HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Overtime Loss Point talk

Old
02-14-2007, 05:00 PM
ilovehockey

vCash: 500
If i recall one of the conferences standings last year.The playoff order would not of changed if you take away the single point, and the other conference the top 8 were still the top 8.

ilovehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 05:10 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perogieboy View Post

If that were the logic there would be no point for an OT loss.

Its not a logical practice; its a gimmick.
There is a reason it's called OVERtime.

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
There is a reason it's called OVERtime.
So even though the team loses they get a point for a tie?

Everyone talks about "its a bonus". Crap. A bonus is getting an extra 2% on your exam, or getting a mini-candy bar for a right answer. The extra-point "bonus" has a significant impact on the standings (2 OT or SO losses = 1 win).

Its gimmicky and there is no point trying to deny that.

Like another poster said in another thread, it isn't ties that made the game boring; it was the "dead puck" era. Add that to vain attempts to market the game by changing the game (let the game sell itself), and you have a farcical point structure where playoff teams golf in the spring and people no longer understand what under .500 means.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
how about talking directly to me?

you sir are missing the point that it is not an extra point. regulation time goes 60 minutes, if its a tie then its 1 point for each team because there was no winner.
the team might no have won in regulation time, but they also did not lose. it was a tie, if its a tie after 60 minutes then both should be awarded a point. since its usually 2 points for a win, so they split it because it was undecesive.

one could argue to change the system into 3 points for a regulation time (60mins) win and 2 for an extra time /SO win where the team that loses in overtime or shootout should be rewarded 1 point for making it into overtime.

OT and SO is not regulation time.

jeez... i wonder if some who still dont understand it ever saw a school from the inside...
If this is the case, then why don't other sports reward teams that finish regulation tied? You don't see football, baseball, basketball, etc. award .5 wins (which is really what 1 point is) to each team when they end regulation tied? It would seem logical, right?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:26 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
If this is the case, then why don't other sports reward teams that finish regulation tied? You don't see football, baseball, basketball, etc. award .5 wins (which is really what 1 point is) to each team when they end regulation tied? It would seem logical, right?
Because they have time to go into a full overtime to decide the outcome of the game properly. Because the nature of football, basketball and baseball (although to a lesser degree) are such that a point will be scored in a reasonable amount of time, unlike hockey, where games would drag on for much longer.

Old
02-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I agree that you at least have to make a regulation win worth more then a OT/SO win. Or just kill off the OTL point I suppose, the winner takes 2, the loser takes 0 no matter when they win/lose. Really it's kind of the exact same thing. The way it is now is scewing the standings, and seriously under-valuing legitimate regulation wins.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perogieboy View Post
So even though the team loses they get a point for a tie?

Everyone talks about "its a bonus". Crap. A bonus is getting an extra 2% on your exam, or getting a mini-candy bar for a right answer. The extra-point "bonus" has a significant impact on the standings (2 OT or SO losses = 1 win).

Its gimmicky and there is no point trying to deny that.

Like another poster said in another thread, it isn't ties that made the game boring; it was the "dead puck" era. Add that to vain attempts to market the game by changing the game (let the game sell itself), and you have a farcical point structure where playoff teams golf in the spring and people no longer understand what under .500 means.
I'll definitely give you that people don't understand what .500 really means now, however its not as bad as everyone seems to think it is.
I'm not sure which playoff teams that are playing golf in the spring you are referring to unless it was Vancouver last year.
But its not like there are any teams that are in 10th under the current system, but "should" be 7th in the standings.

Old
02-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Or consider soccer, which doesn't circumvent the tie.
I'm not sure that I can think of a sport that has fundamental rules changed for marketing purposes like Bettman has for hockey.

Old
02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Because they have time to go into a full overtime to decide the outcome of the game properly. Because the nature of football, basketball and baseball (although to a lesser degree) are such that a point will be scored in a reasonable amount of time, unlike hockey, where games would drag on for much longer.
But that is not the point. MrAlfie is claiming that the point is for ending REGULATION tied. There was no mention of having to play a full overtime or not. In fact, even if none of the games went to shootout it wouldn't impact the argument at hand. His claim is that teams should get a point for being tied after REGULATION, regardless of whether or not the game gets settled in overtime or a shootout. Plus, basketball and baseball (well, not exactly if the home team scores enough they don't cmplete the inning) aren't sudden death, so they play the full overtime, while hockey and football are sudden death and don't necessarily mean that the full session is played. Whether or not the overtime must be played completely is irrelevant to giving away the extra point.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
I'm not sure which playoff teams that are playing golf in the spring you are referring to unless it was Vancouver last year.
I'm not referring to any team in particular, just that the possibility exists. Unfortunately, there will be teams other than Vancouver in '05/06 who will experience this in the future.
Quote:
But its not like there are any teams that are in 10th under the current system, but "should" be 7th in the standings.
There are no teams who would find themselves out of the playoffs at present, but we'll see at the end of this year. But both Atlanta and Calgary would lose their division lead, which has significant implications for playoff matchups.

Old
02-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Merc29
Sid ney Cr os by

how freaken depressing would 0-0-82 be?

Merc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:57 PM
fras123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo-Nation View Post
Agreed.

If they're good enough to never lose in regulation, why should they not deserve a spot?
because they havnt wone any games, it means that in 70 games they were the worse team on the ice, why should a team who hasnt been the better team on the ice for more than 12 games in a season deserve to be in the playoffs? (generalization the best team on the ice doesnt always win)

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:05 PM
sticknrink

Win=2pts, OT/SO loss=.5pt

Wondering what people think of having half a point instead of a full point for overtime / shootout losses.

The reason why the NHL will not go 3pts for a win is because it messes up historical records. A win is always going to be 2pts. If we use half a point to calculate an OT/SO loss, here's what the standings in the west would look like:

*Nashville: 77.5
*Anaheim: 70
*Calgary: 64
Detroit: 75
San Jose: 72.5
Dallas: 69
Vancouver: 64
Minnesota: 64
====
Edmonton: 58
Colorado: 56
Phoenix: 51
St.Louis: 48.5
Chicago: 47.5
Los Angeles: 42.5

This system would really value wins and I feel would help make expand the standings out.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:14 PM
bd007h*

Send a message via AIM to bd007h* Send a message via MSN to bd007h*
um, no thanks. Decimals would make it too confusing.

bd007h* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd007h View Post
um, no thanks. Decimals would make it too confusing.
Like in baseball right?

Old
02-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Mr_Jones*

Jesus ****ing Christ, are wins and losses so damn difficult to understand?

Mr_Jones* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Paxton Fettel

omg, another thread on this ... jesus, kill'em, kill'em all!

edit : what's with the anti-Blue Jacketism?

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:23 PM
fob

12-0-70?

Those 70 points are going somewhere, and I'm thinking it's probably the 5 other teams that make it to the playoffs before you.

"A pretty much guaranteed playoff spot" my ###.

fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:38 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I think it's fine to give out half-points. The only thing I wouldn't do is give any team, at any point, more than 2 pts. for a win.

2 for a win and either 1 or .5 for the OT/SO loss

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Janney

Better than .5 pt loss in OT/SO...

2 pts for win

1 pt for 4-4 overtime loss

0 pts for SO loss

The whole idea was for teams to have this killer instinct and win at no cost. But the ones that excel in SO will prolong the game just to get to that point.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Golden Jet

Presently, some games award three points while others award two points. Every game should have the same value or the stats/standing get skewed. Here is what I recommend:

Three points should be given out each and every game. If the game is won in 65 minutes or less, three points for the winner and zero for the loser.

If the game goes to a shootout, three points are still awarded. However only two are given to the winner since a shootout win isn't a real win imo and the loser still gets a point because a shootout loss isn't a real loss.

What do you think?

Golden Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Irish Blues

All of the talk about the OTL / "loser point" merged into one thread; please try to keep all of the discussion here.

02-14-2007, 08:15 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post
The reason why the NHL will not go 3pts for a win is because it messes up historical records. A win is always going to be 2pts. If we use half a point to calculate an OT/SO loss, here's what the standings in the west would look like:
I don't buy that if that's the NHL's reasoning. Point records are already obsolete with some games being worth three points. Plus teams get credit for wins in games they wouldn't have won before in the case of shootout wins. I don't see how going to a 3-2-1 system is any different.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:44 PM
AVSfan2daMAX

Like I say: "It doesn't matter whether you win or lose all that matters is if you get it to the circus(aka the shootout/overtime/dart throwing contest)"

Last edited by AVSfan2daMAX: 02-14-2007 at 10:34 PM.
AVSfan2daMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:27 PM
I Ron Butterfly

This whole mess came about because overtimes were ridiculously boring. Both teams were holding out for the point. It was not a gmmick, it was to inspire teams to go for it. Now overtimes are incredibly entertaining, and if worst comes to worst an exciting skills competition takes place to determine the winner. As stated before, everyone plays under the same point system and every game has a winner. Maybe a tweak regarding the 3 point games could help, but other than that I don't think you'd be able to change this situation for the better.

I Ron Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote