HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Urban Legend: Oilers Hockey?

Old
02-14-2007, 02:40 AM
fras123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
maybe you should actually watch them before you try to spout off nonsense, umm seems like last year they were one of the fastest if not the fastest teams in the league (and seems to me they still are one of the faster teams in the NHL still).Added to that they got the Oilers hockey moniker from in the late 90's when nearly every other team was trapping or clutch and grab not back in the day lik eyou say.
uhhh i doubt that, almost all playoff east teams are faster than the oilers,( obviously there are some very quick western teams as well), that was my perception of the oilers this season, theyre always getting beat to pucks and seemed to have alot of odd man rushes against them. maybe im wrong but of the games ive watched this season, oilers are definatly not one of the fastest clubs anymore

fras123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:55 AM
KFO

Im not sure if "Oilers Hockey" was all about speed and skill, it was more about effort, and getting more that what u expect out of what you had.

Edmonton defeated Colorado and Dallas all those years ago(seems like it anyways) playing "oilers hockey".

Last year, skill and a system took the oilers to the final. This year, the skill has deminished, and the system is somewhat flawed. There are very few players on this team who can play the brand of game a team like this would have to play to be successful. Play oiler hockey like it was played in the mid 90's

KFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:35 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam View Post
how many times have you read/heard this?

the Oilers are a "skating team".
the Oilers have a "skating style"
they play "Oilers hockey".
or variations.

aside from the illogic of the above.
(don't all teams skate. don't all teams have a skating style. don't all play hockey. or at least try)
seems to me.
that the Oil are not the fastest anymore.
maybe way back when:
farah fawcett was hot.
big hair was hip.
mess was moosing.
gretz was great.
but not in the new & trying to improve it's sissie image, nhl.

Nashville.
Ottawa.
Buffalo.

fast.
faster.
fastest?

so.
Oilers hockey?
truth or fiction?
fresh barn-yard reality or outdated urban myth?
The Oilers definitely do build their team with a certain style in mind, it is not a myth. Right now, the team just happens to be quite ******. They don't try to build a big, tough team, they like a smaller, faster entertaining group of as many local players as they can get. When they assemble a quality team of that ilk, it is very entertaining to watch. When they suck, like they do now, it is hard to say they have any kind of style other than putrid.

But yes, there is a style in mind when players are brought to town.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:38 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

I remember when Kariya and Selanne sold out and all the media were talking about how the Avs would bring back "Oilers hockey". It's a perception that still widely exists out there.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Steve L*

I think the stereotype is that the Oilers are good to watch, I find them incredibly boring and dont really enjoy their games at all.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:41 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

For those of you bringing personal attacks into this or taking the thread off topic...for those of you pissmatchers...

Knock it off, lest you face the fearsome soprano of my moderating guillotine.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
I think the stereotype is that the Oilers are good to watch, I find them incredibly boring and dont really enjoy their games at all.
That stereotype comes from eastern media who don't ever watch the 2nd game on HNIC. The Oilers have been one of the most boring and unispiring teams to watch this year. Its really sad too, because it wasn't just Oiler fans thinking that this team might see a return to the high flying style of old, I think everyone has been dissapointed. I mean even if people thought that Oilers would suck this year, most agreed that they would at least be losing 5-4 6-4 type games, rather than 3-0 2-1 crap fests in terms of entertainment.

But, that being said its really funny to say the Oilers suck and the Canucks rule. If the Oilers had beaten the canucks another time this year, the canucks would only be 2 points ahead of edmonton. Exact same thing last year with people saying how the Oilers were way better than the canucks because we made it into the playoffs. Can 1 or 2 games really be the deciding factor in 1 team being awesome and another team being crappy?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:55 PM
DeWalt

Oilers Hockey = Dirty Hockey

DeWalt is offline   Reply With Quote