HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings possible trades?

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2003, 06:48 AM
punchy1

vCash: 500
Kings possible trades?

Go to the trades board here and click on officeglens "Garioch better be good" thread.

There are two mentions for us and both have Modry going the other way. I don't reckon Garioch to be too well liked as evidenced in the way others write about him but he does have a job as a sportsmans writer so it is better than most of the trade posts on the boards. Modry to the Rangers for Anson Carter is one of them mentioned and the other was for a couple of prospects. I doubt that Davie would send Modry to the Sens or anyone for a couple of prospects when we have good depth there and Modry could get us more I would think.

As for Carter, I would love to see him on the team. I think though that we would know with certainty that we were done with Deadmarsh if that were to happen. I can't imagine that we would grab another top winger if we honestly thought that Adam were comming back. So, just a heads up to go look at the trade boards.

Cheers!

Old
12-07-2003, 08:36 AM
guzmania

Here's a question that I've been pondering - Do we need to trade for anyone at all? Seems like the team is begining to have lots of chemistry, there are guys who aren't too far off from returning, (Armstrong, Lappy, maybe Allison someday). Maybe a defensman who is not too expensive for a couple of our second tier players or minor leaguers but other than that I don't see much burning need. In fact there is going to be a log jam soon. I really like the way Smithson has filled the role of Belanger on the checking line. Yeah, he made a mistake last night, but he was Clean Gene the rest of the evening against Jagr and Lang. Even Eric makes a mistake occasionally. With him back in a defensive position Sim and Avery have been able to go on offense a little more. He allows us to use Bellanger as a more offensive-minded center that still retains his good D sensibilties.

Old
12-07-2003, 08:40 AM
Kings Fanatic

I really, really hope DT doesn't trade for Carter. I don't see how he improves this team at all. A big guy who doesn't use his size is a bad fit, hence the lack of a call up for Scott Barney. If another trade goes down it will hopefully be for a true #1 dman.

Old
12-08-2003, 12:23 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Fanatic
I really, really hope DT doesn't trade for Carter. I don't see how he improves this team at all. A big guy who doesn't use his size is a bad fit, hence the lack of a call up for Scott Barney. If another trade goes down it will hopefully be for a true #1 dman.
I definitely agree about our need for a #1 dman, and that should be top priority. But Carter for Modry would be a steal, and i'd be all over it. Carter resides in Santa Monica, and would love to play here. He would bag 20-40 goals for us, no problems.
Sooner or later something is going to have to give with Deadmarsh, and anytime you could get rid of a player like Modry, i'm happy.

Old
12-08-2003, 12:48 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
I definitely agree about our need for a #1 dman, and that should be top priority. But Carter for Modry would be a steal, and i'd be all over it. Carter resides in Santa Monica, and would love to play here. He would bag 20-40 goals for us, no problems.
Sooner or later something is going to have to give with Deadmarsh, and anytime you could get rid of a player like Modry, i'm happy.
All due respect Swing... you and AM don't see eye to eye on that one.

and I side with the coach. Modry is the strongest guy on the team (in yearly strength testing) he's the best skating defenseman we have and he's crucial to the powerplay.

Modry sometimes needs a wake-up call, granted. But when he gets it, he usually picks up his play and plays to the level of the talent around him.

Unless we're improving on Modry at Modry's position, you can't trade the guy. Sorry.

Old
12-08-2003, 06:38 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

i'm iffy about the carter trade...modry is valuable, especially with visnovsky being seemingly injury prone (i kno he's a tough guy, etc...but he still gets injured every 5 games and every year he's on the IR)...however, modry will be a free agent next year, and will u be willing to pay 3 mil for him...a high scoring D man who logs over 25 min a game will get tat much at least

Old
12-09-2003, 03:44 PM
washie

"hence the lack of a call up for Scott Barney."

Why not he seems to be scoring and doing ok.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:18 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
All due respect Swing... you and AM don't see eye to eye on that one.

and I side with the coach. Modry is the strongest guy on the team (in yearly strength testing) he's the best skating defenseman we have and he's crucial to the powerplay.

Modry sometimes needs a wake-up call, granted. But when he gets it, he usually picks up his play and plays to the level of the talent around him.

Unless we're improving on Modry at Modry's position, you can't trade the guy. Sorry.
I know, and I agree with you 100% on how I view Modry in comparison to how AM views him. I've been bashing him for years (Modry - read the Hamrlik thread), and like I said there, he gets coddled like no other. The trade would leave us depleted in the back, I know! But like I said IMO I would trade Modry in a heart beat. I know all about his fitness tests, not only hearing it from our papers, and announcers, but other announcers as well. He doesn't translate it on the ice though, and one of the reasons he's never hurt, is because he's clueless on taking the body. He is also no where near the skater that Matty and Lubo are. I think overall he can be an ok player, but not like we use him. His transition is pathetically slow, especially on the power play where he skates it up the ice including his decision making. He's not Lemieux, but sometimes he gives me the impression that he thinks he is. The game is lightning speed out there, and I just don't think he has it.
I do agree that we need to improve that position, so I do stand by what you're saying there.

Old
12-09-2003, 06:12 PM
punchy1

Speaking of trades.... I were just watching the Oilers score on the net and they lost again tonight. With all of the ducks talks about comrie does anyone else think that a deal will happen tonight or tomorrow or am I the only one? I see it involving Vishnevski Chistov/ McDonald with the ducks getting Larouque (sp) and Comrie. Probably not but that is the way I see it and i would bet it to happen right snappy.

Old
12-09-2003, 07:49 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Speaking of trades.... I were just watching the Oilers score on the net and they lost again tonight. With all of the ducks talks about comrie does anyone else think that a deal will happen tonight or tomorrow or am I the only one? I see it involving Vishnevski Chistov/ McDonald with the ducks getting Larouque (sp) and Comrie. Probably not but that is the way I see it and i would bet it to happen right snappy.
No chance! If it's Comrie straight up for either Lupul, McDonald, or Perry like they're saying I would buy it, especially since the Oil are slumping right now. But Laraque I just don't see. He's an ultimate fan favorite in Edmonton, and I would hate to see him right across town from us. I'd seriously be sick..........He is hands down the best fighter in this league, although he doesn't drop often, and if he came to the Ducks, he'd instantly go gay! I mean c'mon who in their right mind wants to sport that lame ass crest across your chest, it's embarassing!

Old
12-09-2003, 09:03 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
No chance! If it's Comrie straight up for either Lupul, McDonald, or Perry like they're saying I would buy it, especially since the Oil are slumping right now. But Laraque I just don't see. He's an ultimate fan favorite in Edmonton, and I would hate to see him right across town from us. I'd seriously be sick..........He is hands down the best fighter in this league, although he doesn't drop often, and if he came to the Ducks, he'd instantly go gay! I mean c'mon who in their right mind wants to sport that lame ass crest across your chest, it's embarassing!
i think it would be a mistake for anaheim to deal mcdonald. and if they were willing to trade him, we should be on them like a fly on poo. that guy is an excellent player, and i would love to have him. still though, it'd be nice to see the oil get a good player like him out this whole comrie mess.

Old
12-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by washie
"hence the lack of a call up for Scott Barney."

Why not he seems to be scoring and doing ok.
This question was talked about elsewhere. I cant confirm this but the reason a poster gave was that Barney was out of options. Therefore he would stay in Manchester for three reasons: 1) Not ready yet. 2) He wouldnt clear waviers to return to Manchester and 3) The possible lockout next season would cause Barney to sit most or all of season.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:56 AM
johnjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Fanatic
Where the heck is this coming from? When he was in the West, I remeber seeing him play against us and thinking how much he reminded me of Allison. So strong on the puck. What's this "doesn't use his size" thing you're talking about?

And BTW, I think Barney isn't getting the call up because he's just now getting his skating squared away. Remember, he was out for over two years. Nothing to do with "not using his size." In fact, isn't he leading Kings prospects in scoring? Prospects, not Rosa.

Old
12-11-2003, 05:37 AM
zeppelin97

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
however, modry will be a free agent next year, and will u be willing to pay 3 mil for him...a high scoring D man who logs over 25 min a game will get tat much at least
Modry should never get 25 minutes of ice time in a game (unless theres 20 mins in PP). He is a back breaker. The defense definately needs an upgrade, and there is no better stat than modry's ice time to prove the Kings need one.

3 mil is a bit much for modry, considering berard got around 2 mil.

I've always thought modry lacks confidence. He seems tenative sometimes. If he could ever develop confidence, i think his offense and defense can improve even more. It will never happen though.

Closed Thread