HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Most Annoying TV Hockey Personality?

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 07:42 AM
kings13

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kings13
Ducks games are so bad that I actually have to watch them on mute, or I wouldn't make it through them.

Old
12-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Jim Jackson & Coatesy suck. Him and Coatsey laugh during the entire game. The Coatesy Corner has to be the corniest thing I have even seen in hockey. Dorny is the only one who knows what the hell he is talking about. I know Coatesy is a former player and all but you would never guess it. The guy is clueless.
Coates is so bad. (He's a former career minor leaguer BTW). Coatsey's Corner is pure crap, save for occasional prank like when he put scotch tape on Therien's skates. I don't mind Jackson too much. Dornhoffer is pretty solid, but he's got the personality of a rock most of the time, but I really like how he breaks down plays.

Old
12-09-2003, 07:50 AM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Levy is awesome..

"AND ITS PETR SYORKA!!!!!!!"

Old
12-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

anyone on ESPN is a joke

Old
12-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

In terms of annoyance, I would have to say Darren Dreger of Sportsnet.

When he gives the stage to someone else to talk, like Kypreos, Watters, Morrison or Garrett, this guy always interrupts them with "Yup, yup... yup yup yup..." That is very annoying. Pay attention the next time you see him, it drives me crazy.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:53 AM
Snap Wilson

Terry Crisp, aka Barney the Dinosaur.

I like the Phoenix PbP guy. Great voice.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings13
Ducks games are so bad that I actually have to watch them on mute, or I wouldn't make it through them.
A wonder that you even watch, given your handle.

I used to think the Ducks announcers were bad until I got Center Ice. I have a newfound appreciation for them now.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Satan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
I was hoping I wouldn't be the only one to think this. That guy is ridiculous, plus why can't he pronounce half the names correctly? I mean, it's not like Somik is so hard. You say it how it's written. I think he added a half dozen vowels in there just to have them. "Sooouuumik"...WTF is that?!?! Of course, he also reminded me of the Spanish soccer announcer from the Simpsons, who was getting all worked up over passing the ball back and forth. "Nagyyyyyyy to Suchyyyyyyy back to Nagyyyyyyyyy BACK TO SUCHYYYYY BACK TO NAGYYYYY OH MY GOD I'M HAVING A HEART ATTACK THIS PASSING IS SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Gah! SHUT UP!!!!
It sounds like he's choking when something exciting happens. Then all of his words start to slow down and get blurred.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:33 AM
beerpaul*

Jim Hughson is pretty hard to handle. Jim Ralph and Joe Bowan/Dennis Bayak are too biased for the home side. You'll hear Ralphy whining about the refing when the Leafs are being penalized, but he's quite when the opponents are being called. If you try to listen to these guys call a game on the radio, try to be objective/neutral and listen to how they call a game...it really is mesmerizing. When Joe N. pushed Tom Poti into his own net, directly resulting in Sundin's goal...all that was said by the TO. announcers was that what a great goal that was by Mats. Little, if at all, comments how it should have been a non-goal due to interference. Ditto Brian Duff...with after the game banter. Though I haven't heard many games called by American announcers, for an American team, I like what I've heard so far. They are pretty knowledgeable and they don't fall out of the booth(with out of control exitement...re: Joe Bowan).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Norse Star
Let's hear 'em.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:33 AM
tmg

There is nobody rangers that gets under my skin rangers quite as much as rangers John Davidson rangers . It seems that any discussion rangers he's in, he eventually rangers makes the conversation rangers about the same thing. It's almost rangers subliminal.

The round table discussion could be about a potential 4th-line shakeup on the Manitoba Moose and he'd still somehow make it clear what interest it has to the Rangers management, what impacts it might have on the Rangers, and why Rangers fans should be opposed.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:35 AM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
There is nobody rangers that gets under my skin rangers quite as much as rangers John Davidson rangers . It seems that any discussion rangers he's in, he eventually rangers makes the conversation rangers about the same thing. It's almost rangers subliminal.

The round table discussion could be about a potential 4th-line shakeup on the Manitoba Moose and he'd still somehow make it clear what interest it has to the Rangers management, what impacts it might have on the Rangers, and why Rangers fans should be opposed.
John Davidson is probably one of the best CC men in the league. Yeah. maybe im biased, but its true. Rosen with the PBP is up there too.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:40 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
John Davidson is probably one of the best CC men in the league. Yeah. maybe im biased, but its true. Rosen with the PBP is up there too.
I'm not denying he knows his stuff. It's the fact that he can seldom go a short coversation without steering it Rangers-ward is my complaint. Even when on a non-rangers broadcast (like HNIC's hotstove) he makes the Rangers the topic of conversation far more often than they merit it.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:39 PM
Satan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
John Davidson is terrible IMO. What a homer. The only adjective he knows to describe the Rangers are sharp. They're either sharp or not sharp. Sam Rosen is pretty bad too IMO. He and Davidson laugh about nothing, or nothing anybody would understand. Davidson doesn't understand that the Rangers have an $80 million payroll. He thinks that where they are is fine. I also need to nominate Stan Fischler for not knowing anything about hockey.

Another bad announcer is Mike Lange. Wow. Could you have a more boring voice? His one-liners are awful. Does anyone even understand them?

Old
12-09-2003, 12:48 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
The guy on Empire, right? Buffalo announcer? If so, I listened to one preseason Buffalo game. I will never again. That guy is annoying with a capital A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G. Kotalik sssssccccoooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rreeeeeeeeessss!!

I notice the anti RJ posts come from two Pittsburgh fans who have a local announcer who sounds like he was so stoned he got lost on his way to a Morphine Abusers Convention. He's so boring I don't wonder why no one goes to the Penguins games. I mean if he can't get excited (and he's paid to) about them, why should anyone else?

But, the honor of most annoying announcers go to the homers who work FSN in Detroit, who never actually call the game, but just sit around and talk about how great the Red Wings are. Their bias is so blatant that the game's are nearly unwatchable.

The best guys are definately RJ and Mike Emrick (NJD). They both do a great job especially as they simulcast on radio as well. Emrick is so good that he almost makes the Devils sound like an exciting team to watch play. That's art.

Ta,

Old
12-09-2003, 12:52 PM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic19
As an Avs fan I'll second this, but I do think Mike Haynes, their radio PBP, is pretty damn entertaining.

My nomination for tool of the century would have to be the Sharks' color guy Drew Remenda. Is there anything he won't ***** about when not in his team's favor?
Actually, I disagree. I always thought the SJ guys Hahn and Remenda were actually quite good. They're usually up to speed on the Shark's opponents (including the eastern conf. ones) with only a trace of homerdom.

Ta,

Old
12-09-2003, 03:31 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Norse Star
Let's hear 'em.
I can't stand Greg Millen. He just seems like a starchy, bitter white guy.
Maybe he's angry that he's working the west coast games.

But he's nothing compared to Harry Neale, who has nothing but negative things to say about non-maple leaf players.

Of course, Barry Melrose is a grade A idiot.

And finally, in Detroit, I can't stand Ken Daniels, a former HNIC guy who has the most annoying voice in the league when he gets excited.

Even though Bob Cole is blind, I still love the way he calls a game.
I like HNIC's other play by play guy out west (not the guy who sounds like a depressed video game announcer, the other guy.)

Old
12-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Scottkmlps

Without a doubt, the idiot for the Avs. "Thank you....oh thank you (insert Avs player here)." What the hell is that all about? A suffice, "he shoots, he scores" will work. What an idiot.

Old
12-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
I notice the anti RJ posts come from two Pittsburgh fans who have a local announcer who sounds like he was so stoned he got lost on his way to a Morphine Abusers Convention. He's so boring I don't wonder why no one goes to the Penguins games. I mean if he can't get excited (and he's paid to) about them, why should anyone else?
I third the RJ sentiment. I recognize that he is respected and he's good, but that doesn't mean I have to like him, and I don't. He gets waaaay too excited, and his voice is annoying to me. I liken him to Emerick. They're good, but I can only take so much.

Old
12-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip
The best guys are definately RJ and Mike Emrick (NJD). They both do a great job especially as they simulcast on radio as well. Emrick is so good that he almost makes the Devils sound like an exciting team to watch play. That's art.

Ta,
The Devils actually are an exciting team to watch. Forget about them rarely ever blowing other teams out of the building by 7-0 scores for a moment and focus on the remarkably consistent high-intensity efforts you will witness from Martin Brodeur, Scott Niedermayer, John Madden, Jamie Langenbrunner, Patrik Elias, Brian Gionta, and Scott Stevens to name a few. You have solid hitters, one of the best goaltenders in the game today if not the best, a defense with two rookies playing regularly that can stop the best of the elite 100 point scorers every night, timely scoring, a never say die attitude, and players who back one another to the T who all buy into an incredibly successful team approach. Everyone knows their role. What more can you ask for as a fan of hockey aside from perhaps a true heavyweight fighter for the occasional drop of the gloves? They deserve more credit then they typically get in the media for playing at such a high level all year long then ratcheting it up even further once the playoffs begin imho.

Old
12-09-2003, 05:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
The Devils actually are an exciting team to watch.
Rightt......

They may be playing hard, but its still incredibly boring to watch.

Old
12-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Hockeyfan02

Probably not gonna name anyone new but here goes:

Terry Crisp: Hes just annoying, I cant stand his voice
Av's PBP guy: I like Mcnabb but I cant stand his partner "Thank you, Thank you". Its annoying
Phoenix guy: Hes been covered alreadyyyyyyyyyyy in the this threadddddddd.
Jack Edwards: When was hockey played on a river? Idiot. Had to watch game 3 of the Ducks/Wings series on mute, he killed my excitement for the world cup when the US was doing well.
Bobby "Chief" Taylor: Hes the hometown guy for the Lightning but I've never heard a bigger homer in my life.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:41 PM
Le Golie

MAN. I can't believe there are so many Kurt Kielback haters in here! The guy is a legend in Winnipeg, he called the Jets games forever and was loved by a lot of Jets fans. When the radio station here let him go over a contract dispute there was a huge uproar. The franchise took him back when they moved south. I haven't had the priviledge of hearing him much lately but maybe he's changed his style a bit. He was always very animated but never came off as 'over the top' to anyone here.

And someone said he knows little about hockey. HA, that is totally based on an assumption that he is from the southern US, but it is not true, he's a Winnipegger and VERY knowledgable. God love Kurt Kielback.

My favourites to hate are Harry Neale and Bob Cole. I can't stand Harry Neale announcing how far each shot had to travel to get to the net, especially considering how specific he tries to be and how badly he lacks in accuracy. "Sundin let go a 12 footer (from the top of the circle) that beat Dunham." Shut up and die already Harry, and bring Geriatric Bob Cole with you. He's totally behind on the play and NEVER sees anything but the obvious out there. They miss so many little things that all real hockey fans see. We all watch a replay and clearly see a deflection and they don't see it and credit the defencemen for a perfect shot that fooled the goalie. They are just a joke.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Le Golie

The guys I really like are Chris Cuthbert, Don Whitman and Darren Millard.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan81
John Davidson is terrible IMO. What a homer. The only adjective he knows to describe the Rangers are sharp. They're either sharp or not sharp. Sam Rosen is pretty bad too IMO. He and Davidson laugh about nothing, or nothing anybody would understand. Davidson doesn't understand that the Rangers have an $80 million payroll. He thinks that where they are is fine. I also need to nominate Stan Fischler for not knowing anything about hockey.

Another bad announcer is Mike Lange. Wow. Could you have a more boring voice? His one-liners are awful. Does anyone even understand them?
II can't stand davidson he takes homerism to a whole new level, especially when it c omes ddown to penalties. A ranger could maul a guy & he complains when a penalty is called, but if a ranger gets touched & no call he goes nuts. One of the greatest homerism examples I can think of comes from an Isles Rangers game last year. Early in the game Jason Blake was driving to the net and gets DRILLED into the goalie (I forgot who was in net it may have been Blackburn, but not sure) Their is a penalty on Blake for goaltender interference even though blake was the one PUSHED & DRILLED into the goalie. Davidson starts agreeing with the refs & saying its a good call way to keep the game in line or whatever. Later in the game Holik slams into Osgood (the play that injured Osgood last year), no call was made. The Holik play was borderline & Davidson said their shouldn't have been a call. Now I'm not saying Davidsion was wrong for saying their shouldn't have been a call on Holik because it was borderline, but if your going to say that shouldn't have been no call, how can you say a play when the opposing player was KNOCKED INTO the goalie a penalty for Goaltender Interference. makes no sense. Davisdon does this all the time where a player can do something to a Ranger it has to be a penalty, but if a Rangers does the exact same thing it can't be a penalty and is a disgrace if it is called. BTW the whole Peca Lundmark incident, if you had any doubts if that play was dirty ior not even John Davidson felt it wasn't dirty and deserved a 2 minute minor at MOST, now when someone who is THAT biased admirts it you know the call was pathetic

Old
12-09-2003, 10:51 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface

Don Cherry (If you don't like Canada, go away, or shut up)

???

Are you saying that Cherry is anti-Canada, or are you just paraphrasing his general sentiments?

Closed Thread