HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Shanahan's story

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 02:44 AM
The Imp

vCash: 50
Shanahan's story

hey all

I'm a hockey fan all round - prefer the Oilers.

Anyways, I had a question about Shanahan. He was drafted by the Devils, then signed as a free agent by St. Louis in 91.

Original link won't work, but go here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player_list.asp and type in shanahan...

He played a few productive seasons for the Devils, why did they let him go? Did it have something to do with the CBA at the time? Just some lore on a great player, s'all.

Last edited by The Imp: 12-09-2003 at 02:50 AM.
Old
12-09-2003, 02:48 AM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 560
[Check link]

Old
12-09-2003, 02:55 AM
The Imp

vCash: 50
hmm, maybe...

did it have something to do with scott stevens? they switched teams at about the same time...

Old
12-09-2003, 06:26 AM
DutchLeafsfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
I think it worked this way:

1. The Blues sign Scott Stevens form the Caps, which costs them 5 1st rounders.
2. The Blues sign Brendan Shanahan (RFA I believe) from the Devils. As compensation the NHL awarded Scott Stevens to the Devils.
3. The Blues attempt to sign Stevens to an offersheet. Devils match but are suspsicious. Investigations result in the Blues being charged for tampering. Devils get $1.4 million, a choice of 1 of the Blues' first rounders in the next five years, as well as a right to swap 1st rounders once during the next five years.
4. Blues deal Brendan Shanahan to Hartford for Chris Pronger.
5. Hartford deal Brendan Shanahan and Brian Glynn to Detroit for Paul Coffey, Keith Primeau and a 1st rounder (Nikos Tselios)

Old
12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Hecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
I think it worked this way:

4. Blues deal Brendan Shanahan to Hartford for Chris Pronger.
Part of the reason that Shanahan got shipped to Hartford other than because Keenan was GM was because Brendan had actually had an affair with Craig Janney's wife (whose now Shanahan's wife). This caused a big stir in the locker room and he had to get moved.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:25 AM
tmg

Way back then, the NHL awarded players as compensation for player signings. Not draft picks. When an RFA was signed, the players' new team and the player's former team each submit a request for what they believe to be fair compensation for the selection. The Blues' proposal was "Curtis Joseph and Rod Brind'Amour". The Devils' proposal was "Scott Stevens". And the arbitrator ruled the Devils' request more fair compensation for the Shanahan signing.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Yeah, New Jersey convinced the arbitrator that Brind'amour and Joseph was a lowball offer since they already had Brodeur.

As for the tampering charge, didn't that happen many years after the fact? Also, I don't think it had to do with the RFA offer sheet...I think what happened is right before Stevens was to become unrestricted the Blues initiated some contract talks. Stevens ended up re-signing in NJ and *years* later the Blues were dinged for tampering.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:39 AM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Yeah, New Jersey convinced the arbitrator that Brind'amour and Joseph was a lowball offer since they already had Brodeur.
Brodeur hadn't played a single pro game yet at that point and wasn't even the top drafted goalie in his draft year. I don't think the existence of an unproven QMJHL goalie in their system really had any impact on the arbitrator's decision. Back then, Trevor Kidd was thought to be the Next Big Thing, not Brodeur.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:41 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Brodeur wasn't a factor when determining the compensation.

The first season where Brodeur saw significant icetime was 1993-94, he played 47 games.

The Shanahan signing was in the summer of 1991.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:42 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
Brodeur hadn't played a single pro game yet at that point and wasn't even the top drafted goalie in his draft year. I don't think the existence of an unproven QMJHL goalie in their system really had any impact on the arbitrator's decision. Back then, Trevor Kidd was thought to be the Next Big Thing, not Brodeur.
damn beat me to it :mad:

Old
12-09-2003, 11:56 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg
As if Curtis Joseph, with a whole 45 games behind his belt was some proven NHL commodity.

Anyways, I've seen the arbitration hearing explained this way in two books now, Net Worth and Mike Keenan's biography. It makes sense, to me.

Old
12-09-2003, 12:43 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
As if Curtis Joseph, with a whole 45 games behind his belt was some proven NHL commodity.
The was the difference, Brind'amour & CuJo were both essentially rookies. Their value hadn't been fully established yet.

The hope of Brodeur didn't have anything to do with Stevens being the choice.

Old
12-09-2003, 01:46 PM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Also, I don't think it had to do with the RFA offer sheet...I think what happened is right before Stevens was to become unrestricted the Blues initiated some contract talks.
Stevens was under contract and about to become a RFA when the Blues and Stevens actually AGREED to a contract.

Closed Thread