HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My view from in front of the big screen

Old
02-14-2007, 01:17 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Way to screw yourself over, Oilers.

Now you only need a minimum of 10 out of 12 possible points over the rest of this road trip to keep yourselves from becoming sellers.

No problem, I say!
You make it sound harder than it's going to be.

Buffalo, Ottawa and Minneosta are going to be mere pushovers.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:20 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
You make it sound harder than it's going to be.

Buffalo, Ottawa and Minneosta are going to be mere pushovers.
I read on another message board the game vs Buffalo may be postponed as they could receive 141 inches of snow in the New York area.

Last edited by Narnia: 02-14-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:22 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky View Post
I read on another message board the game vs Buffalo may be postponed as they could receive 100cm of snow in the New York area.
I honestly don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing at this point.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:53 AM
djmarcopolo

its cuz the coaches dotn have any game plans that include crashing the net, why do we constantly need to get an ugly goal to get things going? why cant we show some execution that doesnt always include hemsky finding someone at the point, where is the down low play? when was the last time we saw an effort at the down low play.
cheers

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know if there was no EFFORT, but I wish this group of idiots didn't need 3 freakin days of practice to remember how to play hockey! And why can't Mac T learn that adjustments are a good thing??? The B's applied a ton of pressure on there PK, did we change ONE DAMN THING all night??? NOPE! I get really sick of this guy and his "my way will always work no matter what happens" approach to coaching.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:31 AM
Showerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
I don't know if there was no EFFORT, but I wish this group of idiots didn't need 3 freakin days of practice to remember how to play hockey! And why can't Mac T learn that adjustments are a good thing??? The B's applied a ton of pressure on there PK, did we change ONE DAMN THING all night??? NOPE! I get really sick of this guy and his "my way will always work no matter what happens" approach to coaching.
Well actually yes, the Oilers used 4F units, 5F units, Hemsky on both sides of the half-boards, and various combinations of forwards. I don't think a lack of changing damned things was why we lost tonight.

I really don't know what the autopsy should read. I personally thought that Edmonton had the lion's share of legitimate scoring chances. Roli did have to make some good saves but neither goal that beat him was a high percentage scoring chance.

At this point in the season, if a team wants to make the play-offs, there can be no more "hot goalie" excuses regardless of how well Thomas played. For this, I am glad that MacT didn't use any (at least in the game report that I read on TSN.ca). You just have to find a way to win and even though I thought Edmonton was the better team tonight they sure as hell didn't.

Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
It was a game devoid of effort, emotion and paying the price and for a team six point back of a playoff spot that really says a lot and none of it is good!
That is exactly why the Oilers are in such a hole right now. No desire, no passion, no determination. They NEED some new blood to give them that desier and passion. Move out some of the passionless and bring in some new faces that want to win.

When a team pulls the goalie, they should actually look like they are attempting to score, the Oilers NEVER look that way. Listless, dull and feeble are the Oilers.

Without a major trade to shake up the attitude on this team, the season is over.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:43 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead View Post
Well actually yes, the Oilers used 4F units, 5F units, Hemsky on both sides of the half-boards, and various combinations of forwards. I don't think a lack of changing damned things was why we lost tonight.

I really don't know what the autopsy should read. I personally thought that Edmonton had the lion's share of legitimate scoring chances. Roli did have to make some good saves but neither goal that beat him was a high percentage scoring chance.

At this point in the season, if a team wants to make the play-offs, there can be no more "hot goalie" excuses regardless of how well Thomas played. For this, I am glad that MacT didn't use any (at least in the game report that I read on TSN.ca). You just have to find a way to win and even though I thought Edmonton was the better team tonight they sure as hell didn't.
True enough.

At this stage of the game, the honest to goodness quality teams overcome the goalie that is 'standing on his head' with talent, execution and work ethic...while the mediocre teams whine about running into a hot goalie and bemoan their lack of puck luck.

It all sounds so hollow when it's the middle of February.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead View Post
I get what you're saying man, but this isn't at all what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how staionary our PP is and how if anyone applies pressure to it(like we saw tonight)we are lost. I'm talking about making COACHING adjustments, not player adjustments....and I know it's tough to do in game, but they are professionals.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:08 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:
I read on another message board the game vs Buffalo may be postponed as they could receive 141 inches of snow in the New York area.
141 inches?

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Spawn

Quote:
... Isn't that like 12 feet? Anyways, I usually disagree with everything you post, but your comment on injuries certainely is an interesting one.

Moreau 50 games missed and counting
Smyth 10 games missed
Hemsky 9 games missed
Tjarnqvist 21 games missed and counting (Even if you don't like his soft as butter play, the Oilers were a better team with him in the lineup)
Staios 10 games missed
Stoll 6 games missed and counting
Pisani only 1 game missed, but likely out for awhile

Thats alot of minutes that have been needed to be filled by non-regulars. It makes you wonder what would happen with the Oilers if they had stayed as healthy this year as they did last.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Yanner39

I thought the #1 line played well. My problem is the players who can't pick it up in the absence of Stoll and Pisani. Where the hell was Sykora or Torres. How about Nedved.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:51 PM
jiggyman

Say we had 3 more wins this season, possibly 3 bounces though-out the season? I take it no one would be in this panic mode? I absolutely HATE this sky is falling attitude everyone seems to have.

The NHL doesn't revolve around the Oilers, just because the leagues now on a level playing field, doesn't mean we're heading the cup final every damn year. Calm the hell down people and wait until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs before you start whining about your super high expectations not being met.

jiggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyman View Post
Say we had 3 more wins this season, possibly 3 bounces though-out the season? I take it no one would be in this panic mode? I absolutely HATE this sky is falling attitude everyone seems to have.

The NHL doesn't revolve around the Oilers, just because the leagues now on a level playing field, doesn't mean we're heading the cup final every damn year. Calm the hell down people and wait until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs before you start whining about your super high expectations not being met.
I don't get these types of posts. So all is good? The Oilers losea game where they played uninspired hockey and you're fine with that? I get that some fans look at the Oilers through rose-coloured glasses, but this is a crappy team right now. Sorry.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:14 PM
jiggyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
I don't get these types of posts. So all is good? The Oilers losea game where they played uninspired hockey and you're fine with that? I get that some fans look at the Oilers through rose-coloured glasses, but this is a crappy team right now. Sorry.
All will never be good enough, that is the point.

Old
02-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyman View Post
Calm the hell down people and wait until we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs before you start whining about your super high expectations not being met.
So what do you Lowe and MacT's expectations were, coming into this season, with the highest payroll in Oilers history?

I'll wager it wasn't being in 9th place, 6 points out of 8th...ESPECIALLY with all the home games the Oilers had leading up to this 7 game marathon on the schedule.

Old
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Declassified

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
I know it's a disappointing loss, but come on--I think you're being way too harsh. We really only lost 2-0 if you discard the EN goal, both goals coming on two consecutive silly stick fouls. Other than those two goals, we totally outplayed them. Their goalie stood on his head. What can you do? These things happen.

No heart and desire? Really? It sure looked like they were trying to me. You really think guys were dogging it, with so much at stake? Name names, please, because I'd be curious to know who you observed being lazy.

As far as going to the net and creating traffic goes, they were buzzing around the net all night. There were plenty of times where there were crazy bounces around the net and we almost buried it because we had at least two guys within a couple of feet of the net

If anything, it was our PP that killed us. We had a couple with some good chances, but we really needed a goal. But then again, their goalie stood on his head. Just one of those bad nights at the office....
100%

HA101 is being way to tough. I thought they played excellent, the bounces didn't go their way, like you said, those things happen. The Oilers were constantly in the Boston D zone. Tim Thomas just happened to play unreal.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Declassified

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilRick View Post
Does anyone else notice that the high flying Edmonton Oilers have lost any offensive creativity? 80% of their goals are scored within a 10 foot radius of the net. When was the last time we had a 2 on 1 or a 3on 2 break and it was tick-tack-toe, back of the net? Remember when we had Guerin, Weight, and Smytty as a line, we'd see two of these goals a game, now if we see one a month we'd be lucky. I know alot of it has to do with a puck moving d-man, but you'ld think they would fluke off a decent pass once a game, or at least once a week. Now all we depend on is go to the net and wack at the puck and hope it goes in. If the guys don't crash the net with authority, well, we see what happens like tonight.

its been like that for years.

Old
02-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
100%

HA101 is being way to tough. I thought they played excellent, the bounces didn't go their way, like you said, those things happen. The Oilers were constantly in the Boston D zone. Tim Thomas just happened to play unreal.
MacT has a different view:

Quote:
"We're back to making goaltenders look really good. Tim Thomas made 32 saves and I can't remember a difficult one."

"We were the perfect opponent again. We had a slow start, then gave a ton of effort to get back in the game, entertained everyone and walked out with a loss. "

"We've got to be boring. We have to play a defensive-minded game."

Old
02-14-2007, 02:23 PM
jiggyman

Quote:
So what do you Lowe and MacT's expectations were, coming into this season, with the highest payroll in Oilers history?

I'll wager it wasn't being in 9th place, 6 points out of 8th...ESPECIALLY with all the home games the Oilers had leading up to this 7 game marathon on the schedule.

More than likely not, but that's what sometimes happens on a level playing field. 3 wins, your talking 3 bounces though-out an entire season. It's not that big of a deal. We finished 8th last year with a better team, currently stand 9th, i'm not seeing the big difference here.

Old
02-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Declassified

Quote:
MacT has a different view:
MacT always says stuff like that. Nothing Changes. Tim Thomas played excellent last night, trying to take anything away from that isnt going to change anything.

Old
02-14-2007, 02:26 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
100%

Yes the Oilers had their fair share of time in the Bruins end but more often than not the Bruins shut down the passing/shooting lanes and Thomas made a routine stop. Thomas didn't have to play unreal because far to many Oilers refused to drive to the net. They didn't seem to want this game bad enough.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Yes the Oilers had their fair share of time in the Bruins end but more often than not the Bruins shut down the passing/shooting lanes and Thomas made a routine stop. Thomas didn't have to play unreal because far to many Oilers refused to drive to the net. They didn't seem to want this game bad enough.
It wasn't only that though, it was also Tim Thomas not even having to make a save due to the Oilers not even getting a shot on goal with some grade A chances.

Horcoff set up for a one timer on the PP from 15 feet away, misses the net.
Lupul sent in all alone by a rare deft pass from Torres, goes backhand, misses the net.
Pouliot hits the crossbar.

Old
02-14-2007, 02:36 PM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I haven't posted this for awhile but this game made me very angry.

There was absolutely no heart and no desire to win this game.

Sure they directed 31 shots at Thomas but name three times in the game that the Oilers had any traffic in front of the net or going to the net?

A play that exemplified this. Nedved makes a great move getting by a defender and works himself into the slot. Instead of driving to the net where there is only one Boston Bruin who was off balance, Torres and Staios who had obviously left the point to create offence just coasted towards the net but never actually got there, Thomas juggled the puck so if one of them would have hustled they could have perhaps got the rebound but no chance of that, they were both coasting.

All night long it was the same, Hemsky makes a great pass to Sykora who is in the slot, Toby Peterson is standing three feet away from the net on the goal line. No chance the puck is going to go there on the rebound.

They showed no desire to pay the price, Boston had an easy night defending and Thomas will never have an easier shutout.

It was a game devoid of effort, emotion and paying the price and for a team six point back of a playoff spot that really says a lot and none of it is good!
Excellent summary, I fully agree.

In fact, the feeling in my stomach after this game was the same as the Sunday afternoon 2-1 loss to the Blues last year. That was IMO a low point in our swoon that should have cost us a playoff spot (Thanks again Vancouver!) but it was also a breaking point for the team.

Here's to hoping this sad effort has the same effect. I want to see this team come out and punish the Sabres on Thursday...

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:38 PM
oilerfan18

Quote:

Lets hope the just call it a draw and give us one point... :-)

oilerfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote