HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton's Powerplay

Old
02-17-2007, 03:15 PM
RiversQ

vCash: 500
I'm not going to post all my stuff here, but rest assured that Smyth has a demonstrable impact on the Oilers' powerplay.

This year he is just barely behind Hemsky at PPGD/hr of icetime and those two players are clear of the rest of the squad despite the Oilers remaining somewhat focused in their PP personnel usage.

Last year, Smyth led all Oilers in this measure despite having only 4.7 PPP/hr. Hemsky was a close second last year again. In case anyone cares... Last year, Pronger was far and away first overall in PP ATOI, distant second to Hemsky in PPP/hr and third behind Smyth and Hemsky in PPGD/hr.

I've got the GF/GA split up by situation, but I don't have the icetime which is a huge part of the equation. IIRC, somebody had a quick look at that last year and the only Oiler that was a huge benefactor from 5on3 relative to 5on4 play was Stoll - he had large percentage of his points coming at 5on3.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 03:26 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I must say also with guys like Petersen, Staios etc... on the point, one has to wonder if the first priority of our PP coach is to not get scored against rather than first priority being our PP gets the goal. Just like having a Tarnstrom last year, why give the coaches a quarter back because they will not use him anyway in that role. They drop him down off the point ala Sykora unless there are a lot of injuries.
This is exactly right IMO. The Oilers are very risk averse with respect to their PP unit. Their strategy does "work" though. The Oilers have been very good at preventing SH goals against. Too bad they've been atrocious at scoring PP goals this season.

I think Hemsky could run this PP from the point and I think he's got the one-timer to keep Pkers honest. I'd love to see the Oilers put Hemsky on the point in some instances with Horcoff at the halfboards.

Old
02-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
The only reason this team ever maintains possession of the puck in the offensive end is because of the abilities of 94. He doesn't just simply stand in front of the net all PP... he goes everywhere and is probably the best player on the team at winning loose pucks on the PP.
Smyth is very important to our PP but this I don't agree with.

Yes when he puck is in the corners he does a good job of getting it. The problem is what he does after he has it. When he gets it, our PP spends about 20 seconds just playing with it along the boards and firing it around the net one way and then back the other.

With how aggressive teams are now this just can't work. We got to stop the passing it along the boards and try and make cross ice passes. One cross ice pass can generally force the PK to back off and allow you to set up. All we do is just play with it along the boards until we are checked and it is shot down.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Matts

So very disappointing...

Remember the season opener with 71-16 on the points and the Oilers snapping the puck around like crazy? I know we read the Oilers might go with the five man forward formation but I wasn't optimistic but then they did it and I thought it would be the rule rather than the exception.

Since then it's been a gongshow and I can't believe how bad the PP's been. Just the other night in Bos for instance that's a gmae where we should've taken that game to OT on the strenght of PP alone. It all cannot be blamed on the lack of a defenseman who's also a QB.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 04:40 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ View Post
I think Hemsky could run this PP from the point and I think he's got the one-timer to keep Pkers honest. I'd love to see the Oilers put Hemsky on the point in some instances with Horcoff at the halfboards.
Welcome aboard, I've been pimping this idea for a few months as well now.

I think it's too radical to even be considered by Simpson at this point. Idiot.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post

Hemsky turns the puck over too much. Him, as the last line of defense handling the puck at the point would be a nightmare. Not to mention he is attrocious on the back check in the event of a breakaway and has zero shot unless off the rush or inside the top of the circle. The half wall gives him a better angle for 1-time passes and allows him access to both the slot and down low. It is the right spot for him, he just makes too many mistakes and bad decisions with the puck right now.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 04:45 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post

Pfft. It's been discussed for a couple of years now. I remember Vic and I talking about it during the lockout. It's not a new idea.

Old
02-17-2007, 04:46 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ View Post
Pfft. It's been discussed for a couple of years now. I remember Vic and I talking about it during the lockout. It's not a new idea.
Pfft. Dirty lies.

You didn't even try to cover up the lies with fancy spread sheet numbers this time

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Hemsky turns the puck over too much. Him, as the last line of defense handling the puck at the point would be a nightmare. Not to mention he is attrocious on the back check in the event of a breakaway and has zero shot unless off the rush or inside the top of the circle. The half wall gives him a better angle for 1-time passes and allows him access to both the slot and down low. It is the right spot for him, he just makes too many mistakes and bad decisions with the puck right now.
Harder to turn it over at the point since this isn't a cross ice pass through the box you have to make.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 08:37 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead View Post
The one and only exception is Marc-Antoine Pouliot whose one point in limited ice time is likely a poor barometer.
7.73 PPP/hr for Pouliot

speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Great Article

Here's a great article on how the NYI want to get a depth D-man to build there PP.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-spi...orts-headlines

"Our power play has to get a lot better," Blake said. "Power plays win and lose hockey games in the new system, and we're not getting shots to the net and we're making too many plays. You've got to pass once or twice and shoot it, get a guy in front.

"You watch teams like .Detroit. They get it back to [defenseman Niklas] Lidstrom and they shoot it. It's one or two passes, and they shoot the puck. I think we've been trying to make too many plays and we get each other out of position. Our power play's got to be a lot better because that's the key for any team that wants to make the playoffs and move on."

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:04 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

We have a powerplay? Are you guys sure?

Anyways, we are missing Stoll back there so much it's not even funny. We need his shot. Hemsky needs to be on the left halfboards to be more effective I think as well. Somehow I think it's going to be even worse unless something gets done soon.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Waterboy

Here's an idea...good or bad.

Why not play Hemsky on the Left point, Stoll on the half boards, Bergeron/Sykora on the right point, Smyth down low and Horcoff on the far side boards.

Basically you have our alignment from last year sans CFP but with a guy who can move the puck just as effectively, has a great and acurate wristshot to thread the needle (with Smyth infront it doesn't have to be a howister) and also opens up a cross ice pass to the far side of the net that nobody else we have could make (a lot like the Kaberle to Tucker deal in TO) to HOrcoff. Of course, you now have to two onetimer options of Bergeron or Stoll with a guy who can lay it in there on a pillow.

At this point, what's the worst that could happen? We don't score...again.

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:13 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
7.73 PPP/hr for Pouliot
LOL. speeds, I swear that I had a feeling that you were going to put up this post somewhere. He doubled his pt production in a minute span - impressive.

momentai is offline   Reply With Quote