HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

If Crosby was drafted by Anaheim...?

Old
02-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

vCash: 500
If that's the way it went, I think we would be talking about Sidney Crosby trying to lead his Ducks to back to back Stanley cup titles.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Rover*

Yes and selanne would be scoring 70 goals or at the very least it would have been better than a thornton/cheechoo combo.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
It would be pretty funny if he didn't. Not ''haha'' funny, though.
We had a #1 center by the name of Sergei Fedorov at the time. Crosby would not have been the #1 center on that team immediately (no matter how far Sergei's game had fallen at that point). He would have been the #2 probably. Which means Andy Mac probably never has his breakout year unless he was moved to a wing.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Duck View Post
We had a #1 center by the name of Sergei Fedorov at the time. Crosby would not have been the #1 center on that team immediately (no matter how far Sergei's game had fallen at that point). He would have been the #2 probably. Which means Andy Mac probably never has his breakout year unless he was moved to a wing.
Burke would have traded fedorov before the year started. Burke doesn't like the fedorov family.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:46 PM
David Puddy

I think he would be somewhere around what he has done with Pittsburgh. It might even have been a better situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
If Crosby was drafted by the Ducks, and Ducks fans chime in here if I'm wrong, the people of LA would think he was a relative of Bing Crosby.

Seriously.
Are you saying like one of his kids he beat?

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If that's the way it went, I think we would be talking about Sidney Crosby trying to lead his Ducks to back to back Stanley cup titles.
I agree

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
I think he would be somewhere around what he has done with Pittsburgh. It might even have been a better situation.

Are you saying like one of his kids he beat?
No, I'm saying that the people in LA (non-hockey fans) are clueless and will associate Crosby's name with someone in the Entertainment indusrty.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Geese_Howard*

oh hell yah... whos gonna mess with him? you look at him the wrong way you got parros, moen, pronger and beauchemin looking to break your face... oh and that sellane guy aint too bad.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:17 PM
ilovehockey

The same thing would happen in Anaheim as it would in Pittsburgh. He would start off on the 2nd line getting 2nd line minutes, and about 3-4 games into the season all the coaches and management realise he's the best player. Would of he been enough for Anaheim to win the cup last year

Or maybe Hollywood could get to him.

ilovehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1PWR View Post
nope, a lot harder to have 80+ points when you have a team of hall of famers on your team.
Yeah, Crosby would have a tough time putting up the numbers he does playing behind Andy McDonald.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yeah, Crosby would have a tough time putting up the numbers he does playing behind Andy McDonald.
The main question is, wheter or not Carlyle would Give Crosby the number one spot, with decent ice time to prove himself, the same way he did in Pittsburgh.

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Tony_S*

Anaheim would be so dominant!

Tony_S* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:25 AM
johnny_rudeboy

He would have put up this kind of #´rs in any team so yes, he would rock the pond as well.

Sid and Teemu...

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

I don't even want to think what it would be like if Crosby was with Anaheim *sighs*. Luckly it didn't happen yay.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:07 AM
octopi

This is a toughie. As you all remember, Anaheim started doing really well last year, when noone expected it. I'm sure they would have done equally well, probably a bit better with Crosby. He probably would have been given most of the credit for this.

Pointswise, I would think he would have been slightly higher.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:32 AM
WpgPens

As others have said, Burke would have made different roster moves. I would think Crosby would at least be on par with his performance if not better. When you look at the supporting cast that is currently in Anaheim I would figure he could have possibly done a tad better. But then again, would they have signed Selanne, Pronger, Niedermayer etc etc...???

Would the Pens have chosen Ryan with the 2nd pick though??? Probably not, JJ probably would have been the Pens preference if all this came to pass. And would JJ be playing this season if the Pens drafted him instead? Would Malkin have flown the coop and come to America without Crosby there? I would think both the Ducks and Pens would have substantially different rosters.

Changing what was substantially changes what is.

WpgPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_S View Post
Anaheim would be so dominant!
Would they still have been able to acquire Pronger if they got Crosby at the draft? I'm thinking that they may have never swung that deal.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro oop007 View Post
Would they still have been able to acquire Pronger if they got Crosby at the draft? I'm thinking that they may have never swung that deal.
Last year, sans Pronger, they made it to the Western Conference finals, they would dominate.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:59 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Sid could be drafted on any team he still would be leading the NHL in points. He's that good. Plus what Coach wouldn't create an offense around him anyway?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Some other good Crosby-to-Anaheim rhetoric:

How would the Penguins be doing? Without Crosby, would they have been more likely to move?

Would Crosby in Anaheim lead to a Gretzky-in-LA-like effect?

Would the West still be complaining about the schedule?

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks19 View Post
The main question is, wheter or not Carlyle would Give Crosby the number one spot, with decent ice time to prove himself, the same way he did in Pittsburgh.
Yes, but if you recall, Anaheim wasn't exactly a powerhouse at the beginning of 2005-06. It would have been arrogant and counterproductive for Carlyle not to have given the prize of the draft a shot at least.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:16 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst233 View Post
Would the West still be complaining about the schedule?
Perhaps not, but, would the league as a whole have a different perspective on the schedule when there would only be two Crosby-Ovechkin matchups every 3 years? It would definitely change the arguements in the debate at the very least.

As for Anaheim, even the most stubborn coach would have Crosby as the centrepiece of their offence by this point. Crosby may have had to spend more time earning his ice time at the beginning, but, the talent is undeniable. Even in the most competitive environment for ice time, he'd be on the top two lines, with both lines getting approximate minutes, and be on the top powerplay unit.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Here's another angle: Would Crosby's stats be lower because he's in the West, playing against stonger goaltending (and only 1 game a year, if that, against Philly?)

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Here's another angle: Would Crosby's stats be lower because he's in the West, playing against stonger goaltending (and only 1 game a year, if that, against Philly?)
Depends which divison he would have been in. On some teams, in some divisions, I think the points would have been harder to come by, and on other teams, easier.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:48 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
The East is only scoring at a 6% rate higher than the West, so, I doubt that it would have too serious of an impact.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote