HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Whom is the most underrated goaltender in the league?

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2003, 07:37 PM
LaVal

vCash: 500
Roloson EASILY takes the cake on this IMO. i think of him as a top-10 goaltender in this league. the reason he isn't doing well on All-Star balloting is because too many people are quick to give credit to the system he plays in... while the truth is the system revolves around Roloson.

Old
12-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Mizral

Nobody mentioned Rolo - I guess not just underrated, but VERY underrated. As many of you know, I think Vokoun is the cats meow, but I honestly feel Roloson is right there with him, though not quite as spectacular, more steady.

Old
12-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Teemu

1. Thibault
2. Toskala
3. Roloson

Vokoun isnt really underrated anymore, as word has gotten out about him. Toskala is really making a good case this year, even though he's only played 13 games (1.85 GAA so far!)

When healthy, Thibault is easily a top 10 goalie in the league, and flirts with top 5. I mean, Christ, the blackhawks havent won a single game since he went down. Anyone who can post a winning record so far with this blackhawks team deserves a statue in front of the United Center :p

Old
12-08-2003, 08:14 PM
DarioinDenver

Toskala has looked scary good with no pub.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Nobody mentioned Rolo - I guess not just underrated, but VERY underrated. As many of you know, I think Vokoun is the cats meow, but I honestly feel Roloson is right there with him, though not quite as spectacular, more steady.
LaVal575

Old
12-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
Vokoun isnt really underrated anymore, as word has gotten out about him.
Check the All-star ballots my friend .

I like Roloson, the only problem he has is giving up top-shelf goals.

My top 3 candidates:

1.) Tomas Vokoun
2.) Dwayne Roloson
3.) David Aebischer/Marc Denis

Old
12-08-2003, 09:11 PM
dulzhok

I'll go with Cujo.

Everybody talks like he's worthless, but I still think he's got some good goaltending in him.

He may get a mighty nice buy-out check from the Red Wings soon.

Old
12-08-2003, 10:32 PM
PecaFan

Vokoun isn't underrated at all, especially here. Check out the Vezina threads, he gets a ton of support.

Underrated would be the guys who get no credit, despite playing well. Guys like Osgood, Nurminen, and Cloutier.

Old
12-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Tyler

He's only played 6 games, but I think Mikka Kiprusoff will be one of those goalies who sneeks under everyone's radar, but has a fantastic season.. provided he doesnt lose his job to Turek

Old
12-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler
He's only played 6 games, but I think Mikka Kiprusoff will be one of those goalies who sneeks under everyone's radar, but has a fantastic season.. provided he doesnt lose his job to Turek
THat's part of Kipper's bag though ... he's very streaky and constantly is playing the "consistancy game" with fans. That's the main reason the Sharks decided to deal him rather than Toskala (aside from the age/potential aspects as well).

Kiprusoff broke in backing up Nabokov for a few games after Steve Shields was dealt, before being dropped into a few playoff games facing off against the very same Roman Turek and the St. Louis Blues. He fared quite well, and despite the Sharks losing hte series--their fans still liked what they saw in Kiprusoff.

The next season, Nabokov workhorsed through nearly 70 games giving only 20 games of action to Kiprusoff--who did prove to be immensely solid in those 20 games. At this point, many people were buzzing that if Kiprusoff was given the right opportunity, that he could break out. With Nabokov's contract holdout the very next season he got that opportunity and stunk it up royally--in half the amount of games, Toskala saw more rubber and put up far superior numbers.

What I'm saying is, that this could very well be Kiprusoff's "chance" that people speak of--and it's great that Flame fans can enjoy his current success, but coming from a "Sharks Observer," don't get too excited ... at least not yet.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
What I'm saying is, that this could very well be Kiprusoff's "chance" that people speak of--and it's great that Flame fans can enjoy his current success, but coming from a "Sharks Observer," don't get too excited ... at least not yet.
I agree, that was one of the things that worried me when Sutter picked up Kiprusoff. Let's wait and see if how long he can put this together; after Turek played half a season of Hart Trophy goaltending two years ago, then bombed out the 2nd half, I'm not getting my hopes up for this current stretch (We saw Donovan do what Iginla did, Turek what Kiprusoff). I'm causiously optimistic. I like what I'm seeing, but I'm not getting too excited yet. If the Flames play consistant, above .500 hockey until February, then yes I'll get excited at the prospect of playoffs, but I'm not getting my hopes up again.

---

About Vokoun... considering the among of attension he gets here and on hockey news, I don't think he's very underrated lately.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:57 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Vokoun isn't underrated at all, especially here. Check out the Vezina threads, he gets a ton of support.

Underrated would be the guys who get no credit, despite playing well. Guys like Osgood, Nurminen, and Cloutier.
Well, if Cloutier and Osgood suddenly became underrated, a lot of people here would have to admit that they were wrong. :p

Last edited by Legionnaire: 12-09-2003 at 02:01 AM.
Old
12-09-2003, 03:55 AM
GB

Send a message via ICQ to GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
He gets the puck on his stick and then kicks his stick and the puck goes shooting around the boards. It's classic.
That's what most British goalies used to do back in the 80's and early 90's. I miss it. Hopefully we'll get some Nashville games in the UK, I'd love to see that again.

My pick for under-rated goalie is Denis, my current favourite. As for Roloson he suffers because he's not quite the clear cut no.1. He's doing well in my fantasy league for me though.

Liam

Old
12-09-2003, 03:57 AM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Abby Vokoun and Denis

Denis is going to be a top 5 goalie if he goes on a better team or maybe even on columbus gonna be way harder there though.
Denis lacks the focus and mental toughness to be a top flight goaltender. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy (get him on the back of my new Jackets 3rd), but his breakdowns are very Osgood-esque.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:22 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Roloson doesn't get the respect he deserves because his team is not winning. It's pretty sad when a goaltender has a GAA of 1.90 and a save percentage of .933 and has a record of 5-7-3. What's even more sad is that team sells out every single game and made no effort to add some scoring ot the team in the offseason.

I'm not quite sure how Nurminen is underrated. He @ 2.68 and .906 on the season and for his career he's at .905 and 2.88.

Kiprusoff was very good when he first game into the league, but he was downright bad last year when playing full time while Nabakov was out.

Osgood is definately underrated. He wins a Cup and some people try to claim he had no part of it. Some Wings fans are glad to point out how important he was in 1998. Others, being the unfortunate stereotypical Wings fan deny him credit. And, this year he has been one of the best and most consistant goaltenders in the league.

Vokoun is underrated... being a Blues fan and seeing the Predators often, I've been well aware of how good he can be for some time.

Weekes is definately underrated.

Legace is not underrated at all. He's widely considered the best backup in hockey and most feel he could start on many teams.

Old
12-09-2003, 06:13 AM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Most underrated goalie? I'm going with Vokoun, although I think Osgood, and yes Martin Broduer are pretty underrated as well.

I can't really see Broduer as being underrated. He is regarded by many as the best in the game and one of the best ever.

Old
12-09-2003, 07:52 AM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

I'm going with Roloson...but i'm a Wild rube, so it only makes sense.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:23 AM
No Quarter

Hedberg

Closed Thread