HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My view from in front of the big screen

Old
02-13-2007, 10:15 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
My view from in front of the big screen

I haven't posted this for awhile but this game made me very angry.

There was absolutely no heart and no desire to win this game.

Sure they directed 31 shots at Thomas but name three times in the game that the Oilers had any traffic in front of the net or going to the net?

A play that exemplified this. Nedved makes a great move getting by a defender and works himself into the slot. Instead of driving to the net where there is only one Boston Bruin who was off balance, Torres and Staios who had obviously left the point to create offence just coasted towards the net but never actually got there, Thomas juggled the puck so if one of them would have hustled they could have perhaps got the rebound but no chance of that, they were both coasting.

All night long it was the same, Hemsky makes a great pass to Sykora who is in the slot, Toby Peterson is standing three feet away from the net on the goal line. No chance the puck is going to go there on the rebound.

They showed no desire to pay the price, Boston had an easy night defending and Thomas will never have an easier shutout.

It was a game devoid of effort, emotion and paying the price and for a team six point back of a playoff spot that really says a lot and none of it is good!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:23 PM
GSC

couldn't agree more...no effort or fire to speak of out there tonight.

but we got to witness the Toby Petersen show, and that alone has GOT to be worth the price of admission/cable bill.

I'm fed up with the Craigs more so than anything else. how do you breakup a line that it up against Atlanta? how do you continue to run an ineffective 5-man PP? the best breakout on the 0/7 PP came, GASP, with Staios making the pass out of his own zone!

R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:23 PM
canadave

I know it's a disappointing loss, but come on--I think you're being way too harsh. We really only lost 2-0 if you discard the EN goal, both goals coming on two consecutive silly stick fouls. Other than those two goals, we totally outplayed them. Their goalie stood on his head. What can you do? These things happen.

No heart and desire? Really? It sure looked like they were trying to me. You really think guys were dogging it, with so much at stake? Name names, please, because I'd be curious to know who you observed being lazy.

As far as going to the net and creating traffic goes, they were buzzing around the net all night. There were plenty of times where there were crazy bounces around the net and we almost buried it because we had at least two guys within a couple of feet of the net

If anything, it was our PP that killed us. We had a couple with some good chances, but we really needed a goal. But then again, their goalie stood on his head. Just one of those bad nights at the office....

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:27 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
couldn't agree more...no effort or fire to speak of out there tonight.

but we got to witness the Toby Petersen show, and that alone has GOT to be worth the price of admission/cable bill.

I'm fed up with the Craigs more so than anything else. how do you breakup a line that it up against Atlanta? how do you continue to run an ineffective 5-man PP? the best breakout on the 0/7 PP came, GASP, with Staios making the pass out of his own zone!

R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D.
I could have named 7 other plays, Toby is certainly not the only player culpable. The only player that went to the net all night was Ryan Smyth.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:29 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
I know it's a disappointing loss, but come on--I think you're being way too harsh. We really only lost 2-0 if you discard the EN goal, both goals coming on two consecutive silly stick fouls. Other than those two goals, we totally outplayed them. Their goalie stood on his head. What can you do? These things happen.

No heart and desire? Really? It sure looked like they were trying to me. You really think guys were dogging it, with so much at stake? Name names, please, because I'd be curious to know who you observed being lazy.

As far as going to the net and creating traffic goes, they were buzzing around the net all night. There were plenty of times where there were crazy bounces around the net and we almost buried it because we had at least two guys within a couple of feet of the net

If anything, it was our PP that killed us. We had a couple with some good chances, but we really needed a goal. But then again, their goalie stood on his head. Just one of those bad nights at the office....
against one of the worst teams in the NHL? unacceptable.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:31 PM
mvprimate

I really wonder why pouloit wasn't getting more icetime. He was hitting and was effective.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:33 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvprimate View Post
I really wonder why pouloit wasn't getting more icetime. He was hitting and was effective.
Pouliot, Stortini...anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Old
02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

Name three quality chances in the third period when there was traffic? I can answer that for you as I was so frustrated I decided to count them. ONE! That's all. Ryan Smyth was in front of the net and Horcoff missed the net on the rebound

On the rest of their shots there was no traffic and not one player drove hard to the net after a shot.

Down 2-0 that is not what I want to see!

Old
02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
GSC

minutes from tonight...

Stortini just over 9, Pouliot just over 10

and the AHL-sens with 13 (Patrick) and 20 (Toby)

unfrickingbelieveable.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Spawn

Certainely was dissapointing, the only good chances the Oilers had to score they missed the net or fanned on the puck. Every shot we did get Thomas had the easy save on, no one drove the net, and no traffic in front. No heart or emotion out there.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:43 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Certainely was dissapointing, the only good chances the Oilers had to score they missed the net or fanned on the puck. Every shot we did get Thomas had the easy save on, no one drove the net, and no traffic in front. No heart or emotion out there.
but no shortage of the AHL-sens!

Old
02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
but no shortage of the AHL-sens!
Petersen and Thoresen (whom I have problems with, believe me) are not the reason the Oilers lost, the Oilers lost because our best players sucked tonight, Hemsky... Horcoff...Torres... None of them did anything out there tonight. Smyth was our best forward IMO, and he wasn't even really that great out there.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:49 PM
OilRick

vCash: 589
Does anyone else notice that the high flying Edmonton Oilers have lost any offensive creativity? 80% of their goals are scored within a 10 foot radius of the net. When was the last time we had a 2 on 1 or a 3on 2 break and it was tick-tack-toe, back of the net? Remember when we had Guerin, Weight, and Smytty as a line, we'd see two of these goals a game, now if we see one a month we'd be lucky. I know alot of it has to do with a puck moving d-man, but you'ld think they would fluke off a decent pass once a game, or at least once a week. Now all we depend on is go to the net and wack at the puck and hope it goes in. If the guys don't crash the net with authority, well, we see what happens like tonight.

OilRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:57 PM
OYLer

Chara's big defensemens body causes the 1st PP goal against by being in front of the net. MacTired responds with putting a pint-sized Petersen'd forwards body on the PP's backend. Stortini had what 2 shifts, this is good use of manpower?

Is Winchester injured or just confused by coaching which prepare our big body forwards to play well for other coaching staffs?

The problem isn't our player effort, it's the result of an ongoing systemic problem with personnel selection, development, and coaching.

The unwillingness to support a AHL franchise, the arrogant refusal to spend to the CAP limit, the reluctance to make the coaching staff accountable for failure to develope a decent powerplay for the last seven years, very poor trading for has been players who really haven't helped in securing playoff berths.

OYLer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Hemsky4PM

We don't have what we need most. A game-breaker or two. Hemsky has great skill, but he just doesn't produce enough. Frolov scored his 30th tonight!!! I wouldn't be shocked if Smyth tops out at 35 goals this season, he's definately slowing down. Unfortunately unless you can get Mike O'Connell on the horn at the right drunken moment you can't trade for that sort of player, you have to draft him.

Hemsky4PM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:01 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer View Post
Chara's big defensemens body causes the 1st PP goal against by being in front of the net. MacTired responds with putting a pint-sized Petersen'd forwards body on the PP's backend. Stortini had what 2 shifts, this is good use of manpower?

Is Winchester injured or just confused by coaching which prepare our big body forwards to play well for other coaching staffs?

The problem isn't our player effort, it's the result of an ongoing systemic problem with personnel selection, development, and coaching.

The unwillingness to support a AHL franchise, the arrogant refusal to spend to the CAP limit, the reluctance to make the coaching staff accountable for failure to develope a decent powerplay for the last seven years, very poor trading for has been players who really haven't helped in securing playoff berths.
I have no problem with the crashing the team but lets not bring the CAP and budget stuff to this thread. It's already in another two threads.

Old
02-13-2007, 11:06 PM
canadave

Quote:
Name three quality chances in the third period when there was traffic? I can answer that for you as I was so frustrated I decided to count them. ONE! That's all. Ryan Smyth was in front of the net and Horcoff missed the net on the rebound

On the rest of their shots there was no traffic and not one player drove hard to the net after a shot.

Down 2-0 that is not what I want to see!
I totally disagree, but not having paid particular attention, and not having the tape to review, I won't push it.

Suffice to say we threw everything but the kitchen sink at them in the 3rd and were thisclose to scoring, numerous times. I remember seeing players buzzing all over the net in a desperate attempt to score. There were several quality chances. We outshot them 12-8 in the 3rd, 32-23 overall.

Not to mention we are missing three important forwards (Moreau, Stoll, and Pisani), have a suspect defence, are icing a cobbled-together lineup of rookies and AHL players, played on the road (no last line change), and just flew across the continent. I think all things considered we played a fairly good game except for the two brainlocks on the penalties. Not to mention that one of the Bruins' PP goals went in off Staios' skate--a fluke.

To read this thread, you'd think we lost this game 5-0 and didn't even show up. I'll never understand why fans find a million flaws in every loss. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar--we ran into a hot goalie and got beat in a game we probably outplayed them in completely, except for about three minutes in the 1st period. The only really identifiable problem was that our PP let us down tonight--one goal on the PP might've made a huge difference. These things happen. Hopefully we'll have a better result next game.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:11 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I totally disagree, but not having paid particular attention, and not having the tape to review, I won't push it.

Suffice to say we threw everything but the kitchen sink at them in the 3rd and were thisclose to scoring, numerous times. I remember seeing players buzzing all over the net in a desperate attempt to score. There were several quality chances. We outshot them 12-8 in the 3rd, 32-23 overall.

Not to mention we are missing three important forwards (Moreau, Stoll, and Pisani), played on the road (no last line change), and just flew across the continent. I think all things considered we played a fairly good game except for the two brainlocks on the penalties. Not to mention that one of the Bruins' PP goals went in off Staios' skate--a fluke.

To read this thread, you'd think we lost this game 5-0 and didn't even show up. I'll never understand why fans find a million flaws in every loss. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar--we ran into a hot goalie and got beat in a game we probably outplayed them in completely, except for about three minutes in the 1st period. These things happen. Hopefully we'll have a better result next game.
You and I watched different games because I didn't see a lot of Kitchen sink. I saw a lot of shots but little in quality scoring chances after the first 10 minutes. That is not a knock, perhaps my expectations were high as I thought this was the easiest game to win on the road trip.

I believe if they weren't playing the Boston Bruins and were playing another team it would have been a more lopsided loss.

I would be more patient but there is no time for patience anymore.

Old
02-13-2007, 11:15 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I haven't posted this for awhile but this game made me very angry.

There was absolutely no heart and no desire to win this game.

Sure they directed 31 shots at Thomas but name three times in the game that the Oilers had any traffic in front of the net or going to the net?

A play that exemplified this. Nedved makes a great move getting by a defender and works himself into the slot. Instead of driving to the net where there is only one Boston Bruin who was off balance, Torres and Staios who had obviously left the point to create offence just coasted towards the net but never actually got there, Thomas juggled the puck so if one of them would have hustled they could have perhaps got the rebound but no chance of that, they were both coasting.

All night long it was the same, Hemsky makes a great pass to Sykora who is in the slot, Toby Peterson is standing three feet away from the net on the goal line. No chance the puck is going to go there on the rebound.

They showed no desire to pay the price, Boston had an easy night defending and Thomas will never have an easier shutout.

It was a game devoid of effort, emotion and paying the price and for a team six point back of a playoff spot that really says a lot and none of it is good!
Heart and desire (lack of it) have been this teams modus operandi for the whole season. I am surprised that poeple think this is magically going to change with the roster the way it is. I hate to sound like a broken record but this is not a playoff team as it stands right now and unless Lowe makes some changes this team is going nowhere. It's really too bad Brodziak is injured because I have seen enough of Nedved. Nedved isn't the whole problem but he is a part of it IMO. He may be acceptable defensively but he adds nothing in terms of offence or more importantly hunger and desire....the 2 things this team desperately needs. This team needs an infusion and it better happen quickly or this team misses the playoffs....then the EIG 24% price increase is going to look nothing more than a money grab.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:03 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer View Post

Can you name a single big-bodied forward that has gone on to succeed elsewhere in the Lowe/MacT era?

I agree with the lack of AHL team hurting the club though.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:27 AM
OilerNut*

I still say the Oilers threw in the towel for this year a couple weeks ago and are now losing on purpose to get a high draft pick.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I still say the Oilers threw in the towel for this year a couple weeks ago and are now losing on purpose to get a high draft pick.
Give me a break. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. They are not losing on purpose. They are short-manned at the moment with 4 key players out with injury. Name another team that wouldn't struggle with key injuries like the Oilers have at the present time. Give your head a shake.

02-14-2007, 12:32 AM
TheGreatone94

The Oil should follow suit to what Anaheim did last year around the deadline. Buy a little, and sell a little. We should shop Sykora as he can't do anything without Hemmer, and if anyone offers a 3rd or better we should take it. Same with Tjarnqvist. Buy guys that will help for next year as well as this year. Pick up a vet to play on the third line(like Owen Nolan or Gelinas) and roll with what we got.
S-H-H
Torres-Pouliot-Lupul
Nolan-Stoll-Pisani
Moreau-Reasoner-Stortini

Smith-(acquired D man)
Staios-Smid
Greene-Hejda/Bergeron

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:55 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky View Post
Give me a break. That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. They are not losing on purpose. They are short-manned at the moment with 4 key players out with injury. Name another team that wouldn't struggle with key injuries like the Oilers have at the present time. Give your head a shake.
Let me live in my fantasy world.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:14 AM
Digger12

Way to screw yourself over, Oilers.

Now you only need a minimum of 10 out of 12 possible points over the rest of this road trip to keep yourselves from becoming sellers.

No problem, I say!

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote