HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Tinner first! A POSITIVE post about our D!

Old
02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Tinordi24*

vCash: 500
A Tinner first! A POSITIVE post about our D!

Yes. You heard that right! I am going to post something positive about our D (altho it is quite hard to find something..at least I thought)

I was watching blues clues with my daughter last night and when Steve sat on his thinking chair it prompted me to think critically about our dmen....

I wanted to bring up Shawnoane Morrisonn.

This guy has really impressed me this year. He has upped his physical game to a very acceptable level and has displayed some nice grit (I believe he even dropped the gloves a couple times)

He's a pretty darn good skater for a big guy and has shown more confidence carrying the puck our of our zone.

He's done all this inspite some questionable d partners.

I love how he just leveled a Ranger or two the last game we played.

I believe he has shown he is definitely a top 4 dman..unlike Eminger and Green who have really regressed this year.

Schultz and Jurcina are next to Shaoonne in suprises..BUT I am not going to make the same mistake as I did by jumping on the bandwagon too early (see: Beech and Nycolat).

Schultz needs to up the ante on his physical game and I need to see how Jurcina functions when we get out of this stupid trapping style.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Foy

I think you need to reevaluate Eminger's play from the 1st of January on. I think that despite him being atrocious through maybe thanksgiving, he learned a lot from Erskine during their time together, and has really learned how to apply that to his game.

He maybe still a little on the soft side, but he's steadily improving the last six weeks, and is definitely hitting a lot more.

He still has bad days along with good ones, but the ratio is moving more and more in his favor.

If you take out that god-awful Caronlina drubbing, he leads the team in +/- in the New Year, and has been even or plus in his last 8 games (an accomplishmen the way the team plays).

That said, I don't think he's anywhere near Morrisonn's class. There's a reason I bought Mo's jersey.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Shaone is only going to get steadier and stronger, too. I'm hoping he develops a little offense. Nothing crazy, but it would be nice to see 5g-20a-25 points a year from him. He's always going to be underrated, however.

The jury is still out on Eminger. It's hard being thrust into a leading defensive role when you're that young while maintaining your confidence. He's really had no top 2 veteran dman to learn from, which has probably slowed his development. I still have high hopes for him, and think he should be paired with whatever veteran D we sign in the offseason.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Tinordi24*

My thoughts on Eminger:

I think he does play physical and sometimes really looks to deliver some nice hits..a bit inconsistent about this but hes fine in this instance.

He provides zero offense. His passing is shoddy and he can challenge Pothier for 2nd worst shot on the team behind Boyd Gordon.

Really disturbing is his complete lack of stick skills. He cant effectively clear the zone cuz he cant get mustard on his clear out attempts...just like he cant get mustard on his shots.

When he gets into the habit of "fishing" for pucks he's downright awful...the pinacle of this would be Lidstrom..he isnt physical but makes up for it by pulling this off.

I had higher hopes for him being a more all around dman. He does try hard and finishes checks more consistently than many of our other D.

I do think he still can become a good dman one day but not sure he is a top 4.

Old
02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
StikSav

Why do you feel Green has regressed, Tinner? This is his first full season up here, not sure what you are measuring him against (unless you are judging a full season in a much larger role against a partial season at a more minimal role).

StikSav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24 View Post
Yes. You heard that right! I am going to post something positive about our D (altho it is quite hard to find something..at least I thought)

I was watching blues clues with my daughter last night and when Steve sat on his thinking chair it prompted me to think critically about our dmen....

I wanted to bring up Shawnoane Morrisonn.

This guy has really impressed me this year. He has upped his physical game to a very acceptable level and has displayed some nice grit (I believe he even dropped the gloves a couple times)

He's a pretty darn good skater for a big guy and has shown more confidence carrying the puck our of our zone.

He's done all this inspite some questionable d partners.

I love how he just leveled a Ranger or two the last game we played.

I believe he has shown he is definitely a top 4 dman..unlike Eminger and Green who have really regressed this year.

Schultz and Jurcina are next to Shaoonne in suprises..BUT I am not going to make the same mistake as I did by jumping on the bandwagon too early (see: Beech and Nycolat).

Schultz needs to up the ante on his physical game and I need to see how Jurcina functions when we get out of this stupid trapping style.
Personally what i would find refreshing is a post about the Caps defense where you don't criticize someone for not being physical enough. Additionally, you compliment Morrisonn for leveling a couple of Rangers the other night while panning Green who has thrown more big body checks this season than has Mo.

Green's game calls for more risk, because he is a big play defenseman and so he makes more mistakes. But to be fair Green's hit on Tucker in Toronto last time was one of the highlight hits of the season.

Its just a suggestion, but it still seems like your point of view on the defense is still a one track thought process.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:06 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

This isn't a first by a longshot. This is volume 2 episode x of Tinner damning with faint praise.

I really don't see how you can say that Eminger has regressed this year. He's head and shoulders above where he was last year. He looked like he was walking on glass for all of last season. This year he's a got a little spring in his step and he's taking (well-timed for the most part) some agressive risks from the back line. Most importantly, he's a young 23 and since about New Years he's looked like he belongs in the NHL.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 02-14-2007 at 12:14 PM.
BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 12:12 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
I am with you on Morrisonn. He is starting to show some consistency which is what all young Dmen have problems with.

Green is just up and down which isn't surprising. He is a gamer and I don't doubt the future is bright with him. He needs time.

Eminger is frustrating with his consistency. He has stepped up with all the injuries recently which is nice to see. He has all the tools and sometimes I think he just hasn't figured out what type of NHL dmen he wants to be. Can't forget he's only 23. He is going to be a capital next season and he is going to have to step it up. Lightbulb needs to go on.

Jurcina it is early but I like what I have seen. Big frame and decent mobility. Jury still out though.

Schultz...I know there are people here that don't like his style but he looks really steady for someone as young as he is. I don't think he'll ever be nasty physically but he'll gain muscle mass as he gets older and he'll need to play the body better but it is clear he showing a nice head for the game.

02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Tinordi24*

I'm gonna stick to Morrisonn on this one for now in an attempt to shield my negative thoughts about our other D.

I think Morrisonn is the only one FOR CERTAIN that has a bright future in DC.

He is the only dman I feel comfortable with in critical situations. I wish we had 5 more of him.

Old
02-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Personally what i would find refreshing is a post about the Caps defense where you don't criticize someone for not being physical enough.

Its just a suggestion, but it still seems like your point of view on the defense is still a one track thought process.
I concede the first point. The main content of this post was to give credit to Morrisonn.

The second point you make ...well thats my opinion and it hasnt changed since Tinordi left and wasnt replaced. Until we do something about it I will continue to have a "one track process"

Old
02-14-2007, 01:08 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

When you consider that all the guys we have playing now are all under 25 <save Heward>, I'm willing to go lightly on them. Most Dmen don't really take off until 25-26 unless they're blue chips. Schultz has impressed me a lot since his call up, he's looked better than Green.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Morrisson has impressed me too. I think he has been much more physically involved than Green, and has stood up for his teammates physically without hesitation all year. He is no fighter but will go after anyone that takes a run at a teammate. I just wish some guys would help HIM out when he gets in over his head. Early in the year (until Erskine showed up) he was ONLY physical player on the blueline. With the backing of Erskine (and Brashear et al) all of a sudden it seemed the other defensemen became more physical. But Mo leads by example for the other D. I would like to see him to get some PP time as our mix of players at LD on the PP has not impressed me.

Thanks Tin man for pointing out how unassertive and weak our D has generally been this year and pretty much since #24 left. Physical hockey is what makes the NHL unique and it starts from the net out.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post
When you consider that all the guys we have playing now are all under 25 <save Heward>, I'm willing to go lightly on them. Most Dmen don't really take off until 25-26 unless they're blue chips. Schultz has impressed me a lot since his call up, he's looked better than Green.
I tend to agree on this. Hell even some blue chippers don't round into their top pairing potential until 25...i know everyone is impatient with the rebuild but sometimes the young age needs to taken into context overall.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:18 PM
StikSav

Tinner, I'm actually serious when I ask why you think Green has regressed. I'd really like to know what you think and see if it differs much from my opinion. My guess is we're probably pretty close in how we'd evaluate him but I'm interested to hear your thoughts. If I'm evaluating him against his potential then I'd say I wish we could have had a little more consistency out of him, but all factors considered I think he's been okay given his age and experience. Has this year's performance marred your longer term thoughts on his potential?

StikSav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StikSav View Post
Tinner, I'm actually serious when I ask why you think Green has regressed. I'd really like to know what you think and see if it differs much from my opinion. My guess is we're probably pretty close in how we'd evaluate him but I'm interested to hear your thoughts. If I'm evaluating him against his potential then I'd say I wish we could have had a little more consistency out of him, but all factors considered I think he's been okay given his age and experience. Has this year's performance marred your longer term thoughts on his potential?
Hey Stiksav,

I'll address that question in another thread. Remember this is the Tinner's POSITIVE thread in regards to the D!

Old
02-14-2007, 04:13 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Hey Stiksav,

I'll address that question in another thread. Remember this is the Tinner's POSITIVE thread in regards to the D!
You know I was briefly tempted to sticky this thread for posterity....

Old
02-14-2007, 04:43 PM
bigeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
You know I was briefly tempted to sticky this thread for posterity....
Go for It

bigeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Really disturbing is his complete lack of stick skills. He cant effectively clear the zone cuz he cant get mustard on his clear out attempts...just like he cant get mustard on his shots.
This isn't just Eminger....2/3 of the team can't seem to figure out how to clear the zone. Same thing as last season.

No chance Green has regressed. Young teams struggle and young guys struggle. It's a fact of life. If Green played like the 1st 1/2 Eminger, then I would be worried.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 10:16 PM
teddygmr

any word on Erskine coming back?????
He's been out too long....

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
This isn't just Eminger....2/3 of the team can't seem to figure out how to clear the zone. Same thing as last season.

No chance Green has regressed. Young teams struggle and young guys struggle. It's a fact of life. If Green played like the 1st 1/2 Eminger, then I would be worried.
Morrisonn with another outstanding...I mean OUTSTANDING game last night. Pretty much flawless. Physical and carried it with poise and confidence.

The way he rushes and passes leads me to believe the points will come eventually.

Green to Hershey.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:06 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Morrisonn did have a good game last night but Jurcina IMO had even a better one.

Old
02-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Morrisonn did have a good game last night but Jurcina IMO had even a better one.
Any Dman next to Morrisonn has looked good better than they really are.

I'll start a thread about Jurcina after 20 games if he keeps playing ok.

For right now Shawnee is the only one that deserves praise on that atrocious backline.

Old
02-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Tinordi24*

Broken nose one night...comes back in and plays (ofcourse the new lifeless Caps under Commandant Hanlon didnt stand up for him)

Regardless...he comes back the next night and unloads a blast to get things going.

Props..one of the few bright spots of the season.

Old
02-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Otter

Quote:
Any Dman next to Morrisonn has looked good better than they really are.

I'll start a thread about Jurcina after 20 games if he keeps playing ok.

For right now Shawnee is the only one that deserves praise on that atrocious backline.
No Erskine?

Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:48 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Broken nose one night...comes back in and plays (ofcourse the new lifeless Caps under Commandant Hanlon didnt stand up for him)

Regardless...he comes back the next night and unloads a blast to get things going.

Props..one of the few bright spots of the season.
IMO watching the replay several times it wasn't an intentional elbow and the refs did the right thing in calling a penalty after the fact...no need for retaliation.