Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question

Old
02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
Question

Ok I've got a question that no one seems to answer.

What happened to Patrick Stephan? I mean 3 or 4 years ago he was such a promising prospect?

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:02 PM
JennHckyGrrl

Traded before the season started to Dallas along with Jaroslav Modry for Niko Kappenen. Stefan never lived up to his #1 draft pick status. AT ALL...

JennHckyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Really, he was the first overall pick in probably the worst draft in recent (if not all-time) NHL history. My guess is that he would've come out as a 3rd rounder in a better draft. Of course he hasn't even panned out that well.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 07:41 PM
nfieldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Really, he was the first overall pick in probably the worst draft in recent (if not all-time) NHL history. My guess is that he would've come out as a 3rd rounder in a better draft. Of course he hasn't even panned out that well.
And... he just hasn't developed like he was projected to. Happens a lot when you're drafting youngsters.... even worse in baseball.

nfieldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I don't know. I think Alexander Daigle gives Patrick a run for his money for Worst Ever title. I mean, you're right that Patrick's draft year was weak, so that's why I think Daigle is an even bigger disappointment. He got picked ahead of Chris Pronger, Paul Kariya, and Todd Bertuzzi in 1993. The 1993 draft looks pretty bad in hindsight, too, but there were a couple good picks afterward. Looking back at 1999, that was a putrid 1st round class. The Sedins are gettting good, but the rest of the class, Yikes!

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 10:11 PM
nfieldr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
The Sedins are gettting good, but the rest of the class, Yikes!
And, they can dance!

nfieldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 03:21 PM
WHAfanatic

I really don't know that Stefan's draft year being a weak draft has any bearing on this. He was expected to be a star, maybe even superstar, when he was drafted. And I don't recall anyone in hockey at that time disagreeing.

I heard a little bit of insight into why it didn't happen while watching an Oilers/Stars game. The one where Stefan missed the open net from 5' and the Oilers screamed back to tie the game with seconds left. Ray Ferraro, a once upon a time teammate of Stefan's, was the color man on the broadcast. He said that Stefan was very talented and a real nice guy but had an overly-relaxed, easy-going personality. It was this attitude, according to Ferraro, that meant there was no urgency in Stefan's game and slowed his development. Basically, that Stefan couldn't bear down and push himself to be the best he could be. Ferraro felt that the missed empty net was a good example.

WHAfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote