HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peterson and Lupul...

Old
02-13-2007, 08:53 PM
oildesi99

vCash: 500
Peterson and Lupul...

Toby Peterson....i just dont get it...like really trying to understand. Like, what kind of threat is he....he is literally Todd Marchant with less skill. Do you think Dave Lewis is like "uugghh....i guess we'll guess we'll counter act Peterson with Chara...do we even have an option"

And is there a puck sized hole on Lupuls blade? i dont know if anyone else has notice but he cant handle a hard breakout pass. I still do like Lupul, tools are there but he is EXTREMELY weak on the puck, i havent seen him win many battles along the boards, at least he has fight in him but his core muscles are brutal, maybe a summer with Horc can help his strength.

Thoughts?

oildesi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:00 PM
mvprimate

lupul had a good game tonight...

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildesi99 View Post
Toby Peterson....i just dont get it...like really trying to understand. Like, what kind of threat is he....he is literally Todd Marchant with less skill. Do you think Dave Lewis is like "uugghh....i guess we'll guess we'll counter act Peterson with Chara...do we even have an option"

And is there a puck sized hole on Lupuls blade? i dont know if anyone else has notice but he cant handle a hard breakout pass. I still do like Lupul, tools are there but he is EXTREMELY weak on the puck, i havent seen him win many battles along the boards, at least he has fight in him but his core muscles are brutal, maybe a summer with Horc can help his strength.

Thoughts?
Atleast Petersen drew 2 bruin penalties.. Speaking of being extremely weak on the puck and a waste of a body on the PP.. what u think of Nedved?

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:05 PM
OntOilFan

Goalies and defenseman seriously must laugh a little when they see Toby Peterson hop the boards for a PP.

Uh oh... it's TOBY!!!

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Heavy Dee

get off Petersens back everyone...he doesnt jump over the boards at his own discretion...he's become the coach's favorite son....the only thing that would make him more of a favorite would be if he were allowed to play with no helmet..

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:16 PM
imkinger

Petersen played well. Lupul, Nedved and Hemsky played like ****. The rest of the team was average.

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:18 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Goalies and defenseman seriously must laugh a little when they see Toby Peterson hop the boards for a PP.

Uh oh... it's TOBY!!!
Certainly pint-sized Toby brings his full half-a-quart of light weight Oil but that just ain't generating enough torque.

EXELBY just humbled by PRIMEAU, gotta love that Flames trade for their fans!

OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:19 PM
GSC

Quote:

Uh oh... it's TOBY!!!
Hemsky had a perfect opportunity to make a pass into the slot to hit Petersen on the PP, and as a result held on to the puck longer

IT'S TOBY TIME!!!!!

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:20 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootler View Post
get off Petersens back everyone...he doesnt jump over the boards at his own discretion...he's become the coach's favorite son....the only thing that would make him more of a favorite would be if he were allowed to play with no helmet..
Petersen is a plug, and he plays on the PP...therefore, we refuse to rest until that changes.

Old
02-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
Petersen is a plug, and he plays on the PP...therefore, we refuse to rest until that changes.
he plays left point on the PP.. find another right hand shot plug to replace him or give it a rest.

Old
02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkinger View Post
Petersen played well. Lupul, Nedved and Hemsky played like ****. The rest of the team was average.
I agree that Petersen played pretty well.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:27 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lander View Post
he plays left point on the PP.. find another right hand shot plug to replace him or give it a rest.
get rid of the stupid 5-forward PP, then I'll give it a rest. he has NO BUSINESS out there, NONE.

Old
02-13-2007, 09:28 PM
alanschu

Quote:
get rid of the stupid 5-man PP, then I'll give it a rest. he has NO BUSINESS out there, NONE.
You're suggesting we only play our PP with 4 people?

Old
02-13-2007, 09:30 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
You're suggesting we only play our PP with 4 people?
edited...but hey, I'd rather have a pylon out there than Petersen.

the pylon can certainly make a better break-out pass

Old
02-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
get rid of the stupid 5-man PP, then I'll give it a rest. he has NO BUSINESS out there, NONE.
and who would u like on the left point? smith...staios....smid... greene.. hejda...

we can put MAB there but he would be useless without his onetimers.. and he sucks at passing and keeping the play onside.

MAB can replace Sykora if u dont want the 5-forward pp.

Old
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
mvprimate

Quote:
and who would u like on the left point? smith...staios....smid... greene.. hejda...

we can put MAB there but he would be useless without his onetimers.. and he sucks at passing and keeping the play onside.

MAB can replace Sykora if u dont want the 5-forward pp.
How many onetimers have you seen peterson take from the point?

How many shots has peterson got on net?

The hand he shoots with is irrelevant because the only point shot i remember toby taking was a weak wrister into a boston player's shin pad.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

See this is exactly the problem with Peterson.

He does a lot of good things in the defensive zone, so he will always get icetime because of that. And he can also carry the puck and has some speed, so it looks like he should be getting some points. But he just never does.

He's like a better defensive Salmo. Just enough speed and hands to get you excited. However, and here is where the problem lies, Peterson also has the backend credentials to stay in the lineup and contribute on a near nightly basis.

So we keep giving him chance after chance, because he brings all the "he has to score sometime" that Salmo had, mixed with a bunch of "Moreau is hurt and we need a PK". Mix in a lot of like-ability and coach-ability, and you have a perfect storm to blindside a coach.

And since MacT can't see this, he will keep giving him chance after chance, after chance, after chance, after chance, after chance, after chance.....

Peterson has a role as a PK first 4th liner that can toss in 5 min of ES with his 5 of PK. That is it. Us trying to use him like an all-star would have hit insane a while back according to Ben Franklin's definition.

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:42 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
See this is exactly the problem with Peterson.

He does a lot of good things in the defensive zone, so he will always get icetime because of that. And he can also carry the puck and has some speed, so it looks like he should be getting some points. But he just never does.

He's like a better defensive Salmo. Just enough speed and hands to get you excited. However, and here is where the problem lies, Peterson also has the backend credentials to stay in the lineup and contribute on a near nightly basis.

So we keep giving him chance after chance, because he brings all the "he has to score sometime" that Salmo had, mixed with a bunch of "Moreau is hurt and we need a PK". Mix in a lot of like-ability and coach-ability, and you have a perfect storm to blindside a coach.

And since MacT can't see this, he will keep giving him chance after chance, after chance, after chance, after chance, after chance, after chance.....

Peterson has a role as a PK first 4th liner that can toss in 5 min of ES with his 5 of PK. That is it. Us trying to use him like an all-star would have hit insane a while back according to Ben Franklin's definition.
that plug got 20 FRICKING MINUTES of ice-time tonight.

Old
02-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvprimate View Post
How many onetimers have you seen peterson take from the point?

How many shots has peterson got on net?

The hand he shoots with is irrelevant because the only point shot i remember toby taking was a weak wrister into a boston player's shin pad.
the hand he shoots from helps him keep the puck in the zone AND make passes. his role is very limited on the PP just like everyone else on the unit.. how many onetimers have us seen hemsky shoot? and how many shots has hemsky gotten on the net? smyths job is to be in front of the net.. sykora's to look for a onetimer.. petersens is to keep the puck moving in the offensive zone. he isnt the PP QB and doesnt have to be creative..

Old
02-13-2007, 10:11 PM
alanschu

Man, I really wish I hadn't gone out with friends and actually recorded every aspect of everyone of his shifts tonight.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvprimate View Post
lupul had a good game tonight...
And still didn't result in anything. The guy just can't win battles against other players consistently.

Players I want replaced with better ones:

Smith, Nedved, Petersen, Bergeron, Reasoner (can't score)

Players playing below their value:

Pisani, Sykora

Players that have roon to grow so mistakes are forgiven:

Greene, Smid, Hedja, Thoresen, Pouliot, Lupul (1 year grace)

Player getting a raw deal:

Winchester

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:20 PM
BleedOil83

Petersen's been very good lately. If he plays 82 games like he played the last 2-4, I'll take him as a fourth line player until he retires. Other than moving the puck around, he's useless on the PP though.

Mac-T does have a man crush on him, but the reason he gets so much ice (tonight especially) is because he plays all 3 situations regularly. Same reason Shaggy fooled everyone into thinking he was our #1, playing all those minutes.

I'm kind of scared for when Stoll, Fernie, Moreau, and Tjarnqvist come back. I almost know they're going to keep Petersen Nedved and Shaggy in the lineup over guys like Pouliot and Berg/Smid/Greene/Hejda. I almost know that one of those four comes out when Daniel comes back and I freaking hate it.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:25 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
And still didn't result in anything. The guy just can't win battles against other players consistently.

Players I want replaced with better ones:

Smith, Nedved, Petersen, Bergeron, Reasoner (can't score)

Players playing below their value:

Pisani, Sykora

Players that have roon to grow so mistakes are forgiven:

Greene, Smid, Hedja, Thoresen, Pouliot, Lupul (1 year grace)

Player getting a raw deal:

Winchester
I know it's been said before but Reasoner doesn't have to score to be effective. Granted, he's been playing his game poorly for the last month or so, but up until then he was really solid in his role. I bet if he played with offensive guys on a regular shift, he'd pot a few. He showed flashes in Boston last year with their top guys.

Pisani had turned the corner until he got smoked. I only expect him to continue the trend. Has worked hard all year, been solid defensively, and is now starting to turn his offensive game around.

Winchester sucks. He was awesome for the first 10-15 games but became absolutely listless afterwards. Would've been long in the minors if not for his 1-way deal.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:45 PM
VoiceOfReason

Quote:

Uh oh... it's TOBY!!!
Quote:
edited...but hey, I'd rather have a pylon out there than Petersen.

the pylon can certainly make a better break-out pass
Proof that short-sighted bandwagon jargon is contagious.

VoiceOfReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:19 PM
NMK

Quote:
Isn't Bergeron a Righty? Doesn't he have a cannon?

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote