HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Neil

Old
02-12-2007, 11:27 PM
OttawaGM

vCash: 500
You wouldn't want to pay his price. Way too valuable to the team.

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:30 PM
tocchet92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
A Rick Tocchet comparison? for Chris Neil? really?
If you put him on Sid's line, then ya maybe.

That is what I am fishing for. Some opinions on Neil from Sens fans. You think Neil is nowhere near a Tocchet on Sid's line?

Remember, Tocchet put up his best offensive seasons with Mario.

tocchet92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Answer

ya we really dont know what the management values on chris neil .. we can only guess so everyone in here is just gonna lay their opinion on what they desire over chris neil ...

e.g : i desire malkin over neil ...

you can keep crosby because we got spezza ...

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:31 PM
The Fuhr*

I hear that Christensen kid is supposed to be really good. I have watched his game since last time I had a discussion with a Pens fan and he does have a fantatic shot. I'd take him could flourish with Spezza.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:33 PM
tocchet92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I hear that Christensen kid is supposed to be really good. I have watched his game since last time I had a discussion with a Pens fan and he does have a fantatic shot. I'd take him could flourish with Spezza.
Christensen is real good offensively. One dimensional player, not very good defensively and not very tough. Great in the shootouts. I would think that if the Pens ever got Neil, then Christensen would be part of the return package.

Old
02-12-2007, 11:36 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Yeah Tocchet is a bit much. One of my fav players. But playing with Crosby I guess Neil would be Tocchet like. But thats pretty high praise for Neil Too high. Randy MacKay maybe.

Pens fans seem to want Neil riding shotgun with Crosby, but when we put him with Spezza and Heatley last game against the same Habs that made the Pens want Neil, it felt like an outcry, screaming at the coach to put him on the 4th line. You dont know what you've got till its gone?

Chris Neil is one of the rare players left in the league who still plays by the code. And he's fought a lot heavyweights to a draw, even got the best of Cairns and Simon once. And has the speed to hit people. Lee, Neil, 1st for Staal.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:39 PM
EJsens1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzSawLouie View Post
Christensen is real good offensively. One dimensional player, not very good defensively and not very tough. Great in the shootouts. I would think that if the Pens ever got Neil, then Christensen would be part of the return package.
Probably not. Muckler has tended to shed away form perimeter type players in the last few years. Giving up one of our best physical players makes no sense.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
tocchet92

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Chris Neil is one of the rare players left in the league who still plays by the code. And he's fought a lot heavyweights to a draw, even got the best of Cairns and Simon once. And has the speed to hit people. Lee, Neil, 1st for Staal.
There is four players the Pens of course will not trade: Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Fleury. Shero probably wouldn't trade Whitney, but I would.

Anyway, trading away one of those guys would sort of defeat the purpose of acquiring Neil. The Pens need a HW who is able to patrol the ice and protect the "young guns".

Old
02-12-2007, 11:44 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
So how about Christensen and the one and only Ruutu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwqgys1kez8

Ruutu could play for me any day of the week

Old
02-12-2007, 11:47 PM
tocchet92

Quote:
So how about Christensen and the one and only Ruutu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwqgys1kez8

Ruutu could play for me any day of the week
Oh yeah, I like Ruutu. He's well liked by Pens fans. But, if I am Shero, I make this deal in a heartbeat.

Lets call Muckler and git'er done.

Old
02-12-2007, 11:51 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Oh yeah, I like Ruutu. He's well liked by Pens fans. But, if I am Shero, I make this deal in a heartbeat.

Lets call Muckler and git'er done.
Sounds good to be but unfortunately not many of my fellow Sens fans may like that deal.

Old
02-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Ferley

Quote:
Sounds good to be but unfortunately not many of my fellow Sens fans may like that deal.
It would be hard but i might consider it...if it doesnt work out it will be Mucklers head on a silver platter for sure

Ferley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:58 PM
DG

Quote:
Huh? Sought after by Pittsburgh fans on message boards etc. or are there actual rumors of the Penguins seeking to trade for him?
No, no sought out by fans on the boards. They want him to protect and stand up for Crosby. That's what was being said, anyways.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2007, 11:58 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
I don't want Neil oging anywhere unless it's a clear overpayment.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:10 AM
Don Draper

I might be in the minority, but why doesnt Pitts just ride the bus that got them this far (further than anyone anticipated) and throw a bag of money at Scott Hartnell in free agency? Isnt he exactly the type of player that Pitt wants? A guy who can score 30 and is of the old mindset to protect his teammates? I think he would be a great player to throw a 5 year deal at since hes only 25.

Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:51 AM
fras123

i think neil would be great for the pens, theyre in need of another tough guy to beat the crap out of those jokers like blake and lapierre who want to take cheap shots at crosby. i hear theyre looking into laraque as well.

if i were muckler id consider a trade (not that id like to see chris go)but we could probably get a pretty good deal if theyre desperate for a player like neil for the playoffs

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:40 AM
TheFinalWord

First, Neil is not equal to Tocchet. Tocchet may have put up his best numbers playing with Lemieux, but Tocchet was Tocchet and he was IMO more intimidating than Neil.

That being said, Neil on Pittsburgh would be a great addition. He's definitely tough enough to take on all comers and while he may not beat the super heavy's, he can play regularly and be productive. If Ottawa traded him, after being physically overmatched year after year by the Leafs, then Muckler should be fired. Neil is going to be needed for a playoff run, especially if the Sens play the Leafs or some other physical team.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:54 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by fras123 View Post
i think neil would be great for the pens, theyre in need of another tough guy to beat the crap out of those jokers like blake and lapierre who want to take cheap shots at crosby. i hear theyre looking into laraque as well.
if i were muckler id consider a trade (not that id like to see chris go)but we could probably get a pretty good deal if theyre desperate for a player like neil for the playoffs
Another tough guy? This is the same team that earlier this year short-sightedly waived Andre Roy after he played 5 games for them, and basically left themselves with Thorburn, Ruutu, and Orpik as the only guys remotely capable of standing up for anyone.. on a team with assets that definitely need protecting. I'm sure they are interested in Laraque - like Neil, tough guys who can play more than a 5min role are very sought after commodities, and the emergence of Neil's more agitating/hitting role (thanks in large part to McGrattan) has allowed him to expand his role and become more of a well-rounded player. Getting this kind of commodity off of a contender in a playoff drive is unlikely without a fairly hefty overpayment - there's no reason to assume that Muckler is even remotely inclined to shop Neil around. I'm not suggesting he's untouchable, but Pittsburgh would likely find themselves losing an asset they'd rather not lose, as opposed to a player they're seemingly more ready to part with... especially since that's what they're expecting of their trade partner.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 02:58 AM
Answer

what the pens fans need to know is that we are not sellers ...

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 03:10 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
Another tough guy? This is the same team that earlier this year short-sightedly waived Andre Roy after he played 5 games for them, and basically left themselves with Thorburn, Ruutu, and Orpik as the only guys remotely capable of standing up for anyone.. on a team with assets that definitely need protecting. I'm sure they are interested in Laraque - like Neil, tough guys who can play more than a 5min role are very sought after commodities, and the emergence of Neil's more agitating/hitting role (thanks in large part to McGrattan) has allowed him to expand his role and become more of a well-rounded player. Getting this kind of commodity off of a contender in a playoff drive is unlikely without a fairly hefty overpayment - there's no reason to assume that Muckler is even remotely inclined to shop Neil around. I'm not suggesting he's untouchable, but Pittsburgh would likely find themselves losing an asset they'd rather not lose, as opposed to a player they're seemingly more ready to part with... especially since that's what they're expecting of their trade partner.
Roy was a massive cap hit, and the Pens had/have Cairns.

Anyhow, the media's drumming up this Pens-need-an-enforcer chant a little too much. The Pens have a decent amount of team toughness and Crosby's fine.

While Montreal overmatched Pittsburgh physically, the Pens didn't lay down ... they hurt the Habs with their PP, and took a few runs at Koivu in return.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:37 AM
Venom_17

Neil and Corvo for Malone. But you must take Corvo's awful contract.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 07:38 AM
PlayItAgain

There is very little chance a team would be willing to part with the assets it would take to get Muckler to deal Neil.

I can say with almost certainty that even if the Pens were willing to provide those assets, Ottawa won't trade Neil to a potential 1st round oppenent.

Could you imagine having to play against Neil in the first round? McGrattan won't play in the playoffs, so Neil could do his damage at will.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:02 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Roy was a massive cap hit, and the Pens had/have Cairns.
Anyhow, the media's drumming up this Pens-need-an-enforcer chant a little too much. The Pens have a decent amount of team toughness and Crosby's fine.
Well, having/had Cairns doesn't seem to make much of a difference now, another team in cap trouble had no problem taking on Roy's 'massive' cap hit, and it would seem that the team's active interest in a number of teams' enforcers would disagree with your assessment. Sure, it worked out against Montreal when you had almost the whole game to respond, and you're riding the crest of a massive winning streak. What happens when the tide turns a bit, and you're not necessarily on a year-best win streak, and guys like Crosby and Malkin are getting whalloped by the likes of Brendan Witt with the playoffs even closer in the window? What happens if it's too late in a game to retaliate in kind against the Koivu's of the world? Playing a reactionary physical game when it starts coming down to the wire is something of a ticking time bomb - especially when it's the likes of Crosby being targetted. And Ottawa fans know more than a little about having a young, skill-heavy team with lots of promise heading into the playoffs against teams with more experience and toughness.

And regardless of whether you think they need an enforcer or not, that's not going to make it any easier to trade for Chris Neil - it just means you wouldn't do what was necessary to do it.

Old
02-13-2007, 09:09 AM
discostu

I think there is pretty much zero chance of Neil getting traded before the deadline. Pittsburgh may try and add an enforcer at the deadline, but, it won't be someone who can play meaningful minutes like Neil can, which makes their role less valuable.

It it becomes an issue in the playoffs for Pittsburgh, I could see Shero calling Muckler up, seeing what it would take. And, given the value of Neil, the only answer I can see Muckler giving is, that it would take Staal, to get Neil, plus something else.

Yes, it would be an overpayment, and not likely to happen, but, it would be something that might get considered. If Shero buys into the hype that a gritty winger could turn into a Rick Tocchet type player on Crosby's line, then, the offer gets tempting.

Personally, I don't see Neil turning into that level of player, but, he's suprised us before. He still seems unable to get over that scoring hump, to get himself consideration as a full time top 6 forward, rather than the third liner who occassionally gets promoted.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:59 AM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
It it becomes an issue in the playoffs for Pittsburgh, I could see Shero calling Muckler up, seeing what it would take. And, given the value of Neil, the only answer I can see Muckler giving is, that it would take Staal, to get Neil, plus something else.
That seems more than a bit excessive, but it does highlight the fact that this is precisely the time of year that Neil would be the hardest to acquire. I could certainly see a disproportionately handsome package being built around someone like Colby Armstrong or the likes of some of the Penguins' better prospects like Letang or Goglioski. The point is clear enough, though - Shero would be going against the grain in a big way to try to get a deal done with Muckler on this one.