HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Any NYR fans from CT?

Old
02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Any NYR fans from CT?

I spoke with some B's fan from Groton who told me that in the area it's all B's, it's not consider NYR country.

I find this odd because
1) I am from CT, in Fairfield County, and it's all NYR fans. There are Pats fans but as the NHL goes, zero B's fans.
2) Also the AHL team, Hartford is the Rangers
3) In general CT goes for the NY teams except for football where it's split and extreme Eastern parts of the state.

Is this personf ull of nonsense?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Well Fairfield County is closer to New York as where other parts of the state are closer to Mass. I can't really tell you how many Bruin fans there are versus Rangers fans though. I have a hard enough finding them. With Yankees/Sox it's basically split and the support gets heavier as you go towards the boards of NY and Mass.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Maineice11

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
NYR Fan from CT...Fairfield County! I'm not sure....i think its more rangers fans.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Richter35

Fairfield County represent. Groton is kinda upstate no? You find that people in the upper counties are Boston fans (Red Sox, B's) in general... its like a different world ahha.

Richter35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Mistress Mandy

The closer you are to the Massachusetts border, you're bound to find more Boston fans (both baseball and hockey) while you tend to find more fans of the Yankees and Rangers closer to the New York border. Though where I live -- the western side of Tolland county -- you've got a mixture of both New York and Boston fans. (I'm a Sox fan while Mom roots for the Yankees. Classic family rivalry in progress.)

As for where Groton is, you're talking New London county, which is the southeastern part of the state. I have no clue what the bigger fan base there is.

Now as for my hockey affiliation, I've been following the Pack for six seasons (including the one in progress). It's only a five minute trip to get to Hartford from where I live, since I-384 starts in my town and little to no traffic issues insue.

Mistress Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I went to High School in Fairfield County and it was 100% New York sports fans. My Dad worked in the city and it was great to take the train down on my own back then and meet up with him for Knicks or Rangers games.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 01:54 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
One of my best friends is from CT, and basically what he said is that basically everyone who was a Whalers fan became a Rangers fan, or just stopped caring about hockey all together. CT is probably more Boston loyal as a whole but a lot of CT, particularly the counties neighboring NY are generally Rangers fans.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Yep.. Fairfield county is all New York teams.. that is because NESN isn't broadcasted in Fairfield County and never was.. so not many had a chance to watch the Red Sox or the Bruins.

But, in upstate CT, you can get NESN, SNY, YES (all games)... and I think 50 Rangers games on MSG.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Fairfield County hardly counts as New England....

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 04:41 PM
swedishfish

i have a hard enough time finding NHL fans in the area. Hockey fans are/were numerous when the Trashers were around. The few fans i meet tend to be either Rangers or Devils (Mostly Devils).

swedishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 05:08 PM
mucker*

Outside of Fairfield County, Litchfield, Hartford, New Haven, New London, Middlesex, Tolland, don't they all still get NY stations and BOS station equally?

I would expect given the B's are so much less popular than both the Sox and NYR that in all of CT we would constitute a majority even by the MA border.

Old
02-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker View Post
Outside of Fairfield County, Litchfield, Hartford, New Haven, New London, Middlesex, Tolland, don't they all still get NY stations and BOS station equally?

I would expect given the B's are so much less popular than both the Sox and NYR that in all of CT we would constitute a majority even by the MA border.
The rest of CT outside of Fairfield county is SNY, YES, NESN.. all games.

MSG and FSNY, but they only get 50 NYR, and 41 NJ and NYI.

Old
02-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Mistress Mandy

Quote:
I get YES, NESN, and FOX Sports New England. FSNE will change to MSG when the Rangers play... Either they change or C-SPAN2'll switch over.

Last time I checked, I don't get SNY.

Old
02-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyB View Post
I get YES, NESN, and FOX Sports New England. FSNE will change to MSG when the Rangers play... Either they change or C-SPAN2'll switch over.

Last time I checked, I don't get SNY.
Thats because some cable companies upstate won't carry it. But you are in the SNY footprint. If you get DirecTV, you will have SNY.

Old
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Mistress Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Thats because some cable companies upstate won't carry it. But you are in the SNY footprint. If you get DirecTV, you will have SNY.
DirectTV? God, my family's cheap. We only have basic cable. I'm just glad Comcast gives me a majority of the networks I look forward to watching on a daily basis.

Old
02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
alkurtz

I live just across the border from Fairfield County in NY. I've spent considerable time in Danbury, CT and can honestly say that the only hockey shirts/hats/jackets etc. I see are Rangers. Except of course for those wearing Danbury Trasher gear.
Any of you CT Ranger fans get to the Danbury Ice Arena the last two years to see the UHL team rock?
To bad the owners doings resulted in the team folding but there is hope of a team in the ECHL, SPHL, or UHL in the next few years.
Watching the Trashers even made me a fan of the Dev's Mike Rupp, who played for them during the lockout.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Mistress Mandy

Yeah, I got down to Danbury twice when the Trashers were in town. Such a great team, too -- until I found out that the person who owned the team was involved in that mob scandal. (He owned more than that hockey team, by the way. A couple of race cars and a few businesses were under his name.)

Old
02-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Hartford HockeyFan

I am a Rangers fan living in the Hartford area. I also am a 10 year fan of the AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack.

Hartford HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:12 PM
swedishfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
I live just across the border from Fairfield County in NY. I've spent considerable time in Danbury, CT and can honestly say that the only hockey shirts/hats/jackets etc. I see are Rangers. Except of course for those wearing Danbury Trasher gear.
Any of you CT Ranger fans get to the Danbury Ice Arena the last two years to see the UHL team rock?
To bad the owners doings resulted in the team folding but there is hope of a team in the ECHL, SPHL, or UHL in the next few years.
Watching the Trashers even made me a fan of the Dev's Mike Rupp, who played for them during the lockout.
You have no idea how bad i miss the Trashers. They made college nights complete (along with section 102). Alas, always knew that the mob involvement would catch up to him, i am surprised it took so long. Everyone in New Fairfield knew he was involved for the past 6 or 7 years or so, at least!

But yes, i went to many a Trashers game..

swedishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:33 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford HockeyFan View Post
I am a Rangers fan living in the Hartford area. I also am a 10 year fan of the AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack.
What is the split between NYR and BOS fans there?

Old
02-13-2007, 10:45 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
In Hamden, (Just north of New Haven) we get NYC's CBS, NBC, ABC, and NBC stations, AND Hartford's local affiliates.

On campus here, we get MSG, YES, SNY, and NESN. They dont black out any baseball games, but they black out about 25 Rangers games...

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:43 PM
mucker*

1) Why do they black out NYR games?
2) Is it still by far and away the Rangers leading the fanbase?

3) In Fairfield County, do they get MSG2 or do you have to pay more?

Old
02-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Burke1

Quote:
I spoke with some B's fan from Groton who told me that in the area it's all B's, it's not consider NYR country.

I find this odd because
1) I am from CT, in Fairfield County, and it's all NYR fans. There are Pats fans but as the NHL goes, zero B's fans.
2) Also the AHL team, Hartford is the Rangers
3) In general CT goes for the NY teams except for football where it's split and extreme Eastern parts of the state.

Is this personf ull of nonsense?
No. This person is not full of nonsense. CT is not a hotbed for the Rangers. Having lived here for over 40 years I can tell you that Southwest CT (Fairfield County and parts of New Haven County) have large Ranger Fan populations. The rest of the State is made up of Hartford Whaler Fans (They still have an active Booster Club), Boston Bruin Fans (Mainly the Northeast and Eastern Counties) and Islander Fans. There are also Montreal, New Jersey and Philadephia Fans. We also have a group that still follows the Carolina Hurricanes. The local media reports on Hockey in general and doesnt focus on any specific team.

The New York Rangers used to play exhibition games in Hartford, but they stopped due to poor ticket sales. The Rangers just could not draw fans to the games in Hartford.

The AHL Team has a small loyal following in Hartford, but that doesn't translate to that following being Ranger Fans. Many are hockey fans that are following the AHL Team because it plays in Hartford and its a cheap ticket. They only average 3800 fans. Many are families looking for something to do with the kids on weekends. I am not sure what the season ticket base is, but I can't imagine that it is huge. I like hockey so I go to their games, however, it lacks the atmosphere that most hockey venues have. Many Hartford Hockey Fans will not support the team and it gets very little media coverage, no TV, and its radio broadcasts are usually bumped by Yankees baseball and CCSU Basketball. The state is looking for new operators of the Hartford Civic Center and rumours abound that the team is not here for that much longer.

College Hockey is big in the state, many former Whaler Fans attend games at QU, Yale or Trinity, all of which sell out their barns on a regular basis. They also attend AHL games in Bridgeport or Springfield which is affilated with Tampa Bay...I see their Jerseys around as well.

As for football, UCONN and Patriots rule the State. We have strong followings for the New York Teams but not as strong as the Pats. UCONN and Pats get most of the media coverage. Jets and Giants are mentioned.

With respect to baseball the state is pretty much 50/50 split between the Yankees and the Sox. There is a group of Mets fans and all three teams are covered by the papers.

MSG is not carried on many cable providers outside of Fairfield County. I cant watch the Islanders v Rangers on Center Ice due to blackout restrictions imposed by MSG. In fact, most Ranger games on Center Ice in the Hartford TV Market are blacked out. In discussions with the NHL I am told that MSG is not happy that CT cable companies will not carry their channel so they block the Center Ice feed for the State. We get NESN and FSNE along with ESPN 1 thru 8. Comcast also provides YES in the Hartford area. Once in a while they do broadcast a games without black out restricitons.

Hope this helps out.

Last edited by Burke1: 02-14-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Burke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
1) Why do they black out NYR games?
2) Is it still by far and away the Rangers leading the fanbase?

3) In Fairfield County, do they get MSG2 or do you have to pay more?
MSG 2 is an "extra" channel and comes free (when needed) to anyone who has MSG.

Old
02-14-2007, 05:35 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
MSG 2 is an "extra" channel and comes free (when needed) to anyone who has MSG.
Weird.
I was up in Fairfield County back in Jan.
I wanted to see the Pens NYI game, however it was on MSG2.
That night MSG had NYR NJ, and FSNY has NYR NJ.
I could not find MSG2 on charter communications.
What channel would that be?