HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Salary Cap to rise from $44 million to $50 million next year....?!

Old
02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Puckhead58*

vCash: 500
Salary Cap

I heard that the Salary Cap is supposed to go up again.....my question is....what was the sense of having a new CBA and a salary cap if the cap is going to keep going up?? I sure hope it is all from league revenues, because if it isn't then the small market teams are going to struggle again and the teams like New York and Detroit are going to have all the money and all the superstars.

I'd say if it goes up to $50 million, it should stay there and not go any higher!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Oiltown16

and the Oilers sell big players again...
those 2 years were a tease if this is true.

Oiltown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
As far as I can tell this system is working exactly like it was outlined originally. It seems to me people are under-estimating the popularity of NHL hockey in certain markets. And to suggest the league is 'doctoring' the numbers is absolutely ridiculous. Like IB said that would be madness for a private business entity involved in this CBA-style relationship.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:36 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Cue small market teams and their fans to start crying like little *****es about how they're getting ****ed over.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:43 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan120582 View Post
Great. We have a lockout, get one year of true equality where we get Pronger and make the Stanley Cup finals, and now we are back where we started where all the top players will go to the big markets.

All we hear is doom and gloom about how seniors lawn bowling is more popular in the US than hockey, yet revenues continue to rise dramatically? I really wish Americans hated hockey as much as is often reported...
RIGHT ON CUE!!!

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst233 View Post
I don't trust a guy who types in all caps. I've heard 1.5-2 million all year, and I'm supposed to change my opinion when some blogger who can't work a keyboard propoerly tells me of some 6 million dollar jump? But...

...if it's true, more room to keep both Briere and Drury
It's not just "some blogger" His name is Dave Pratt, he hosts the Pratt & Taylor show on team 1040 everyday from 3-7.

http://www.team1040.ca/show.php?pers...y=pratt_taylor

He wouldn't just make this stuff up, he even mentioned it on the Radio, infact its called "Prats Rant" and he says it on air, and then for people who missed it, he puts it up on his blog.

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Artz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
I heard that the Salary Cap is supposed to go up again.....my question is....what was the sense of having a new CBA and a salary cap if the cap is going to keep going up?? I sure hope it is all from league revenues, because if it isn't then the small market teams are going to struggle again and the teams like New York and Detroit are going to have all the money and all the superstars.

I'd say if it goes up to $50 million, it should stay there and not go any higher!!!!

The Cap is tied to league wide revenues. If revenues go up, so too does the cap. The players get a percentage of league wide revenue. Makes perfect sense.

Artz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:25 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan120582 View Post
Great. We have a lockout, get one year of true equality where we get Pronger and make the Stanley Cup finals, and now we are back where we started where all the top players will go to the big markets.
Do you understand economics or do you just like to whine?

Players make the same money no matter what. That's the whole point. If you don't want to pay Pronger $10m, that's fine - don't. But it won't be because you can't - it will be because you don't want to.

That is completely different than pre-lockout and a team's choice entirely.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:41 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King © View Post
slowly but surely ludicrous contracts will start rolling back in the nhl...ugh
No they wont.

The cap max is still the same percentage no matter what. Salaries are probably going to hardly go above 7m

Plus there's the risk of a lowering cap so you don't want to spend up against it.

The ceiling may be higher but its still a controlled enviroment.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
sticknrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God View Post
I read in SI that they expect a huge revenue flow coming in from the new style uniforms, don't know if that's the answer or not.
If so then GM's better be careful because that's not sustainable.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:03 PM
8snake

When will people realize that the NHL is in a position where they NEED Detroit, New York, Boston, Philly, Dallas, Chicago and L.A. to be viable, thriving NHL teams for this league to be as successful as it can be. Other leagues already have a substantial base to withstand a Kansas City Royals or Jacksonville Jaguars doing well and ending up in a championship game and the ratings taking a hit. The NHL cant afford it. Nobody cares about Nashville or Anaheim. Sports media has no interest in the Hurricanes or Lightning. At least when you had those powerhouse Detroit/Colorado series it drew national attention and solid coverage. Bettman can cater to the NHL base by touting parity, but the national sports media wont give 2 seconds to a Nashville-Buffalo Cup Final....remember Carolina-Edmonton? The states didnt even know that series was going on.

8snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake View Post
When will people realize that the NHL is in a position where they NEED Detroit, New York, Boston, Philly, Dallas, Chicago and L.A. to be viable, thriving NHL teams for this league to be as successful as it can be. Other leagues already have a substantial base to withstand a Kansas City Royals or Jacksonville Jaguars doing well and ending up in a championship game and the ratings taking a hit. The NHL cant afford it. Nobody cares about Nashville or Anaheim. Sports media has no interest in the Hurricanes or Lightning. At least when you had those powerhouse Detroit/Colorado series it drew national attention and solid coverage. Bettman can cater to the NHL base by touting parity, but the national sports media wont give 2 seconds to a Nashville-Buffalo Cup Final....remember Carolina-Edmonton? The states didnt even know that series was going on.
Well put, the new NHL is so balanced any team can win every night, its just some teams cannot get it together or are not as well coached as others. I admit, back then when Detroit played Colorado, i definitely tuned in. There is no more All-Star packed Detorit, or Colorado... It use to be fun to have those teams, becasue when the Canucks would play the best team in the league, many fans would tune in to see what would happen, and if the canucks could win. Example, round 1 of 2002 playoffs, Canucks took a 2-0 lead in the series, Vancouver went crazy, and even though the canucks lost the series, hockey was back in Vancouver and there was a buz for the Canucks the following season, the canucks hockey market and fan base grew after that series....

Old
02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks19 View Post
Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this? Isn't $50 million a little high?
If this is true, hockey's version of "Back to the Future" will soon be upon us.

Brace yourself for fans of the "have nots" crying class warfare, with fans of the wealthier franchises licking their chops.

It'll be just like 2004 again! Yipee!

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
With all due respect, if you can't get to the midpoint (42m) of even a 50m cap and are complaining that you are bleeding money left and right even with millions being shuffled to you in revenue sharing, maybe you DON'T belong in the league.

Hard fact of life. 50m cap is not a big deal at all. The lockout stopped teams from spending nearly 100m while others were down at the 30m range. It's working fine.

This is yet more proof that the "omg the NHL is dying!" Bettman hating crowd simply doesn't know what it's talking about.

Crazy_Ike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:20 PM
pitseleh

The fact of the matter is, if the cap goes up to $50 million and teams feel that they can't be competitive with that cap number, the only people to blame are the owners. The players already made their huge concessions with the CBA, but the lack of revenue sharing is to blame if it truely is a problem.

Honestly though, I don't think a $50 million cap is all that bad. Sure, every team can't spend up to the max, but the difference between a $50 million and $40 million payroll is much less significant than the difference between a $80 million and a $20 million payroll. Teams are still able to be competitive with a $10 million difference.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
With all due respect, if you can't get to the midpoint (42m) of even a 50m cap and are complaining that you are bleeding money left and right even with millions being shuffled to you in revenue sharing, maybe you DON'T belong in the league.

Hard fact of life. 50m cap is not a big deal at all. The lockout stopped teams from spending nearly 100m while others were down at the 30m range. It's working fine.

This is yet more proof that the "omg the NHL is dying!" Bettman hating crowd simply doesn't know what it's talking about.
50 million is a big deal in the new NHL, player saleries took a roll back with the CBA, many of them are just going to get higher now. Now when agents negotiate contracts, GM's cannot use the cap as an excuse, as many teams now have over 7 million easily in cap space by july, infact i think the average will be over 10 million per team, we are going to see more "holik" type of contracts being signed, and then eventually by the time Betmans contract is up, there will be another lockout and then Betman will "win" it for the owners and get another 5 year extention, it is all apart of his sick little game.

Old
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
You'll hear the odd comment, but, like we saw from Edmonton recently, the comments will be more directed to other parties, not the league. You'll see teams claim they need more help from the government to remain competitive. You'll see teams claim that they need help from their fans for more sell-outs to compete in salary. You'll see some teams implement PPV, to get more revenue streams, so they can afford to sign all of their players.

As long as the NHL is a business, you'll always hear complaining. The salary cap doesn't change that.

I highly doubt you'll see too many of the weaker teams complain, and wish they had the old system. A team that can't afford to spend more than $40M next year is still only $10M off of the biggest spenders. A few years ago, the spending disparity was as high as $50M. A $10M difference is peanuts in comparison.
I still think you will see the same owners who complained before do it again.

Interesting take on having games on ppv. Teams get x amount from local channels to broadcast the games. I would think they have done due dillgence and think it must not be profitable to have the games on a pay basis. If so I think it would have been done by now. They probably make more locally than they would via ppv. But who knows? They probably wouldn’t charge more than center ice. Wonder what the numbers would be for people signing up to get their teams games?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Canucks19*

If anything needs to be fixed in the NHL, it's not the cap, its the stupid schedule!!!

Old
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
If true The owners should lock the players out and get the salaries in line.

How long before the cheap owners of certain teams start complaining? They should have taken the hard cap of I think 42mm when it was offered. Bodes well for the Flyers.
It was not offered.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 50
Quote:
50 million is a big deal in the new NHL, player saleries took a roll back with the CBA, many of them are just going to get higher now. Now when agents negotiate contracts, GM's cannot use the cap as an excuse, as many teams now have over 7 million easily in cap space by july, infact i think the average will be over 10 million per team, we are going to see more "holik" type of contracts being signed, and then eventually by the time Betmans contract is up, there will be another lockout and then Betman will "win" it for the owners and get another 5 year extention, it is all apart of his sick little game.
You forgot your tinfoil hat again, didn't you?

Crazy_Ike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
GSC2k2*

Quote:
The cap is irrelevant. The midpoint is the average NHL team salary expenditure. That is the true controlling number. If all teams spend up to the cap (for example), each team would get $8 million back from the players.

GSC2k2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Making Money is a Bad Thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz19 View Post
The Cap is tied to league wide revenues. If revenues go up, so too does the cap. The players get a percentage of league wide revenue. Makes perfect sense.
Exactly.

For the sake of the less affluent markets, here's hoping that league revenues do not keep increasing!

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

so many people are completely mis-informed in this thread. Just read what IB posted, and learn it.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 01:57 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I still think you will see the same owners who complained before do it again.

Interesting take on having games on ppv. Teams get x amount from local channels to broadcast the games. I would think they have done due dillgence and think it must not be profitable to have the games on a pay basis. If so I think it would have been done by now. They probably make more locally than they would via ppv. But who knows? They probably wouldn’t charge more than center ice. Wonder what the numbers would be for people signing up to get their teams games?
The reason why I bring it up, is that Ottawa has introduced 5 games on PPV this year, and, when the Roy Mlakar has been interviewed and discussed the subject, he has repeatedly referenced the need for OTtawa to remain competitive, and find new revenue streams, hinting that these types of initiatives are important for a "small market" team like Ottawa to compete.

I know Vancouver has a very heavy PPV schedule, and, other teams have looked into it. Rising cap figures, and fear of fans that their team won't be able to match the other spenders can often be a good catalyst to introduce a product like this. There will always be a strong degree of fan backlash against it (I have refused to watch the games that have been on PPV, even at a bar, as money still goes back to the team), so, introducing it in this fashion allows you to neutralize those effects.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
If this is true, hockey's version of "Back to the Future" will soon be upon us.

Brace yourself for fans of the "have nots" crying class warfare, with fans of the wealthier franchises licking their chops.

It'll be just like 2004 again! Yipee!
The Sabres are a typical 'have not' franchise but I am still licking my chops. A higher cap would let the current team stay together for another year or so.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote