in drafting over the past 10 years in terms of graduating players to the pro ranks. The Habs scouts were few and on a lean budget. Timmins had gone to Rocket games to see Lambert play (picked in the 4th round, 99 overall in 2002) and obviously saw how well Urquhart, Lapierre and Bonneau played, so they took Urquhart and Lapierre in the second round, 40th and 61 respectively and added Bonneau at the end of the draft as a tough character, good in the locker room but they also thought it was a good way to transition all the kids from the Rocket to Hamilton and then hopefully in the pro line-up. Scott Livingstone, strength and conditioning coach had helped develop a training program for the team and there was a sense that what the Canadiens were doing was a good for the NHL and good for hockey. The key to all of this was Andre Savard. We always hear “in Bob we trust”, and we’re starting to see dividends of good drafting and good organizational management but it started with Savard.

My bet is the Urquhart story is going to have a good ending. He has soft hands around the net, hard to hit off the puck and sees the ice really well. It could be that he forgot the value of hard work but that’s something you can teach. He has all the other tools in spades.

I scouted him as a junior when he was with the Rocket and this kid loves to play. He and Lambert were the last two get off the ice at practice and during warm up. Sure they were hotdogging a bit for the crowd but they love to play and that’s why they were drafted.

Altoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think Urquhart has a better chance than Lambert. Lambert is far from impressive.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Skyblaze

Never really liked Urquhart, but then again I was all hyped up on Corey Locke back then so it shows how much I might really know about them prospects.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Namso

i wanted to ask how many of those points did he actually contribute and how many of them were just from riding on kosty's back?

i hope he turns out good but time might be against him.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 03:28 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
i wanted to ask how many of those points did he actually contribute and how many of them were just from riding on kosty's back?
Cory has certainly benefitted from playing on the top line and as a result gets chances that he wouldn't get playing on a line with, say, Ferland and Baines. But that's not to say that the other guys do the work and Cory gets the results. The reason that line and other lines AK has been on this season have had success is that each player brought an ability for some part of the game to the line. It was evident with the Lappy-Stortini combo and the Grabs-Milroy/D'agostini lines as well and Urquhart is just starting to make his own contributions. Obviously he has only had a very small number of games to show his play so far, but I think he deserves most of, if not all the points he got.

The goal he got on Sunday was as a result of going to the net. He might have been a little lucky to get the puck on his stick (Kost fanned on a shot and Urquhart picked it up) but he created his own luck by going to the net. The goal Kost scored against the Phantoms the other night wouldn't have happened without Urquhart, who picked off a pass and fed it in front to Kost who only had to shoot at the net. He may have an assist or two that he only made a simple pass on and his teammates went and scored, but if so that happens for everyone. He is doing a good job for the time being and if his stats are looking good, maybe it gives him the confidence to keep working at his game and really fight for a place on the team. I certainly wouldn't say that he is purely benefiting from the good form of those around him.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Q ADDICT

i dont know why you guys are so surprised by urquhart's production. latendresse played like crap on the 3rd line and excelled on the top line. the fact is any of these kids, and they are kids, can play in any of the 3 leagues (nhl, ahl, echl) if given the chance. u dog urquhart for years, when if he had the chance, he could potentially be in the nhl now. it gets easier as you go up, not harder. it boggles my mind howyou call these kids "busts" when they haven't been given an opportunity.

Q ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote