HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

stortini=2shifts vs boston..why?

Old
02-13-2007, 11:14 PM
eastcoasteh

vCash: 500
stortini=2shifts vs boston..why?

Just wondering why Zach only got 2 shifts tonight? We are CLEARLY a better team when he's energizing us. Why the heck not give him more icetime.

PS. Nedved's done. Bring up shremp, put him on the PP. And I was actually serious about that.

eastcoasteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoasteh View Post
Just wondering why Zach only got 2 shifts tonight? We are CLEARLY a better team when he's energizing us. Why the heck not give him more icetime.

PS. Nedved's done. Bring up shremp, put him on the PP. And I was actually serious about that.
No idea, he looked good even in 2 minutes. He had the best hit out of our forwards I thought.

I am wondering because our offense looked so inept tonight I think he was double shifting them (our offensive guys) a bit hoping they would create something. They did not.

Nedved was terrible on the PP. It seemed like he got 1 or 2 of Horcoff and Hemsky's half-board shifts too.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:17 PM
HOF

Adding to that, I really thought he would have kept the Lupul-Pouliot line together as well.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:19 PM
HotToddy

Can the Moderators just put together an all-purpose "questioning Mac T's line up" thread for all of the armchairs.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:23 PM
noice
The Shield

vCash: 50
MacT needs to stop juggling lines

noice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Q038

Zach's two shifts is part of the reason im starting to question the coaching.. Grinding Smyth and Horcoff into the ground pre penalties was another.. MacT seems to be panicing...

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Oil

Send a message via AIM to Oil Send a message via MSN to Oil Send a message via Yahoo to Oil
Cause MacTavish is a fool.
I've said this in other threads, but it's relevant here....
I don't know who the hell that was behind the bench at the reigns last Spring....you know, the guy who knew how to fire his team up....the guy who knew how to handle his lines...the guy who developed awesome strategies from series to series......
Cause whoever that guy was, it's sure not the same buffoon calling the shots behind the Oiler pine this season.

How DID whoever it was manage to kidnap MacTavish, replace him with a doppelganger then get him back behind the bench in time for training camp this season without anyone noticing???

This fool had fumbled & juggled the lines all season long.....overplayed Roli AND underplayed Jussi (doing him a great dis-service), made the calling up & sending down of prospects a mockery & a ridiculous revolving door, stuck up for his grossly underachieving players blindly, in the face of clear evidence to their garbage play, developed insane love affairs with the likes of Horcoff & Petersen & generally been most lacklustre in getting his WESTERN CONFRENCE CHAMPIONS to look like they even give a damn out there, let alone show the heart that got them to Game 7 of the Finals last year & perform.

The whole coaching staff needs to go. Wipe the slate clean & bring in some OUTSIDE expertise.

Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
I wish the Oilers wouldn't have even made the playoffs last season. The tream wouldn't be bashed as much as they are. Too bad the Canucks blew it to miss the playoffs. The fans got spoiled by that run and now the Oil are being bashed. The Oil have 4 key players out but still get bashed.

02-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky View Post
The Oil have 4 key players out but still get bashed.
Fair point, but my argument to this would be to look at the Flames, who have had injuries to:

Iginla
Warrener
Regehr (to start the season)
Yelle
Hamrlik

at various points in the season.

Or the Senators:

Redden
Spezza
Fisher
Gerber (who may as well be injured)

Injuries are detrimental but they are not the sole reason why this team is performing the way it is.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:55 AM
djmarcopolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noice View Post
MacT needs to stop juggling lines
the funny thing about this is how long did he keep peterson and lupul and sykora together even though nothing was happening because everytime peterson touched the puck we lost possession somehow or other. seriously this coaching is absurd.
cheers

djmarcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:27 AM
mvprimate

Quote:
I wish the Oilers wouldn't have even made the playoffs last season. The tream wouldn't be bashed as much as they are. Too bad the Canucks blew it to miss the playoffs. The fans got spoiled by that run and now the Oil are being bashed. The Oil have 4 key players out but still get bashed.
Are you crying as you write this? Accepting that your team really is just mediocre this season is not bashing. Honestly, fans are upset and have a right to be.

Making judgments on the way a player plays or the decisions a coach makes is not bashing. There is not doubt that some players have been uderperforming, lowe has made some questionable decisions and mact as well.

Don't give me this snively why do they bother crap. Sure people are critical when times are tough but i think a lot of fans here really got behind this team last year and really got excited.

Not questioning decisions and looking at everything with rosed coloured glasses doesn't make you a better fan. IMO, it makes you a flake.

mvprimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Showerhead

Quote:
Even if what follows the bolded part is true, I want to believe that you don't really mean that first sentence

As for the Stortini question, it was quite clear MacT wanted to get his most offensive players on the ice as much as possible tonight. To tell you the truth I think that it was indeed the best strategy available based on their effectiveness in creating scoring chances and the importance of picking up two points. The only player who I thought suffered from this was Hemsky who looked like he was fighting the puck near the end of the game after a dazzling first 45 minutes or so.

The thing about coaching is that your intelligence is judged solely on results and not process. It's possible to make all of the right decisions and still lose. It's also easy to blame coaching when you don't understand why your team didn't win because it is very tough to empirically determine its effect on a game's outcome.

Still, even if the results weren't there, I personally think that MacTavish's player/ice time selection was the best possible strategy tonight.

Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 05:28 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil View Post
I don't know who the hell that was behind the bench at the reigns last Spring....you know, the guy who knew how to fire his team up....the guy who knew how to handle his lines...the guy who developed awesome strategies from series to series......
Cause whoever that guy was, it's sure not the same buffoon calling the shots behind the Oiler pine this season.

How DID whoever it was manage to kidnap MacTavish, replace him with a doppelganger then get him back behind the bench in time for training camp this season without anyone noticing???

This fool had fumbled & juggled the lines all season long.....overplayed Roli AND underplayed Jussi (doing him a great dis-service), made the calling up & sending down of prospects a mockery & a ridiculous revolving door, stuck up for his grossly underachieving players blindly, in the face of clear evidence to their garbage play, developed insane love affairs with the likes of Horcoff & Petersen & generally been most lacklustre in getting his WESTERN CONFRENCE CHAMPIONS to look like they even give a damn out there, let alone show the heart that got them to Game 7 of the Finals last year & perform.

The whole coaching staff needs to go. Wipe the slate clean & bring in some OUTSIDE expertise.
Well in the playoffs, Mactavish had a complete team. He had Roloson playing like a robot, He had the best defenseman in the league. 3 defenseman (Pronger, Spacek, Tarnstrom) who could work the PP. He had a balanced, playoff built forward core, but most importantly, he had a bench full of players who were playing their hearts out.

If MacT had the same ingredients, and the same effort as he was getting last summer, then alot of these threads wouldnt be popping up.

I'm running out of metaphors, but you cant give a chef flour and water and expect him to cook you a steak. Each and every player and coach needs to be accountable, so unless you've got 30 appendeges you can point...

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Kveldulvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil View Post

Because during the playoff run MacT was the mouthpiece for KLowe. I really believe this. How can it be that we go from a team with no game plan to a team with purpose, direction, fire, and most importantly an effective strategy that leads us to victory? I honestly believe that KLowe spoon fed MacT the strategy fro success in the playoffs, and if we make the playoffs, maybe he'll do so again.

Kveldulvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:37 AM
BleedingOil

Schremp doesn't derserve a call-up but our PP isn't looking good so it's possible he gets one. I doubt it though.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:40 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kveldulvr View Post
Because during the playoff run MacT was the mouthpiece for KLowe. I really believe this. How can it be that we go from a team with no game plan to a team with purpose, direction, fire, and most importantly an effective strategy that leads us to victory? I honestly believe that KLowe spoon fed MacT the strategy fro success in the playoffs, and if we make the playoffs, maybe he'll do so again.
And do you wear tinfoil on your head too?

creative giant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Raoul Duke*

21 minutes total of PP/PK time throughout the game surely took a lot away from his amount of ice time. Still no excuse for how little he played.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:14 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
21 minutes total of PP/PK time throughout the game surely took a lot away from his amount of ice time. Still no excuse for how little he played.
What about the fact that the Oilers were trailing on the score board and Stortini is not likely to contribute on the score sheet.

Slide in the fact that Stortini hasn't really proven that he can sit for 20 minutes straight and still be effective and energetic with a sporatic shift as the game goes.

And couple that with the fact that two of Edmonton's most reliable penalty killers are sitting in Edmonton with concusions while Stortini's best method of inspiring the troops will be watched closely by the ref's and I think it all makes perfect sense to be honest.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Quote:

4 games more and then I start knee capping guys like Nedved and Sykora to bring up schremp and others

last nights loss has me not making phone calls to pick up a play

if the oiler lost 2 of the next 4 games--I start making phone calls to move players

Sortini is the a tough guy that will find his nitch and he will get more shifts shortly

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:57 AM
noice
The Shield

Best player last night IMO was Poiliot
If he ruined Thomas shut out would of been nice

Shremp isn't NHL ready

noice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Oilthrash

Quote:

That is 2 shifts too many for Stortini!! He does nothing but clog up the ice and make everyone on his line look bad. He is an ECHL player at best and does not fit in the new NHL. I am glad PT is back and hopefully when Stoll is healthy they will get rid of Stinktini.

Oilthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Wrecker99

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
What about the fact that the Oilers were trailing on the score board and Stortini is not likely to contribute on the score sheet.

Slide in the fact that Stortini hasn't really proven that he can sit for 20 minutes straight and still be effective and energetic with a sporatic shift as the game goes.

And couple that with the fact that two of Edmonton's most reliable penalty killers are sitting in Edmonton with concusions while Stortini's best method of inspiring the troops will be watched closely by the ref's and I think it all makes perfect sense to be honest.
He has more goals in the last couple few games than many of the other Oilers (yeah I know it's only one)

Wrecker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker99 View Post
He has more goals in the last couple few games than many of the other Oilers (yeah I know it's only one)
Yeah, what's that saying about the blind squirrel again?

If I were a betting man, I would likemy chances with the other guys more...

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekki View Post
And do you wear tinfoil on your head too?

I love to laugh... thank you for that!

This is MacT's MO. You get behind early, you play the crap out of your finesse players to try and get back in. Seriously, if TT wouldn't have stood on his head, it would have worked IMO. People seem to be forgetting that Thomas stole this game for Boston.

Having said that I think that MacT should have given Storts a regular run. The guy creates offense with his forecheck. Give him a go on the top line with Horc and Smytty, as Hemsky seemed to be having one of his lazy turnover games.

Hemmer seemed to have more going when he played with Sykie last night. I wish Hemmer would find some consistency in his game. He called himself out, had a 4 point night, but has seemed to regress a bit again. Man he's still fun to watch though.

02-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
That is funny because you said everyone was doing the same thing last year, during the season before the playoff run. Sometimes your posts are so predictable and just repeat the same stuff over and over. Do you have this stuff in a file and just cut n paste it? Just wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post

I love to laugh... thank you for that!

This is MacT's MO. You get behind early, you play the crap out of your finesse players to try and get back in. Seriously, if TT wouldn't have stood on his head, it would have worked IMO. People seem to be forgetting that Thomas stole this game for Boston.
You thought that? We clearly watched a different game. I thought we did not test TT very much and did not get a lot of traffic in front of him. Most of our shots either missed the net or were right into his pads or dead center of his chest. I just do not see that, our offense was extremely inept and out of sync against Boston, Boston did not even play that well but looked better than we did for much of the game.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote