HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Will the market really be that big for Giguere?

Old
02-15-2007, 02:32 PM
BruinAddict

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact View Post
Yes I have mentioned him before. He IS a suitable guy to have as either a backup or a rotating starter with Tim Thomas. For me, he's at the top of the Weekes, Aebischer, Thibault, etc. list, making him the 3rd best goaltending commodity on the UFA market.

My first 2 choices are Giguere and Biron. But what if they are not available? What then? You just said yourself that Garon is probably the next best available goalie. So why not get him? The other choice is to keep the same tandem and hope that Toivonen gets better. That's a HUGE risk imho.

Timmy plays way too much hockey to be an effective no.1 goalie. He plays Luongo, Brodeur, Kirprusoff number of games. Timmy is not in this category. He needs to be playing 30-40, 45 max. Garon is a goalie in the same boat. He could play 40 and be pretty good.

Option 1 - Giguere
Option 2 - Biron
Option 3 - Garon
Option 4 - Aebischer
Option 5 - don't sign a goalie
I don't recall saying Garon is the next best available goalie, but either way, signing Garon would be the same as signing 2 fourth line centers, what's the point? Either upgrade in goal, or don't bother. Adding more depth, to me, isn't going to help the situation in any way. Signing another goalie to team up with Thomas leaves Toivonen where? Just added to the goaltending graveyard known as Boston?

People are always saying that Thomas is playing too much, but really, we've never seen Thomas come in after sitting for extended periods of time. He's been the workhorse his entire tenure with the Bruins. We cannot be confident that Thomas' play will improve with less playing time. Thomas' best seasons have come when he's worked like a dog.

BruinAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:44 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinAddict View Post
I don't recall saying Garon is the next best available goalie, but either way, signing Garon would be the same as signing 2 fourth line centers, what's the point? Either upgrade in goal, or don't bother. Adding more depth, to me, isn't going to help the situation in any way. Signing another goalie to team up with Thomas leaves Toivonen where? Just added to the goaltending graveyard known as Boston?

People are always saying that Thomas is playing too much, but really, we've never seen Thomas come in after sitting for extended periods of time. He's been the workhorse his entire tenure with the Bruins. We cannot be confident that Thomas' play will improve with less playing time. Thomas' best seasons have come when he's worked like a dog.
You said Garon was the best of the Weekes, Aebischer, etc. list...bascially the B list. That would make him the next best available goaltender after Giguere and Biron. Getting Garon IS an upgrade in goal imho. It gives Thomas somebody who can win some games and make some saves while he gets rest. Where does that leave Toivonen? In Providence...where he belongs right now. He needs to work on a lot of things most importantly his confidence. Thomas is better off not playing at all than he is playing the amount of games right now. It's just too much for a goalie who just isn't THAT great. It's less of a risk to be confident that Thomas could be a decent backup or 1b goaltender than it is to go into next season expecting him to once again carry the workload (I'm talking 60-70 games).

CombatOnContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:48 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:
You said Garon was the best of the Weekes, Aebischer, etc. list...bascially the B list. That would make him the next best available goaltender after Giguere and Biron. Getting Garon IS an upgrade in goal imho. It gives Thomas somebody who can win some games and make some saves while he gets rest. Where does that leave Toivonen? In Providence...where he belongs right now. He needs to work on a lot of things most importantly his confidence. Thomas is better off not playing at all than he is playing the amount of games right now. It's just too much for a goalie who just isn't THAT great. It's less of a risk to be confident that Thomas could be a decent backup or 1b goaltender than it is to go into next season expecting him to once again carry the workload (I'm talking 60-70 games).
I think you're seeing things, where did I say this?

If PC is planning on having Toivonen in Providence next season, he should be there right now. He's not even getting a sniff of playing time and yet he's still being kept under shackles riding the pine.

Old
02-15-2007, 02:55 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
I think you're seeing things, where did I say this?

If PC is planning on having Toivonen in Providence next season, he should be there right now. He's not even getting a sniff of playing time and yet he's still being kept under shackles riding the pine.
Garon needs to be grouped with the likes of Weekes, Aebischer, etc.

You are right, I am seeing things. I thought you said that he was the best of this group, which I believe he is.

I agree with you 100% about Toivonen. But I find it hard to believe that given Hannu's recent play and current situation that Chiarelli would go into next season hoping he'll bounce back. Whatever goalie the Bruins pick up in the offseason (if they do) will at worst, split time with Thomas/Toivonen. My money's on Thomas being the backup/rotating starter while Toivonen returns to Providence for a full season of seasoning.

Old
02-15-2007, 03:09 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:
I agree with you 100% about Toivonen. But I find it hard to believe that given Hannu's recent play and current situation that Chiarelli would go into next season hoping he'll bounce back. Whatever goalie the Bruins pick up in the offseason (if they do) will at worst, split time with Thomas/Toivonen. My money's on Thomas being the backup/rotating starter while Toivonen returns to Providence for a full season of seasoning.
You're right, there's not much option otherwise. Toivonen has proved that he's not ready and PC would be foolish to go into next season thinking he's going to solve the team's goaltending problems.

I just see this whole situation as a lose-lose one unless he gets a bonafide #1 and to me, the only goalie who falls under that category is Giguere. Unfortunately for us, the odds of Giguere signing here are next to zero and the odds of PC fitting him into the payroll are even worse.

As far as a platoon situation goes, the only goalie worthwhile to do that with would be Biron. I think Biron's play this year has proven that he's no where near a bonafide #1 in this league, but I would put him ahead of the likes of Garon, Weekes, etc.

To me it's:

Giguere

...big drop

Biron

...small to medium size drop

The rest. (Thomas falls here)

To make it worthwhile to sign a goalie, either upgrade on Thomas, which is Biron/Giguere only or don't bother. Thomas has proven both this year and last that he can preform to the same standard as the Garons, Weekes, etc. with a heavy workload.

Old
02-15-2007, 03:24 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
You're right, there's not much option otherwise. Toivonen has proved that he's not ready and PC would be foolish to go into next season thinking he's going to solve the team's goaltending problems.

I just see this whole situation as a lose-lose one unless he gets a bonafide #1 and to me, the only goalie who falls under that category is Giguere. Unfortunately for us, the odds of Giguere signing here are next to zero and the odds of PC fitting him into the payroll are even worse.

As far as a platoon situation goes, the only goalie worthwhile to do that with would be Biron. I think Biron's play this year has proven that he's no where near a bonafide #1 in this league, but I would put him ahead of the likes of Garon, Weekes, etc.

To me it's:

Giguere

...big drop

Biron

...small to medium size drop

The rest. (Thomas falls here)

To make it worthwhile to sign a goalie, either upgrade on Thomas, which is Biron/Giguere only or don't bother. Thomas has proven both this year and last that he can preform to the same standard as the Garons, Weekes, etc. with a heavy workload.
This is true. But then, who do you have as a backup if you're going to play Thomas the majority of the time? Do you have faith in Toivonen that he can play 10-20 games and not give up 5+ in each? Or do you get a suitable backup and give Hannu a full year in Providence? This is why I think the Bruins need to sign a goalie first and foremost. Hannu does not belong in the NHL this season, or next (barring a miraculous change). If they can't get Giguere or Biron, then Thomas is a starter/rotating starter and they still need a backup. I don't want to see Thomas play more than 50 games next season. I also don't want Toivonen playing the other 30 or so. As for the cap, it's been rumoured that it will jump up as high as 50m. Meaning the Bruins would have more than enough space to sign a goalie and some players. No worries there.

Again, I'm fine with Thomas being the no.1. As long as he has a backup that can fill in if he's injured/tired and as long as that backup's name isn't Hannu Toivonen. Thus, the Bruins need to sign a goalie.

Old
02-15-2007, 04:05 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:
This is true. But then, who do you have as a backup if you're going to play Thomas the majority of the time? Do you have faith in Toivonen that he can play 10-20 games and not give up 5+ in each? Or do you get a suitable backup and give Hannu a full year in Providence? This is why I think the Bruins need to sign a goalie first and foremost. Hannu does not belong in the NHL this season, or next (barring a miraculous change). If they can't get Giguere or Biron, then Thomas is a starter/rotating starter and they still need a backup. I don't want to see Thomas play more than 50 games next season. I also don't want Toivonen playing the other 30 or so. As for the cap, it's been rumoured that it will jump up as high as 50m. Meaning the Bruins would have more than enough space to sign a goalie and some players. No worries there.

Again, I'm fine with Thomas being the no.1. As long as he has a backup that can fill in if he's injured/tired and as long as that backup's name isn't Hannu Toivonen. Thus, the Bruins need to sign a goalie.
If they can sign a reasonable backup/platoon goalie for around the same price they are paying Timmy (on a short contract), then go for it. Ride the hot hand and hope for the best. It's a tough situation that's for sure...

Old
02-15-2007, 04:17 PM
CombatOnContact

Quote:
If they can sign a reasonable backup/platoon goalie for around the same price they are paying Timmy (on a short contract), then go for it. Ride the hot hand and hope for the best. It's a tough situation that's for sure...
I consider Mathieu Garon a reasonable backup/platoon goalie. Though he might command a little more than Timmy being a UFA. I think it would be healthy competition between Garon and Thomas.