HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I miss Him, I really do...

Old
02-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Knighttown

vCash: 500
I miss Him, I really do...

On nights like this, long after the final whistle has blown, I find myself remembering back to to the spring when closet Oiler fans were finally able to dust of their vintage jerseys and beat our chests a little. My entire adult life I've faithfully cheered a poor to mediocre team with no superstars and my patience had finally paid off. I spent a small fortune flying to Edmonton to see the freakin Stanley Cup Finals, one of the highlights of my life.

Even after they lost and I took tally of all the teams that crumbled after reaching (and losing) in the finals the previous season, I felt nothing but optimism. We had tremendous leadership and experience yet our core were all very young. We had an extremely deep set of forwards, a terrific defensive core and had finally fixed the goaltending problems. Sure, there were some concerns. How much "extra" would the likes of Pisani and Roloson get as a reward for their Conn Smythe worthy playoff runs? Would Samsonov return? What about MacT, who had been snubbed? But really, nothing could rain on my parade. Even my golf game improved! The Edmonton Oilers were going to be perrenial contenders.

Now 8 months later I can clearly see how much He meant to me; to us. Every time I see Hemsky curl back on the half boards and saucer a pass to the point my heart skips a beat hoping He'll be there to fire that laser 6 inches off the ice. Watching the Bruins tonight cycle endlessly against a tired, overmatched group of pluggers and even more so when I watch Smyth and Hemsky so helpless on the wall against the likes of Chara, I remember how He would anticipate, read, react and stop the chaos in our zone. For the first part of last season, we thought Bergeron was the second coming of Ray Bourque, until we stopped pairing Marc Andre with Him. Then Spacek went from depth defenseman (in Chicago) to Norris candidate and back again, each new era coinciding with the loss or gain of a certain dance partner. And in the Cup run, our captain, my captain, mashed, smashed and crashed his way to "playoff hero" status with Him riding shotgun.

Our arena and ice surface were built for passing. Our forwards, were drafted and traded for, primarily with blazing speed in mind. Finally, we had the weapon that could hit Hemsky flying up the wing with speed. A lifelong number 2/3 center, Shawn Horcoff, dominated his counterparts, all stars, Zetterberg, Thornton and McDonald in successive playoff series, arguably becoming one of the most valuable 5-on-5 centerman in hockey, not unlike Rod Brind'Amour, with Him playing behind him 30 minutes a night. We finally had a stopper that could stop the first one and "Eureka" there were no second ones to be had! I can't sit here and say that He is the best player in hockey or even the MVP, but I would say that he is the player I would want on this Edmonton Oilers team, this year more than any other. Crosby, Luongo, Niedermeyer, sure, I want 'em all, but He was the one that could have and would have made us contenders till the decade's end.

I know this is hard for some to read and most will not have made it this far but in the journey to recover from the loss of this player, there will be peaks and valleys and this is the Marianas Trench for me. Take away my shoelaces. That feeling you get in your stomach when you realize someone is gone and is never coming back, and it's not going to be OK is here. Perhaps, if we survive this road trip, and/or we make a key trade, I'll be good for awhile, but the scars are still there, just below the surface. I'm not over this yet.

I miss Him...

Knighttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Sachiko

I miss Pronger too..... maybe he was right in leaving at the right time, along with Peca and Spacek.

Sachiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighttown View Post
On nights like this, long after the final whistle has blown, I find myself remembering back to to the spring when closet Oiler fans were finally able to dust of their vintage jerseys and beat our chests a little. My entire adult life I've faithfully cheered a poor to mediocre team with no superstars and my patience had finally paid off. I spent a small fortune flying to Edmonton to see the freakin Stanley Cup Finals, one of the highlights of my life.

Even after they lost and I took tally of all the teams that crumbled after reaching (and losing) in the finals the previous season, I felt nothing but optimism. We had tremendous leadership and experience yet our core were all very young. We had an extremely deep set of forwards, a terrific defensive core and had finally fixed the goaltending problems. Sure, there were some concerns. How much "extra" would the likes of Pisani and Roloson get as a reward for their Conn Smythe worthy playoff runs? Would Samsonov return? What about MacT, who had been snubbed? But really, nothing could rain on my parade. Even my golf game improved! The Edmonton Oilers were going to be perrenial contenders.

Now 8 months later I can clearly see how much He meant to me; to us. Every time I see Hemsky curl back on the half boards and saucer a pass to the point my heart skips a beat hoping He'll be there to fire that laser 6 inches off the ice. Watching the Bruins tonight cycle endlessly against a tired, overmatched group of pluggers and even more so when I watch Smyth and Hemsky so helpless on the wall against the likes of Chara, I remember how He would anticipate, read, react and stop the chaos in our zone. For the first part of last season, we thought Bergeron was the second coming of Ray Bourque, until we stopped pairing Marc Andre with Him. Then Spacek went from depth defenseman (in Chicago) to Norris candidate and back again, each new era coinciding with the loss or gain of a certain dance partner. And in the Cup run, our captain, my captain, mashed, smashed and crashed his way to "playoff hero" status with Him riding shotgun.

Our arena and ice surface were built for passing. Our forwards, were drafted and traded for, primarily with blazing speed in mind. Finally, we had the weapon that could hit Hemsky flying up the wing with speed. A lifelong number 2/3 center, Shawn Horcoff, dominated his counterparts, all stars, Zetterberg, Thornton and McDonald in successive playoff series, arguably becoming one of the most valuable 5-on-5 centerman in hockey, not unlike Rod Brind'Amour, with Him playing behind him 30 minutes a night. We finally had a stopper that could stop the first one and "Eureka" there were no second ones to be had! I can't sit here and say that He is the best player in hockey or even the MVP, but I would say that he is the player I would want on this Edmonton Oilers team, this year more than any other. Crosby, Luongo, Niedermeyer, sure, I want 'em all, but He was the one that could have and would have made us contenders till the decade's end.

I know this is hard for some to read and most will not have made it this far but in the journey to recover from the loss of this player, there will be peaks and valleys and this is the Marianas Trench for me. Take away my shoelaces. That feeling you get in your stomach when you realize someone is gone and is never coming back, and it's not going to be OK is here. Perhaps, if we survive this road trip, and/or we make a key trade, I'll be good for awhile, but the scars are still there, just below the surface. I'm not over this yet.

I miss Him...
don't miss Him...Toby Petersen got 20 minutes of ice tonight, and we all know how much of a stud he is so all is well

but seriously, I miss Pronger too...and Spacek, and Peca, and Dvorak.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
As much as I despise the character of the gap-toothed troglodyte, I feel much the same way that you do about the Hockey Player.

The Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Sachiko

You can add Tarnstrom and Harvey to that list as well.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:02 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachiko View Post
You can add Tarnstrom and Harvey to that list as well.
and Rem Murray.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWC11 View Post
and Rem Murray.
You miss Rem Murray?

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:04 PM
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

haven't you guys heard? toby petersen can do it all, score goals, fight, and he's slated to be the next pronger and play 30 mins a game

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:05 PM
GSC

yep...he brought more to the table than PP Petersen does

although I would've rather have gotten McAmmond at the deadline, I'll always be a R.E.M. Murray fan.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:05 PM
OntOilFan

Pronger is The Man™

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:06 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
haven't you guys heard? toby petersen can do it all, score goals, fight, and he's slated to be the next pronger and play 30 mins a game
he's already at 20...MacT is breeding him to be the next stud defenceman. Craig is also expecting him to grow to be 6'5" and 240...stay tuned!

Old
02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Sachiko

Damn I forgot about Murray too. He has more heart and skill than Petersen ever will.

Old
02-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Tyrolean

Life goes on and Oilers will get great players again guaranteed. You can't change the past so look forward to the future even if it is bleak for now. Fortunately I have enough diverse interests that this lousy Oiler season doesn't completely kill me.

Tyrolean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:09 PM
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

Quote:
he's already at 20...MacT is breeding him to be the next stud defenceman. Craig is also expecting him to grow to be 6'5" and 240...stay tuned!
funny thing is...toby petersen believes he can do it...you can do anything with heart

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Killer Z

I think we all feel your pain my friend, it still kills ......

Killer Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:33 PM
westcory

You know what I miss? I miss the Old Oilers the pre-cup-run Oilers. The oilers with the two man forecheck. The hard hitting Oilers. The skate as fast as you can Oilers. I am convinced that MacT won the series against the Red Wings and thought that this is a better system to use......I would rather lose 3-0 the old way than win 1-0 this way. Everybody use to hate playing us and now the Flames like to play us!

One vote for a complete overhaul from coaches and scouts down!

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
yep...he brought more to the table than PP Petersen does

although I would've rather have gotten McAmmond at the deadline, I'll always be a R.E.M. Murray fan.
Aww, don't be too sad... everybody hurts, after all. While Lowe might've been a bit of a daysleeper thus far, it isn't like it's the end of the world as we know it, and it's nothing worth losing your religion over. Pour yourself an Orange Crush, and you'll be fine.

I'm done now.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:54 PM
88drost

Oh... Sammy Samsonov..where art thee.

88drost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:07 AM
melubsdonna

I thought this was about Moreau... =/

melubsdonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Of all the players Oiler Nation has supposedly alienated, he's the only one that I'd welcome back with absolutely no hesitation whatsoever.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Q038

bah.. when i read the title i thought this was going to be a Jari Kurri thread.. nm, i'll leave now

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:18 AM
T-Funk

i miss having a player of his skill

but the classless suckface can stay gone

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:40 AM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
Geez I'm surprised you haven't been shot down in flames yet! I made a similar post a couple months ago & was torn a new A for mentioning his name. lol

You're 100% right though.

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:50 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Aww, don't be too sad... everybody hurts, after all. While Lowe might've been a bit of a daysleeper thus far, it isn't like it's the end of the world as we know it, and it's nothing worth losing your religion over. Pour yourself an Orange Crush, and you'll be fine.

I'm done now.
how clever

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:02 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm with you man, I miss him too, but trust me when I say this: It won't be long before we're back on that same playoff run again. Think about this: All the cinderella runs(Carolina, Anaheim, Calgary)....what do they all have in common? They had contenders last year, and they have contenders this year. We'll be back for certain in the playoffs next year(and the season sure as hell isn't over yet), and we'll have a contender. Ottawa won't be able to keep Wade Redden, if they keep him for next year it's HIGHLY doubtful that he'll be there the next....and he's a guy that would love to play here and that Lowe adores. Will he make us forget Pronger? MAYBE, depends how picky you are. But with a guy like that, a guy like Smid comming along....all the talk that Lowe is trying to deal for Pitkanen...I say 2 years MAX before we're a LEGIT contender for the Cup. Oilers v Pens final in 09

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote