HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Angelo Esposito, opinions?

Old
02-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Do_The_Trotsky

vCash: 500
Angelo Esposito, opinions?

Growing up and living in Toronto you don't hear much about anything Non-NHL. So what do you guys think of Angelo Esposito? How good can he be and around what spot do you think he will be drafted.

Do_The_Trotsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do_The_Trotsky View Post
Growing up and living in Toronto you don't hear much about anything Non-NHL. So what do you guys think of Angelo Esposito? How good can he be and around what spot do you think he will be drafted.
he's development from last season is questionable. i dont think he will be star in the nhl. there is a good chanse he will bust if he doesnt start developing soon. imo he will be left outside the top 10. 11-15 somewhere is my guess.

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:24 PM
JD1

I have never seen him play. I have seen Logan Couture play a few times. Couture is rated higher. Hard to predict who will do what in the pros, but I have seen alot of junior hockey over the years and although I do foresee an NHL career for Couture, I don't see him becomig a star and he is rated higher than Esposito.

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Skyblaze

If I'd have to compare him to some players, I would say his upside would be having a career not entirely unlike Vinny Lecavalier's. Highly touted, highly skilled, but seemingly lacking that little thing to make him great until later in his career. His downside isn't so interesting though as I could also draw comparisons to Pavel Brendl.

Since it's much more likely that he'll fall somewhere in between, I think of him as a future 60-70 points guy who'll show you a flash of extreme skill every once in a while just to piss everyone off.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:23 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
As a casual Drummondville and Shawinigan watcher, I've seen him in action a few time..

My impressions?
Tremendous vision and lack of «puck poise» down low..

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 07:27 PM
VOB

Soft, very very soft!

VOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
If I'd have to compare him to some players, I would say his upside would be having a career not entirely unlike Vinny Lecavalier's. Highly touted, highly skilled, but seemingly lacking that little thing to make him great until later in his career. His downside isn't so interesting though as I could also draw comparisons to Pavel Brendl.

Since it's much more likely that he'll fall somewhere in between, I think of him as a future 60-70 points guy who'll show you a flash of extreme skill every once in a while just to piss everyone off.
Wow, Esposito's upside not unlike Lecavalier's... I've seen him play and he's not even dominant in juniors. His upside is being a P-M Bouchard no. 2 at best.

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:13 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Just a prediction. Based on the name alone, either the Bruins or Blackhawks will draft Esposito, thus assuring him a spot in the top 10.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:18 PM
AD

Quote:

Mike Ribeiro?

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Tadite

Quote:

70pts? Good god man and you wouldn't be happy with that? Guy is most likely going towards the bottom of the top-10. Any team in the league would be ecstatic with a 70pt guy with that pick.

So the guy isn't the a AO or Crosby. Who cares? If he is still forcasted as a top-6 forward or even a top line guy that is still darn good.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:26 AM
Big Phil

Esposito question

What's wrong with Esposito's numbers? Maybe he's missing Radulov from last year but still, last I checked it was 71 points in 51 games. If he keeps this up he may not even pass the production from his rookie year. He has plummetted fast! What's wrong with him?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
apparently he's a perimeter player who refuse to pay the price in front of the net !

imo it's just a teenager filling his body ..

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 08:33 AM
brightscout

Hockey sense is lacking, that's why he doesn't get high numbers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
What's wrong with Esposito's numbers? Maybe he's missing Radulov from last year but still, last I checked it was 71 points in 51 games. If he keeps this up he may not even pass the production from his rookie year. He has plummetted fast! What's wrong with him?

brightscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Form and Substance

He has a Brendl like bust rate at the moment, but if he does put it together, he'll be an awesome force. I would not touch him in the top 5, but if you have multiple picks in the first round, he wouldn't be a bad choice in the top 10.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 01:02 PM
hawksfan50

Yet CSS ranked him #1 NA skater at mid-term!
YEt I have had big arguments with an alleged paid professional scout over on the Chicagoblackhawks.com board --Prsopects/Inthe System board (the guy goes by the
poster name Elvisisalive) --anyway this guy insists the ISS is way out of line tagging
Esposito as only #10 in their ranking and that they (ISS) cannot be taken seriously as a scouting org by such a huge discrepancy from the CSS ranking (I of course poo-pooed that argument)--but get this --this guy insists he was trained by the ISS! He also said he consulted his training mentor there who told him that several scouts on the ISS really had Esposito pegged higher but the main ISS Quebec scout held fim in his opinion and over-ruled the others---now,I do not know if this is a true story or whether this guy is just pulling my leg with a bunch of hooey --or whether he is even a paid scout for some NHl team or teams--but I do think it is obvious that:

1.Esposito has not lived up to the hype about him that goes back over 2 years where he was cast in the early favourites to go possibly #1 overall in the 2007 draft and some were at the time projecting a Crosby-like superstar impact--nobody today is projecting that anymore...

2.I personally thought he rode the coatails of Radulov last year--and so farthis seasonit looks excatly like that...

3. Something about his play just doesn't convince me he'll be that good at the pro level =another Stephen Weiss (who I didn't like either for his draft year).

4. So IMO (for what it is worth,the ISS is more coreect on this one than the CSS view).

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 01:28 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

His godfather will probably make an offer they can't refuse to the team drafting 1st overall...

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2007, 07:36 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Espo has had a rough year but I woould still pick him top 3.

PS: Form and Substance, that avatar is in bad taste.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Big Phil

He'll need a strong playoff to make some noise. This time a year ago the Crosby comparisons were rampant. Espo himself deflated them but still.............

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
He'll need a strong playoff to make some noise. This time a year ago the Crosby comparisons were rampant. Espo himself deflated them but still.............
I've always thought of him as more of a Kessel type and both aren't even close to being in Crosby's league. Getting stronger will help AE alot as he matures but he just doesn't have a superstars sense for the game. Also like Kessel I think he'll be OK as a 5-10 pick.

Another thing to look at is his love of the game and willingness to do what it takes to become a star. Max Afinogenov is a great example of that. He's always been flashy and put up a OK point totals but for every good play he made, 3 bad plays followed. This year he's changed all of that and has been playing great hockey. If things work out well for Espo and Kessel, I could see them coming along those lines and being Afenagenov-like. Thats a big "if" and MA should get a ton of credit for developing his game instead of leveling off.

#66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
The fact that he is 45 points back of the scoring lead and sitting in 21st place hurts him in a big way. His PPG are irrelevant because there are a lot of other players with much higher PPG in his league.

He should be leading the Q in scoring then there would be few doubts.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Bjindaho

Or, he could be his team's leader in scoring.
He sits third on the Remparts.

Bjindaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Bjindaho

He seems like a Mike Ribeiro clone.
You might get 70 points once without very good linemates, but he's more likely to be in the 40-50 range.

Bjindaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 10:43 AM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
He seems like a Mike Ribeiro clone.
You might get 70 points once without very good linemates, but he's more likely to be in the 40-50 range.
No, he's much faster than Ribeiro. Works harder. Good hands. Good vision. I've seen him play a lot (I live in Quebec city) but I really don't know about his future. I mean he's a good player but doesn't seem to having "elite" skills except his speed.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 12:05 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Yet CSS ranked him #1 NA skater at mid-term!
YEt I have had big arguments with an alleged paid professional scout over on the Chicagoblackhawks.com board --Prsopects/Inthe System board (the guy goes by the
poster name Elvisisalive) --anyway this guy insists the ISS is way out of line tagging
Esposito as only #10 in their ranking and that they (ISS) cannot be taken seriously as a scouting org by such a huge discrepancy from the CSS ranking (I of course poo-pooed that argument)--but get this --this guy insists he was trained by the ISS! He also said he consulted his training mentor there who told him that several scouts on the ISS really had Esposito pegged higher but the main ISS Quebec scout held fim in his opinion and over-ruled the others---now,I do not know if this is a true story or whether this guy is just pulling my leg with a bunch of hooey --or whether he is even a paid scout for some NHl team or teams--but I do think it is obvious that:

1.Esposito has not lived up to the hype about him that goes back over 2 years where he was cast in the early favourites to go possibly #1 overall in the 2007 draft and some were at the time projecting a Crosby-like superstar impact--nobody today is projecting that anymore...

2.I personally thought he rode the coatails of Radulov last year--and so farthis seasonit looks excatly like that...

3. Something about his play just doesn't convince me he'll be that good at the pro level =another Stephen Weiss (who I didn't like either for his draft year).

4. So IMO (for what it is worth,the ISS is more coreect on this one than the CSS view).
Well, point number 3 is wrong. Weiss is a very good NHL'er, who puts the effort in every night, has a good two way game, and will put up 60-70 points in his prime. Picked too high, but hardly a disappointment.

Espo is alot softer and lazier than Weiss.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Well, point number 3 is wrong. Weiss is a very good NHL'er, who puts the effort in every night, has a good two way game, and will put up 60-70 points in his prime. Picked too high, but hardly a disappointment.

Espo is alot softer and lazier than Weiss.
I think he wasn't saying that Weiss isn't good, but just that he didn't live up to the hype of a fourth overall pick. Esposito will most likely be a NHL player, but probably not as good as in junior...like Weiss.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote