HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rental players are a joke

Old
02-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Loweball

vCash: 500
Rental players are a joke

After my daily read of Spector's Trade Rumours, and the mention of Joe Sakic going to the Rags as a rental player, i was left thinking:

How in the world can a player play for one team his career (ahem.. Ray Bourque) and find it rewarding, even in the slightest, to win a Stanley Cup for somebody else? What a friggin joke. Doug Weight is another one that comes to mind.

If we become sellers, i am sure Smytty would not find it rewarding winning with someone else.

I have buddies who are Bruins fans and love Ray Bourque. They thought him winning the cup in Colorado was a kick in the gut. A complete joke and i agree. And to top it off, they hang his jersey in the rafters. It shouldn't even be acknowledged, nevermind have his # retired.

Winning is not everything. Especially when you have no part of the building process. And before i get flamed as it's the GM's decision, i say hogwash. A player like Ray Bourque chose that route. What did Slats call players like that? Wasn't it a "carpetbagger"?

Last edited by Loweball: 02-14-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Payne

I shared the same opinion... until this morning. I was eating breakfast thinking about the annual drive for eighth place. This road trip is a beast and we all know they could easily be out the running by the time they get home for Messier night.

My heart says you can't trade away guys with the logo on their heart, but my head says otherwise. If the Oil are out of it in 10 days and teams are offering blue chip picks/prospects Lowe has got to do it. Get a handshake deal that has Smyth sign a respectable long term deal on July 1st and they're a better team down the road.

Yeah it would be a kick in the junk to see him hoist the cup for anyone but the Oil (unless it was against Calgary of course), but keeping him out of spite and losing for nothing is stupid. The truth hurts.

Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:31 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

It's a business, bud. Organizations don't value anything but winning. Service is honestly not going to get you anywhere in this league without having results. If Ryan Smyth never wins a cup with the Oilers, you'll never see his name in the rafters, guaranteed. Bourque got his name up there because he took them to 2 cup finals, not to forget break many records for defensemen.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Loweball

I can see it if a player does a gentlemanly hand shake.

Ray Bourque's situaution was just brutal though. Wanted to win a cup before he retired. I lost respect for him completely. Loyalty and pride for a team you played 20 years for is worth more than lifting a cup for a team you played 20 games for.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:36 AM
alanschu

Obviously there are those that would disagree with you.

If Smyth wants to win a Stanley Cup, I'm sure he'd find it plenty rewarding to win it regardless of where he goes.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

vCash: 50
How can there be a bigger joke than the Craigs as coaches?

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:25 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post

Ray Bourque's situaution was just brutal though. Wanted to win a cup before he retired. I lost respect for him completely. Loyalty and pride for a team you played 20 years for is worth more than lifting a cup for a team you played 20 games for.
Pretty presumptious, don't you think? Yeah these guys probably have favorite teams, but they've spent their entire lives dedicated to a sport with the ultimate goal being the stanley cup. This is THE life goal for many of these players.

Before a player ever reaches the NHL and plays on an NHL team, he has had a million dreams of hoisting the cup and the jersey underneath didn't matter quite so much

Marconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:45 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
As we all know, no matter what Lowe does, it's 100% guarantee, he'll be bashed. Happens after every trade.

02-14-2007, 02:59 AM
JonQuixote

With Bourque it would have been bad if he won his cup after playing all of a dozen regular season games with the Avs. That would have felt wrong, at least to me.

At least when he won it, he played a full season with that team. It really was *his* team, even if it was still an odd uniform to see him wearing.

I think it's only really an issue when a player is largely identified with one team with his career - Bourque or Sakic being of that type - and usually when they haven't won a Cup yet. It didn't seem right that Bourque had a cup, but the B's didn't. However, while a Cup in St. Louis (or Edmonton) might have meant something different, maybe something greater, to Doug Weight, I have to think that Carolina Cup still meant a Stanley Cup to him, and all that entails.

A rental certainly isn't always a merc addition and by implication a lesser class of teammate. I think if the Oilers had won the Cup last year, Roli would have hoisted it with no less enthusiasm or entitlement than if he was doing it wearing a Wild jersey.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:50 AM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
If Smyth wants to win a Stanley Cup, I'm sure he'd find it plenty rewarding to win it regardless of where he goes.
This is a little like letting your wife sleep with Antonio Banderas only to have a handshake deal that she'll come back to you.

Then again, it's only hockey. If the Oilers aren't going to win then I'd want to see Smytty win it....although that would be like WATCHING your wife sleeping with Antonio....hmmmm..

Hockey players are greedy ********? You decide.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:14 AM
alanschu

What does a handshake deal have to do with anything? I'm not talking about renting him out and resigning him. I'm talking about whether or not Smyth highly values winning a Stanley Cup.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 05:31 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post

You forget some of the things that happened leading to the trade

Bruins came to him and asked him if he would accept a trade--Bruins were getting offers from several teams and after awhile they had to come to Bourque and ask what he wanted to do---The Bruins were looking at was going on around that team and new at the time they were a few years away from a cup win and Bourque was already deciding when he would retire--The bruins ask him--what team would he take a trade to and he named colorodo

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:26 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky View Post
As we all know, no matter what Lowe does, it's 100% guarantee, he'll be bashed. Happens after every trade.
Any idea how many times you've used the word " bashed " since you started posting here ?

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Isn't the goal for every NHL player is to get his name on the Stanley Cup?

Ray Bourque sure didn't look dissapointed when he raised the Cup. This after he claimed he'd rather stay in Boston.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky View Post
What does this even have to do with this thread about whether rental players should get any respect?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:37 AM
bigbadbruin77

I wanted Bourque to to bring the cup to Boston, but it never happened. But Bourque is my favorite player and to see him finally raise the cup was worth it I guess. I wouldn't consider him a rental player, because he came back a second year and then one the cup. Playing the entire year is different than 10-15 games.

bigbadbruin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Raoul Duke*

Colorado retiring Bourque's number is the most pathetic ceremony in NHL history. He played what a total of 90 games in that jersey?

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote