HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Angelo Esposito, opinions?

Old
02-18-2007, 11:56 PM
daynus

vCash: 500
He will

Be very similar carear wise to Alexandre Daigle or Pavel Brendl. Who ever takes him is gonna regret it. I hope the Leafs take him.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 12:11 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Wow, Esposito's upside not unlike Lecavalier's... I've seen him play and he's not even dominant in juniors. His upside is being a P-M Bouchard no. 2 at best.
Agreed. He is nowhere even close to Lecavalier's skillset. Lecavalier today is way better than Espo's upside. Way, way better.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:43 AM
speedway

I feel rather sorry for him.Someone made the decision to promote him very agressively over the years.Now he is paying the price. Guess it goes with the territory.....

speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:09 AM
MentalPowerHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
70pts? Good god man and you wouldn't be happy with that? Guy is most likely going towards the bottom of the top-10. Any team in the league would be ecstatic with a 70pt guy with that pick.

So the guy isn't the a AO or Crosby. Who cares? If he is still forcasted as a top-6 forward or even a top line guy that is still darn good.
I agree, he may not be the next superstar Crosby or AO but nothing wrong with being another Tanguay.

MentalPowerHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:14 PM
PeteLaframboise

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOB View Post
Soft, very very soft!
Yeah, well what do you expect from a guy with a figure skating background.

PeteLaframboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Louiss

I think Esposito as a ''Simon Gagne'' upside for the NHL.... which is very good but not for him being the no1 overall pick.

He did have a lot of icetime and a very good linemate last year so it has inflated is value but he was just good not spectacular during his season at Shattuck St-MArys

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 03:56 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I think he wasn't saying that Weiss isn't good, but just that he didn't live up to the hype of a fourth overall pick. Esposito will most likely be a NHL player, but probably not as good as in junior...like Weiss.
"didn't" live up to the hype? good gracious...he's 23 years old , and has battled numerous injuries - I still see Weiss being a solid, two-way 60-70 point center in a couple of years if he can continue to bounce back from his injury setbacks.

Considering the draft year in question, he is turning out just fine - he's the third best point producer from the first round to date despite his injuries.

As far as Espo goes....he's dropped like no other top-end player in the past month on McKeen's list, which will be released tomorrow in conjunction with the publishing of our February issue of the Digest.

i saw quite a bit of him over the past month, as did a number of our scouts, and he's playing about as uninspired as is possible. His effort in his own end is abysmal, he's not creating scoring chances other than on the power play, and he has zero interest in going into high traffic areas.

At this point we decided that there was no way we could rank him ahead of the likes of Gagner, Couture and Sutter, let alone the top guys like Kane. Espo has dropped out of our top ten until he shows that he's not regressing as a pro prospect.

I chatted recently with a scout who has had Espo at the top of his draft ranking all season...he told me that after seeing him twice during the Top prospects week that he'd dropped him to tenth on his list, so he's seeing the sames things that we are.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 04:08 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I don't like him. He's always hitting on my sister. It's pretty annoying.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 05:54 PM
rick hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan View Post
His godfather will probably make an offer they can't refuse to the team drafting 1st overall...
Is it OK to make racist remarks as long as they are directed towards Italians?

rick hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:03 PM
PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick hawk View Post

Italian isn't a race, it's an ethnicity.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:09 PM
rick hawk

Well I guess that justifies it then....

rick hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
As far as Espo goes....he's dropped like no other top-end player in the past month on McKeen's list, which will be released tomorrow in conjunction with the publishing of our February issue of the Digest.
I don't understand how McKeens could even JUSTIFY having him at #2. I called you/them out on it and never got a response. It was ludicrous then and it looks even sillier now that he's dropped like a rock according to you. I never understood why you guys had him there. It's almost like you didn't even watch him lately and ranked him on last year's hype!

Here's what I wrote on the Candiens board about him:

"He's not regressing. No one ever claimed that, either. The fact is that he hasn't improved nearly as much as the talent around him. He's a year older and is hardly better than last year. That's scary to teams. A guy who's stalled his development for a year from 17-18 is NOT a good thing.

He's going to have scored about 20 FEWER points than he did last year at the same time unless he makes up 20 points in 4 games.

He could potentially drop out of the top 10. Guys like Kane, Turris, JVR, etc. have all passed him by and left him in the dust."

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick hawk View Post

Not racist. Xenophobic, possibly.

Old
02-19-2007, 07:34 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I don't understand how McKeens could even JUSTIFY having him at #2. I called you/them out on it and never got a response. It was ludicrous then and it looks even sillier now that he's dropped like a rock according to you. I never understood why you guys had him there. It's almost like you didn't even watch him lately and ranked him on last year's hype!

"He's not regressing. No one ever claimed that, either. The fact is that he hasn't improved nearly as much as the talent around him. He's a year older and is hardly better than last year. That's scary to teams. A guy who's stalled his development for a year from 17-18 is NOT a good thing.

He's going to have scored about 20 FEWER points than he did last year at the same time unless he makes up 20 points in 4 games.

He could potentially drop out of the top 10. Guys like Kane, Turris, JVR, etc. have all passed him by and left him in the dust."
MMM... i don't think he has regressed (or not improved). Last year, he was just playing with better teammates and this year, he's playing on a much much weaker team.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
MMM... i don't think he has regressed (or not improved). Last year, he was just playing with better teammates and this year, he's playing on a much much weaker team.
All that means is that he folds when he has to carry the load.

20 points is 20 points. This is his draft year. He should DEFINITELY have more points than he has.

All I've seen is excuses for his mediocre play.

Old
02-19-2007, 07:45 PM
espo*

Quote:

You called him (espo) out long ago and so far you seem to be on target.

He's underwhelming,not that he does'nt have talent but that he ain't what he was cracked up to be.A guy like V.O.B here has also let the "S" word go in regards to him.........bad sign for me.

You said months ago you would'nt be surprised if he falls out of the top ten and that may prove rather prophetic.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
You called him (espo) out long ago and so far you seem to be on target.

He's underwhelming,not that he does'nt have talent but that he ain't what he was cracked up to be.A guy like V.O.B here has also let the "S" word go in regards to him.........bad sign for me.

You said months ago you would'nt be surprised if he falls out of the top ten and that may prove rather prophetic.
While he's outside of my own PERSONAL top 10, I would hesitate to say that he'd fall out of it at the draft, unfortunately. I think that some poor sap is going to take the kid up there and wind up looking at 3 or 4 kids picked after him that are much better.

Hype is hype. And, for better or for worse, Espo's got hype. He's been hyped for 2 years or so now. With all the bro-ha-ha about his QMJHL draft and such, you'd think the kid was dominating.

About as far from it as possible.

Old
02-19-2007, 08:11 PM
espo*

Certainly true thus far.

I've heard that word now ...............soft.Hey,maybe it's not true but i have a feeling the guy could warrant the tag. I do respect V.O.B's take on these guys and when he says something like that my ears perk up.

what kind of player do you see when you watch him play? negatives and positives?

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 11:11 PM
turnbuckle*

I'm not sure McKeen's deserves to be singled out for having Espo in it's top two for January. CS has Espo ranked first overall lest we forget.

As was very clearly stated at the time of out January rankings, the top dozen were far from a consensus, and will be moving around all season; it was also conceded that Espo could indeed move down with disappointing performances.

Several pro scouts were still liking his offensive potential right up until the past month, as were a couple of our QMJHL contacts; in fact many scouts still have him in the top five skill wise.... head-wise - he's far from it right now. I queried several pro scouts in December and early January and all had Espo in their top five at the time, and several had him right at the top of the overall list.

Since then Turris, Cherepanov, and Kane have clearly outplayed him (Kane has all season), as have Gagner, Alzner, vanRiemsdyk, and several others. He's been producing more than most eligible prospects, but he's not getting his points through any type of concerted effort; most coming from the point on the power play.

I personally had only seen him once this season up until the past six weeks, but I've seen him several times since and have been thoroughly disappointed.

I for one am not going to fret about what the rankings were in January when May comes around. Hell - I'm not going to worry about what my February rankings were, or March. I knew there'd be changes, and there will continue to be plenty of moves.

Who knows; Espo could catch fire, lead Quebec back to a long charge in the Q playoffs and still end up going first overall. No one should be jumping to any profound conclusions until May rolls around.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 08:20 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
While he's outside of my own PERSONAL top 10, I would hesitate to say that he'd fall out of it at the draft, unfortunately. I think that some poor sap is going to take the kid up there and wind up looking at 3 or 4 kids picked after him that are much better.

Hype is hype. And, for better or for worse, Espo's got hype. He's been hyped for 2 years or so now. With all the bro-ha-ha about his QMJHL draft and such, you'd think the kid was dominating.

About as far from it as possible.
Jon, if his fall continues, and he was available when the Rangers were picking, would you gamble on taking him? My guess is that he doesn't sound like the type of player the Rangers would take, but, he is a skilled center.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Jon, if his fall continues, and he was available when the Rangers were picking, would you gamble on taking him? My guess is that he doesn't sound like the type of player the Rangers would take, but, he is a skilled center.
You know what, depending on who else is around him (I have him rated in the teens), why not? I think he's certainly better than the lower tier players, so I think they could take a chance on him.

Old
02-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I'm not sure McKeen's deserves to be singled out for having Espo in it's top two for January. CS has Espo ranked first overall lest we forget.
Of course they do as well. But you're the one who posts here from either of the places, so I figured I could FINALLY get a response from you on the Espo situation if I specifically called out McKeens (who I am a subscriber of their online services for the last two years).

Quote:
As was very clearly stated at the time of out January rankings, the top dozen were far from a consensus, and will be moving around all season; it was also conceded that Espo could indeed move down with disappointing performances.
I know it was stated, but couldn't any of you see that there were guys much more deserving to be up there than he was!? I mean, the kid isn't even close to being on pace of hitting LAST YEARS point totals! That's not even taking into account his mediocre play and the extremely solid play of others who flew by him around November/December. I think most people were stuck in "hype mode" still on him.

Quote:
Several pro scouts were still liking his offensive potential right up until the past month, as were a couple of our QMJHL contacts; in fact many scouts still have him in the top five skill wise.... head-wise - he's far from it right now. I queried several pro scouts in December and early January and all had Espo in their top five at the time, and several had him right at the top of the overall list.
But I think EVERYONE likes his offensive potential. He has a lot of it! I like it, too! I think he can be a 70 point center if he can manage to put it ALL together. Now, whether or not he can do this is the debatable issue here. I don't see many traits in his game that shows that he is going to be able to put everything together. That's my real qualm with him. He hasn't even put his game from last year together. He's got a long way to go.

And anyone who had him at the top of their list at December and January must not have seen much of him around then. I'm sure that they only view guys every so often, so that's the only thing that would make sense to me.

Quote:
Since then Turris, Cherepanov, and Kane have clearly outplayed him (Kane has all season), as have Gagner, Alzner, vanRiemsdyk, and several others. He's been producing more than most eligible prospects, but he's not getting his points through any type of concerted effort; most coming from the point on the power play.
IMO, Gagner, Alzner, JVR, Kane, and Turris have all been better than him for most of the season, if not all of it. Turris was the last one to really outshine him out of that group. I wasn't sold on Cherepanov for a while, but reports out of Russia say the dude is a stud. I'll go with that any day of the week!

And yes, he is producing well but in a league that is known for having inflated point totals. It concerns me a lot that his production has gone down. He's a year older in his development and a year stronger and smarter. I don't understand what's going on in his game.

Perhaps he just was flat out never as good as once billed?

Quote:
I personally had only seen him once this season up until the past six weeks, but I've seen him several times since and have been thoroughly disappointed.
I saw him a few times last year and a few times this year (thanks to the wonders of the internet). I thought his game last year was somewhat questionable but I didn't really rule him out of being a "elite prospect" with #1 pick potential until THIS season. And man alive has he dropped.

Quote:
I for one am not going to fret about what the rankings were in January when May comes around. Hell - I'm not going to worry about what my February rankings were, or March. I knew there'd be changes, and there will continue to be plenty of moves.
I probably won't care what was said in February and January in May as well, but since I pay for the site I get kind of ticked when something so obvious to most people is overlooked by a group that charges for it's services. That's all. I love McKeens and have usually agreed with them in the past, but this was downright ludicrous, IMO.

Old
02-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Genghis Keon

Quote:

But I think EVERYONE likes his offensive potential. He has a lot of it! I like it, too! I think he can be a 70 point center if he can manage to put it ALL together. Now, whether or not he can do this is the debatable issue here. I don't see many traits in his game that shows that he is going to be able to put everything together. That's my real qualm with him. He hasn't even put his game from last year together. He's got a long way to go.
Can you elaborate on your opinion of his potential? I haven't seen him much (maybe 5 or so games on tv) and don't have much of a read on him as a player because he never stood out as much as I hoped and I was just watching the games instead of particularly looking for him individually, but you can still see flashes where he shows his skills (the skills every scouting report writes about), so when you combine that with his size (which isn't that bad at 6'1 and he can probably fill out to a listed 190 or so, even if he never becomes a workout freak), I can see a potential realistic upside as a useful point per game player, who can put up the points offensively and has the size and speed to be a bit of a pain defensively (or at least not a total liability down low or in the transition game), if he puts it all together and is dedicated. However, I think he also has the potential to put up 60-70 useless points, just coasting, particularly if he's on bad teams (so like the Czerkawski syndrome,where he can put up the points if you play him, but if you're anything but a bottom feeder, you don't want to gice him the ice time because it's just not worth it overall).

So when you're talking about him having a 70 point realistic upside (to kind of put words in your mouth), are you just talking about offensively being gifted enough to put up 70 points (so he's basically defined by just his offensive skills) or being a legitimate centre, who happens to be able to put up 70 points (so he's more defined as a good player, but a good player who happens to be able to net 70 points a year), if you see what I'm asking? Because if you're talking purely offensive potential and offensive potential only, 70 points isn't terribly appealing as a prospect at all, but if you're talking about a potentially good player who puts up 70 points, it looks a lot better, even if he still has a lot of work to do.

So basically I'm just looking for a more elaborate read on what kind of player you think he has the potential of realistically becoming (and while this is directed to you, it's not limited to you, so if anyone has any informed opinions, especially the turnbuckles and steblicks of the board, please do throw in your two cents, if you have opinions on Esposito).

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Id say Alex Tanguay.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 08:28 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
i went to see the remparts play against the fogdevils a few weeks ago and he wasnt as great as i expected. maybe its where they assumed they would have no problem with the devils. He isnt as fast as i thought and he is bigger than i thought. When i heard people talk about this guy i thought he was this small, fast, exciting phil kessel type player. He does have great vision and sees the ice well its just i expected him to be the best skater on the ice by far. The best skater on the ice was Mario Kempe who plays with the fog devils..

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote