HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

is Theodore the new Jim Carey?

Old
02-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Haddock

vCash: 500
It's too easy to judge Theo for his lifestyle and habits outside the rink. Let's see:

Father and brothers jailed

Father-in-law guilty of sex abuse on a then-child sensation, jailed

Girlfriends gives birth, complications ensues, numerous trips to children's hospital

He uses a product for his receding airline and it ends up in front page, as if he had a freakin' chance at cracking the olympic team that season anyway

I'm not trying to excuse everything he did, I'm sure he made some bad choices like any young guy. I just think that I would have made a load of weird decisions and choices if all of this happened to me in a short time span and I had to live it all in the public eye. The move to Colorado probably helped even if his stats this year are far from great. The best that can happen to him now is to be bought out next summer by the Avs and sign a one-year deal in a non-hockey market and try to redeem himself. The problem right now is his crazy salary. I'd take a chance on him for a small amount.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectionX View Post
Both were brilliant to later fall like a rock.
I am voting your avatar as one of the best on HF

And I agree with what people are saying in this thread. Theo was such an opportunist singing that jumbo contract. Unbelieavable.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
I am voting your avatar as one of the best on HF

And I agree with what people are saying in this thread. Theo was such an opportunist singing that jumbo contract. Unbelieavable.
Yeah! What an opportunist! You would have turned it down right?

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Blades 0f Steel

May not be our business to speculate, but perhaps Theo's legacy will be that of a rock star that has a couple of big albums and then phones the rest of them in to fulfill his contract.

Maybe he's satisfied with the Hart and being a multi-millionaire with a reasonable amount of fame. Maybe he's still trying his hardest and he can't regain the mental toughness. Maybe he's just not in the same physical condition or parts have been worn down. We don't know.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Inferno1

I thought you guys were talking about Jim Carey, the comedian and actor! Doh

Inferno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I thought you guys were talking about Jim Carey, the comedian and actor! Doh
I which case, no. Because Theo hasn't starred in a dozen vanity pic oscar begs.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I which case, no. Because Theo hasn't starred in a dozen vanity pic oscar begs.
Hate him for the Cable Guy, love him for Eternal Sunshine.

Though I must say Tom Hanks will never be remembered for his best work, Busom Buddies.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post

Though I must say Tom Hanks will never be remembered for his best work, Busom Buddies.
Bachelor Party

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Big Phil

Theodore had one remarkable season in '01-02. He was Canada's thrid string goalie on the World Cup team (after Belfour backed out). Carey was run out of the league in a short time Theo hasnt been. Both in '02 and '04 he stole playoff series away from Boston. He hasnt been very successful altely though. When the biggest news you have is being spotted with Paris Hilton then you've got to work better on your game. Still he's no Carey

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 07:17 PM
theprogoalie777

Send a message via MSN to theprogoalie777
Theodore

Theodore used to be good when he was on the Canadiens but now since he is with the avalanche no one has really nodiced him.

theprogoalie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Worst case scenario and paid accordingly, Theodore become a good backup....something Carey would not even be good at.....

Somebody brought Potvin in the conversation, and that's definately more like it.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 07:25 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

who didnt love ace ventura, but theodore was better than that other carey

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:27 PM
MarkusNaslund19

I agree that Theodore's career has been much better than Carey's. However, I raise issue with people saying that Carey had 'one' good season...his first season 94-95 was a brilliant year within which he basically carried the capitals to the playoffs and finished 3rd in calder voting behind Forsberg and Kariya.

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Phousse

Quote:

I don't know why so many people hated The Cable Guy. That movie was awesome.

By the way, to everyone else, Jim Carey was the goaltender, Jim Carrey is the actor/comedian.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:27 AM
YoungJagr

Quote:
A better comparison would be Felix Potvin.
First thing that came to mind.

YoungJagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:01 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Bachelor Party
I second that, I hate whenever they do a piece on Hanks and they never even mention that one along with Gump and Philadelphia.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Rover*

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Theodore has been awesome this year....when playing against the canucks..

3-0 against the canucks with a 1.51 GAA and .950 SV%.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:23 AM
HackandLube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
It's too easy to judge Theo for his lifestyle and habits outside the rink. Let's see:

Father and brothers jailed

Father-in-law guilty of sex abuse on a then-child sensation, jailed

Girlfriends gives birth, complications ensues, numerous trips to children's hospital

He uses a product for his receding airline and it ends up in front page, as if he had a freakin' chance at cracking the olympic team that season anyway

I'm not trying to excuse everything he did, I'm sure he made some bad choices like any young guy. I just think that I would have made a load of weird decisions and choices if all of this happened to me in a short time span and I had to live it all in the public eye. The move to Colorado probably helped even if his stats this year are far from great. The best that can happen to him now is to be bought out next summer by the Avs and sign a one-year deal in a non-hockey market and try to redeem himself. The problem right now is his crazy salary. I'd take a chance on him for a small amount.
You forgot spent the night with Paris Hilton

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:32 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Theodore had a longer history of being an effective NHL player (both as a starter and a back-up) before his breakout season, and has stayed in the league longer afterwards.

Theodore, for all his troubles, is still in the NHL. With that contract, and being on a team like Colorado, that before the cap, had no problems spending money to win, could easily solve their problems by putting Theodore in the minors and saving the cap room, but, they haven't. It means they still see him as a valuable back-up.

It's still not the greatest career path that you'd hope for out of a Vezina and Hart winner, but, he's not at Jim Carey's level. Take out the Hart winning season, and he still has something that resembles a decent NHL career. You can't say that about Carey.
Not this again... They could put him in the minors and save on the cap space, but cap or no cap try going up to the owner and admitting you made a colossal mistake taking on a 15 million dollar contract. That also meant you couldnt sign a star player like Blake or keep Tanguay which pissed off the fans, and whom might have been enough to get into the playoffs which means even more revenue lost.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Homer J. Leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Tanner View Post
Theo plays behind one of the worst defenses in the NHL.
He's not that bad of a goaltender, he's just overpaid.

I don't think him and Carey are a fair comparison.
Finally someone said it! Colorados deffence is simply pathetic, I do watch a few Avs games and every time it is so painfull to watch that team. I really feel sorry for the guys at the back end: no help from the forwards AT ALL!!!
At what makes me angry that they don't care!

Homer J. Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent View Post
Theodore had two good and some mediocre seasons. Carey has one good and that was that.
I don't think people remember Jim Carey properly.

Carey had 2 good seasons. He finished second in the Calder voting his rookie year, and third in the Vezina Trophy voting. (1994-1995)
He won the Vezina the following year, and finished 8th in voting for the Hart. (1995-1996)

He went to Boston, stunk it up for the end of 96-97, and 97-98.

In 98-99 he had a GAA of 2.33 in the AHL for the P-Bruins, not too shabby.

He went to St. Louis, and had a career ending injury at the age of 24 after 6 games in their system. Had he not had that injury, he'd probably still be around today, he's only 32.

Did he have a couple of bad years? Yeah, but he seemed to be bouncing back before an injury forced him to retire. Because he was so young when he developed, people don't realize that he still had plenty of time to correct his game.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:40 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Not this again... They could put him in the minors and save on the cap space, but cap or no cap try going up to the owner and admitting you made a colossal mistake taking on a 15 million dollar contract. That also meant you couldnt sign a star player like Blake or keep Tanguay which pissed off the fans, and whom might have been enough to get into the playoffs which means even more revenue lost.
The same issue applied with Carey. There was no cap space issue, but, the Bruins had to admit that they made a big mistake in acquiring him. But, his play was so bad, that it was a mistake that couldn't be denied.

Theodore's still an NHL player. Not a great one, but, enough talent that he can land a job as a back-up in the league still.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Tanner View Post
Theo plays behind one of the worst defenses in the NHL.

He's not that bad of a goaltender, he's just overpaid.

I don't think him and Carey are a fair comparison.
I don't believe the worst d-men of the league would have been able to shutdown the Ducks. But then if it was only the Budaj's show, it also proves to you that what Budaj can do, Theo can't.

Besides, while I agree this defense is pretty average (but then so is the Habs defense), Budaj was able to save their ass on a lot of occasions already, something Theo is not able to do.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I don't think people remember Jim Carey properly.

Carey had 2 good seasons. He finished second in the Calder voting his rookie year, and third in the Vezina Trophy voting. (1994-1995)
He won the Vezina the following year, and finished 8th in voting for the Hart. (1995-1996)

He went to Boston, stunk it up for the end of 96-97, and 97-98.

In 98-99 he had a GAA of 2.33 in the AHL for the P-Bruins, not too shabby.

He went to St. Louis, and had a career ending injury at the age of 24 after 6 games in their system. Had he not had that injury, he'd probably still be around today, he's only 32.

Did he have a couple of bad years? Yeah, but he seemed to be bouncing back before an injury forced him to retire. Because he was so young when he developed, people don't realize that he still had plenty of time to correct his game.
Speaking of which, what's Dan Blackburn up to nowadays? That guy was the ****.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Yeah! What an opportunist! You would have turned it down right?
You have no idea what I said. His MVP season came at the most opportune time in his life: contract year. Then the sat his ass on it not a worry in the world.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote