HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toughest Ranger Team You've Ever Seen

Old
02-14-2007, 10:45 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Certainly are getting generous in who you're anointing tough.

Lacroix? (in the 4 games he played)

Driver?

Karpa?

Grosek?

McKenna?

Yikes.
Heh...yeah...not only did some of them play all that much but I guess you can make a case that Driver was in the later part of his career...and Grosek/Lacroix weren't all that tough....but I thought they were. Sure they only played a short period of time....but they were tough guys...there's no denying it

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:24 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Heh...yeah...not only did some of them play all that much but I guess you can make a case that Driver was in the later part of his career...and Grosek/Lacroix weren't all that tough....but I thought they were. Sure they only played a short period of time....but they were tough guys...there's no denying it
Grosek I remember really belting someone who'd highsticked him but that's about all I remember--he was big and strong and kind of lazy. As for Driver he was anything but tough. You might have confused with Schneider about the same size and a puck mover too--not a lot to be feared though but he does have a nasty temperment.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:32 AM
bubba5

try being in 3 bench clearing brawls a season, those teams were tough, teams today are nothing compared to the teams in the 60's 70's and early 80's. Today its figure skating with a puck.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:57 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Grosek I remember really belting someone who'd highsticked him but that's about all I remember--he was big and strong and kind of lazy. As for Driver he was anything but tough. You might have confused with Schneider about the same size and a puck mover too--not a lot to be feared though but he does have a nasty temperment.
Driver was a pretty tough guy...not a big scrapper or anything but played with an edge...but we had him for the later part of his career

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Driver was a pretty tough guy...not a big scrapper or anything but played with an edge...but we had him for the later part of his career

Just leaving you an out. I don't think you're going to get very much agreement on that one.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Driver played with a bit of nastiness in his Devil days(ha, Devil days), but still didn't think he put fear into anyone.

Never liked him, just like James Patrick, Tom Poti, Michal Roszival, etc - serviceable, but just not the type of D-man you give big minutes to.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Driver played with a bit of nastiness in his Devil days(ha, Devil days), but still didn't think he put fear into anyone.

Never liked him, just like James Patrick, Tom Poti, Michal Roszival, etc - serviceable, but just not the type of D-man you give big minutes to.
I agree, and even to say Driver played with some nastiness is a bit of a stretch.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
I agree, and even to say Driver played with some nastiness is a bit of a stretch.
He was a little nasty with the stick. It got worse when he signed with the Rangers cause he couldn't compete with his body(not that he used it often).

Old
02-14-2007, 02:14 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
McPhee was one of my favorites. For a smaller player he could do some damage.
Mine too. I remember him going toe to toe w/ Scott Stevens, back in Stevens Bam-Bam days.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Mine too. I remember him going toe to toe w/ Scott Stevens, back in Stevens Bam-Bam days.
McPhee was tough, and he could play, won the Hobey Baker in 82

Also, he was never drafted, signed as a FA.

I met and got autographs from Dave Maloney & McPhee at a game vs. the Oilers in the mid eighties, they were both out with injuries(shocker).

Too bad he was injury prone.

Old
02-14-2007, 03:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

McPhee always had those stomach muscle pull/groin pull injuries

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Add me to the list. My favorite fight he had was Hospodar down in Philly during the playoffs. Hospodar is killing McPhee early in the fight and all of sudden you see McPhee landing clean punches and the next thing you know, Hospodar is telling the linesmen to break it up. And I think Chadwick's line was something like, "George McPhee will not take a backseat to Eddy Hospodar". It was great!

The next game Hospodar takes a run at Barry Beck after the whistle to get him to go. Beck just smiled and said, F... Y.., F... Y.., I'll let George kick your a..! Hospodar didn't have a reply.

That was one of the first times as a Ranger fan, that I could say they had tougher guys than the Flyers.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Add me to the list. My favorite fight he had was Hospodar down in Philly during the playoffs. Hospodar is killing McPhee early in the fight and all of sudden you see McPhee landing clean punches and the next thing you know, Hospodar is telling the linesmen to break it up. And I think Chadwick's line was something like, "George McPhee will not take a backseat to Eddy Hospodar". It was great!

The next game Hospodar takes a run at Barry Beck after the whistle to get him to go. Beck just smiled and said, F... Y.., F... Y.., I'll let George kick your a..! Hospodar didn't have a reply.

That was one of the first times as a Ranger fan, that I could say they had tougher guys than the Flyers.
Was that the '86 playoffs? That was a mean series. And didn't McPhee fight someone on the Caps the next series and beat him good? Wish it was Langway.......

Last edited by Bluenote13: 02-14-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old
02-14-2007, 04:06 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Wish it was Langway.......
One of the more impressive bouts that year (I think) was Beck and Langway going at it right at center ice. Two capitains who set great examples for their teams.

Old
02-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Was that the '86 playoffs? That was a mean series. And didn't McPhee fight someone on the Caps the next series and beat him good? Wish it was Langway.......
I think it was earlier than that...maybe '83-'84. And the '86 playoffs was a great run by the Rangers.

McPhee also did some damage to Tocchet at the Garden during a playoff series (maybe '86).

For a guy that wasn't big at all, I always gave him a lot of credit for taking on ALL fighters.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:45 PM
True Blue

Quote:
For a guy that wasn't big at all, I always gave him a lot of credit for taking on ALL fighters.
Him and Larouche are two of my faves from the 80's.

Old
02-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Him and Larouche are two of my faves from the 80's.
Ditto.

I loved Larouche too, it was easy, we really didn't have any other offenisive guys to get excited about, until Ridley arrived(then left).

Old
02-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I think it was earlier than that...maybe '83-'84. And the '86 playoffs was a great run by the Rangers.

McPhee also did some damage to Tocchet at the Garden during a playoff series (maybe '86).

Yeah that Tochet fight was game 3 or 4, saw it on a big screen TV at a bowling alley bar in Brooklyn. Good memories.

Langway, now THAT was a guy to hate

Old
02-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Edge

Quote:
He was a little nasty with the stick. It got worse when he signed with the Rangers cause he couldn't compete with his body(not that he used it often).
I still that's a stretch

Bruce Driver always looked like a damn accountant.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:05 PM
turnbuckle*

I never saw him, but the toughest Ranger ever would have to be Davey Crockett would it not?

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:39 PM
ivrydov

Kurtenbach was the most skilled fighter the Rangers ever had, but he didn't initiate trouble. Couple of sidelights on this subject. Ted Irvine was pretty capable too if he had to be, and those genes went to his son Chris Jericho, the wrestler. The worst fight involving Rangers took place off the ice when forward Ron Stewart and goalie Terry Sawchuck got into it at their home, and Sawchuk never recovered. Stewart was cleared of wrongdoing.

ivrydov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:39 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I never saw him, but the toughest Ranger ever would have to be Davey Crockett would it not?
Tougher than Chuck Norris?

Give me a break.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Edge

I always liked the mid to late 90's when it seemed like the team was turning out a line of tough guys.

You already had Langdon, but then you had Vandy, Stock, Cairns coming through the system.

I never would've thought Cairns would've turned himself into the fighter he did, he was so awkward those first few seasons.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I always liked the mid to late 90's when it seemed like the team was turning out a line of tough guys.

You already had Langdon, but then you had Vandy, Stock, Cairns coming through the system.

I never would've thought Cairns would've turned himself into the fighter he did, he was so awkward those first few seasons.
Is Vandy, Ryan Vandenbussche? I was sitting up against the glass where he beat the piss out of Kypreos and ended his career. He was one mean SOB.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

I remember that too...

The problem was Beck did way too much talking and much too little on the physical side,,,He really had no grounds to talk...McPhee, otoh, would take on anybody at anytime..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote