HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torres sucks as a playmaker

Old
02-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Torres sucks as a playmaker

Who the hell told Torres he was a playmaker? All year he's been passing instead of driving to the net. Last year he got his 28 goals from driving to the net, with or without the puck. This year he continously passes off and most times the pass gets picked off or he just plain misses. I don't get it. Two different players. Did he get some bad advice?

Oilfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:43 PM
GSC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Who the hell told Torres he was a playmaker? All year he's been passing instead of driving to the net. Last year he got his 28 goals from driving to the net, with or without the puck. This year he continously passes off and most times the pass gets picked off or he just plain misses. I don't get it. Two different players. Did he get some bad advice?
Toby Petersen told him

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Backhand

Completely a confidence issue. He is getting rid of the puck instead of doing something with it. You can tell games he's going to be good because he is skating with the puck and doing things with it, not just giving it to his linemates to make something happen.

Backhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:47 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
No one told him not to drive to the net!

One of the plays that typified Torres happened about 10 games ago and I screamed at my television and I Ferraro mentioned it after.

An oppositon player gets the puck in the corner and Torres is forechecking, the opposition player is fumbling with the puck and Torres turned away from the check and backed off. I coudn't believe it and either could Ferraro.

He coasted again tonight instead of driving to the net on at least three occasions and he certainly isn't hitting anybody.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
yah that was a real crappy pass when he sent Lupul in alone....

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Q038

if tores doesn't pass, who will in that line combo? i still chuckle to myself when i see tores, sykora and lupal playing on the same line.. no passers , no puck carriers.. all shooters that as soon as they find themself outside the slot look like they blindfolded and spun around 20 times...

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootler View Post
yah that was a real crappy pass when he sent Lupul in alone....
Yeah, 17 mins of icetime and one good pass. Whoo Hoo. I could do better then that and I play beer-league. What are you, Mact's brother?

Oilfan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Oilerdiehard

I'm getting worried about Torres again. He has started not moving his feet as much, is not hitting much and is starting to have trouble like early in the year with making the simple play that keeps things moving.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Q038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I'm getting worried about Torres again. He has started not moving his feet as much, is not hitting much and is starting to have trouble like early in the year with making the simple play that keeps things moving.
im praying its an injury because if its not, he needs to be moved while he's still worth more then a bag of pucks...

Old
02-13-2007, 10:25 PM
westcory

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
No one told him not to drive to the net!

One of the plays that typified Torres happened about 10 games ago and I screamed at my television and I Ferraro mentioned it after.

An oppositon player gets the puck in the corner and Torres is forechecking, the opposition player is fumbling with the puck and Torres turned away from the check and backed off. I coudn't believe it and either could Ferraro.

He coasted again tonight instead of driving to the net on at least three occasions and he certainly isn't hitting anybody.
For a guy that didn't hit anybody he had the most hits on the superstats sheet tonight. You haters really need to get your facts straight. of course the guys has confidence issues, so should the rest of the team other than Smyth and Hemmer. Torres is one of the few Oilers that can pass the puck and hit the tape of the other EDMONTON player so I am not going to hate for him passing the puck. Many of our other players are not sure what team to pass to and if they do get the team right they have the idea that it is better to hit the player in the skates.

If you are going to hate on players hate on Lupul, Hate on Sykora, Hate on the coaches but dont hate on our heart players like Stoli, Torres and Staios.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Q038

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
For a guy that didn't hit anybody he had the most hits on the superstats sheet tonight. You haters really need to get your facts straight. of course the guys has confidence issues, so should the rest of the team other than Smyth and Hemmer. Torres is one of the few Oilers that can pass the puck and hit the tape of the other EDMONTON player so I am not going to hate for him passing the puck. Many of our other players are not sure what team to pass to and if they do get the team right they have the idea that it is better to hit the player in the skates.

If you are going to hate on players hate on Lupul, Hate on Sykora, Hate on the coaches but dont hate on our heart players like Stoli, Torres and Staios.
im sorry, but linking Stoli and Staios with Tores doesn't make sence at this point... While Tores has his moments he's playing most of this season like he's hurt.. If he's not hurt, there is a serious problem that goes behond confidence

Old
02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Oilerdiehard

Torres is not hitting enough for my liking and the ones he is doing lately are just little bumps (apparently those count as hits on the superstats). Not finished checks, not enough to impede players progress and not enough to cause any turnovers.

He is supposed to be our big hitter but when was his last big hit?

I swear Stortini tonight played 2 minutes and he still managed to have the best hit for a forward out there tonight IMO.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:41 PM
westcory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q038 View Post
im sorry, but linking Stoli and Staios with Tores doesn't make sence at this point... While Tores has his moments he's playing most of this season like he's hurt.. If he's not hurt, there is a serious problem that goes behond confidence
Does nobody remember when Smyth and Hemmer went down and Torres and Stoll put the rest of the team on their backs? Torres went 7 pts in 7 games and stoll was just a hair better, when the rest of the team including Horcoff didn't help at all? I know the guy is streaky but he is 25 and makes....wait for it....900K a year. Of course he scores less this year, no PP time till latey and he is playing a checking roll against the other teams best players.

I would tell you to ship him off if his defensive zone coverage wasnt good and he never hit someone but he did tonight and has played like a top 6 forward for three months now. Compare Torres to Pisnai....900K to 2.2mill and 5 more years in the league......who would you rather keep now? The guys gets the least amount of ice time as any of our top 9 forwards and hasn't once said in the media that he has a problem with it, in fact it is the complete opposite he says he isn't doing enough to help the team. We do not have just one or two players not producing we are screwed as a whole. We have ZERO leadership, ZERO jump on the road, There isn't a word to describe the PP, and a coach that sits there staring at the ice as if to say who is playing tonight.......Dont hate a player hat the team.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:42 PM
BleedOil83

I really think now is the time to trade Raff. Same thing as Schremp, I'd hate to trade him and see him develop into a star, but I don't see it happening. Now may be the most value he'll ever have. The guy has had every opportunity in the last couple years and shows no consistency whatsoever. He is the defnition of a streaky player and for a guy who's game is hitting and intensity, that's unacceptable.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:43 PM
westcory

Quote:
Torres is not hitting enough for my liking and the ones he is doing lately are just little bumps (apparently those count as hits on the superstats). Not finished checks, not enough to impede players progress and not enough to cause any turnovers.

He is supposed to be our big hitter but when was his last big hit?

I swear Stortini tonight played 2 minutes and he still managed to have the best hit for a forward out there tonight IMO.
Torres has knocked two guys out of games this year, one on a strecher, what other forward has done that this year. Yeah he had bigger hits last year but when you go for those big hits you get out of position and you can't do that when your on the ice against the other teams best line IMHO.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:44 PM
westcory

I repeat 900K is all the guy makes and you want him to be Bertuzzi. Wow Oiler world has gone to H*LL.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Torres has knocked two guys out of games this year, one on a strecher, what other forward has done that this year. Yeah he had bigger hits last year but when you go for those big hits you get out of position and you can't do that when your on the ice against the other teams best line IMHO.
I want quantity and not having to point at look he did 2 really big ones this year, especially when the year is almost over. I want a big hit at least once a period, he gets enough ice time to make that happen.

When I say that, clean or not I am not judging a good hitter by players getting injured and going out on stretchers. Nobody is arguing that once in a while Torres CAN BE one of the best, hardest hitters in the game.

You can make good finished hard hitting checks without getting out of position. I am not suggesting he run all over the ice out of position. He does not need to do that. Stoll has consistently taken the body and finished checks far better than Torres has this season.

Your comment above that he makes 900k and people want him to be Bertuzzi is about the most irrational response I have read in a long time. You are trying to take this discussion in a direction it is not even going in. I realize you are being a Torres apologist here but try to keep it within reason.

Torres needs to be a presence physically every night. That is a big part of what his job is, most nights he does not really bring it. Raff is invisible a lot of nights, that is a problem.

Quote:
Does nobody remember when Smyth and Hemmer went down and Torres and Stoll put the rest of the team on their backs? Torres went 7 pts in 7 games...
I remember that and he did very well.

Does anyone remember the last time Raffi played consistently well for more than 15 games or so in a season? I do not...

Anyone remember at least twice a season when Raffi disappears for 15 games and often more at a time? I do, every season.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 02-13-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Q038

Quote:
Does nobody remember when Smyth and Hemmer went down and Torres and Stoll put the rest of the team on their backs? Torres went 7 pts in 7 games and stoll was just a hair better, when the rest of the team including Horcoff didn't help at all? I know the guy is streaky but he is 25 and makes....wait for it....900K a year. Of course he scores less this year, no PP time till latey and he is playing a checking roll against the other teams best players.

I would tell you to ship him off if his defensive zone coverage wasnt good and he never hit someone but he did tonight and has played like a top 6 forward for three months now. Compare Torres to Pisnai....900K to 2.2mill and 5 more years in the league......who would you rather keep now? The guys gets the least amount of ice time as any of our top 9 forwards and hasn't once said in the media that he has a problem with it, in fact it is the complete opposite he says he isn't doing enough to help the team. We do not have just one or two players not producing we are screwed as a whole. We have ZERO leadership, ZERO jump on the road, There isn't a word to describe the PP, and a coach that sits there staring at the ice as if to say who is playing tonight.......Dont hate a player hat the team.

your barking up the wrong tree and asuming to much..

I am in Tores's corner and been a advocate of Tores from the beginning... and i didn't think signing pisani to that high of a contrat was a good idea either...

If you read my post again, you will notice i said he's playing like he's hurt, and if he isn't hurt, there is more then a confidence issue... If he's not hurt, he needs to be moved while there is still value.. to me, Oilers>Tores love...

Old
02-13-2007, 11:01 PM
OntOilFan

Torres is troubling case.

Not only is he having a bad year, but has anyone seen him in interviews? He looks wasted half the time. And there was that odd interview in the paper where he talked about not wanting to bother anyone with his "personal problems."

I think there's more than meets the eye to Raffi's struggles.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post

Not only is he having a bad year, but has anyone seen him in interviews? He looks wasted half the time. And there was that odd interview in the paper where he talked about not wanting to bother anyone with his "personal problems."

Yeah I agree. Also right before he had that really good stretch. Stoll said something about him and Raffi had agreed to (I totally forget the exact wording here) start living a little cleaner or something like that away from the rink.

Old
02-13-2007, 11:12 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post

I think you misinterpreted that. I clearly remember the interview and the questions he was responding to were concerning the trade rumours that implicated him. His "personal problems" were related to how he was playing and how the rumours were swirling. There's no drama there.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Torres' biggest problem is simple. Ever since the Williams hit, he has become soft. I don't know if he is afraid of hurting another player but ***. His biggest strength was has always been his physical play. It gets him into the game, and it really scares the other team.

He just seems to be out there right now. I really think if somebody smoked Torres, that it would get him going and get him to stop feeling sorry for himself. He has got all the skills to be a guy that can be a good on ice leader like a Morrow but he just hasn't done it this year. He is not hurting us, but he was supposed to be one of the players that really helps us.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

Quote:
Yeah I agree. Also right before he had that really good stretch. Stoll said something about him and Raffi had agreed to (I totally forget the exact wording here) start living a little cleaner or something like that away from the rink.
*cough* blow *cough*
I think Jaret has cleaned up, Raffi... well...

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Q038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
*cough* blow *cough*
I think Jaret has cleaned up, Raffi... well...
Unsubstanciated claims or suggestions like these really have no place.. Thats just what Tores needs, more rumors to mess with his head even further..

Old
02-14-2007, 12:08 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Well, he never has been a good passer. But it amazes me that in two plus seasons of development, his passing hasn't improved. Either he's just not learning, or they aren't teaching him.

Anytime I see him receive the puck along the boards in our zone I cringe, knowing that it's a 50/50 situation that his pass will get picked off.

Anytime he passes back to the point in the offensive zone I cringe, for the same reason.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote