HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scathing Avery article

Old
02-14-2007, 09:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/colum...bernstein.html

Wow. I knew he had a reputation, but this...

I still feel he can be a force for good and not evil.
Written by a guy who is injection his own emotions into the piece. He also demonstrates he knows little about the Ranger organization.

Scathing? Eh. Biased? Without a doubt.

02-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Written by a guy who is injection his own emotions into the piece. He also demonstrates he knows little about the Ranger organization.
Calling Jason Ward a "roster player" was something I kind of laughed at.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 09:41 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

First off, no quotes from anyone in the article. No problem, but it just amounts to an opinion piece. I can do that too.

So Avery is bad guy, makes ill-advised racial remarks to players, call French-Cads soft (dont forget the visor), is a cancer in the locker room, got fined for diving, isn't a good hockey player, got suspended from the Kings.

THEN the Kings re-signed him for $1.1 mil. He must be doing something right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julitog View Post
This guy has an axe to grind, what a jerk !

I have been a Kings fan for almost 30 years; most Kings fans will miss Avery. Avery has good speed, huge heart, back checks, draws a lot of penalties and has decent hands. He is no saint, and sometimes takes ill advised penalties.
Sean will be missed!!

Good Luck !!
As much as the "other" team likes to say they got the better end of the deal, it's very rare for so many fans to come forward with praise for their traded player. julitog's comments are by far the common theme.

02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

What a dick that guy is.....bitter much.

Best part of that article is this:

"you know all about the WWAD shirts, now you can put them up for auction on eBay, folks."

I was not aware of What Would Avery Do T shirts. But I might have to have one now.

02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Stoney La Rock

Maybe this guy is a friend of Bryan Haywards. Didn't him and Avery have an issue sometime last year? What a stupid article. I wasn't 100% for the Avery trade, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far. If this guy wants to argue that Avery's presence in NY hasn't already been felt in a positive way, he's an idiot.

On the other hand, I just read that Avery said that Nickelback is Canada's "worst export ever." Now that I'm going to hold against him.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Goalie_Gal

What is this guy's basis for asserting that EVERY player in the Kings' locker room disliked him? Especially when he has to resort to a "well he won't say it publicly but *I* know better because I know what everyone is thinking" stance.

Whatever.

Trust me, I groaned when I heard the news. As much as I didn't like him (just from media, unlike this guy I make no assertions that I have inside information), I recognized that we sorely needed a player like him on this team, and the last few games has proven that point quite nicely. I'm not ready to bow down and worship him as the answer to all the Rangers' problems, but I've definitely come around from my initial reaction to the trade.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
On the other hand, I just read that Avery said that Nickelback is Canada's "worst export ever." Now that I'm going to hold against him.
Ill give him a pass on that one

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Kendo

I like how he roffles at the suggestion that Lombardi wanted a first rounder...then the guy goes on to say a bag of pucks and two broken sticks should have been sufficient.

"Sir, your extreme is laughable! My extreme is clearly the way it really is."

Tool.

I actually thought a later pick should have been included with Avery, but besides that, the trade seems like fair market value to me.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Kendo

Quote:
...I just read that Avery said that Nickelback is Canada's "worst export ever."
After reading that quote, i would have included a first-rounder to get him.

If he went on to say "Rush is Canada's best export ever," I would even take the sarcasm smiley off of my previous statement.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Choice

Quote:

On the other hand, I just read that Avery said that Nickelback is Canada's "worst export ever."
That clinches it. I'm getting an Avery jersey.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
On the other hand, I just read that Avery said that Nickelback is Canada's "worst export ever."
That's great.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:46 PM
broadwayblue

wow, to even wish the guy "bad luck" is pretty harsh. as someone else said, Avery must have kicked his dog or something.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:31 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

From FHM

Quote:
Whatís made you the most hated guy in the league?
Iíd say itís mostly the on-ice stuff. I talk a lot of trash. I told one guy he should let his dog lick his face, not chew it. When I really, really dislike a guy, I usually start in on the wife. I usually just say that his wife is either fat or ugly. One of the two.
Quote:
On Nashville Predators forward Darcy Hordichuk:
ďHordichuk is the worst player in the NHL. Heís an embarrassment. He canít even skate, he canít shoot, and he canít pass. Just look at the stats.Ē
Imagine the career if he could just linger in NY for 5 years or so with some strong playoff runs thrown in?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM
ic3d2

Avery's rediculous, why doesn't brett hull pick on this cat let ruutu alone

ic3d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

After reading that FHM article I have no idea why people could not like Sean Avery lol. I guess his bluntness and cockyness bothers people, he should fit in with New Yorkers though just fine

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
If he went on to say "Rush is Canada's best export ever," I would even take the sarcasm smiley off of my previous statement.
Rush is Canada's best export ever. Period. (Sean Avery's opinion nothwithstanding.)

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Rush is Canada's best export ever. Period. (Sean Avery's opinion nothwithstanding.)

Old
02-14-2007, 02:58 PM
broadwayblue

Iíd say itís mostly the on-ice stuff. I talk a lot of trash. I told one guy he should let his dog lick his face, not chew it. When I really, really dislike a guy, I usually start in on the wife. I usually just say that his wife is either fat or ugly. One of the two.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:20 PM
vlh1220

I would definitely take this guy's opinion with a grain of salt. There are several complete fabrications in this article. For one, Yzerman and Avery still have a good friendship. Yzerman was one of the first guys Avery called after the end of last season to ask him for advice. Secondly, Lapierrerre did not fight Avery this year over the french canadian comment. He hated Avery from their days of playing together with the Kings. He wanted to fight Avery because he heard that Avery was going around L.A. saying that he was going to kick Lapierrerre's ass after Ian signed with the Avalanche.

Avery definitely had his moments with the Kings, this year he was able to control his emotions and I think he will only get better at that. I think he really wants to be a Ranger, and loves being in New York. I've watched a lot of Kings games and have now tuned in to watch the Rangers since Avery was traded, and I see a different demeanor about him with the teammates in New York that I didn't see in L.A. He rarely interacted with his teammates on the bench and on the ice in L.A. Now I see him talking and laughing with teammates, he looks like he's having fun playing hockey. I never got that impression when I watched him play for the Kings. And yes I'm a huge Sean Avery fan so I've paid a lot more attention to articles that have been written about him and comments that he has made, and that have been made about him. That's why this guy's take on Avery I think is way over the top and exaggerated. Almost every hockey analyst on TV will tell you that Avery is a skilled hockey player.

Almost every analyst was asked about the trade after the news broke, and they all said that they would have made that deal for Avery. They can't all be wrong can they? So all I have to say is GO RANGERS!

vlh1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Anyone down for a "Crazy 6's" Line?

Dupuis(61) - Avery(16) - Jagr(68)

Thats probably the dumbest line anyone has ever thought of, but anythings possible with Renney behind the bench!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Count me as one of the guys who always loved Avery during his time in L.A. Dude is a serious talent on the ice, regardless of what most people thought before he was dealt to NY. Not saying you guys, but most people back east hated him and yet they never even saw him play! He's racist yada yada. He can't play yada yada. We heard it all for years. Dude came out and played hard, busted his ass for the win. Only downside to Sean is that his act in the lockerroom wears on a lot of guys. Not every teammate is liked, Sean is just one of those guys. I'll continue to root for him for sure.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Anyone down for a "Crazy 6's" Line?

Dupuis(61) - Avery(16) - Jagr(68)

Thats probably the dumbest line anyone has ever thought of, but anythings possible with Renney behind the bench!

The line from HELL.

Old
02-14-2007, 03:50 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

I don't know what made me think of it....maybe the comparisons to Matty. But Barnaby engaged in no small amount of smack talking. One story had him telling Lyle Odeline that Odie looked like Cornelius and Odie lost it. Went after Barnaby and was completely unhinged.

Avery reminds me of that. He is the type of player that can take residence inside an opponent's head and start to rearrange the furniture.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
HoustonHockeyNut

Seems to me that Avery's still getting a bad rap for things that happened LAST season. It seemed like once a month Sean was the top story on TSN for something stupid he said or did on or off the ice. This year? Not so much. Could it be that he's doing exactly what he said before this season started and *GASP* cleaning up his game just a bit, sticking to his agitator role and shying away from being the clown?

HoustonHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 04:56 PM
nyrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by julitog View Post
This guy has an axe to grind, what a jerk !

I have been a Kings fan for almost 30 years; most Kings fans will miss Avery. Avery has good speed, huge heart, back checks, draws a lot of penalties and has decent hands. He is no saint, and sometimes takes ill advised penalties. The Kings are rebuilding and my understanding is the Kings loved Cliche, I guess every time they went to see Bernier the Cliche kid impressed the scouts. My son is a mite travel player and celebrates a goal by doing "Avery pushups on the ice" when he heard Sean was traded he was not happy! I met Sean last year in Montreal and spoke to him for a few minutes he was so psyched up to play and seemed to enjoyed the Canadian crowd booing him, he also made a point of throwing warm up pucks to almost all the fans wearing Kings jerseys at the Bell Center during warmups.

Sean will be missed!!

Good Luck !!
No offense, but I wouldn't want Avery to be my kid's role model. I coach 8 and 9 year olds and if one them started doing push-ups on the ice, I'm pretty sure that would be the last time he did it on my team. I guess I'm old school.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote