HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Can Svitov become the next Holik

Old
02-13-2007, 09:02 AM
The Fuhr

vCash: 500
Can Svitov become the next Holik

I was having a discussion with a freind and my contention is that Svitov has all the skills to become a 20 goal 40 point, nasty shut down center. Am I overrating his abilities? or does Svitov have the potential to become the next Holik?

The Fuhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
It depends on how he's developed.

(Trade him to NJ and we'll find out. )

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:56 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

He's really developing nicely. The shift he had that led to his goal against Chicago was an amazing shift. He's got a shot.

02-13-2007, 10:29 AM
cbjfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
He's really developing nicely. The shift he had that led to his goal against Chicago was an amazing shift. He's got a shot.
Yes, that was an amazing shift he had....if Hitchcock ever wanted to prove to the rest of the team the importance of hard work and determination, that would be the video clip to break out.

Also, it was pretty funny when the Chicago defensemen tried to freeze the puck by laying on it...Svitov would not let him...he pushed him across the ice....I did not know that Svitov was interested in curling

cbjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:35 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
He's big, strong, mean, and has some offensive ability. He's the ideal third line center.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:46 AM
No Quarter

I personally wouldn't want him to become another Holik.
Holik is and always was an overrated, overhyped, overpaid piece of crap that hung on Jagr and Riechels coattails and carried that label throughout his whole career.
Besides taking the occaisional cheapshot on the oppositions star players he brings absolutely zilch to the game of hockey.
Holik should be playing in the AHL or in Europe right now but some jackass GM will always shell out the big bucks to overrated goofs like that.
So if you want to see Svitov turn out to be a Holik clone, I can dig it.

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
I personally wouldn't want him to become another Holik.
Holik is and always was an overrated, overhyped, overpaid piece of crap that hung on Jagr and Riechels coattails and carried that label throughout his whole career.
Besides taking the occaisional cheapshot on the oppositions star players he brings absolutely zilch to the game of hockey.
Holik should be playing in the AHL or in Europe right now but some jackass GM will always shell out the big bucks to overrated goofs like that.
So if you want to see Svitov turn out to be a Holik clone, I can dig it.
I think the perception is wrong here. Players like Jagr and Reichel need players on their lines that can ensure that the opposition stays honest. Especially Reichel, and Bobby Holik was the perfect fit for that. Where he lacked in offensive ability, which is weird considering 300 goals and 700 points, he made up for in tenacity and doing the dirty work for his lines. He's the type of player that made lines work.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:27 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
I think the perception is wrong here. Players like Jagr and Reichel need players on their lines that can ensure that the opposition stays honest. Especially Reichel, and Bobby Holik was the perfect fit for that. Where he lacked in offensive ability, which is weird considering 300 goals and 700 points, he made up for in tenacity and doing the dirty work for his lines. He's the type of player that made lines work.
dont forget the fact that he played the of the shut down guy and was a 3rd liner.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Victory Ali*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Am I overrating his abilities? or does Svitov have the potential to become the next Holik?
I think the cap would prevent him from making nine million.

Victory Ali* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:36 PM
itshomerdoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Ali View Post
I think the cap would prevent him from making nine million.
Blasphemy! This is Svitov we're talking about here. He does what he wants.

itshomerdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 12:41 PM
X0ssbar

Hitch has compared him to Handzus although he has more of an edge to him game than Handzus. If you asked me this question last year I would have been happy if the guy could just keep up in the NHL....that said, he has really taken his game to a new level this year and is playing a good honest two way NHL game.

He's still got a ways to go and he'll never be a 'star' but a good solid NHL game with a 20g/20a offensive output might be in the cards for this kid in the next couple of years.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
He was drafted pretty high. Wat was his initial scouting report? Was he drafted solely for his scoring ability?

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Alain Racette

^
I would assume he was. But I love the way he plays now with his grit! He brings new meaning to the term "Russian Bear"!

Alain Racette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I was having a discussion with a freind and my contention is that Svitov has all the skills to become a 20 goal 40 point, nasty shut down center. Am I overrating his abilities? or does Svitov have the potential to become the next Holik?
Maturation on his part.

Patience on the part of the Blue Jackets.

It's paying off.

Love to see a guy written off repeatedly here by age 20 finding his way in the NHL.

Answer to your question: yes, the comparison is solid, IMO.

And Bobby Holik, in his day, was a very important piece of a perennial contender.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 01:49 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
I'd say it's entirely possible

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
God Bless Canada

I don't think Svitov will become another Holik. He's definitely behind Holik's development curve for this stage in their respective careers. At this point in their respective careers (nearly six years after their draft year), Holik was a three-time 20-goal scorer. He elevated his status that spring with his role on the infamous Crash Line as New Jersey won the Stanley Cup.

At his peak, Holik was one of the most sought-after players in the league. Every GM wanted him. He was the prototypical two-way power centre - a big, strong pivot who could dominate physically and defensively, yet he had the talent to hover around the 20-goal, 60-point mark on an annual basis. If New Jersey would have won the Cup in 2001, Holik probably would have won the Conn Smythe. He was that good.

Svitov's career turnaround is remarkable. At this time a year ago, many were writing him off as a bust, and those that didn't had him rated as a disappointment. I think he'll be a strong third line power centre. I don't think he has the anticipation or the defensive awareness of a Holik or a Handzus, the playmaking ability of a Handzus or the shot of a Holik. He will not be as good as those two. He will turn into a strong two-way power centre, but he's definitely a big step behind an in-his-prime Holik.

He won't justify the third overall pick, but he appears to be on his way to a respectable career as the type of centre that GMs want.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 03:50 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I'd say it's entirely possible

aahahahahahaa

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Racette View Post
^
He brings new meaning to the term "Russian Bear"!
You rang?

That year of no hockey after getting drafted did untold damage to his future game. He has some offensive tools, like a killer wrist shot, but he doesn't have the confidence in it.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 07:33 PM
MarkusNaslund19

When he was drafted he was basically called a 'Holik clone' in a few publications that I read...it looks like he's beginning to fulfill those expectations.

As an aside, and referring to what a past poster said, does anyone think that the fact that Chistov and Svitov have both struggled thus far in their career is directly attributable to the year they spent in Russian limbo (and couldn't play)?

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Bam Beet*

The few times I've seen him play I've been very impressed. He is huge and skates pretty well. He hits and he even fought one game I saw (against Vancouver). I'd take him on my team anyday.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:01 AM
SensAndy77

Send a message via ICQ to SensAndy77
Hes big and almost as ugly as Holik so Id say yes he can.

SensAndy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Oligarch55

Hello everyone. Im a new here...
Speaking about Svitov...As soon as this season has begun, Svit has not spent a lot of time on the ice...4 minutes for game...
That is not enough to show everyone what you can really do.
Head coach did not did not trust in him, did not allow to play.
Then Hitch came. And situation changed. He believes in him. Gives him time to play and now we all can see the result. And it is not his limit!
I bet Svitov gonna score in the next game and CBJ win

Oligarch55 is offline   Reply With Quote