HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres recall Miller

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Allan

vCash: 500
Sabres recall Miller

http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/12/187608.html

Buffalo has recalled Ryan Miller from Rochester, but there is no mention anywhere of either of the other two goalies being hurt. Anybody else thinking that this may mean they are looking to trade? Goaltending depth has been discussed to death here, and I'd rather see a defenceman, but what do you think of the possibility of Biron or Noronen in Edmonton or Toronto in the near future?

Old
12-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Scorpion88

I was sorta thinking the same. Although I really like Salo, picking up Biron could work for this team. If you could manage to sneak him for someone other than Comrie (Horcoff, Chimera, Prospects, Picks, etc.) than you could probably put together a package deal of Salo and Comrie and get a decent return or trade each separate and find a good top four D-man. Just my thoughts.

BTW, A Quick Comparison

Biron - 26 Years Old - 2.2 Million
Salo - 32 Years Old - 3.9 Million

Old
12-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
http://nhl.com/onthefly/news/2003/12/187608.html

Buffalo has recalled Ryan Miller from Rochester, but there is no mention anywhere of either of the other two goalies being hurt. Anybody else thinking that this may mean they are looking to trade? Goaltending depth has been discussed to death here, and I'd rather see a defenceman, but what do you think of the possibility of Biron or Noronen in Edmonton or Toronto in the near future?

If it's including that Comrie, you're dreaming again!

Old
12-08-2003, 08:21 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
If it's including that Comrie, you're dreaming again!
I didn't mention Comrie, did I? I have no idea what Buffalo would want for either of these two (I doubt Miller would be available), but the Oilers do have far more forward depth than in goal, and I can see how there would be interest. If you have any suggestions, as opposed to shooting down a proposal I didn't make, I would be interested to hear them.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

If the Wings were unable to unload Joseph on anyone even after being willing to eat the bulk of his contract, how does Lowe stand a chance of dumping Salo and his 3.9M albatross?

It seems obvious that either Noronen or Biron is going to go somewhere, but I'd be shocked if it was Edmonton.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Allan

I know. More of a pipe dream than anything else. I guess if the Oilers trade for a goalie, it would have to be someone younger who could be sent down for the rest of the year, and come in next season.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:33 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

We coulda had Mikko Kiprusoff for virtually nothing.

Old
12-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Yeah, we could've. Then what do we do with Salo...take him out back and shoot him? You may as well, 'cause you're not going to trade him anywhere in the forseeable future.

Send Conklin down? After how he's stood in the line of fire to cover for Salo's injury? And even if you do send him down, there's a decent to good chance he gets picked up on the wire. If Valiquette can get taken, Conklin surely can.

Let Kiprusoff have his little hot streak. He's not worth fretting over IMO.

Old
12-08-2003, 09:08 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

It was said that we probably couldn't get another goalie unless he was really young AHL material. Not entirely true. Yes, we'd have to deal with the Salo issue, but I felt it was worth mentioning, considering how we're always talking about how much it would take to pick up a young goalie.

Old
12-08-2003, 09:32 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
I'm going to stick my neck out and rpepare to get flamed (HA!) for this but here's my whacky trade proposal involving Buffalo:

3 way deal in which...

Edmonton trades: Laraque&Comrie to Buffalo, then Salo to Chicago (but probably not all of his salary).

Buffalo sends: any one of their goalies, I don't care which one + Jay McKee to Edmonton.

Chicago sends: whatever Buffalo needs to balance the deal.

not perfect but throw in the needed draft picks here and there...

This is predicated on the thought that I heard Jay McKee was bitter with the Sabres and might want out. I actually don't know how much he makes off the top of my head but he is a D-man who could be top 3 with us no?

Before you flame me big... if Edmonton had to add to the pot still, I would still be interested.

I can't believe Chicago is not willing to take on an experienced goalie... have they won a game since October?

Last edited by Guy Flaming: 12-08-2003 at 09:48 PM.
Old
12-08-2003, 09:40 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Chicago will not take on a goalie who makes more than 1 million dollars, at that point there is no reason to move Salo as it isn't a huge salary ump (sorry fr the screwed i[writing its dark and well yea its dark)

Anyway, Chicago is wicked cheap as has been noted in many a post and article.

Old
12-08-2003, 09:48 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Yeah, we could've. Then what do we do with Salo...take him out back and shoot him? You may as well, 'cause you're not going to trade him anywhere in the forseeable future.

Send Conklin down? After how he's stood in the line of fire to cover for Salo's injury? And even if you do send him down, there's a decent to good chance he gets picked up on the wire. If Valiquette can get taken, Conklin surely can.

Let Kiprusoff have his little hot streak. He's not worth fretting over IMO.
Hey man, taking Turek out back and shooting him is Calgary's philosophy right now. :p

Old
12-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Hey man, taking Turek out back and shooting him is Calgary's philosophy right now. :p
Wait, I thought you guys already did that to McLennan after his stellar preseason performances?

Old
12-08-2003, 10:05 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Wait, I thought you guys already did that to McLennan after his stellar preseason performances?
Haha, ya, He'll be gone when Turek is back is my guess. Too bad, by all reports he's a great locker room guy and has really stepped up when needed. He's just not as good as Kiprusoff, and Turek will be around no matter what.

Old
12-09-2003, 05:33 AM
copperandblue

I think Guy has an interesting suggestion in shopping Salo to Chicago.

Their starter is out for a few months leaving them with only a couple kids to hold things down. They are struggling big time and wether they are writing the season off or not, they have to provide some inkling of hope to the few fans remaining in Chicago to indicate respectability.

Simply put they need a short term goalie fix and Salo could quite possibly be the perfect fit.

They won't go after Cujo because for starters he is twice as expensive and Chicago will be stuck with him for an additional year. Something they don't need salary or personell wise. They don't need to go after a young kid because they got two decent prospects and Thibault to help them after this year.

So that brings us to Salo. He is a goalie that, I think, has some good hockey left in him. The change of scenery could quite possibly carry an improved play by him for the remainder of this season at minimum. And most importantly Chicago can walk away from him at the end of this season because he is only under an option for next year.

All in all it doesn't seem out of whack to me. Even if we only got a late round pick for him the money saved would certainly open up some possibilties for other deals.

Old
12-09-2003, 05:43 AM
hunter orange

How bout this doozie 3-way:

To Edmonton:
Noronen, Vishnevski, Boulton, Buff 2nd

To Anaheim:
Comrie

To Buffalo:
Laraque, Perry

Old
12-09-2003, 11:15 AM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
A second round pick is hardly next to nothing for the Oilers. For them, trading draft picks is worse than pulling teeth.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:19 AM
USC Trojans
New Era

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=63707

Noronen's throat was cut so maybe they're staying put for a while.

Closed Thread