HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

A.kostitsyn vs s.kostitsyn

Old
02-12-2007, 07:14 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
A.kostitsyn vs s.kostitsyn

I know it was discussed earlier in the year but now both are dominant player in their league. So who is going to have the best nhl career?

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
I know it was discussed earlier in the year but now both are dominant player in their league. So who is going to have the best nhl career?
Andrei, has much more skills. Sergei will be the type of player used in almost every situation since he plays with a huge drive. Both have all-star wrist shots and a very nice set of hands

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Hard to say at this point. Both players are burning their league at the moment. Andrei just got the AHL player of the week honnour and he's ready for the NHL. He will probably have to wait for a big injury in Montreal or next year to reach the top, but he's close.

Sergei will need at least one season in the AHL and who knows what he'll do there. He's not as strong as Andrei, but he should do alright if Grabovski can perform in the AHL.

As to say wh will be better, I still think that Andrei will be a good one. He has a great vision and can set up many great plays. If only he could use his shot more...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:40 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

For some reason andrei remind me of kovalev in term of skill and heart

Old
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Andrei will be better

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Namso

andrei

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Meaning a lot of the former and none of the latter?

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Don Lever talked in an interview of how Kostytsin has a real strong work ethic for someone his talent, isin't afraid of defending his teammates, his problem wasn't about hearth, he was mostly skating circles wasting energy in a style of hockey he didn't know, he just needed alot of time to fully adjust and he's simply starting to get better

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Talent Analyst

Andrei by far .

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:49 PM
philosophical___

In the AHL, Brett Sterling is a dominant player, Joe Pavelski was dominant, Darren Haydar is dominant, Jason Krog is dominant, Andrei Kostitsyn is not a dominant AHL player.

Sterling: 43 goals, 74 points in 54 games
Pavelski: 26 points in 16 games
Haydar: 30 goals, 89 points in 49 games
Krog: 52 points in 25 games

Kostitsyn: 49 points in 48 games

philosophical___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 07:42 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophical___ View Post
In the AHL, Brett Sterling is a dominant player, Joe Pavelski was dominant, Darren Haydar is dominant, Jason Krog is dominant, Andrei Kostitsyn is not a dominant AHL player.

Dunno man...considering his age and experience in NA, and also the team he's playing on (5th youngest team), I think he's close of dominating it...

And he's dominating it since a couple of weeks...

And don't forget that he had a back injury at the begining of the season and he wasn't playing all that great for around 12 games...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:58 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Kosty was just named ahl player of the week and as 17pts in is last 9game so he is dominating the ahl right now

Old
02-13-2007, 10:23 AM
shortcat1

I'm going to avoid answering the question because I don't really know... with them, it's like comparing apples to oranges... they're both good but in different ways...

What I will say, though, is that wouldn't it be nice to see another Mahovlich brothers kind of situation on the Canadiens team... the boys from Schumacher, Ontario were super contributors to the team when they were together on the team.

I can only dream at this point.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Andrei *looks* like a much better player, sometimes Sergei *plays* like a better player. Strength, skill, polish, moves, shot... I find Andrei to be a significant notch above Sergei in pretty much every area, and now that he has improved his phyiscal play and defense, you'd think he'd blow Sergei right out of the water as a prospect. Sergei tends to be one of those guys who battles and produces a lot, finds all the right ways to do it, but if you tried to break down all his tools separately, well, it ends up being more of a surprise that he does it, whereas it's vice versa for Andrei... you end up surprised that he doesn't produce more than he does.

But let's face it, they're playing at completely different levels and are at completely different stages in their careers, so it's not really time to compare too seriously yet. Andrei is basically an NHL-calibre player right now, while Sergei is in a cushy pond hockey job in the OHL. Tough to compare.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:42 AM
AD

Its like comparing Alexei Kovalev to Ryan Smyth.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

So your saying sergei played a similar style to ryan smyth?

Old
02-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Have you watched Kostitsyn the last...I don't knkow 25-30 games?

He has been a dominant player, both he and Mikhail Grabovski

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:48 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Since january 1st kostitsyn (17-10-10-20) grabovsky (12-5-13-18) they are on fire

Old
02-13-2007, 12:57 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Kostitsyn has been inconsistent, started off poorly had a back injury, came back and played much, much better, has been really hot of late which is why his name will start to come up more.

Three of the four guys you listed play/played for the same team, not knocking them just pointing that out.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
2 - ROC Kaleta, 6:40 - Interference , 2 min (PP)
2 - ROC MacArthur, 6:40 - Fighting , 5 min
2 - ROC Meyer, 6:40 - Roughing , 2 min (PP)
2 - HAM Kostitsyn, 6:40 - Fighting , 5 min

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/game-s...ame_id=1002920

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Billy Kostitsyn = Ryan Smith is a fair comparison, yes. He's a huge hearted player with a gigantic competitive drive. If you could combine that with Andrei's skill you'd have a surefire Hall of Famer. Not that Billy is a bad player mind you... he's just not as skilled as Andrei.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:04 PM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Andrei *looks* like a much better player, sometimes Sergei *plays* like a better player. Strength, skill, polish, moves, shot... I find Andrei to be a significant notch above Sergei in pretty much every area, and now that he has improved his phyiscal play and defense, you'd think he'd blow Sergei right out of the water as a prospect. Sergei tends to be one of those guys who battles and produces a lot, finds all the right ways to do it, but if you tried to break down all his tools separately, well, it ends up being more of a surprise that he does it, whereas it's vice versa for Andrei... you end up surprised that he doesn't produce more than he does.

But let's face it, they're playing at completely different levels and are at completely different stages in their careers, so it's not really time to compare too seriously yet. Andrei is basically an NHL-calibre player right now, while Sergei is in a cushy pond hockey job in the OHL. Tough to compare.
But there in lies the point. Skills mean nothing if they aren't translated into game action. Too exagerate, if skills were the end of and be all of future success, all NHL teams would have to do is put players through drills pre draft and select based on their individual skills ranking.

We've heard the past 3 years that Andrei has all this "skill". I acknowledge that there are other factors ie adjusting to N.A. etc. but as of right now, skill doesn't mean much. Andrei was born without one important attribute that would have made him a definate career NHLer (I'm not saying he still won't). Sergei has heart and intangibles that seem to bring out a good game. Considering Sergei's skills are pretty good too, I'm going to say that Sergei is the one we'll be talking about 5 years from now. (although my heart says that they will both have similar NHL careers at the very least.)

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
But there in lies the point. Skills mean nothing if they aren't translated into game action. Too exagerate, if skills were the end of and be all of future success, all NHL teams would have to do is put players through drills pre draft and select based on their individual skills ranking.

We've heard the past 3 years that Andrei has all this "skill". I acknowledge that there are other factors ie adjusting to N.A. etc. but as of right now, skill doesn't mean much. Andrei was born without one important attribute that would have made him a definate career NHLer (I'm not saying he still won't). Sergei has heart and intangibles that seem to bring out a good game. Considering Sergei's skills are pretty good too, I'm going to say that Sergei is the one we'll be talking about 5 years from now. (although my heart says that they will both have similar NHL careers at the very least.)
Well, it would be stretching both sides to bring in that argument, IMHO... Andrei is more skilled (for now), yes... but it *does* translate into game action too. To the tune of being an AHL All-Star and elite player at that level. (I won't say "dominant" because that's a very extreme word to me). Plus he's not without heart of his own. In his way. Meanwhile, Sergei is of course not without skill either. And as much as we like to appreciate his heart and willingness to go anywhere on the ice at all times, it's not like we're talking about a truly elite legendary heart guy in him either. He's a scoring player who exhibits some heart, which is great to see, but it's not his absolute forte or anything. Bottom line, in those two un-exaggerated schemes, pure skill probably does win out. Andrei is now at a stage where we basically KNOW he will be an NHL player. I don't think we know the same thing about Sergei yet.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:10 PM
trentmccleary

At some point, I will make the bet with myself that I made a year ago... that Sergei Kostitysn will play more NHL games in his career than his brother my sig.
Maybe I'll dig up an old post when AK finally blows his last chance in Mtl and goes back home.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 06:48 PM
FTowwn

Quote:
thats an awful comparison, dont listen to that one.

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote